Start by marking “A Thousand Splendid Suns” as Want to Read:

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

4.33  ·  Rating Details ·  787,651 Ratings  ·  40,596 Reviews
Born a generation apart and with very different ideas about love and family, Mariam and Laila are two women brought jarringly together by war, by loss and by fate. As they endure the ever escalating dangers around them—in their home as well as in the streets of Kabul—they come to form a bond that makes them both sisters and mother-daughter to each other, and that will ulti ...more
Audio CD, Abridged, 12 pages
Published 2007 by Simon & Schuster Audio

To ask other readers questions about A Thousand Splendid Suns, please sign up.

Stephanie Having just finished reading both, I actually had a hard time with this question personally. The thing is, for much of the length of the book, I found…moreHaving just finished reading both, I actually had a hard time with this question personally. The thing is, for much of the length of the book, I found I ENJOYED The Kite Runner maybe a little more than A Thousand Splendid Suns, but not because the latter was any worse.. it just had very few reprieves from the anger and sadness I felt for the characters. It had a huge emotional effect on me, but that effect left me almost dreading reading more for fear of even worse things happening.

The Kite Runner, while incredibly emotional and also incredibly angering at times, I found it was easier for me to get through because there were also a lot of beautiful and more tender moments. So both had a very powerful impact on me, but I still found myself longing for the balance between beauty and sadness in The Kite Runner over the horrible circumstances the characters had to endure in A Thousand Splendid Suns.

All of that said, by the end I really felt like A Thousand Splendid Suns achieved that balance as well- it just took some time to get there. The last quarter or so of the story were so powerful and well written to me, and made me fall in love with these characters and their incredible strength and the relationships between them, rather than just feeling awful and nervous about what more they might have to go through. And that's not to say that it's only the ending that's good- it's more that, like the characters in the story, you just have to keep getting through the really painful stuff in order to appreciate the love and the good that's formed there despite it all as well.

I still do adore The Kite Runner so so much, and in terms of my own personal connection to the story, I'd probably just leave it at that both stories had a huge impact on me and I found them both stunning :) Having completed A Thousand Splendid Suns in its entirely, I don't think I can say I love it more or less than The Kite Runner.. I just adore them both.

In terms of which is technically written better? Hmm... perhaps ATSS, mostly because I thought the structure of it was really lovely, and lent a lot to the story at hand (also because, admittedly, The Kite Runner does get quite heavy on the coincidences toward the end). Then again, I did love the use of Amir's narration in The Kite Runner as well, and the first person narration was something I missed in ATSS until, again, the latter part of the book where I started to see a clear picture of how the structure of the book was being used to enhance the story. So they're both just beautifully written and make excellent use of their respective narrative structures and voice.

So, very long story short: Do read A Thousand Splendid Suns if you enjoyed The Kite Runner! They're both some of my favorite books I've read recently, and stories of true human resilience and love.. and it WAS really great to get a female perspective on the Afghan experience. Just do be prepared that it is not a FUN read, and can be quite tough to get through for the first while.. more so than The Kite Runner which gives you some good breaks from the sadness throughout. (less)

Jan 27, 2008 Lucy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Dec 03, 2013 Anu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
August 2007

I was riding in a cab in Bombay recently, and a bookseller on foot approached me at a traffic light with a stack of books. I did my best not to look at the boy, but I couldn't help it. He was waving several books in my face and something caught my eye. I thought my glance was discreet, but he saw me look.. and it was game over. The light turned green right then and the boy starts running with the cab yelling 'Memsahib! Memsahib!'. We're picking up speed.. I'm so scared he's going to g
Like diamonds and roses hidden under bomb rubble, this is a story of intense beauty and strength buried under the surface of the cruel and capricious life imposed upon two Afghani women.
She remembered Nana saying once that each snowflake was a sigh heaved by an aggrieved woman somewhere in the world. That all the sighs drifted up the sky, gathered into clouds, then broke into tiny pieces that fell silently on the people below. As a reminder of how people like us suffer, she'd said. How quiet
Mar 15, 2013 Daniel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Daniel by: Rose
Shelves: 2009
It's apparently becoming something of a tradition for me to trash books that are not only widely loved and praised, but were specifically recommended to me by friends. Khaled Hosseini's "A Thousand Splended Suns," I'm sorry to say, is going to get the same treatment. (Forgive me, Rose.) "Splendid Suns" has been so widely read by this point, I won't bother recounting the story, and instead simply list my objections:

- Hosseini seems incapable of creating characters with much depth to them. E.M. Fo
❁ بــدريــه ❁

( كل ندفة ثلج هي تنهيدة ثقيلة من امرأة محزونة
في مكان ما في العالم. كل تلك التنهيدات التي
تنساق باتجاه السماء تتجمع في الغيوم ثم
تتساقط بهدوء على شكل قطع صغيرة على الناس.
تذكيرًا بالنساء اللواتي يعانين مثلنا، كيف نتحمل
بصمت كل الذي يقع على كاهلنا دعيني أخبرك
شيئا قلب الرجل مثير للأسى؛ إنه مثير للأسى يا
مريم إنه ليس كرحم الأم إنه لا ينزف الدم )

حين شرعتُ في قراءة آخرى لخالد الحسيني
كنت أعلم أني بصدد قصة بائسة و حزينة،
هكذا هو الحديث عن أفغانستان بؤس و شقاء
و وجع . البؤس هنا سيجتاز الحدود ويعبر ا
Sep 14, 2008 K rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who actually thought "The Kite Runner" was a good book
Recommended to K by: Shelly
To my editor:

Khaled here. As I was reviewing my final draft of “A Thousand Splendid Suns,” some questions occurred to me.

1. Could I make the characters any less complex? Despite my efforts, I feel I haven’t fully achieved the one-dimensionality my readers seemed to love in “The Kite Runner.” Specifically, I’m afraid I may have given Rassan one or two potentially sympathetic moments early on despite his overall abusive personality (although I more than make up for it). I don’t know whether my rea
I have never cried while reading a book,like I Did while reading this one!

It is the story of poor, uneducated women who have to endure the hardships of life...
The horrors and terrors that a lot of women have gone through during certain period in Afghanistan, the war torn country ,and the narration through the lives of two women Mariam and Laila..

Going through All kinds of Physical abuse of hitting, kicking and slapping ,brutal beating ,etc….
Struggling the cruel extremely sadistic Rasheed, And s
Emily May
Aug 05, 2013 Emily May rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

It was a warm, sunny day in Montenegro and I was about to set out on a boat trip. I felt certain that a combination of sightseeing and the people I was with would keep me from having much time to read, but I packed a book anyway just in case there was time for a chapter or two in between stops. A Thousand Splendid Suns happened to be that book. And at the end of the day, when I staggered off that boat, blinking at my sudden exposure to reality, it wasn't because I'd been mesmerised by the stunn
Sep 16, 2007 Don rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Suns is part historical fiction, part social commentary and part kick-in-the-throat storytelling. A friend of mine said that Suns is a metaphor for Afghanistan but I found it illustrative of Afghanistan's weary and violent history; I found it brutally educational. When I had studied in Germany in 1987, I lived in an international dormitory. I asked my neighbor, Hyder, where he was from, he leaned in to me with a devilish grin and hissed “Afghanistan!” While others found this amusing, the effect ...more
Lynne King
Sep 08, 2013 Lynne King rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started this book with high expectations. I had been overwhelmed with every conceivable emotion when I read the “Kite Runner” and just couldn’t believe that his second book, “A Thousand Splendid Suns”, could possibly be as good.

So it was with trepidation and yet excitement that I read this book. I had left the last dozen or so pages to read until the following morning, as I didn’t want to quite let it go, and as I sat there at 7 a.m. on the terrace, with a cup of coffee in my hand, I slowly fi
Nandakishore Varma
Tom Carrico
Mar 29, 2008 Tom Carrico rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book Review

By Khaled Hosseini

Reviewed by Tom Carrico

It’s amazing that this author has the #1 fiction paperback (The Kite Runner) and the #1 fiction hardback (A Thousand Splendid Suns) on “The New York Times” bestseller list. The Kite Runner has sold over four millions copies since its release in 2003. It is a hauntingly written novel set in war-torn Afghanistan. It is exceptionally well plotted and opens the window on a part of the world that very few of us are familiar w
ياسمين ثابت

تصميمي لغلاف الرواية

ألف شمس مشرقة

وألف دمعة وألف طعنة للقلب مع كل سطر من سطور هذه الرواية

اللقاء الأول بيني وبين خالد حسيني

واللقاء الأول كذلك بيني وبين افغانستان وتاريخها وحضارتها في رواية

نصيحة لأي قارئ إذا تألمت واستعصى عليك بالبكاء فإقرأ هذه الرواية واضمن لك ان دموعك لن تستطيع المقاومة
ستبكي وتبكي وتبكي وتبكي

أكبر شمس مشرقة بالرواية كانت مريم

الفتاة يتيمة الأب وهو حي يتيمة الأم وهي حبيسة وجعها
ترمى إلى قدمي رجل يكبرها ضعف عمرها مطلق من أجل التخلص منها
تنطفئ وتظلم تحت طبقات كثيرة جدا من الظلم والقهر ا
May 30, 2008 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: middle class liberal white women
Recommended to Rachel by: middle class liberal white woman
Ahmed Ibrahim

خالد حسيني ليس كاتب مثل الآخرين يكتب بالحروف، بل هو جرحٌ متقيح سال صديده على الورق ومنه تشكلت رواياته المفجعة.. واحد من القلائل القادرين على انتزاع تأوهاتي وإثارة رجفتي بكلماته.

هذه رواية عن الحب، والصداقة، والأمومة، والفقد، والفراق، والوجع، والألم.. آهٍ، وآهٍ، وآه من هذه الرواية!
هدفها الأول هو إظهار معاناة النساء الأفغان، حيث يصور امرأتين من جيلين مختلفين لكل منهما معاناتها الخاصة التي خاضتها في صغرها، ثم يجمعهما القدر في بيتٍ واحد خاضعان لزوجٍ واحد دفعتهما الظروف للزواج منه.

الجزء الأول من ال
Oct 12, 2012 طَيْف rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

مريم يا وجع القلب!

قادتني الرواية برفقة "مريم" في دروب أفغانستان الوعرة...بكل ما فيها من أحداث جسيمة واضطرابات وحروب وقهر وظلم وتخبط...فمن خلال حكايتها وحكاية ليلى التي تقاطعت معها فيما بعد ألقى الكاتب الضوء على العديد من الأحداث التي مرت بأفغانستان وشكلت التاريخ الأفغاني بدءا بانتهاء الحكم الملكي وبالاحتلال الروسي ومن ثم بحكم طالبان والحرب الأمريكية على أفغانستان.

هذه الرواية من الروايات التي تتباين حولها الآراء...لأنها تعالج واقعا متأزما المجال فيه مفتوح لكثير من التصورات والتحليلات...ولأنها ركز
I loved The Kite Runner, but A Thousand Splendid Suns is even better. This book is described as breathtaking, and I have to say that is a teensy bit of an understatement.

There were times, reading this, when I literally couldn't breathe, and felt like the bottom had dropped out of my stomach. But this story is beautiful, and enlightening and hopeful even through all the gritty, heart-wrenching, almost physically painful emotional rawness of it.

I am surprised at how well Hosseini writes from a w
Hasham Rasool
It was an awesome book Alhamdulillah.

My favourite characters are Mariam and Mullah Faizullah.

I felt sorry for those two women. They are suffered by theirs husband. I believe men should treat women with respect.

Men and women are equal.
Moaz Mohamed
.. رواية أكثر من رائعة

.. عندما تقرأ هذه الرواية لن تستطيع أن تتحكم في مشاعرك .. أضمن لك أنك ستحزن طوال هذه الرواية بإستثناء أجزاء بسيطة للغاية

.. رواية عن أفغانستان .. أفغانستان التي دمرها السوفييت ومن ثم المجاهدون ومن ثم الطالبان ومن ثم أمريكا في أقل من 35 عامًا

.. بالتأكيد ستشفق على مريم الـ " حرامي " .. التي لم ترى من هذه الدنيا سوى وجهها القبيح

ستشفق أيضًا على ليلى .. كيف كانت مثقفة ومفعمة بالنشاط وكيف أصبحت بعد زواجها

.. ومن ثم ستشفق على نساء أفغانستان

.. كيف منح المجاهدون أنفسهم السلطات الت
After reading the book I was speechless for about two hours. It was as though I was unceremoniously dropped back into my life after a volatile flight in a time machine which took me unexpectedly to Afghanistan. I met Miriam, Laila, Rasheed, Tariq - gentle, brutal, sadistic, happy, sad people in one place - ordinary people, who make mistakes, like you and me.

I was thinking about the 9/11 attack on the Twin Towers and the media coverage it received all over the globe and the outrage the rest of th
Jan 06, 2015 Pip rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
I honestly feel like no review I could ever write would do this book justice. Within the first 20 pages I had fallen for Hosseini's compelling writing, I felt inspired by the wonderfully brave characters, and I learnt A LOT. An utterly astonishing, beautiful and heart-breaking read. And one of my new all time favourites.
I cannot put into words how deeply this book has affected me, and for now that's all I really have to say.
mai ahmd
Jan 04, 2014 mai ahmd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: روايات
ستبقى ذكرى هذه الرواية مرتبطة باللقاء الأول مع أصدقاء صالون الجمعة لذلك فضلت أن أسجل هذا للتاريخ :)
المؤسف أننا قرأنا هذه الرواية الجميلة بترجمة ليست بنفس الجودة وأنا على ثقة أنه لو كانت الرواية بيد أكثر
خبرة وإتقان لكانت مكتملة

سلطت الرواية الضوء على فئة مغبونة وموجودة في كل مجتمع الفئة التي يطلق عليها ( ابن ، ابنة حرام ) وربما التركيز هنا على الفتاة لإن المجتمعات التي نعيش فيها هي مجتمعات ذكورية الرجل قد يسلك فيها بأي طريقة لكن الفتاة وفي مجتمع إسلامي فالفتاة تولد وقد وئدت كل حقوقها وأصبحت منذ
Oct 13, 2015 Ahmed rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

في شقين اثنين مهمين جدًا عند الحديث عن أي عمل مكتوب , الأول منهما ,
وهو الحديث عن تفاصيل العمل وثناياه و تلك الجزيئات البسيطة والتي من خلالها نقدم عرض كامل لهذا العمل.

والشق الثاني : هو الحديث المطلق , العام , الذي لا يختص جزئية ما بالحديث في مقابل الحديث عن هذا الكائن الموجود بين أيدينا والذي نتأمله بعمومية لكي نعطيه حقه .

نحن هنا أمام عمل ينتمي للفصيلة الثانية , وهي فصيلة الروايات الكائنات , تلك الأعمال التي تشعر من خلالها بحيوية متناسقة بين عناصرها للدرجة التي تظن أنه لا يوجد سوى عنصر واحد.

Amira Mahmoud

تصطدم بواقع وجماعة تقرر عنك مصيرك، تقرر إيمانك من عدمه
إلهام مزيود
May 09, 2014 إلهام مزيود rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites

بدأنا القراءة في صالون الجمعة ... كان جو الأصدقاء رائع ومحفز للقراءة أكثر وبطريقة أجمل .

في الجزء الأول من رائعة خالد الحسيني لم أستطع تصور حجم الألم الداخلي لهذه الزهرة البرية التي تدعى مريم ؟

كيف استطاعت وهي ابنة الخمس سنين أن تتحمل أذنها سماع كلمة بحجم كلمة - ابنة حرام- ؟ أن تتعايش معها أن تحسها ، أن تتخبط في التساؤلات اللا منتهية ، دون ان تسمع الاجابة التي لربما تمحي بعضا من ألمها ، كيف؟ كيف؟

كانت حواسها ممزقة منذ لحظة زرعت عنوة، ونبتت عنوة، وانتشت عنوة، لتسقى عند انتاشها اخيرا بعبارات الازدرا
Oh my god, this book. Where do I start? The picturesque scenery. The nuanced characters. The well thought-out story line. See, that's the thing. I loved everything about this book, and that does not happen often. The book is so beautiful, my reading experience was surreal. There is no doubt that Khaled Hosseini is a master of the written word. His language is simple, yet the sheer beauty of it is astounding! Yes, beauty. I think that is the perfect word to describe this book. Not good, not great ...more
Jun 04, 2013 Rowena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: world-books
This book definitely left an indelible impression on me. It really helped me understand Afghanistan's tragic history (the revolutions, Soviet invasion, the Taliban) and also how religion can be used to control people. Mariam and Laila's sisterhood was wonderful to me; the fact that they joined forces to fight a tyrant was so touching to me.I definitely couldn't read this book more than once; it was too tragic. Great writing.
Jan 31, 2008 Ruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teens and up
Recommended to Ruth by: Cara
Shelves: fiction
Mar 28, 2016 Carmen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nicholas Sparks Fans
I'm beginning to think Hosseini is a one-trick pony.

Perhaps because I read this book immediately after I finished The Kite Runner, but this was just more of the same. Just swap out "little boys" for "women" in this book, and you've got about the same concept.

To be vague, but give you an idea of what's going on in this book:

- People are blown up. Their various body parts are found on rooftops and are gathered in the streets by their weeping mothers.

- Girls of 14 and 15 are sold into marriage by
Lance Greenfield
A very moving story which could change your life.

This is a work of fiction which is beautifully woven using many threads of both harsh and loving reality. I cannot believe that it could be possible for any reader to get through this book without shedding a tear. I shed many.

It is about the collision of the life-paths of two women who come from very different family backgrounds, but become the wives of the same, cruel husband in Kabul. They form an unlikely, strong, and loving, alliance.

The story
Bookworm Bitches : July 2016: A Thousand Splendid Suns 15 108 Sep 10, 2016 07:26PM
No Judgement Book...: What did you think? 1 9 Sep 10, 2016 12:23PM
recommendations: books about being a voice for the voiceless 3 9 Aug 29, 2016 06:29PM
The extent of pain and tolerence 1 3 Aug 28, 2016 11:34PM
HMSA Reads: Book Review: A Thousand Splendid Suns 1 5 Aug 23, 2016 04:37PM
No Judgement Book...: A Thousand Splendid Suns (Spoilers) 2 9 Aug 16, 2016 05:19AM
  • The Book of Negroes
  • The Septembers of Shiraz
  • The Blood of Flowers
  • Dreams of Joy (Shanghai Girls #2)
  • Honolulu
  • Birds Without Wings
  • Suite Française
  • The Geography of Bliss: One Grump's Search for the Happiest Places in the World
  • Boom!
  • The Russian Concubine (The Russian Concubine, #1)
  • Sister of My Heart (Anju and Sudha, #1)
  • Skeletons at the Feast
  • A Town Like Alice
  • The Space Between Us
  • In the Shadow of the Banyan
  • The Homecoming of Samuel Lake
  • Those Who Save Us
  • City of Thieves
Hosseini was born in Kabul, Afghanistan, in 1965. In 1970 Hosseini and his family moved to Iran where his father worked for the Embassy of Afghanistan in Tehran. In 1973 Hosseini's family returned to Kabul, and Hosseini's youngest brother was born in July of that year.
In 1976, when Hosseini was 11 years old, Hosseini's father obtained a job in Paris, France, and moved the family there. They were u
More about Khaled Hosseini...

“Marriage can wait, education cannot.” 1807 likes
“One could not count the moons that shimmer on her roofs,
Or the thousand splendid suns that hide behind her walls.”