Start by marking “Again The Magic (Wallflowers, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Again The Magic (Wallflowers, #0.5)

Again The Magic (Wallflowers 0.5)

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  24,462 Ratings  ·  1,008 Reviews

She gave him her innocence . . .

Lady Aline Marsden was brought up to marry a man of her own class, but from the moment she meets John McKenna, she risks everything to be with him.

He gave her his heart

Although their love is forbidden, McKenna's passion for the beautiful Aline is too compelling to deny.

When their secret is discovered, their world is shattered. McKenna is

Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Again The Magic, please sign up.

This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Aug 03, 2014 Shawna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of historical romance with 'childhood friends-to-lovers', 'revenge', & 'reunited lovers' themes
Recommended to Shawna by: Eastofoz
Shelves: favorites, i-read-own-faves-keepers, historical-romance, made-me-cry, author-lisa-kleypas, hero-alpha‎, hero-antihero-gamma, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, hero-cad-rake-rogue‎-scoundrel, hero-bad-boy-playboy-player, best-top-favorites, favorite-romance-series, heroine-i-wanna-bitch-slap-annoying, heroine-abused-traumatic-past-rape, friends-to-lovers, reunions-are-sweeter-second-chances, heroine-naïve-virgin-like-a-virgin, favorite-romance-couple-hh-pairings, 2010-reads, historical-romance-victorian, hero-cold-cruelbrute-dark-dangerous, hero-stalk-me-baby-possessive, hero-commoner-self-made, enemies-to-lovers-opposites-attract, series-wallflowers, heroine-odd-spinster-wallflower, revenge-deception-secrets-lies, satisfying-secondary-romance, angsty-dark-heavy-lotsa-drama, hh-social-class-wealth-matters, hh-physical-mental-disability-ill, hh-disfigured-injured-scarred-ill, hh-servant-serving-working-class, favorite-hottest-love-scenes-nookie, hh-aristocracy-nobility-royalty, star-crossed-lovers, 5-stars-plus, childhood-ties-friends-sweethearts, hero-brooding, hh-across-the-tracks, hh-rags-to-riches, hero-daddy-warbucks-wealthy, hh-bad-communication-conflict-mgmt, hh-big-constant-misunderstandings, heartbreaking-gutwrenching-romance, heroine-undeserving-of-awesome-hero, hero-besotted-so-smitten-its-sexy, controversial-memorable-event-scene, tearjerker-tugs-at-heartstrings, hero-entrepreneur-mogul-tycoon-ceo, a-all-time-best-top-fave-dik-reads, betrayal-is-such-a-bitter-pill, hero-wrong-side-of-the-tracks, heroine-tstl, hh-jeez-just-frigging-talk-already, hero-business-owner
5+ stars – Historical Romance

I really enjoyed (loved!) this touching, emotional read of two childhood best friends turned sweethearts of opposing social classes whose love is torn apart by unfair prejudices, society rules and expectations, secrets, lies, mistrust, pride, and vanity.

I loved McKenna, even when he was plotting Lady Aline’s ruin and being a cruel alpha, and his volatile and intense emotional reactions were so brutally honest and heartbreaking. Aline’s staunch secrecy and foolish pr
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish
Sep 29, 2010 UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Romance Lovers and Fans of Lisa Kleypas' Wallflowers series.
Recommended to UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish by: Someone who was really, really smart!

Lisa Kleypas has done it again, and in a big way. Again the Magic is a wonderful story with so many dimensions and so much depth that I was up until the wee hours of the morning, unable to put it down. This story is actually a “prequel” to the Wallflowers series. While I’ve never seen it listed as a numbered book in the series, the characters in Again the Magic are featured heavily in It Happened One Autumn, book 2 of the Wallflowers, as well as in the other Wallflower novels.

There are so many g
Kristin (KC)
*4 Stars*

An enjoyable, steamy escape!

This isn't exactly breaking news to romance readers, but Lisa Kleypas is a goddess in her genre. She truly excels in her steamy love scenes which are as passionate as they are explicit. Again the Magic is an edgy historical romance that offers a double dose of taboo love during a time where venturing outside of one's social class was not only unheard of, but inarguably forbidden.

Our main couple, Aline and McKenna, are childhood friends who gradually and help
Jul 31, 2010 Auntee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Kleypas's Wallflowers
Boy did I love this one, but the TSTL heroine almost ruined it for me! Oh Aline, what you put poor McKenna through...

My thoughts...

I should have known what I was in for, after blubbering and sniffing my way through the first 3 chapters--this was one angsty read! I totally fell for (John) McKenna, who went from bastard stableboy in love with a beautiful, unattainable daughter of a duke, to millionaire American in 12 short years. When 19 year old Lady Aline Marsden sent young McKenna away (and how
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Jul 16, 2013 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anna by: "That's All" Ash
5 TAKE ME AS I AM ~ stars !!

Since the day that John McKenna had been brought to the estate at the age of 8, he and Aline had been constant companions for ten years, climbing trees, swimming in the river, and running around barefoot. But eventually things had begun to change between them. No healthy young man could fail to be stirred and set off-kilter by Aline, who at the age of 17, had become the loveliest girl on God's green earth.

Lady Aline Marsden

Warm, high-spirited, and beautiful in all way
Rachel Reads Ravenously
4 stars!

“Perhaps only those who had loved and lost could appreciate this magic.”

I think I say this in all of my historical romance reviews, but it's not really a genre I enjoy reading most of the time unless it is done well. Having been a history major in college it really grinds my gears when the suspension of disbelief gets to be too much. That was not the case with this book. I was easily able to take a step back and enjoy this angsty romance for what is was: a great second chance roman
3 1/2 stars (but I'm rounding it down to 3 stars because I didn't like it as much as the other LK books I've rated 4 stars.)

I'm not going to write a review because there are already a gazillion reviews not only here but all over the internet. I'm just going to point out what I liked/disliked in this book, since I seem to be in the minority for not loving it as "everyone else".

- McKenna, Gideon, Livia, Westclif... In sum, every character but Aline (and her father, of course.)
- The beginning
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
If I were asked to choose one special book by my favourite author Lisa Kleypas, it would have to be AGAIN THE MAGIC, the prequel to her Wallflower series. The emotional impact of this powerful and moving love story never diminishes no matter how many times I read it.

Aline Marsden and John McKenna are young and passionately in love, but it's a forbidden love. Aline is the eldest daughter of the Earl of Westcliff while McKenna is a mere stable lad on her father's estate. Their happiness comes to a
Feb 04, 2014 Mo rated it really liked it

"I’ll marry no man but you McKenna. And if you ever leave me, I’ll be alone for the rest of my life."
"Aline …. I would never leave unless you told me to go …"

Aline was his curse, his fate, his consuming desire. He would never stop wanting her, no matter what she did, no matter how many oceans and continents he managed to put between them.

"No man on earth has ever hated sunrise as much as I do."

"You sleep too," she said groggily, her hand creeping to the center of his chest.
"No." McKenna s
Stacia (the 2010 club)
4.5 stars. The only thing which kept me from holding back on a 5 star is that I missed the frequent humor which I've loved in other books by this author. The reason I consistently recommend Kleypas to friends of mine who don't read historical romance is because many of her books have it all : good story, steamy romance, and plenty of moments which will make you laugh.

That said, this is still probably my favorite Kleypas to date. I had tears come to my eyes quite frequently while reading. From th
Nov 29, 2015 Daniella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“For thousands of nights I dreamed of making love to you. No man on earth has ever hated sunrise as much as I do.”

I would give this 10+ stars if I could, because Again the Magic is one of the best romance stories I've ever read.

What made this so impressive was the fact that almost all the characters were so beautifully written and well-developed. They were so alive. Even the secondary characters had depth. They weren't simply there to support McKenna and Aline, but they also had a lot to offer.
Amy (Foxy)
Nov 22, 2013 Amy (Foxy) rated it really liked it
Recommended to Amy (Foxy) by: Kristin (KC)
***4.5 From a stable boy to a king stars***

An orphan stable boy and a high class girl's friendship blossoms into a forbidden love. Aline's father does NOT find McKenna to be worthy of his upperclass daughter. He sends McKenna away.
"I'll love you until the day I did. You're the only man I'll ever want, McKenna, the only -"

McKenna is now an accomplished man who has revenge in his heart. He has returned Stony Cross. Aline has a cross to bear that
Duchess Nicole

Lisa Kleypas is simply a master Historical Romance writer!!

If you've read her, then you know what I mean. If you haven't, DO IT NOW!!! You're missing out on some of the most heartfelt, swoony, so-romantic-your-eyes-fill-with-tears stories. Seriously, I teared up at least three times while reading Again the Magic. My chest actually hurt. And these aren't sad tears. They're over the top girlie tears that only happen when I gain a new book boyfriend.

McKenna is a classic LK hero in tha
 Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~*
Feb 29, 2012 Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Romance Readers!
5 Stars - Also reviewed at: Lady Jayne's Reading Den
“The worst thing you can do for love is deny it; so when you find that special someone, don't let anyone or anything to get in your way.”
~ Author Unknown

“It hurts to love someone and not be loved in return, but what is the most painful is to love someone and never find the courage to let the person know how you feel.”
~ Author Unknown
Lisa Kleypas is one of my absolute favourite authors. Most of her books are keepers for me. I devoured her
Imagine having loved someone at a young age, but you both realize that it was a forbidden type of love and at the time, you thought that the only way to protect your lover is to drive them away from your life. Well, that is what had happened in Lisa Kleypas’ historical romance novel, “Again the Magic.” “Again the Magic” has drama, romance, lies, secrets and excitement that outshines from most romance novels ever written and it will have you waiting in anticipation as you read this book!

Years ago
Sep 25, 2008 Eastofoz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers who like childhood friends who become lovers
This book was phe-no-men-al! We’re talking an A+ read here! It starts out quick so that you’re right into the thick of it all and it just keeps you turning those pages to see what’s going to happen. Don’t start this book in the evening because unless you’re a super fast reader you will not be sleeping any time soon!

McKenna is one wicked hero. He’s so intense and not afraid to tell Aline that he loves her. He cries, he laughs, he broods —he’s just one amazing alpha! His deep-seated hatred for Ali
Christine The Dark Romance Junkie *Wallflower Addict*

This is my second historical romance this year and I've added it to my favourite reads of 2016. Lisa Kleypas where have you been all my life?! A few friends have recommended this series to me and I kept thinking..."Nah, it
Laura the Highland Hussy
This one has been reviewed by soo many of my friends, that this will be short, and not in anyway a summary.

***There Will Be Spoilers Ahead***

I'm in love with a stable really. ::sigh:: McKenna

I loved Aline and McKenna, and how we got to see them before the betrayal.

I thought the way McKenna came back to hurt Aline was soo well done. I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but I am a sucker for the betrayal and redemption plot...but only if it works. And this one worked. I agreed with Aline th
I don’t read a lot of historical romance. Ok, that’s an understatement. Two. I’ve read two HR books before. I liked them well enough, but I dunno, whenever I look at my kindle, the HR choices never seem to draw me. I’m gonna start reading more of them, cuz this book has shown me how into it I can be! :)

The chemistry between our two leads was really, really good. And even better was the intensity of their feelings for each other that reached out from each page and grabbed me and held on tight. I
Feb 26, 2010 Bill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
At the risk of being buried under a pile of cow pies by the fans of Lisa Kleypas, I have to give her Again the Magic a so-so review at best.

I read this book because it a favorite of many readers. Regretfully I can’t share that opinion. It already had two strikes against it because it starts out with 50 pages of unrequited teenage lust, which didn’t do anything for me. On top of that, it is a revenge story, which made me dislike the McKenna, the hero. But the worst sin in this novel is the TSTL A

I don't think I'm capable of writing a review that would even skim the surface of how good this book was. Can LK write anything lacklustre? The woman is a master, a thief of perfectly written prose. If she wrote an instruction manual about proper lawn care I would damn well read it!

Again the Magic was everything a beautiful and intoxicating HR should be. I was either tearing up or revered by the writing, it was insane!

Add to that a very poignant and heartbreaking friends-to-lovers
4.5 magical stars!

I thought I had outgrown pure historical romance without a supernatural or magical twist of some kind to keep things interesting, but Lisa Kleypas reawakened my love for HR with Again the Magic. And now I'm addicted to this series, I even went ahead and read the next two books of the Wallflowers series!.

Alice Kellen
3.5 (Qué rabia que no se pueda puntuar mejor) La novela es entretenida, como todas las de esta autora, pero la historia secundaria me entorpecía un poco la lectura y admito que algunos trozos los leía en diagonal. En cambio, la relación entre Aline y McKenna es muy bonita y con algunas escenas muy emotivas (está claro que siento una gran debilidad por los protagonistas que se conocen desde niños).
Sep 02, 2010 Jasmin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every romance reader :)
This read makes me feel again the magic which only Lisa Kleypas, herself, can ever deliver.

To prove a point, I utterly feel like a little girl, who had a taste of sweet and irrisistable candy, which takes almost a day to finish. Well of course, being the selfish chit that I am, a taste is not enough. I have to finish the candy dry before I could resume my normal mode of living. And unfortunately, coming out of the trance, realizing that the candy is all gone, I feel disappointment. Disappointmen

He uttered a curse that startled her with its foulness, and gripped her head between his hands, forcing her to stare at him. His voice was savage. "For twelve years I have been in constant torment, wanting you in my arms and believing it would never be possible. I want you for a thousand reasons other than your legs,, damn it, I want you for no reason at all, other than the fact that you're you. I want to shove myself deep inside you and stay for hours..days...weeks. I wa
I just read it for the second time and it was even better than the first! I loved this book! Couldn't put it down. LK is such a magnificent author, and I simply adore her. If you have read some other books by this author but not this one yet, just do it and don't wait any longer because IMHO it is one of her bests!

In this installment we get to read about Marcus' sisters, specially Aline and her romance with McKenna. This is such a sweet story about how 2 people who love each other can find happi
May 09, 2009 Rane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: victorian-era
The lack of sleep on my part was well worth it after reading Again the Magic, I adore McKenna and how upfront he as to Lady Aline about his feelings not scared to say "I Love you" Aline on the other hand made me wanna smack her a few for putting McKenna and herself through hell for nothing.
Overall a wonderful story with awesome secondary story between Aline sister and McKenna's firend.
Jen (Red Hot Books)
I didn't just love this book. I. LOVED. This. Book. The kind of love that makes you ignore your real life and stay up past your bedtime because you can't put it down. It features one of my favorite tropes --a historical romance where the hero is too far below the heroine's social status for them to be together. And it plays out to perfection.

Aline and McKenna grew up together. Only she was a young Lady and he was a stableboy. As they got older, their friendship grew into something more. They lov
As always, I love the latest Lisa Kleypas book I have read. I firmly believe that woman can do no wrong as I have yet to come across one of her books that I didn't like. Again the Magic is and prequel to the Wallflower series and tells the stories of Marcus, Lord Westcliff's sisters, Aline and Livia, and their respective gentlemen, John McKenna and Gideon Shaw.

I do not like Aline. At all. There was something that bothered me about her from the first chapter of the book and it stayed with me thro
Your Favorite Lisa Kleypas book and/or character 26 220 Oct 29, 2015 10:35PM
Poor Hero Alert! 3 38 Aug 23, 2015 03:13PM
Bangin' Book Club: July Book Club Pick: Again the Magic 1 4 Jul 10, 2014 06:27AM
"Friends Turned Lovers?" 20 245 Sep 09, 2013 12:16PM
We Love Lisa Kleypas: Again the Magic (Book of the Season: June 21 through September 21, 2013) 16 60 Jun 19, 2013 06:33PM
  • England's Perfect Hero (Lessons in Love, #3)
  • The Leopard Prince (Princes Trilogy, #2)
  • Lord of Fire (Knight Miscellany, #2)
  • The Many Sins of Lord Cameron (MacKenzies & McBrides, #3)
  • When He Was Wicked (Bridgertons, #6)
  • The Marriage Bed (Guilty, #3)
  • Between the Devil and Desire (Scoundrels of St. James, #2)
  • Unveiled (Turner, #1)
  • Not Quite a Husband
  • Reckless (The House of Rohan, #2)
  • Never a Gentleman (Drake's Rakes, #2)
  • Three Nights with a Scoundrel (Stud Club, #3)
  • The Dangerous Lord (Lord Trilogy, #3)
  • Passion (Passion Quartet, #1)
  • A Summer to Remember (Bedwyn Saga, #.6)
More about Lisa Kleypas...

Wallflowers (6 books)
  • Secrets of a Summer Night (Wallflowers, #1)
  • It Happened One Autumn (Wallflowers, #2)
  • Devil in Winter (Wallflowers, #3)
  • Scandal in Spring (Wallflowers, #4)
  • A Wallflower Christmas (Wallflowers, #5)

“I want morning and noon and nightfall with you. I want your tears, your smiles, your kisses...the smell of your hair, the taste of your skin, the touch of your breath on my face. I want to see you in the final hour of my lie in your arms as I take my last breath.” 1367 likes
“For thousands of nights I dreamed of making love to you. No man on earth has ever hated sunrise as I do.” 386 likes