O Rabi

O Rabi

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  681 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Corajoso e intrépido, Michael Kind já era Rabi, quando se apaixonou por Leslie, filha de um pastor protestante, e se casou com ela. Esta é a história de ambos, um drama impetuoso de amor e conflito de identidades, de compaixão e crueldade, a história de um homem e de uma mulher que têm de aprender a lidar com as complicações de uma vida pouco comum num mundo onde Judeus e...more
Published by Bertrand Editora (first published 1965)

Sharon Tzur
The book is certainly readable - Gordon has a nice writing style, but I found the book rather disappointing. The book has an interesting story, but everything related to "being a Rabbi", or Judaism, is so superficial.

First, Michael Kind's decision to become a Rabbi come out of nowhere - the only clue being the name of the book. The link with his grandfather and some months study is not enough to explain why he suddenly decides to become a Rabbi. And then, despite his learning with an Orthodox R...more
Diane
The Rabbi was Gordon's first book. It is the story of Michael Kind, a rabbi who was raised in the NY / NJ area in the 1920s-1940s. He is heavily influenced by his close relationship with his grandfather who was an immigrant from eastern Europe. Michael meets, falls in love with and marries a minister's daughter who converts to Judaism. The story is told from Rabbi Kind's present time (in the 1960s) back to his childhood, then through the years as a teen, college-aged young man, and as a rabbi, m...more
Cyndi
Noah Gordon's first novel. About a man's journey (told through several layers of flashbacks, plus some other character viewpoints) to becoming a Rabbi and finding the congregation that fits him. Most of the book is a 3 but I gave it a 4 because it grew on me. The characters interested me less than the journey. The different styles of Judaism and of synagogue life. Each and every one of his congregations was completely different from the other, despite all of them technically being Reform.

Gordon...more
Sue
Rabbi Michael Kind is married to a woman who converted to Judaism in order to marry him. This has caused issues with the various synagogues where he has served, as well as causing issues in his marriage. The story alternates between the present (1964) and the past as Michael grew up, began ministry, met Leslie and they travelled together around the country.
An enjoyable read and interesting statement on American Judaism. The only real downer for me was the scattering of Hebrew which was not tra...more
Pnyxis
El Rabino es un libro que encontré estas vacaciones, en la casa rural en la que pasé quince días con mi familia. Ya había leído dos libros de Noah Gordon, El Médico, que me gustó mucho y Chamán, que también me gustó aunque me resultó algo lento.

El libro narra la vida de Michael Kind, un rabino reformista, desde su infancia en un barrio judío de Nueva York hasta sus variadas experiencias como rabino en varias comunidades estadounidenses, pasando por su historia de amor con Leslie, hija de un reve...more
Charlotte
This book is written in the voice of Michael Kind, a rabbi. The book begins in 1964 when he is dealing with a major crisis in his life. However he flashes back in the story to his childhood, the decision to become a rabbi, falling in love with the daughter of a minister, the birth of his children and challenges within the parishes he serves. When Leslie, his wife, realizes she is in love with Michael, and knows that for Michael marriage to her would mean giving up being a rabbi, she begins a stu...more
Andrea Iniesta
A special touch about religiousness in a modern world. A deep personal trip trough own religion positions but more about WHAT TO STAND FOR.
Angel Serrano
Lo más interesante de la novela es el retrato que nos muestra de un rabino y de las diferentes comunidades en las que ejerce, desde la más exclusiva a la más necesitada y cómo su mujer se nefrentará a su familia por amor y le seguirá por el resto de su vida.
Heather Doherty
I discovered Noah Gordon a few months ago. I get a big thrill when I find a new-to-me historical fiction author, and I really liked the first 2 volumes of his Physician trilogy. This was his first novel and although it was not as smooth as those which followed it was an engaging story. As with the others I have read, the characters were the finest element. They are fully developed and inspired my empathy.
Sam Shiraishi
I loved Gordon's 11th century story (through Europe to an Arab medical school in Ispahan, Persia) where The Physician studies under the immortal physician Avicenna.
But his first novel, The Rabi, the story of Michael Kind, a young rabbi who falls in love with the daughter of a Protestant minister was boring. I can't understand how The Rabbi was on the The New York Times bestseller list for 26 weeks - or maybe I can imagine 'cause it's an epic of Judaism in America.
M
If it looks like trash, it is trash. This had potential - rabbi falls for Christian woman - but since none of the conflicts were actually featured in the story I am not sure what this author had in mind. I will say, though, that the traveling salesman rabbi life was captured quite nicely and I got a kick out of his wife saying at every new home they moved into - oh, I can see us staying here forever! Ha.
Joseph Janus
Not bad but sort of slow in the beginning. It is a story of a true life and it really pulls you into the struggles of the character. I must say it tugged at my heart strings towards the end because of my mom recently passing away. It really is about life; not perfect but with all the ups and downs.
Kiko Fábregas
05/09/1999
nota: 5

Es una historia doble de un rabino sobre los años 1960 y la evolución de este rabino hasta esos años desde que era niño. En la que se ven los problemas de los judíos y además se da una historia de amor que supera las religiones.
Es muy descriptivo
Monica
This novel follows Michael Kind, who is my parents age, from childhood through college and rabbinical training and his first assignments as a rabbi. I didn't find it at the same caliber as The Physician, but still liked it and found it interesting.
Wanda
This would have been so much better had it not skipped back and forth between 1939 and 1964. I read all the 1939 chapters and then finished the rest. Otherwise you would know the ending.
Mary Lou
Read this years ago and have recommended it to people ever since. Gordon does a wonderful job of depicting the joys and trials of inter-faith marriage. He's also a fine storyteller.
Jackie Fancher Danalewich
Good story about a Jewish/Christian love affair. Read this twice...once in high school, again last year. Still love the family story.
Florence
The characters developed and grew over a 30 year period. The story made me nostalgic for the 50s and for my lost Jewish heritage.
Matt
Me gustó. Aunque no sé si es bueno que lo lea alguien que no sabe mucho de judaísmo... tiene muchos errores y prejuicios.
Lenny Husen
I liked this book a lot. Romantic, interesting. Not a literary masterpiece, but a sincere celebration of the Jewish faith.
Christian Dechery
A very well told story, with a simple plot and believable characters to whom everyon can identify with. Fun to read.
Vikki
This is the story of a couple. She is a minister's daughter, he is a rabbi. It is their story and is very good.
Wendy
I couldn't stand that book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Judy
the book follows Rabbi Michael Kind's life. As he marries a non Jew & his two children Max & Rachel.
Andrula
It was entertaining to read about the life of a rabbi as a person instead of as a religious figure.
Eric
Not as much of a page turner as "The Physician", but very interesting, well written, and well researched.
Linda Anderson
Very good reading, not a page turner but very insightful I really enjoyed it
Jessica J.
ninguno de los libros de Gordon alcanza el nivel de El Médico. Entretenido
Linda Appelbaum
Good book about a rabbi...read years ago, just now adding to my list.
Emily
I loved this book as an insight into Jewish life and beliefs.
  • Dante's Equation
  • Der dunkle Thron (Waringham, #4)
  • Plenilunio
  • Smoke & Blue in the Face
  • Those Who Walk Away
  • Furin Kazan
  • Them
  • Das Geheimnis der Hebamme (Hebammen Saga, #1)
  • No se lo digas a nadie
  • Violet (V, #6)
  • On a Beam of Light (K-Pax, #2)
  • Die Puppenspieler
  • Ein König für Deutschland
  • Criptonomicón I: El Código Enigma (Criptonomicón, #1)
  • Nemesis
  • Die Wanderhure (Die Wanderhure, #1)
  • La sombra del águila
  • My Father's Notebook: A Novel of Iran
Noah Gordon is an American novelist. Some of the topics covered within his novels include medical history and medical ethics. More recently he has begun to focus more on themes relating to the Inquisition, and Jewish cultural history. His novel Shaman won the first James Fenimore Cooper Prize for Best Historical Fiction in 1993.

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads databas...more
More about Noah Gordon...
The Physician (Cole Family Trilogy, #1) Shaman (Cole Family Trilogy, #2) The Last Jew Matters of Choice (Cole Family Trilogy, #3) La Bodega