Start by marking “Chattering” as Want to Read:
Chattering

Chattering

An extraordinary debut collection of stories, which reveal how the world looks when you're young, hip, wild, and deaf Louise Stern's stories are peopled with brave young girls, out to party, travel the world, go a little bit wild. The one thing that marks them out from their peers is that they have grown up deaf. They communicate with the outside world via a complicated mi ...more
Published June 1st 2010 by Granta UK

To ask other readers questions about Chattering, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chattering

Jenny (Reading Envy)
One viewpoint of the deaf community is that being deaf is speaking a language that is foreign to English. The very first story in this set mentions the claustrophobia of living in a small deaf community, and the character desires to move beyond it despite the challenges of communication.

The rest of the stories focus on this basic idea. I felt like I was seeing inside the deaf community for the first time, in a way I hadn't thought of their language before. I appreciated that part of the reading
Ayelet
Nov 09, 2011 Ayelet rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The overall feeling of the stories is one of gloom. No one seems particularly happy and people don't seem to be doing things they enjoy.
The most interesting story in the collection was The Wild Man. You actually wondered about him. Was he deaf? It didn't seem like he was-- so was he supposed to be a foil? An example of a different kind of outsider? A representation of how people view others who are deaf?
The deaf community has such a vibrant culture- but none of that vibrancy came across in the
Elspeth
Jul 02, 2017 Elspeth rated it it was ok
Short stories not normally my thing, a couple were really thought provoking, most struggled to grab me.
Ian Russell
Sep 16, 2011 Ian Russell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
Of late, our library has taken to indicating which books contain short stories by putting small stickers on the spines; I wonder if this is, in small part, asking the librarian how I could find the shorts amongst the majority of long stories, all of which are simply filed alphabetically by author? Little acts...

Chattering had such a sticker and the sticker with its red lettering did an excellent job of catching my attention. Discovering the author was fourth generation deaf and the stories were
Bettie☯
Nichole
Oct 04, 2011 Nichole rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like this book. Too many clichés involving young women making stupid decisions about life. It was an interesting perspective into the deaf community, hence the two stars, but I think it could have been done in a more positive manner. All the characters were pretty much unlikeable and the stories started and ended randomly. Boo!
Natalie Bowers
Beautifully written: graceful and flowing. A touching yet somewhat unsettling collection of short stories revolving around the themes of communication (or a lack thereof) and isolation. These stories don't spoon feed the reader - some don't have a sense of denouement, but that suits the characters and situations about which they were written.
Holly
Sep 19, 2011 Holly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pleased I read this book, but not many people I would recommend it too. It was quiet and somber and not a collection of short stories that could be easily shared, but I believe that was the authors intention.
Nicole
Jan 06, 2013 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The collection wasn't as good as I thought it might be. I liked the idea of stories about deaf characters in which their deafness wasn't the point of the story, but I thought that some of these fell short of 'story' - they were descriptions with little to no plot. Some of them were great, though.
Marie
Jun 10, 2011 Marie rated it it was ok
I don't know what I was expecting...but what I read was nothing like it. Jumpy without any real substance.
Anna
Oct 15, 2011 Anna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stories
Actually, more like 2.5. See my video review here.
Patricia Geller
Jul 23, 2012 Patricia Geller rated it liked it
Stories that give some insight on what it is like to live in a deaf world. They feel more like snapshots that tales that stand on their own.
Patrick Dinneen
Mar 04, 2015 Patrick Dinneen rated it it was ok
don't know if this should count as read; I gave it up after 2 short stories. I didn't find them very interesting or riveting.
Jenn
This is an excellent anthology of short stories subtly depicting the deaf experience. Edgy, honest, and rich with imagery.
Alison
Sep 12, 2010 Alison rated it liked it
Some interesting insights into deaf culture from someone very far removed from it, but a lot of dark and dirty stuff in here that makes for uncomfortable reading at times.
Lucy Furby
Nov 27, 2011 Lucy Furby rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
i didn't like this.....i read the whole thing hoping for it to improve but it just didn't leave me feeling contented....only confused.
Janet
Janet rated it did not like it
Feb 02, 2012
Brenna
Brenna rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2013
Rick
Rick rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2013
Bríd Conroy
Bríd Conroy rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2012
Soni
Soni rated it it was ok
Jan 20, 2012
Made
Made rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2015
Kat Brockway
Kat Brockway rated it did not like it
May 01, 2016
Annelies
Annelies rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2010
Jussi S
Jussi S rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2011
Daryl
Daryl rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2011
Carrie Etter
Carrie Etter rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2013
Maureen Yates
Maureen Yates rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2013
Raina
Raina rated it liked it
May 10, 2012
Rachel Mazique
Rachel Mazique rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Louise Stern (born 1978) is an American writer and artist, and works around ideas of language, communication and isolation.

Stern grew up in an exclusively deaf community and is fourth-generation deaf on her father's side, and third-generation deaf on her mother's side. She attended California School for the Deaf, Fremont.

Stern studied at Gallaudet University, where she was the only student studyin
More about Louise Stern...