Start by marking “I'll Always Love You” as Want to Read:
I'll Always Love You

I'll Always Love You

Illus. in full color. "In this gentle, moving story, Elfie, a dachshund, and her special boy progress happily through life together. One morning Elfie does not wake up. The family grieves and buries her. The watercolor illustrations, tender and warm in color and mood, suit the simple text perfectly."--School Library Journal.
Published December 12th 1988 by Dragonfly Books (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about I'll Always Love You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'll Always Love You

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Children's Books
468th out of 3,708 books — 5,287 voters
Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine PatersonCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteA Little Princess by Frances Hodgson BurnettLove You Forever by Robert MunschIn Memory of Dad by Maranda Russell
Best Children's Books About Death
13th out of 106 books — 52 voters

More lists with this book...

Jan 24, 2008 Charissa rated it it was amazing
We played this one out live action for the rapt audience that parents often are (uh huh) and my sister, being the little hawk-eyed harbinger that she was, insisted on being the dead dog. I buried her in a yellow laundry basket and wailed "I'll always love youuuu!"...probably while wearing a cape. I pretty much assumed that a cape was THE little black dress of costumes and deployed it with abandon during drama sessions.
Brittany Koontz

Reading Level: Ages 4-8; Early

Topic and Theme: Pet Death, Animals

Curricular Use: Individual Reading, Shared Reading, Read Aloud

Social: Sad, Loss, Coping

Text and Pictures: The pictures are simple and relate to each sentence in the book.

Summary: This book is about a close relationship between a dog, Elfie, and a little boy. The dog grew up with the little boy, and they did everything together. Every night before bed
Sep 21, 2009 Megan rated it it was amazing
One of my favoirte childrens books... when I want my face to leak that is. If you had or have dogs you won't be able to control your tears...
Elke Ursin
Aug 28, 2010 Elke Ursin rated it really liked it
This one is great to help a grieving child. We've got four older pets, and my little one is probably going to have to go through this process in the near future. This one will be on the top of my list to help her through it.
i was given this book when my first dog died, i think its a good book at showing children that although death can be a hard thing to face, that remembering the good things and realizing how much you will always lovethat person/ or pet
Caroline Barnett
I'll Always Love You is a touching book about a family dog who passes away. Most people can relate to this book about a family dog, but If i read this book in my class it would be to introduce death in a none scary way. This book shows you that death is a part of life.
Sep 27, 2011 Candice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sophie - when she is older, a child who has lost a pet
Shelves: picture-books
A beautiful book to help a child who has lost a pet. Elfie the dog and the little boy who narrates the story have grown up together. Although Elfie is a family pet, she is really the narrator's dog, and every day ht tells her, "I'll always love you." When Elfie grows old and dies in her sleep, the family grieves and buries her in the back yard, but the boy finds comfort in knowing that he told her that he loved her. The softly colored illustrations show beautifully the bond between a child and a ...more
Oct 10, 2011 Nichole rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Bought this at a scholastic book fair at school because it reminded me of my first dog Freckles. It's about a boy who gets a puppy and how they age together. It ends in a melancholy way but I liked it.
Nov 16, 2011 Alyssa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I have read it ever since I was a newborn. I've never been close with any pets and I haven't lost any pets close to me now. I am currently 13 yrs old writing this review and its still makes me cry. It's a very tear-wrenching and emotional childrens story and recommend everyone to read this heart warming tale between a boy and his dog. I cherish this story. :,)
Shelbi Bishop
Dec 12, 2011 Shelbi Bishop rated it really liked it
Elfie, the dachshund, is a boy's best friends. As they move through life, they both get older. One day, Elfie doesn't wake up. The family buries the dog and grieves the loss.

I would use this book to discuss grief and sadness with the students.
Feb 05, 2012 Alicia rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Well, can it be more blunt? The boy's dog dies and he's sad but decides that until he's ready for a new one, he'll give away his dog's supplies to friends who have dogs of their own. Sweet. We'll keep this one on file for when our senior dog dies and the boys are still young enough to need a book to help them understand.
May 04, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing
my mother got me this book when my dog rainbow was getting older and I was going to experiance death for the first time. it helped me grow and understand death. I recommend to any pet owner and animal lover
Chelsea Horton
Sep 02, 2012 Chelsea Horton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a great book, especially with kids with older pets or ones that have recently passed. The lesson shows children that even though pets die and they'll probably have many pets, they will always love them. Also I like the fact that it is not too long of a book. Overall it is sweet, short, and teaches a great lesson.
Sep 02, 2012 Megan rated it it was amazing
PB 15: This book is really sad. I remember reading it as a kid, and so I dreaded the ending because it is still sad as an adult. It is a good book to read to kids if they have a pet that passes away. It is beautifully written for such a sad/depressing topic and for kids to understand. The illustrations in the book are also beautiful.
Oct 20, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
This story is great if you need to open up a discussion on the death of a pet that a child/client loved dearly. This was a great read and really shed light on many of the emotions that a child could feel in this situation. It ends with good closure and encouragement for the child.
Jedi Knight Muse
Feb 09, 2013 Jedi Knight Muse rated it it was amazing
My parents bought this book for me to, I believe, prepare me for when my dog Missy was going to die- she was fifteen or sixteen years old and I was in around first grade. It's a great book for preparing kids for their pets' deaths.
This book made my eyes burn while forming tears. This is why I love reading Childrens Literature - that heartwrenching feeling when you relate to something just sets you off. In this amazing little book is a story about love, death, and acceptance with a touch of growing up.
Patty Schuster
This is a great book for chidlren who have pets and have lost a pet. A little sad but short and teaches the chidlren a good lesson. This book shows children the love pets can bring and even though they may pass away they still love them.

Emily Levings
Mar 29, 2014 Emily Levings rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ed-t-l-2368
Wilhelm, H. (1985). I'll Always Love You. NY: Scholastic, Inc.

I think this is a great book for children. I think it should be for kids from ages 7-9 because it introduces the sadness that is loss of life, even if it is a dog. I have three dogs, on is 13, so this book almost made me cry. Yet I still think it's good because it does bring the reality that those things do happen. This is a great book, and the author did a fantastic job writing the book so the reader feels what the author wants them
Mar 07, 2015 Josiah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As picture books that deal with deep sadness go, I'll Always Love You isn't the most crushing heartbreak out there. The Scar by Charlotte Moundlic and Harry & Hopper by Margaret Wild are far more heartrending, stories of such beautiful, pure power that it's hard to think of many better books ever to see print; in the case of Harry & Hopper, I'm not sure I can think of even one. Yet I'll Always Love You, while a few notches below some other similarly themed picture books on a scale of ra ...more
Apr 25, 2015 Cindy rated it really liked it
I've never once owned a pet before but this book was very heartwarming. I can only imagine what it feels like to lose a pet.
Cheryl Belt-Jackson
May 01, 2015 Cheryl Belt-Jackson rated it it was amazing
Picture book
Elementary students
This story explores life with a feeling of love for your pet as well as a feeling of loss.
Three little words "I love You".
This story shares the importance of letting people that you love know that you love them. Elementary students can have a ball in a pentagram of who they love. Learn how to not only say it, but show love also
Rachel Boatright
Nov 27, 2015 Rachel Boatright rated it really liked it
This book is so sad but it is a realistic story about what some children go through with their dogs. These dogs are not just animals but they are family. A young boy and his dog Elfie do everything together they have always been by each others sides. But one thing is Elfie grew old and bigger then his boy and as time passed it began to get harder for Elfie. When he passed everyone was sad because they all loved Elfie and would miss him very much and no one would be able to replace him. This is a ...more
Dec 21, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing
A Classic for anyone who has had a pet.
It's also a reminder that it is important to say the words, "I love you."
Feb 25, 2016 Lily rated it really liked it
A sweet little book for when a child is dealing with the loss of a pet. Recently, 5 of our chickens were killed by a neighborhood dog. My children raised their chickens and helped care for them. These hens were our family. It's heartbreaking to see your child so upset and disturbed. Although this book is about a dog, my girls could relate to it. There was a illustration with a chicken at the very end. This book is good to have on hand. Losing animals is tough.
Alex Daniels
Mar 17, 2016 Alex Daniels rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I'll Always Love You is an adorable story of a boy and his pet dachshund. The boy grows up with his dog and they do everything together. His family treats the dog kindly, but never straight out tells her that they love her. The boy is the only one who tells her that he'll always love her. As she gets older, she grows fatter and has difficulty walking up the stairs. The boy continues to take care of her and pack her up the stairs no matter how big she gets. This book shows the love and loyalty of ...more
Oh no, a sad story about a blonde long dog. Time to cry in the stacks again.

But seriously this is a perfect picture book for kids experiencing the loss of a beloved pet. My favorite part is that the boy soothes his grief by reminding himself how much he loved his dog and that he told her every night. He's not told that "time heals all wounds" or that his sweet pup is in doggie heaven. Also he doesn't rush the grieving process by getting another pet at the end.
Mar 26, 2016 Rachel rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best children's books. I can't recommend it more. The only problem is that it's only available in paperback. What's the deal with this? It will cost me over 400 dollars to get a hard copy. Crazy! You can't go wrong with this book and every children's library needs this book.
Sep 23, 2016 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, jbooks
Good book to recommend to a child tht lost a dog :(
  • The Tenth Good Thing About Barney
  • When a Pet Dies
  • Badger's Parting Gifts
  • Dog Heaven
  • When Dinosaurs Die: A Guide to Understanding Death
  • The Dead Bird
  • Saying Goodbye to Lulu
  • I Miss You: a First Look at Death (First Look at Books (Paperback))
  • Lifetimes: A Beautiful Way to Explain Life and Death to Children