Start by marking “The Ice Cave: A Woman’s Adventures from the Mojave to the Antarctic” as Want to Read:
The Ice Cave: A Woman’s Adventures from the Mojave to the Antarctic

The Ice Cave: A Woman’s Adventures from the Mojave to the Antarctic

For Lucy Jane Bledsoe, wilderness had always been a source of peace. But during one disastrous solo trip in the wintry High Sierra she came face to face with a crisis: the wilderness no longer felt like home. The Ice Cave recounts Bledsoe’s wilderness journeys as she recovers her connection with the wild and discovers the meanings of fear and grace.

These are Bledsoe’s grip
Published July 17th 2006 by University of Wisconsin Press

To ask other readers questions about The Ice Cave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ice Cave

Feb 28, 2012 Keith rated it liked it
An entertaining book about a woman who seeks adventure all over the world in order to satisfy a yearning inside her that just isn't satisfied by modern society. Lucy enjoys the thrill of exploring and being alone in remote locations. Though she does some of her adventuring with other people along for the ride, it is clear that she is a lone wolf and prefers her only company to be the flora and fauna around her. The book is broken into a chapter per adventure and some are more compelling than oth ...more
Feb 09, 2014 Denise rated it it was ok
I typically read nonfiction and was looking to this one. While I knew this was several experiences from the author, I was disappointed with the brevity of them. The stories are simple and well written, but seem to lack the 'meat' of most nonfictions. I feel that several stories seem to minimize the dangers to extreme situations: a grizzly encounter, a wolf scratching at a tent etc..Though this should not have surprised me, as early on the author self describes herself as being what I would consi ...more
Nov 28, 2010 Tammy rated it really liked it
In this book, Lucy Jane Bledsoe captures the mysterious subliminity of wilderness -- where-ever it may be found. As with all good bards, her words capture the essence of experiences I have shared in part, but lack the words to articulate.
"Perhaps climbing a mountain is nothing more than an act of worship, and reaching the barren perch of a summit is to experience pure awe."
From the fear of solo adventures gone wrong, to the strange allure of deserts, to the unity of boat and water in a sea kayak
Aug 09, 2015 Erika rated it it was ok
I thought it was going to be an adventure survival tale, but it was more like an introspective travelogue to beautiful and extreme places. Even though the author got into dangerous scrapes, the book never had me on the edge of my seat. A pleasant read.
Jul 31, 2011 Monica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, travel
While I'd read several of these essays in anthologies before, I was glad to read them again. Also, while I'd never really been interested in Antarctica before (it's cold, and inhospitable--'Nuff said), I really enjoyed Blesoe's essay about the continent and her time there.
Sandra Lambert
Apr 20, 2014 Sandra Lambert rated it it was amazing
Nature essays at their best combine adventure and philosophy. These essays are at their best. I've written more about The Ice Cave on my website
Caitlin Jellybean
Caitlin Jellybean rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2011
Helma Santegoets
Helma Santegoets rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2015
Heather rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2015
Kimberly rated it it was ok
Jan 27, 2011
Kerry Black
Kerry Black rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2013
Carol rated it liked it
May 18, 2010
Jessica Maynard
Jessica Maynard rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2012
Katrina rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2011
Abbe rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2009
Sonia rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2008
Jan Bailie
Jan Bailie rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2014
Jule rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2012
Julia rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2014
Ellen rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2008
Alison rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2012
Emily rated it it was ok
Jul 19, 2011
Josie rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2011
Karen Blair
Karen Blair rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2014
Judy rated it did not like it
Aug 21, 2009
Krista rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2011
Patricia rated it it was ok
Aug 24, 2009
snapshotradio rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2008
Pat Mullan
Pat Mullan rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2014
Jessica V
Jessica V rated it liked it
May 23, 2012
Lucy Jane Bledsoe's new novel, A THIN BRIGHT LINE, will be out in October 2016. She loves to eat, hike, hang out with friends, and dreams a lot about sea mammals. She's been to Antarctica three times, and all that is in her novel, THE BIG BANG SYMPHONY. She loves to read and believes that stories are the glue that hold communities together.
More about Lucy Jane Bledsoe...