Start by marking “I'll Always Love You” as Want to Read:
I'll Always Love You

I'll Always Love You

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  341 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Illus. in full color. "In this gentle, moving story, Elfie, a dachshund, and her special boy progress happily through life together. One morning Elfie does not wake up. The family grieves and buries her. The watercolor illustrations, tender and warm in color and mood, suit the simple text perfectly."--School Library Journal....more
Published December 12th 1988 by Dragonfly Books (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about I'll Always Love You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'll Always Love You

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Children's Books
448th out of 3,071 books — 4,557 voters
Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine PatersonIn Memory of Dad by Maranda RussellA Little Princess by Frances Hodgson BurnettSieben Minuten nach Mitternacht by Patrick NessElijah Dart by Jonathan Ferrara
Best Children's Books About Death
12th out of 70 books — 32 voters

More lists with this book...

Megan
PB 15: This book is really sad. I remember reading it as a kid, and so I dreaded the ending because it is still sad as an adult. It is a good book to read to kids if they have a pet that passes away. It is beautifully written for such a sad/depressing topic and for kids to understand. The illustrations in the book are also beautiful.
Emily Levings
Wilhelm, H. (1985). I'll Always Love You. NY: Scholastic, Inc.

I think this is a great book for children. I think it should be for kids from ages 7-9 because it introduces the sadness that is loss of life, even if it is a dog. I have three dogs, on is 13, so this book almost made me cry. Yet I still think it's good because it does bring the reality that those things do happen. This is a great book, and the author did a fantastic job writing the book so the reader feels what the author wants them...more
Brittany Koontz
Author and Illustrator: Hans Wilhelm

Genre: Fiction Picture Book

Year Published: 1988

Reading Level: Ages 4-8; Early

Topic and Theme: Pet Death, Animals

Curricular Use: Individual Reading, Shared Reading, Read Aloud

Social: Sad, Loss, Coping

Text and Pictures: The pictures are simple and relate to each sentence in the book.

Summary: This book is about a close relationship between a dog, Elfie, and a little boy. The dog grew up with the little boy, and they did everything together. Every night before bed...more
Çody Tømas
One of the best from my childhood; never a dry eye do I have after reading.
Garren
A good picture book pick for a child who misses a family pet.
Zim Dela Peña
For the pet lover...
Candice
Sep 27, 2011 Candice rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sophie - when she is older, a child who has lost a pet
Shelves: picture-books
A beautiful book to help a child who has lost a pet. Elfie the dog and the little boy who narrates the story have grown up together. Although Elfie is a family pet, she is really the narrator's dog, and every day ht tells her, "I'll always love you." When Elfie grows old and dies in her sleep, the family grieves and buries her in the back yard, but the boy finds comfort in knowing that he told her that he loved her. The softly colored illustrations show beautifully the bond between a child and a...more
Charissa
We played this one out live action for the rapt audience that parents often are (uh huh) and my sister, being the little hawk-eyed harbinger that she was, insisted on being the dead dog. I buried her in a yellow laundry basket and wailed "I'll always love youuuu!"...probably while wearing a cape. I pretty much assumed that a cape was THE little black dress of costumes and deployed it with abandon during drama sessions.
Alyssa
I loved this book. I have read it ever since I was a newborn. I've never been close with any pets and I haven't lost any pets close to me now. I am currently 13 yrs old writing this review and its still makes me cry. It's a very tear-wrenching and emotional childrens story and recommend everyone to read this heart warming tale between a boy and his dog. I cherish this story. :,)
Alicia
Well, can it be more blunt? The boy's dog dies and he's sad but decides that until he's ready for a new one, he'll give away his dog's supplies to friends who have dogs of their own. Sweet. We'll keep this one on file for when our senior dog dies and the boys are still young enough to need a book to help them understand.
Chelsea Horton
This is a great book, especially with kids with older pets or ones that have recently passed. The lesson shows children that even though pets die and they'll probably have many pets, they will always love them. Also I like the fact that it is not too long of a book. Overall it is sweet, short, and teaches a great lesson.
Tracy
Sarah Stephens
This story is great if you need to open up a discussion on the death of a pet that a child/client loved dearly. This was a great read and really shed light on many of the emotions that a child could feel in this situation. It ends with good closure and encouragement for the child.
Caroline Barnett
I'll Always Love You is a touching book about a family dog who passes away. Most people can relate to this book about a family dog, but If i read this book in my class it would be to introduce death in a none scary way. This book shows you that death is a part of life.
Marga
This book made my eyes burn while forming tears. This is why I love reading Childrens Literature - that heartwrenching feeling when you relate to something just sets you off. In this amazing little book is a story about love, death, and acceptance with a touch of growing up.
Shelbi Bishop
Elfie, the dachshund, is a boy's best friends. As they move through life, they both get older. One day, Elfie doesn't wake up. The family buries the dog and grieves the loss.

I would use this book to discuss grief and sadness with the students.
Patty Schuster
This is a great book for chidlren who have pets and have lost a pet. A little sad but short and teaches the chidlren a good lesson. This book shows children the love pets can bring and even though they may pass away they still love them.

Missy
i was given this book when my first dog died, i think its a good book at showing children that although death can be a hard thing to face, that remembering the good things and realizing how much you will always lovethat person/ or pet
Jedi Knight Muse
My parents bought this book for me to, I believe, prepare me for when my dog Missy was going to die- she was fifteen or sixteen years old and I was in around first grade. It's a great book for preparing kids for their pets' deaths.
Elke
This one is great to help a grieving child. We've got four older pets, and my little one is probably going to have to go through this process in the near future. This one will be on the top of my list to help her through it.
Deborah Harris
Dec 24, 2013 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: a19, ar-2
AR Quiz No. 18631 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 2.6 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, RV
Nichole
Bought this at a scholastic book fair at school because it reminded me of my first dog Freckles. It's about a boy who gets a puppy and how they age together. It ends in a melancholy way but I liked it.
Heather
my mother got me this book when my dog rainbow was getting older and I was going to experiance death for the first time. it helped me grow and understand death. I recommend to any pet owner and animal lover
Stephanie Allen
The family is all very sad when Elfie, their dog, passes away. The little boy is comforted from knowing that every night he told Elfie "I'll always love you." He was sure that Elfie understood.
Megan
One of my favoirte childrens books... when I want my face to leak that is. If you had or have dogs you won't be able to control your tears...
Monica
When children's books are illustrated with inappropriate pictures, it makes an otherwise decent book undeserving of it's audience.
Veronica
This is a great book to introduce the concept of death to childern. They could see that we can still love someone even after they are gone
Jess
Oct 12, 2011 Jess added it
Shelves: children-ya
This book is so heartbreaking. I read it when I was 8, and at the age of 23 just thinking about it makes me cry.
I read this one to preview before showing it to the kids. It's pretty good with pet death, perhaps for younger kids.
Katey Lee
  • Carl's Christmas
  • Paddington Bear
  • The Next Place
  • Nana Upstairs and Nana Downstairs
  • Arthur's Thanksgiving (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • The Biggest, Best Snowman
  • The Dog's Mind: Understanding Your Dog's Behavior
  • Harry and the Bucketful of Dinosaurs
  • Clifford's Kitten
  • Listen, Buddy
Tyrone the Horrible I Hate My Bow!  (Hello Reader!, Level 1) I Love School! (Noodles: Scholastic Reader Level 1) Bunny Trouble (rev) Don't Cut My Hair!