Start by marking “Missing Pieces” as Want to Read:
Missing Pieces

Missing Pieces

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,542 Ratings  ·  117 Reviews
How far will a mother go to protect her family from a madman?

An unrivaled master of psychological suspense, Joy Fielding has written her most chilling and intricate novel yet--a compulsively readable look at the razor-thin line between daily domesticity and nerve-shattering terror.

It had to end in blood.Family therapist Kate Sinclair, healer of lost souls, perfect wife and
Published July 6th 1998 by Island Books (first published April 3rd 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Missing Pieces, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Missing Pieces

Stephanie Dahlberg
I'm kinda new to Goodreads so I've been trying to really evaluate the books I've read from a literary perspective. Today I think I got over that. I don't have a literary background although I read quite a bit. Therefore, my focus from now on will be if I PERSONALLY ENJOYED THE SELECTION.

Missing Pieces is the first book I've read from this new attitude. I really, really liked it, although I spent quite a bit of time wanting to shake some sense into the main character. This woman was dealing with
Laurel-Rain
Sep 29, 2010 Laurel-Rain rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Therapist Kate Sinclair seeks to repair other people's lives. Her own stable marriage and handsome home are like the icing on the cake of a perfect life.

But when Kate's emotionally fragile sister Jo Lynn develops an obsession with alleged serial killer Colin Friendly, the first signs of trouble begin to appear. At around the same time, an old love interest from Kate's past surfaces and starts making overtures, even tempting Kate with her own call-in radio show (he owns several radio stations). A
Elusive
Apr 22, 2016 Elusive rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
In ‘Missing Pieces’, therapist Kate Sinclair attempts to help people with their dilemmas but ironically, she’s unable to cope with her own set of problems. Her husband Larry is somewhat distant and spends most of his time golfing, her eldest daughter Sara is rebellious and out of control, her mother has Alzheimer’s and her sister Jo Lynn is hell bent on marrying Colin who’s on trial for the murder of 13 women. Plus, her former flame Robert is back in her life and she’s having a hard time resisti ...more
Stacy
Mar 14, 2016 Stacy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
I didn't like this one as much as Someone is Watching, but it definitely held my interest.
Mi Camino Blanco
Puedo soportar una historia que no me guste, a menudo se aprende mucho de ellas, pero reconozco que mi nivel de tolerancia es muchísimo más bajo cuando se trata de los personajes. Si éstos no me agradan, es muy difícil para mí continuar leyendo. Aún así, fiel a mi costumbre de no dejar ningún libro inacabado (muy pocas veces lo he hecho), he conseguido finalizar esta historia de intriga.

No me ha gustado la protagonista, que para ser psicoterapeuta, parece más necesitada de terapia que sus pacie
Bcgrad
May 26, 2009 Bcgrad rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Favorite Quote: "My whole life feels like one of those giant jigsaw puzzles, the kind that takes forever to put together, & then just when you finally think you've got it, you discover that all the key pieces are missing."
Ella
Sep 24, 2011 Ella rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
the book was long, pointless, and rambling. i nearly gave up on the book several times. JoLynn has got to be the dumbest character ever.
Yosra Abdelkader
Aug 19, 2016 Yosra Abdelkader rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favs :)
Sandra
Oct 10, 2011 Sandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. It had me hooked right away, telling of a terrible occurrence without specifics. I was eager to know what had happened & to whom it had happened.
The characters were all interesting and I stayed curious to know more about each person as I continued to read this book.
I would love to say more, but I don't want to give anything away. I will say that I loved the references to the title "Missing Pieces," and the way it related to so many of the characters.
Eunira
Feb 16, 2011 Eunira rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing
This is the kind of book I don't enjoy but keep on reading. It makes you wonder about human nature - how someone can fall in love with a convicted murderer - but we know this really happens. As a therapist, Kate Sinclair seeks to heal other people's lives, while her own is falling apart. Rebellious teenage daughter, Alzheimer's, a passive husband, a possible love affair, a dysfunctional sister - the ending could only be what it was.
Ginger
To me, this wasn't one of Joy Fielding's better books. Giving this 3 stars because her books usually grab me from the 1st page & this one clearly did not. I was close to 70 pages into it before it picked up for me. I had some of the things figured out halfway through the book and I hate that!! I'm hoping the next book of hers I read in the future will be much better. I do realize this book was one of her older works.
Nicole
Jun 05, 2014 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Die Romane von Joy Fielding haben mich persönlich als Leser immer schon fasziniert. Nun, da ich meine erste Rezension zu einem ihrer Romane schreibe, habe ich mich lange gefragt, warum das eigentlich so ist. In meiner Rezension will ich nun versuchen, meine Beweggründe in Worte zu fassen.
Zuallererst finden sich in Fielding's Romanen immer sehr starke, facettenreiche Frauen in der Rolle des Protagonisten. In diesem ist es Kate Sinclair - Familientherapeutin, verheiratet, zwei Kinder. Ihr gegenübe
Maura
Dec 10, 2008 Maura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good suspense, but irritating in that you want to yell at the characters for their stupid actions sometimes. Of course, that's the point: that the people drawn into these situations are too close to the problems to see what they should do. So instead of acting they are just reacting.
Michelle
Easy read and I like the author's style. There were some parts of the story that I felt were glossed over, and the attitudes of most of the characters drove me insane...but the story kept me interested...especially the end!
Martha☀
Feb 07, 2015 Martha☀ rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, mystery, crap
Blech. A pathetic tale of a whiny woman who has it all and attempts to throw it all away, over and over. The final 4 pages summed up 430 pages of blather. Don't bother with this one.
Punxter
Jan 17, 2016 Punxter rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Mum
Jan 01, 2010 Mum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book. Couldn't put it down therefore I lost LOTS of sleep 2 nights in a row gggrrrrr oh well. I would rather read than sleep anyway.
Diana Stevan
Oct 22, 2014 Diana Stevan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Joy Fielding, but this was not of my favourite books of hers. I think because it seemed she threw everything at it. There was certainly enough heightened drama, and for the most part, all characters were very believable. I especially liked the mother and daughter relationship. The mother has Alzheimer's and Joy Fielding did a great job revealing not only her challenges but the family's as well. The family in turmoil over so many events was also very real. I don't want to say anymore as I' ...more
Kris - My Novelesque Life
3.5 STARS

"Family therapist Kate Sinclair repairs other people's troubled lives, all the while reveling in her stable marriage and handsome home. But there are demons in her past that will not stay buried forever, and the carefully constructed edifice of her life comes tumbling down when her half-sister JoLynn announces her plans to marry Colin Friendly, a man on trial for the brutal murders of thirteen Palm Beach women. Kate soon finds herself embroiled in a desperate struggle to protect her fam
Infantina
Oct 13, 2014 Infantina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A neat, suspense thriller.Within the tiny number of pages, we can learn about love, family, friends, children, faith, honesty, and admiration.What is truly important in our life?When finished reading the book, i came to a conclusion, it is nothing except our life must pave way for enabling the unlearned to become enthusiastic about their self-worth and depend on themselves throughout their life period by believing in their own soulful destination.

The main protagonist is a brilliant, independent
Crystal
Jun 20, 2009 Crystal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading Joy Fielding books in 2006 when I read Mad River Road. Since then I have read her new releases each year and have really enjoyed them. With my library system requests messed up at this time, I can't seem to get a hold of her newest, so I decided to work my way through her backlist (which my local library has on the shelves). This is how I came acrss Missing Pieces.

Missing Pieces follows Kate Sinclair, who on the outside looks like she has the perfect life but then the cracks st
Mary Cushnie-Mansour
"Missing Pieces" was jam packed with a number of "life" issues - Kate Sinclair is coming to grips with the early stages of menopause, while raising two teenage daughters - one who is the perfect child, and one who seems like the child from hell; tending to a mother who is in the early throws of Alzhimers; dealing with a husband, who in her mind,tries to avoid family conflict; adolescent feelings for an old highschool sweetheart who just happens to appear, and hits on her at a time in her life wh ...more
Teresa in Ohio
I enjoyed the way this book was told as if the main character was having a conversation with you after the whole episode was over. Kate Sinclair is a family therapist who has a very dysfunctional family. Her eldery mother is suffering from dementia or alzheimers and Kate is in complete denial. She has a sister named Jo Lynn who suffers from low esteem and always falls for the bad guys. And add in the teenager who rebells and pushes all the rules and you have for a great pyshcological thriller. T ...more
Louise
Apr 10, 2009 Louise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this was a riveting page-turner. Read all 420 pages in one night!! I just couldn't put it down.

From the back cover:
"It had to end in blood. Family therapist Kate Sinclair, healer of lost souls, perfect wife and mother, has suddenly become trapped in a nightmare of her own. Her teenage daughter has just discovered sex, lies, and rebellion. He ex-boyfriend has returned to threaten her marriage. Her once peaceful hometown is being awakened by chilling headlines: "Another woman is missing". Kat
Francoise
CAUTION: read bottom of this review also...
A family therapist's dilemmas: her hormones are flinging her violently into menopause while teenage daughters do their thing, her sister marries a serial killer (who escapes jail at end for a little thriller action), her husband shuts up in the face of her verbal onslaughts (but resurfaces for true --though married -- love at end), her daughter lies and sneaks off (but comes through at end as warm daughter in an actual crisis), her high school boyfriend
Cassidy
Jun 02, 2011 Cassidy rated it did not like it
Barbara Elsborg
Jul 23, 2014 Barbara Elsborg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Exciting story about a disintegrating family. The only snag was I kept thinking - what more can happen to these guys! I really liked the manipulative Colin Friendly - was ever a man more misnamed. Although Kate's sister is undoubtedly disturbed in her own way - I think Fielding did an excellent job of showing how people can get drawn into something that isn't the reality they think it is. Strong, dark, psychological thriller that kept me jumping!
Steffi Kegel
Die Geschichte an sich war okay, wenn auch bis kurz vor dem Ende nicht besonders spannend. Von Joy Fielding bin ich normalerweise besseres gewöhnt. Auch fand ich die Protagonistin ziemlich weinerlich und nervig.
Was aber wirklich unerträglich war, war die Übersetzung von Mechthild Sandberg-Ciletti. Neben Begriffen, die ich in einem Roman übersetzen würde (wenn es dann auch vielleicht nicht mehr exakt dem amerikanischen Pendant entspricht) gab es einige Sinn- und Rechtschreibfehler.
Besonders im Ge
Gerry
Feb 26, 2016 Gerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kate’s a therapist in private practice and her life is falling apart. Her older daughter has become a surly, rebellious teen, her mother is developing Altzheimer’s, and her sister has decided she’s in love with and going to marry a convicted serial killer. Kate’s portrayal as overwhelmed and exhausted was all too familiar, the plotting was tight and gripping, and the conclusion powerfully done. A great read!
Lennyb
Jul 27, 2015 Lennyb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dieses Buch ist ein bißchen Krimi, Thriller, Gesellschaftsroman, etc. ....von allem etwas.
und so ganz weiß ich auch nicht, was ich von dem Buch halten soll.
Die Story ist jedenfalls originell und toll geschrieben.
zwischendurch gab es mal ein paar Längen, aber das war okay.
Die Charaktere sind jedoch mehr als merkwürdig und in der Konstellation, in der sie aufeinandertreffen , dann doch irreal.
Insgesamt war es jedoch lesenswert
  • Fast Forward
  • Amokspiel
  • The Boz: confessions of a modern anti-hero
  • Watch Me
  • Sacrifice
  • Her Lone Star Cowboy (Mule Hollow Homecoming, #2)
  • Russell Rules: 11 Lessons on Leadership From the Twentieth Century's Greatest Winner
  • Die Reinheit des Todes (Julius Kern, #1)
  • Ruffians
  • Wyoming Sweethearts (Granger Family Ranch #6)
  • The Gospel of Luke
  • As It Was in the Days of Noah: Warnings from Bible Prophecy About the Coming Global Storm
  • The Unholy Deception (Nephilim series, #2)
  • The Sinner
Joy Fielding (née Tepperman; born March 18, 1945) is a Canadian novelist and actress. She lives in Toronto, Ontario.

Born in Toronto, Ontario, she graduated from the University of Toronto in 1966, with a Bachelor of Arts in English Literature. As Joy Tepperman, she had a brief acting career, appearing in the film Winter Kept Us Warm (1965) and in an episode of Gunsmoke. She later changed her last n
More about Joy Fielding...

“Can’t save everyone,” 1 likes