Start by marking “Subject Seven (Subject Seven, #1)” as Want to Read:
Subject Seven (Subject Seven, #1)

Subject Seven (Subject Seven #1)

3.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,055 Ratings  ·  104 Reviews
Years ago, scientists began developing the ultimate military weapon: deadly sleeper assassins housed within the bodies of teenagers. Now, Subject Seven, the dangerous alter-ego living inside a 16-year-old boy, has escaped the lab and is on a mission. His objective? To seek out others like him and build an army capable of destroying their creators.

Hunter, Cody, Gene, Tina,
Published January 20th 2011 by Razorbill

To ask other readers questions about Subject Seven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Subject Seven

City of Bones by Cassandra ClareClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickClockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare
Cutest YA Male Cover Models
54th out of 81 books — 114 voters
Throne of Glass by Sarah J. MaasGraceling by Kristin CashorePoison Study by Maria V. SnyderThe Way of Shadows by Brent WeeksGrave Mercy by Robin LaFevers
Books With Heroes/Heroines Who Are Assassins
363rd out of 765 books — 3,344 voters

More lists with this book...

Marilyn Belsham
Apr 02, 2011 Marilyn Belsham rated it liked it
Perhaps I'm naive but I was surprised how graphically violent Subject Seven is. I assumed that a book labeled as Young Adult would not rival books marketed to adults in content and description. The main characters are teens, but other than that, I would not consider this a novel for young teens - teens that are almost adults are another matter.

The story itself was interesting. I found the multi-personality aspect unique, and after a few pages, I got into the groove of the narrative flashing from
PurplyCookie
In a secret compound, several children were artificially created and genetically modified in an experiment known as the Janus Project, until the alpha of their group, Subject Seven, escaped after brutally murdering a top scientist and the guards assigned to him. Subsequently, the remaining youngsters involved in the failed experiment were wiped clean of their memories and given to adoptive parents in various locations throughout the United States.

The story continues years later as the five chil
Elizabeth
Jun 14, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Boo, another series book. I thought it was stand-alone. Fooled again.

SPOILERS

Okay, so I would give this book 2.5 stars, but I'm rounding down because I'm not feeling generous. Oooh, it had so potential. Who exactly am I supposed to rooting for? Surely not Subject Seven, he's a creeper. And all the "failures"? I cannot find any redeemable characteristics in them. I sort of like Tina. If I had to pick one it would be her, I guess. Why in the heck was there so much detail put into all the other "fa
Kelly
Jan 24, 2011 Kelly rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
The Jekyl and Hyde concept is what drew me to this YA title, and the unfolding mystery kept my attention. I'm not sure who I sympathize with more--the Failures or the Others. I definitely want to read more.

My only real complaint is how it ends. Or rather, doesn't end. I can't even call it a cliffhanger. The story just...stops.
Jody
Jun 29, 2011 Jody rated it liked it
Shelves: review
What would you do if you kept waking up with no idea where you were, how you got there or what had happened to you in the meantime? That's what's been happening to 5 unconnected teenagers who once had normal, uneventful lives. But someone out there knows what's happening, and is determined to find answers and change the fate of these seemingly random teens.

Subject Seven (the novel) begins with a prologue set 5 years before the actual story takes place. The prologue is a great set-up and foundati
Cristy
SUBJECT SEVEN is a great sci-fi book that would most definitely make an excellent movie… very Incredible Hulk-ish, with superhuman soldiers hidden within the unassuming bodies of teenagers. The story is a little confusing at first, with a lot of action and bloody violence right out the gate, but all (well most) is soon explained and it is completely worth it. An exciting read, which is sure to entertain male and female readers alike, a nonstop adventure with heart-pumping adrenalin filled grueso ...more
Nick Van Lyssel
Dec 13, 2013 Nick Van Lyssel rated it really liked it
The book Subject Seven I thought was a very good book. Sometimes I would get confused because they didn't make things clear. I didn't realise that Hunter was Joe's human side until almost the end of the book. Other than a few things like that it is a one of the best books I've read in the last two years. The book is about a top secret experiment that was soldiers that are perfect and can interact with eachother without talking. All the other subjects had been adobted except Subject Seven. When h ...more
Jenna
Mar 19, 2015 Jenna rated it really liked it
Subject Seven is a thrilling scientific novel based around the idea of a literal dual personality situation in which two separate beings, humans of different personality and DNA, are trapped within one body. It challenges the idea of one human soul per person and invokes many interesting perspectives on genetic engineering and government research hidden from society’s eyes. It explores the interesting Jekyll and Hyde idea and brings it to life in a terrifying and startling approach- using childr ...more
Collin baehnman
Mar 23, 2016 Collin baehnman rated it really liked it
Personal Responce:
I think that ' Subject Seven ' is a really good book. It keeps you where you wanna read more and more there was always something you wanted to know what was going to happen. Like if seven was going to kill his captors or let them keep exparamenting on him. It was really interesting how people can just take things that they created for granite, just to make them better soldiers.

Plot Summary:
Basically what happened is in the beginning of the book there was 10 subjects each named
Joe Van
Jan 19, 2014 Joe Van rated it really liked it
I just finished the book Subject Seven by James A. Moore. To start off, I want to say this book has a confusing plot line. A private corporation led by Evelyn Hope developed ultimate military weapons; these weapons were housed in the bodies of five teenagers. Subject Seven breaks out of the lab and his mission is to gather the other four that are like him. His ultimate goal is to get a team and destroy their creators, especially Evelyn Hope.
If I were to rate this book, I would give it two rati
Napoleon
Apr 21, 2011 Napoleon rated it really liked it
Subject Seven is a 336-page novel about the escape of Subject Seven from his captors, a group of employees of an unnamed company who perform experiments on select employee's children as a part of the "Janus Project", a project used to create soldiers within the bodies of teenagers. He, being the soldier-like part, is contained within the body of his "Other" Bobby like an alter ego that is active from time to time or as Subject Seven later explains, a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde type circumstance. Af ...more
Me, Myself, and I
Sep 04, 2011 Me, Myself, and I rated it really liked it
Shelves: amazing, sci-fi
Kristin Lundgren
A decent book about a group of experimental subjects. They were designed from birth to be "super soldiers," but were deemed a failure because of bleed over from their other side - they were Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hydes. Some of them, while in their darker, more angry side, could recall events and things about their other, nicer side. They were supposed to be terminated, but a scientist couldn't do it, and decided instead to sell them to an adoption agency where most of them lived in quiet isolation ...more
Andrea
Mar 16, 2011 Andrea rated it liked it
Jacqueline Creekmore
Oct 17, 2013 Jacqueline Creekmore rated it it was amazing
What if you were born a scientific mistake? In James Moore’s novel, Seven Subjects, this is exactly what takes place. Seven innocent teenagers with normal teenage lives find themselves becoming destructive. Usually these teenagers would be going to prep rallies, going to see a movie, or even staying out past their curfews. Lately, these teens fall asleep in their homes and wake up in bloody clothes in rich hotels and night clubs, unaware of what’s happening to them.
Too confused, these teenager
Kelli Lee
Apr 29, 2011 Kelli Lee rated it liked it
I always seem to compare books to movies and/or TV shows. Why? Because I’m a cinephile. With that said, Subject Seven reminded me of the cancelled-after-one-season TV show My Own Worst Enemy. But instead of Christian Slater insert young adults.

Subject Seven is a quick read, actiony, some violence. There is a being/mind inhabiting the body of teens - assassins if you will. The unsuspecting teens have black-outs while their alter ego (or whatever you want to call it) takes over. Once they wake up
Ambur
Jul 28, 2011 Ambur rated it it was ok
I loved the idea behind this book. I thought it sounded intense, and full of action, but when I read it, it kind of fell flat for me. After reading the book's description, I imagined that I'd get a more in-depth look into Subject Seven's head, but to be honest, even though he was narrating many of the chapters, it still felt like I wasn't in his head at all. Part of that seemed on purpose because of the fact that he was trying so hard to keep his normal counterpart out of his head, but it just m ...more
Linna
Mar 06, 2011 Linna rated it liked it
SUBJECT SEVEN is, unsurprisingly, a fast-paced novel, but the first-person narration is so direct that each page flashes by like rapid fire. The story and dialogue is similar to a comic book, but some of that action is lost in book form. Nonetheless, it’s a taut thriller that can be as violent as The Hunger Games and has a mysterious plot line to raise the suspense level even higher.

The plot begins with a bang, and I was as confused as the ‘ordinary’ teenagers who are pulled in Subject Seven’s t
Brandi
Sep 27, 2011 Brandi rated it really liked it
Seven doesn't remember a lot of things. He knows he doesn't have a family like the Other does. The Other gets to live in a nice house with caring parents who will stop at nothing to protect him. Seven lives in a cold cell where people come to test his strength, reflexes, and pain tolerance. One day Seven is no longer content living in his little cell. He wants out. Seven escapes in a massive riot of bullets and blunt objects, killing anyone who got in his way.

Seven is actually the alter-ego of
Momo
Apr 27, 2011 Momo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an enjoyable book. After seeing some of the reviews that are available for it, I was worried about how graphically violent the story might read, but to be honest, I didn’t think that the blood shed was difficult to stomach. The concept of the story is unique and interesting, a pleasant combination of the short lived TV show, “Dark Angel” and the ever so infamous novella, “Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde”.

The characters in this book are searching for answers to questions they would prefer not to
A
Jan 31, 2014 A rated it really liked it
I am a self-proclaimed cover whore. The first time I saw this, I was immediately smitten by the cover. When I read the back, I was even more intrigued. I thought it was an interesting story at first, that is, until I started the actual reading.

I've seen some reviews here and they all said that this book had a confusing plot. It has confusing plot. It'll give your brain a major workout because the POV change constantly and none of it makes sense, until you reach the end.

Everything will make sens
Eli
Oct 07, 2014 Eli rated it liked it
An interesting book but the plot was a bit confusing at times and the action doesn't pick up until the last fourth of the book. The one of the 'subjects' doesn't even show up for half the book and its not clear who the protagonist's other is until the action picks up
Forever Young Adult
Graded By: Erin
Cover Story: Someone Wants a Movie Deal
BFF Charm: A Resounding Thanks, But No Thanks
Swoonworthy Scale: 0
Talky Talk: Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde For the Playground Set
Bonus Factors: Shadowy Government Conspiracies, Ultraviolence, The Incredible Hulk
Relationship Status: I'm Entering Into the Witness Protection System

Read the full book report here.
Michelle
Starts off really good in the beginning but in the middle it kinda gets a whole lot of confusing. There's quite a lot going on that you have to keep up with and you just wish it'd hurry up and get to the exciting part already. And it does. Really well, actually. Other than that, really awesome read, had a few twists I wasn't expecting and in the end I was just relieved how all the dots connected. Pretty brutal and gory read, so not for the weak-hearted, consider yourselves warned xD

Full review t
Rachel
Aug 24, 2015 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, ya-novels
Subject Seven has escaped. And he has set out to find the others like him and create an army to destroy their creators. The Others are fast, strong, and ruthless--they will let nothing get in the way of their mission.
They have all woken up and will wreak havoc on the world if Tina, Gene, Hunter, Cody, and Kyrie don't find a way to stop them--but it's not quite that easy.

Three stars for likeable but confusable characters. Interesting idea. I would definitely suggest this book to many of my friend
Mimi
Dec 25, 2011 Mimi rated it it was amazing
Subject Seven was a truly action-packed book. I just loved the original idea of focusing on each character in a different way. Also I really enjoyed the plot. It was just amazing, and I just couldn't put the book down once I started reading. I liked how all the pieces come together little by little, but the one thing that I truly hated and made me so disappointed was the end. It just leaves you completely puzzled. Like COMPLETELY. I just really, reaaally hope there's a sequel.
Trupti
May 27, 2014 Trupti rated it liked it
A mind bending mystery and thriller. At first the book may seem confusing, but strangely it keeps you on edge, and as the peices start falling in place, I was thinking." how could i have not seen that before!"
The book was brilliant in its own way. It reminds me of ted dekker books. If you have ever read Dekker's books, he writes stories much like this one. Reccomend this to anyone who likes action thrillers that play with your mind!
Shelby
Jul 14, 2012 Shelby rated it liked it
I had high hopes for this book, but I was just a little disappointed. I enjoyed the read, but I was confused for about the first quarter of the book. Also, the first half of the book kind of repeated and was slow. After the first half it started picking up, though. On the good side, the ideas behind the story were pretty unique and interesting. I am still going to read the next book in the series and hopefully it will be better than the first.
Bryce Roberts
Mar 24, 2016 Bryce Roberts rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, contemporary
Jenny
Mar 03, 2013 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Well it's a nice book. But I was left hanging what will happen next after I finished the book.. The author is good, he was able to describe every characters point of view and story.. But what excite me more is are the characters good or evil? I don't know.. I'm just hoping the next sequel be more exciting than this first book... Although I was really surprised when I found out who subject seven is... ϵ( 'Θ' ) ...more
  • The Blending Time
  • The Shadow Project (Shadow Project, #1)
  • Rise of the Corpses (The Undertakers, #1)
  • Hex (Hex, #1)
  • Invasion (C.H.A.O.S., #1)
  • Earthfall
  • Assault (Recon Team Angel, #1)
  • Memento Nora (Memento Nora, #1)
  • The Gardener
  • The Chamber of Five
  • 20 Years Later
  • Dark Eden (Dark Eden, #1)
  • The Villain Virus (NERDS, #4)
  • Joshua Dread (Joshua Dread #1)
  • Trickster's Girl (Raven Duet, #1)
  • Those That Wake (Those That Wake, #1)
  • The Dead Gentleman
  • City of Shadows (TimeRiders, #6)
James A. Moore is the award winning author of over thirty novels, thrillers, dark fantasy and horror alike, including the critically acclaimed Fireworks, Under The Overtree, Blood Red, the Serenity Falls trilogy (featuring his recurring anti-hero, Jonathan Crowley) and his most recent novels, seven Forges, The Blasted Lands, City of Wonders and the forthcoming The Silent Army.
He currently lives i
More about James A. Moore...

Subject Seven (2 books)
  • Run (Subject Seven, #2)