Start by marking “Exile's Gate (Morgaine & Vanye, #4)” as Want to Read:
Exile's Gate (Morgaine & Vanye, #4)

Exile's Gate (Morgaine & Vanye #4)

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  1,312 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Morgaine must meet her greatest challenge—Gault, who is both human and alien, and also seeks control of the world and its Gate. She will meet the true Gatemaster—a mysterious lord with power as great, or greater, than her own.
Published January 5th 1988 by DAW (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Exile's Gate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Exile's Gate

Pawn of Prophecy by David EddingsMagician by Raymond E. FeistThe Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer BradleyDragons of Autumn Twilight by Margaret WeisQueen of Sorcery by David Eddings
Best Fantasy of the 80s
94th out of 239 books — 423 voters
Outpassage by Janet E. MorrisShadow Over Avalon by C.N. LesleyThe IX by Andrew P. WestonThe Secret of Excalibur by Sahara FoleyExile's Gate by C.J. Cherryh
Best Science Fantasy Books
5th out of 29 books — 57 voters

More lists with this book...

Mar 18, 2013 Joseph rated it it was amazing
Gate-time works differently than world-time -- for Nhi Vanye and Morgaine, mere moments passed between when they rode into the Fires at Azeroth and when they emerged at Morund, but for the rest of us ten years had passed.

This is the final (not concluding, but presumably last) book about Morgaine and Vanye. It's the largest in the series -- in terms of word-count, it's probably double any of the preceding volumes -- and the most complex in terms of the number of POV characters and in terms of the
Hooded Figure from your friendly neighbourhood dog park
Nov 15, 2008 kat rated it it was amazing
The consummation of this series, written ten years after the original trilogy, is nothing short of masterful. I am in awe of Cherryh's ability to balance complex plots and characters with carefully-chosen language of such simple beauty that it sometimes reads almost like poetry. Morgaine and Vanye have become so very dear to me that it's with a feeling of sadness that I realize I will know no more of their story.
May 06, 2014 Derek rated it it was ok
Finally, a cover that truly reflects Morgaine's striking and slightly unsettling appearance, as well as showing her in the practical and extremely functional armor worn throughout the series.

I don't think this book's extra length adds much to the story. Like the previous ones, it reserves most of its action (and many really good ideas) for its last quarter. The earlier sections are deep ruminations and character analysis. While this allows Cherryh to delve into how Morgaine and Vanye create thei
Jan 19, 2015 Stephen rated it really liked it
Shelves: at-home
This is the fourth book in a series, and it's the best by far. C.J. Cherryh is a very good author, but the first three books in this series were written near the beginning of her career. This book was ten years later, and her writing has noticeably improved. It's difficult for me to explain exactly -- this book feels the same as the first three, yet it's smoother somehow. If you've read the first three Morgaine books, you need to read this one. If you're a fan of C.J. Cherryh, you may or may not ...more
Dec 25, 2014 Bruna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantascienza
I read the other books of this saga as a young adult. I liked them very much and never forgot Morgaine, Vanye and their endless quest. I discovered Exile's Gate only some time ago - it has never been translated into my language - and I was so happy to find a new piece of the story that I read the book in one shot. Then, for the first time in all my life, I felt the need of translating the first chapter in Italian - for my own pleasure, of course, as I'm certainly not a skilled translator (as you ...more
Mar 10, 2013 Dana rated it it was amazing
The best of the Morgaine books. Written almost a decade after the first three, the quality of writing is improved, and the characters better devolved, and the general story structure improved. Sadly also the last we will hear of Morgaine. A great example of a cross category series. Are they SF or fantasy?
Deborah Replogle
Feb 18, 2016 Deborah Replogle rated it really liked it
Loved this series as a teenager, and was so glad to find she had written a fourth novel. Of course, I would be totally open to her continuing the series.
Campbell Mcaulay
Oct 04, 2011 Campbell Mcaulay rated it it was amazing
Exiles Gate is the fourth and final outing in CJ Cherryh's Morgaine saga; the first three stories having been published under one title, the Chronicles of Morgaine. My copy was a fairly elderly one, tatty, worn out and dogeared, having survived about six house moves, numerous car-boot-sale culls and finally being lost forever having been left on a plane at Amsterdam airport. It was recently replaced (thanks to Amazon Marketplace) with an equally tatty second hand copy. my only consolation is tha ...more
Cathy Purchis
This was the second time I've read this book, and although I couldn't remember the details, I did know one thing for certain about how it ended. And yet I was so anxious about the characters at one point that I had to stop reading. (view spoiler)

Sep 15, 2016 Nick rated it really liked it
Alas, I was hoping for a different ending. The sentimentalist in me was ready for dessert, a fire, and a cosy castle after so many miles on the road, so many bruises to the body, and so many wounds to the heart. But the story ends only to begin the cycle again, and so the myth endures. And of course that's the only way a tale like this one could wrap up. A great work of fantasy to set alongside The Lord of the Rings and Narnia.
Nov 06, 2015 Frank rated it really liked it
Read it fresh from the press. The faint smell of ink, the crackle of a spine losing virginity. Hot blonde, sword, world gates to close. It took me years to keep my writing as derivative of this Science Fiction Confection. Out of print for a long time, even prowling the shelves of used book store. I think the three are back in an omnibus edition.
Galadriel Nichols
Aug 03, 2015 Galadriel Nichols rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
This is the conclusion to one of my all time favorite fantasy series. Well written, amazing characters, it is smart, captivating & thought provoking. I have read this series many times & never tire of it.
Jan 20, 2009 Mark rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
There is a plot, but it is merely a structure to drape the book over. (Morgaine and Vayne, liege and vassal, ride from world to world to destroy the reality threatening teleportation Gates. They leave behind chaos and suffering from undermining the societies built around the Gates.) The story is all Vayne's struggle between duty, honor, friendship, and love while coping with Morgain whose mission overrides any concerns of mercy or warmth or truth. The effect of telling the story from Vayne's poi ...more
Robert Beatty
Jan 01, 2015 Robert Beatty rated it it was amazing
Read this book multiple times years ago. I remembered I loved it. I loved the Morgaine character. Her sword that ripped the space-time continuum was also very cool.
Oct 11, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
A fitting end to a grand story. A story that I think could go on, and on and on. And I would read them. I love these characters. Really nothing more to say. You like the series or you don't.
Nov 21, 2009 Linda rated it it was amazing
I don't like this book *quite* as well as the previous books, but it's still a good read. I might give it 4-1/2 stars, given the option. As usual, the characters are interesting and the plot mind-bending in a fun and Cherryh sort of way.

I don't like the ending of this book as well as the others. Although it is a window into the two main characters, it's not a nice one. And Cherryh often ends her books with a poignant epilogue that is missing from this book.

Just because I don't like it as well
Nov 03, 2014 Sleepseeker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I love this whole series of books. I read them when I was in Middle School and I still love them today. This is the last book in the series but we never got an ending to these books and after all these years I doubt we'll get another book in the Morgaine Saga.

Even though these books were never given an ending, I would still recommend them to anybody to read. I love all her books in this series and I love the two main characters and the building relationship between the two of them. This book is
Aug 27, 2012 Dan rated it really liked it
Very welcome sequel to the first 3 books. I thought the first three were perfect in their closure with Roh and Vanye. this one has famiklar elements, Morgaine always the observed, we're never inside her head (adds to the tension) her "thees and thous" when speaking with vanye in Andurien, and the 'couplish' relationship the two main protagonists have. I was sad that there was no feeling of closure here, it seemed ready-made for a to-be-continued. At least her oriigns are revealed here. Loyalty, ...more
William Ritch
Aug 04, 2016 William Ritch rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf, fantasy
I real great ending (?) to this series. A lot more revelation about the characters and the science fiction aspects of this universe that Morgaine inhabits. I wonder if there will be more.
Norman Howe
May 22, 2015 Norman Howe rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A long-awaited addition to the Morgaine novels.
Jul 21, 2010 Vanessa rated it really liked it
This particular series is one of Cherryh's best and I like everything she writes. None of the books are really complete on their own, which I suppose is why each gets 4 stars from me rather than 5, although I probably enjoyed these books more than some of the books I've given 5 stars. I wish there were more books in this series. There easily could be, and I'm not sure why she decided not to take this series any further. Cherryh hints at a connection to her Alliance-Union universe that would have ...more
Sarah G.
Aug 06, 2016 Sarah G. rated it it was amazing
It's definitely evident in this book that Cherryh's storytelling skills improved in the ten years between its publication and that of TMS 1–3. Although it's a great story and a great follow-up to the first three books, there are certain points where it almost seems as if Cherryh is making fun of herself and/or the fantasy genre. It's pretty subtle, though, because Cherryh is good at that.

Definitely my favorite book of TMS.
Jan 31, 2010 Travis rated it liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
really unsatisfactory attempt to wrap up the major story lines of this saga. Biggest book of the series and yet the one where the least amount seems to happen.
No feeling of a resolution, just more that Cherryh lost interest or didn't know what to do next. Shame as it's one of my favorite works of hers and I wished she'd do more with these characters.

Murray Writtle
May 04, 2008 Murray Writtle rated it it was amazing
Cherryh returns to the universe where Morgaine and her henchman are closing the stargates that rip apart the fabric of the universe. But this one is a notch above the others. The characters are powerfully interwoven and she takes gate tech to a whole new level.
Jul 09, 2012 Jared rated it liked it
Interesting characters and premise but each book is EXACTLY the same. I read them all expecting something to finally happen in the overall story, but it never does. If you've read one of the four you've read them all an it's honestly like deja vu after that.
Aug 22, 2016 Justjeanette rated it it was amazing
Shelves: b-own, s-series
I first read this many, many years ago... I have Michael Whelan's limited edition of the cover hanging at home.. I still want to see more of these two, I re-read Exile's Gate, in particular, every 2 or three years still.
Sep 06, 2012 Steve rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-kindle
Best of the series I thought. Struggled with the previous 3 books but persisted with them because their CJ's. Many questions answered in the last chapters about Morgaine's origins which helped the rating.
May 08, 2009 Mina rated it it was amazing
I am not a science fiction or fantasy fanatic by any means, but this is probably one the best I've read so far. In fact, I may want to read it again one day as it is a very good story.
  • High Sorcery
  • The Master (Time Master, #3)
  • The Witches of Wenshar (Sun Wolf and Starhawk, #2)
  • Golden Witchbreed
  • The Madness Season
  • Wild Magic (The Godwars, #3)
  • To Trade the Stars (Trade Pact Universe, #3)
  • Eternal Light (Four Hundred Billion Stars, #3)
  • The Shining Ones (Arthur C. Clarke's Venus Prime, Book 6)
  • Harm's Way
  • The Perfect Princess
  • Sorcerer's Son (The Book of Elementals, #1)
  • Daughter of Regals and Other Tales
  • The Chantry Guild (Childe Cycle, #9)
  • Dinosaur Beach
  • The Phoenix and  the Mirror
  • The Three of Swords (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser #1-3)
  • Delirium's Mistress (Flat Earth, #4)
Currently resident in Spokane, Washington, C.J. Cherryh has won four Hugos and is one of the best-selling and most critically acclaimed authors in the science fiction and fantasy field. She is the author of more than forty novels. Her hobbies include travel, photography, reef culture, Mariners baseball, and, a late passion, figure skating: she intends to compete in the adult USFSA track. She began ...more
More about C.J. Cherryh...

Morgaine & Vanye (4 books)
  • Gate of Ivrel (Morgaine & Vanye, #1)
  • Well of Shiuan (Morgaine & Vanye, #2)
  • Fires of Azeroth (Morgaine & Vanye, #3)