Start by marking “The Part-Time People” as Want to Read:
The Part-Time People

Read Book* *Different edition

The Part-Time People

2.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  129 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
DeBarrie's Stationery Store needed help again. Somehow, the part-time people never worked out. It was a problem. One after another, the part-time people came and went, and sometimes, nobody ever found out what happened to them. The newest one seemed even more hopeless than usual. His job application announced "there's a man who follows me around and ruins everything I try ...more
Nook, 0 pages
Published November 25th 2009 by Smashwords, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Part-Time People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Part-Time People

PurplyCookie
Jul 12, 2012 PurplyCookie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories, e-book
This is a very odd short story that doesn't evoke much emotion beyond mild curiosity and confusion. The characters were peculiar and often inconsistent. You never truly understand any of them. The plot just seemed a little too obscure to grasp. The story suffers from numerous problems with both punctuation and grammar, and the plot seemed inconsistent, with oddly developed characters and an abrupt, disjointed ending.

I enjoyed it although I felt there were many parts that were missed. I felt like
K.R. Bankston
First of all, this was a short story and I really am iffy about them, but reading the synopsis decided to give it a shot. Needless to say I was completely disappointed not only with the length of the story, but the lack of depth it held. It was just one big mindless plot of strange people, with crazy issues, and no real basis as to why or resolution about what happens with them or too them. The writing itself was good, the author has talent and honestly if this was an intro to his work, it was a ...more
Emily
May 23, 2015 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has been months since I finished this book and I keep thinking back to it. I hope the author re-vists this story. With just a bit of polishing this would be spectacular.
It kind of felt like just a start... or a second draft...
The characters are interesting, but need development, and the plot was going somewhere, but the end happened to quickly.
I recommend this to anyone looking for a quirky story that will make them think.
Kimberly
Apr 24, 2011 Kimberly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Did not see this ending coming!

The entire short story seemed almost boring and pointless, besides a few strange characters. It wasn't until the last 10 pages or so (this is a 57 pages story) when it twisted in such a way that I didn't even see it coming.

Maybe not worth the time, but then it isn't too long of a story.
Teresa Crawford
This is a short story about what seems like real people just working in a small shop. It makes you think that you never know who you are hiring, that there are just as many odd people that there are "normal" people in the world, it's just the luck of the draw. It gave me a good chuckle at the end.
Midu Hadi
What David wrote in his application was by far the most interesting thing in this story and I would have loved it, if the author had went on with that.
We are never told what becomes of Gwen and I would have liked to know where she ended up.
Not one of the author's best.
Kate
Mar 25, 2011 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freeebooks
I enjoyed this story. The characters were very human and believable. Having worked part time in retail I know just how insane things can be. David is an interesting character and it took me a little while to warm up to him, but I really enjoyed the end.
Christina
Great book about a stationary store and how it seem people that come to work there part time never say. They work there for a spell and then it seems the time comes and they just leave. It really was just a short story at only 125 pages.

Caroline
An odd little tale.
Kelly Boylan
Yes, I know this was meant to be just a short story, but even so. It was fine as far as it went, but it could have been so much better with a little more character development and storyline. Great idea for a book, it just didn't go far enough.
MsBDiamondDiva1
Aug 03, 2012 MsBDiamondDiva1 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trash-books
This was an utterly, poorly written piece of work; better yet...you can't even call it a story: 0 It was merely the ramblings of a mad man!!! Nothing made sense in this piece!!!
P.A.
Jan 07, 2012 P.A. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Would make a good book with more character development. Also would make a good story for a magazine but this is not a novel, it is only a short story.
James
Jun 16, 2011 James rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Starts out a little boring, but has an interseting twist at the end. All in all it was quick read, and as it was free for kindle worth the read.
Onna
Jan 02, 2013 Onna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick and enjoyable read. My personal favorite part was the ending.
Brandi
Dec 20, 2012 Brandi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute short story :) a bit funny and weird all rolled up into one!
Dimitra
Jul 16, 2013 Dimitra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
strange ending...
Suki
Suki marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Mauricia Espinosa
Mauricia Espinosa rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2016
Dee Gray
Dee Gray marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Shelby
Shelby rated it it was ok
May 22, 2016
Brittanny Marie
Brittanny Marie marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Kathi Barden
Kathi Barden marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2016
Mz Steph
Mz Steph marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016
Debbie Miller
Debbie Miller rated it it was amazing
Feb 29, 2016
  • The Thirteenth Gift
  • Blackbird
  • Einstein's Shutter
  • The Friend Request
  • Divorce Sucks: What to Do When Irreconcilable Differences, Lawyer Fees, and Your Ex's Hollywood Wife Make You Miserable
  • Timedrops (Atopia Chronicles, #3)
  • Looking Through Lace (Looking Through Lace, #1)
  • Snodgrass Vacation
  • Desperate Times
  • The Second Ward
  • Happyland
  • Too Near The Edge (Cleo & Tyler Mysteries, #1)
  • Paintwork
I've written a lot of stories, and one thing I've learned is that stories have a life. They want to be read, and they're brought to life by readers. Readers give them meaning, give them substance and fulfill their destinies. Stories aren't picky about who reads them. They welcome everyone. Money means nothing to them - they don't care how much the reader paid and they equally don't care how much t ...more
More about Tom Lichtenberg...