Start by marking “Margaret and Margarita - Margarita y Margaret” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Margaret and Margarita...

Lynn Reiser

Margaret and Margarita - Margarita y Margaret

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Margaret and Margarita
Margarita Y MargaretMargaret speaks English but not Spanish. Margarita speaks Spanish but not English. Can they still play? Of course they can! Join two robust girls who aren't about to let "anything" spoil their fun.
Published August 1st 1996 by Perfection Learning (first published September 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Margaret and Margarita - Margarita y Margaret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Margaret and Margarita - Margarita y Margaret

Katie
1. Summary: Margaret speaks English but not Spanish. Margarita speaks Spanish but not English. Can they still play? Of course they can! Join two robust girls who aren't about to let anything spoil their fun.

2. Reading level is intended for ages 4-8.

3. Genre is fiction

4. Specific Curricular Uses:
Independent reading: for student’s to investigate new words
Shared reading: investigating and learning from one another
Read aloud: For the younger students because of the new language

5. Social Issues the
Jessica Breighner
Margaret and Margarita
by, Lynn Reiser
1. Brief Summary:
2. Potential Audience:
Reading level is intended for ages 4-8
Topic is friends playing together who speak different languages
Genre is fiction
3. Specific Curricular Uses:
Guided reading: to help with the new words
Independent reading: for student’s to inv
Alxandra
Another neat bilingual book that I read as an adult to help teach me Spanish.

The book's premise provides a unique bilingual method. 2 girls, Margaret who speaks English and Margarita who speaks Spanish, meet at a park and become friends. Essentially, the book goes back and forth between Margaret (English) and Margarita (Spanish). They essentially say the same thing, one in English and one in Spanish, but not always. But from context and pictures, it is always very easy to figure out what was sa
Frances
I bought this book from the scholastic book catalogue when I was in 7th grade because it was bilingual. I guess it's no surprise I turned out how I am.

I like Margaret and Margarita better now then when I was 12. Back then I didn't like the Spanglish parts!
Kelsey Vayens
This picture book tells the story of two young girls. Both speak different languages, but they still want to play together despite the language barrier. This book shows that no matter what language you speak, friendship is universal. I feel that this book is a great book that can address bilingualism in the classroom. I understand that there will be student from various cultures that will make up my classroom, and I would definitely use this book to address that despite the language you speak or ...more
Amy B.
Jul 24, 2008 Amy B. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: early childhood educators/ parents of young children
Reiser, L. (1993). Margaret and Margarita. Greenwillow Books.

A story of friendship shows how language does not have to be a barrier. The text is presented in both English and Spanish. The picture clues make it easy to interpret and cue in on the unfamiliar language. The children converse, play and enjoy each others company as they create a friendship together. I would suggest this book to use with children ages two and up to discuss language, culture and friendship. I enjoyed reading the story a
Jessica Gunter
I picked this book because I like having bilingual books on my shelf. It teaches students it doesn't matter what language we speak we all can be friends.
Dawn Grabs
She also has a book called The Lost Ball which is really good.
Marg-Lo
I LOVED this sweet book! I checked it out from the library because I'm trying to teach my four-year-old son some Spanish, and we have had a lot of fun with it! It's a great starter book for children learning Spanish because it's about two little girls (one who speaks English and one who speaks Spanish) who express the same/similar ideas in different languages. I particularly appreciate the positive message about cross-cultural friendships.
Owlsome Readers
AR Level: 1.1
Points Value: 0.5
AR Quiz No. 18314
Sarah Kasper
I love this book because it is relevant to what is going on in classrooms today. There are many diverse classrooms and this book would be a great tool for helping students learn that kids who do not look like them might actually be very much like them! This is a great book to read early on to students so they can realize the importance of getting to know someone who comes from a different background.
Ashley Courtemanche
I thought this book was great. it shows the English and Spanish languages. Its about two girls that meet at the park. They have the same things in common with one another. Every page that is in English is also in Spanish. children can relate to it because they go to the park, they might meet some new friends. You can do many extension activities from the book by teaching Spanish words in the classroom.
Dolly
Jul 13, 2009 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun story, about the power of children to overcome language barriers, make friends, and learn a little about each other. The story is told in both Spanish and English and it is a great way to reinforce learning in either language, with simple words and polite phrases. It's a fun book to read aloud, especially if you can pronounce the words properly!
Chelsey Brown
This is a great book to integrate another language into children's lives. It also is a great book to show that just because someone might not speak the language you do or look the same way you do, that you can still be friends and play together. This is a really good book to start talking about different cultures with also.
Christie Suh
This is a fictional book about two girls, Margaret and Margarita who meet in the park and have fun playing together. Margaret only speaks English and Margarita only speaks Spanish. Even though they don’t speak the same language, they still have fun playing with one another. This book is written in English and in Spanish.
Heather
I really dont know if i would use this book in my classroom. The reasoning being and summary of this book is that there are two little girls that are friends and on speaks English and the other speaks Spanish. Margaret will speak something in English and then Margarita say the same thing back or say the answer in spanish.
Lucia Benzor
This book was about friendship. Two girls who don't speak the same language manage to communicate through play and even teach each other new words in their language. Bilingual so the readers can learn new words too. Nice addition to a friendship text set or multicultural friendship text set.
Rebecca Martin
This is a good book to keep in the classroom especially if you have an ESOL student because it is written in English and Spanish. The teacher can ask the ESOL student(s) to help her read the Spanish to the class. This book would be fun for the other students to learn a few Spanish words.
Heather
While I don't know Spanish, it was fun to read this bilingual book to my daughter. I always introduce her as "Margarita" to Spanish speakers, so I thought this would be a good book for her.
Angela
Bilingual children's book: 2 children meet, combine their vocabulary to learn each other's words and get their mothers to overcome their shyness toward each other. 32086 00446 9525 at CH.
Laurie
A good way to teach a few key words in Spanish to children. The two little girls are very similar though each speaks a different language.

Published in 1993.
Savannah
Fun book that incorporates english and spanish. My son has been interested in spanish since he occasionally watches Dora. He enjoyed this book.
Ms Threlkeld
A cute book written in both Spanish and English about two girls who meet at the park and become friends despite language barriers.
Ald
The messages are making friends, simelarities and differences. Good for ages 3-7. I whould use this book
Jane
Jun 01, 2008 Jane added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jane by: Gail Totten
Fun to read with James.
Kris
Kris added it
May 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
My Baby and Me Hardworking Puppies You and Me, Baby Ten Puppies Tortillas and Lullabies/Tortillas y cancioncitas