Start by marking “The Very Lonely Firefly board book” as Want to Read:
The Very Lonely Firefly board book

The Very Lonely Firefly board book

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  7,456 Ratings  ·  145 Reviews
One night a very lonely firefly goes off in search of friends. Each time he sees a flicker of light he flies off toward it, but none of them turn out to be fireflies. He sees a lantern, an owl's eyes, even headlights shining in the darkness. Will the lonely firefly ever find creatures like himself? A classic in its own time, The Very Lonely Firefly is finally available in ...more
Board Book, 16 pages
Published July 19th 1999 by Philomel Books (first published June 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Very Lonely Firefly board book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Very Lonely Firefly board book

Karen Dransfield
Nov 16, 2015 Karen Dransfield rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
Another classic Eric Carle book. If you get the book new there is a battery operated back cover which flashes lights when you get to it. What was really interesting about this book was the dedication in the from cover by Eric Carle about it books and making a series of stories. I'm wanting to remember what he wrote since I haven't seen it written anywhere else so I'll copy it here. It would make for good points when using the books with kids.

"quote"
Dear Friends,
After THE VERY HUNGRY CATERPILLAR
Danielle Bartelmay
This is a story about a lonely firefly that goes to search for more fireflies. He searches out different sources of light hoping he will find more friends. In the end, he finds a group of fireflies after encountering flashlights, dog’s eye, fireworks, etc. This book is a great way to introduce the science of light. It chronicles different sources of light including reflection in a dog and cat’s eyes. I think it would be great to introduce all types of different lights and to pair it with live de ...more
Jailah Gamble
Sep 03, 2015 Jailah Gamble rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Very Lonely Firefly by Eric Carle starts off with a scene of the sun setting and becoming night time. The book brings in the main character, the lonely firefly. The lonely firefly is flying through the night trying to find someone that has the same light as he does. On the way he runs into a family and their pets who has different objects that confuses the firefly into thinking they are the same as him. He keeps searching through the night until he finds what he was looking for.

What caugh
Camille Ryckman
Brief summary - A Firefly searches for other fireflies and happens upon other things that light up at night until he finds the fireflies.
Annotation A story that builds throughout on what different light sources might be used at night as the firefly ventures on. The pictures are spectacular and the final page where he find the fireflies all the tails light up.
Age appropriateness 0-4
Connection to six early literacy skills - I think this book hits all of these early literacy skills
Print Motivation
Anna
Nov 19, 2013 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Very Lonely Firefly / Eric Carle / 1995
Genre: fiction
Format: picture book

Plot Summary:A lonely firefly goes out into the night searching for other fireflies.

Considerations: none

Review Citation:
Booklist Reviews, May 1995
"Its simplicity and its depiction of feeling lonely and finding one's place in a group will appeal to preschoolers. As the flap copy says, "The Very Lonely Firefly is about belonging."

Recommended age: 3-6
Anna Frame
Personal Reaction- I like this book a lot because the story is very cute and also presents something new to students. Some of the things in the book may be new to students. For example, some might not know what a firefly is. The story also keeps children guessing because it asks about different lights that could be seen outside at night and distinguishes them from a firefly. I loved this book as a kid and I think others will too!
Purposes- I would read this aloud to kindergarten students for seve
Angela Sunde
Feb 03, 2016 Angela Sunde rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
The last in Eric Carle's quartet of 'Very', The Very lonely Firefly is about belonging. "We all want to belong to a group, a family, our own fellow creatures." – Eric Carle.

This is a lovely book to read aloud to an individual child or group. Children are given the opportunity – through the visual narrative – to guess what each light is. 'But it was not another firefly. It was a...'

For Australian children, who will guess 'torch' instead of 'flashlight', I alter the reading to suit and explain the
Bianca
Sep 03, 2015 Bianca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book The Very Lonely Firefly is a great children's book. Its a about a firefly that was born as the sun sets and the firefly is alone. As the book goes on its the firefly trying to find other fireflies that sines like him. The firefly runs into different light sources like a lightbulb,candle,flashlight and many more things. I love the ending of this book because it actually shows the light from the fireflies.
This book has simple illustrations but they go along perfectly with the story. I w
Madelyn Adams
I honestly, think this story would be good read a loud book for children in the classroom. I would personally use this book at the beginning of Kindergarten, because the language is simple. The book does include some larger vocabulary words, which would help stretch a Kindergartener’s vocabulary. For instance, “their eyes reflecting the lights” or “They were fireworks sparkling and glittering and shimmering in the night sky.” However, the plot of the book was very simple.

This book would be good
Elizabeth Walker
This picture book has amazing pictures and the end even lights up, how fun is that?! The Very Lonely Firefly is about a firefly who is trying to find other fireflies, but instead continues to find other lights. Finally he finds his friends. This book would be great for kindergarten or first grade students because of the fun pictures and the light up ending. I only rated the book a three though because it can be somewhat repetitive because the same line is mentioned on every page. All in all it i ...more
Allison
Jul 04, 2012 Allison rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. It starts out with a lonely firefly. He kept seeing lights in the sky but every time he went to inspect it, it was something else. In the first it was a light bulb, then a candle, then a flashlight, then a lamp, then the eyes of a dog, a cat and an owl and even fireworks. Still couldn't find other fireflies like him. It ended with the firefly finally finding other fireflies. I know if the end the fireflies were supposed to light up when the book was opened to the last page but ...more
Heidi
Well, I've seen the back of this book before, but hadn't read it. So, I decided to read it. I like that there is a "story-arc" going on as the firefly searches for other fireflies. And as I like fireflies, the subject of the book got to me. And I always admire Carle's illustrations. But I'll admit that I'm not in love with most of his books. They're standards, yes. But not my favorites.

But who can not like blinking fireflies at the end?!

And in honor, here was the song we women sang in Sound of A
Teeny
Feb 15, 2010 Teeny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Summary: The Very Lonely Firefly is a story about a little firefly that was just born and is searching for other fireflies. The little firefly keeps seeing lights, but they end up not being other fireflies. Instead, they are flashlights, fireworks, candles, lanterns, and etc. At the end, the little firefly finally finds other fireflies and he is not lonely anymore. This is a story that children will enjoy and remember for years to come!

Author and Illustrator: Eric Carle

Audience: K-1st

Genre: Fict
Christina Swain
This book would be a great shared reading to kids to help them understand the dynamics to friendships. In this story, a lonely firefly goes through an exploration to make friends and belong. I could implement this story to my young students and teach them a lesson on being kind with others. Yes, it is true that everyone we encounter, we will not necessarily befriend. However, while children are at such a young age, it is important that they are willing to be friendly to their classmates.
Ethelen V.
Apr 04, 2014 Ethelen V. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: etl2368
Carle, E. (1995). The very lonely firefly. New York, NY: Philomel Books.

A firefly is looking for someone who looks like him. He sees an owl, a lantern, animals' eyes and even fireworks. All of these have bright lights but none match him. He is lonely and wants someone to share with. Just as he's about to give up, he finds what he's been looking for.

Like other Eric Carle books, this book is bright, colorful, and has surprises. It captures the eyes and the imagination. It is designed for infants
Ang
Preschool Storytime: Firefly/Animals theme

This is a good book for Preschool storytime. While it's on the longer side, the illustrations are whimsical and beautifully rendered. The text is easy to read and the reader can use the book as interactive tool to get the kids to identify animals within the story. Also, the ending is really cool because there are flashing lights, the kids would like that.
Laura Mincey
Eric Carle writes a tale about a firefly who is bound and determined to see the whole world for himself. However, there is a big problem--this firefly is lonely, and doesn't think it will be too great to tour the world alone. So, as the firefly is traveling, he stops and recruits friends on the way (different groups of animals). Once the firefly isn't so lonely anymore with his travel companions, he sets off on his journey to see the world. However, the animals begin to have second thoughts abou ...more
Michael Duffey
This book was about a firefly that was lonely and looking for other fireflies. He flew all over searching high and low. The grade level intended is K-2. This book could be connected with science specifically seasons because fireflies only show up in Virginia during the summer months. I thought this book was good, but I still prefer Eric Carle's books The Very Hungry Catapillar and Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See. The artwork is the same as his other books, very fun to look at.
Becca Bolerjack
This book is about s firefly who wishes to find other fireflies to fly with. He seems to only be able to find other things that light up at night, until then end when he finds the other fireflies. This story could be used to teach children perseverance and overcoming obstacles.
Wendy
Oct 10, 2015 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On the dedication page, it states that a firefly's "light is a "cold" light; it does not give off any heat--something that has scientists puzzled." Infinite mystery in small things--and after all these years, the fireflies still burn brightly at the end of the book.
Char Hight
What a cute book! This book would be very cute as an intro to an insect unit or even a sweet bedtime story. The illustrations are amazing as Carle always does a superb job. I loved the animated fireflies at the end of the book I read. Age Pre-K to 1st.
Meg McGregor
Feb 28, 2014 Meg McGregor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-lexi
This classic by Eric Carle explores how all creatures seek out others so that they are not lonely.

Beautifully written and illustrated in Carle's classic style this book is sure to become a favorite for your little reader.
Jen
May 13, 2015 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute book, especially the end when he meets his fellow fireflies and they all light up. I wasn't overly keen on the artwork with the people, but the dark colors helped to enhance the firefly's feeling of loneliness.
Ashton
This book is a cute story for children. In this it shows how the firefly just wants to be wanted. He is flying around the family just trying to get their attention by his light.
Mia Balsamo
Sep 06, 2012 Mia Balsamo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebook
PB16: I love Eric Carle picturebooks. I love how his illustrations are different than most other illustrators. I am not sure exactly what he does but the pictures appear to be collages, and they are rough pictures, the lines aren't always straight, faces tend to be boxy, but they work for this book. I also like the use of dark and light; the background is dark because of the night and you can always find the firefly because of his little light. The best part of this book, without question, is th ...more
Stacie Herbert
We all enjoyed this story, with its repetition the story is easy to follow and the lights at the end make the story worth sitting all the way through.
Pam
Jul 09, 2014 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book by Eric Carle...the lights at the end didn't flicker, but I bet this library books gets a LOT of use, so we understand!
Sheri
Feb 23, 2014 Sheri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Quinn Cole, Janet Smart, Rosie Taylor, Sandy Chapman
I liked this story as simple as it is about the Firefly looking for other fireflies to join and belong with. The people who see his light follow and watch the firefly. I really enjoyed it after I read that Eric Carle made this one of a foursome of books each with a message of love, belonging, work, and hope. All noble story lines.
Leah Puckett
This book is full of repetition. This would be a good science lesson book. You could teach children the different light sources. There are similarities in this book; the firefly was trying to find another firefly but found different light sources instead. Emotions are another concept from the book, all the firefly wanted to do was try to find other firefly's to fly with.

Learning Experience:
In this learning experience the kids would be put in groups of two. I would bring in flash lights and turn
Aletheia Ubben
Nice, but not fabulous. (Aletheia's review: "I got page-turning skillz!")
  • Bringing In the New Year
  • Mrs. Wishy-Washy's Farm
  • The Foolish Tortoise
  • Miss Spider's Tea Party
  • Planting a Rainbow
  • How Do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon?
  • Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See?
  • Big Red Barn
  • The Princess and the Pig
  • City Dog, Country Frog
Eric Carle (born June 25, 1929) is a children's book author and illustrator, most famous for his book The Very Hungry Caterpillar, which has been translated into over 30 languages. Since The Very Hungry Caterpillar was published in 1969, Eric Carle has illustrated more than seventy books, many best sellers, most of which he also wrote, and more than 71 million copies of his books have sold around ...more
More about Eric Carle...