Honourable Company: A History of the English East India Company

Honourable Company: A History of the English East India Company

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  18 reviews
The most infamous of the trading companies established by the great European powers, the English East India Company was the world's greatest trading power. For more than two centuries, they dominated world trade, raised armies and demolished nations. Now comes this major new book--a surprise hit in England. Photos and maps.
Published May 9th 2007 by MacMillan Publishing Company (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Honourable Company, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Honourable Company

Mansoor Azam
The book is about East India Company it's origins and the story of it's transaction into one of the most powerful business empires of it's times.
The initial history is lucidly explained in detail and is made interesting. The author has researched well and takes us step by step logically, historically explaining the rational behind every step and quoting historical documents n memoirs.
There were many things which I found new. Which are not part of our folklore and history here in the subcontine...more
Vik
I would disagree with some of the other reviewers on the matter of dryness, I have read much drier history books. I found it mostly a very good read thanks to the use of entertaining anecdotes but because it does try to encompass so much into a tiny space there are a lot of facts and background information introduced to cover a each chapter.

The author tries to mitigate this by breaking the chapters into different different time periods and regions. This can confuse as the times will necessarily...more
Lauren Albert
How did a profit-making company become in essence a huge government bureaucracy? That's the story that Keay tells, and tells engagingly with a sense of humor. The one flaw, for me, was his chronological jumps when he moved to a new place of trade or settlement. It could get confusing--he would start the chapter and then later talk about something that showed he was narrating something earlier in time than events he'd already covered in other chapters. Then I wasn't sure what time period he was d...more
bookworm
What starts off as an exciting early history of British trade in Asia quickly peters into an overdrawn blow-by-blow account of the history of the company's many struggles. Every small character is given pages of description while major characters like Clive, Hastings and Tipu are given short shrift. Finally, the author seems to have just run out of patience. What else could explain the opium wars of china being consigned to the epilogue. There is somewhere a wonderful book to be written and read...more
Jason Hough
Fascinating history of the British East India Company. Almost every page is a novel waiting to be written!
Ilinca
I guess I only have myself to blame for feeling disappointed at the end of it. While this was a thoroughly researched and well written book, it was not the book I thought it would be.
This is basically an account of what the East India Company did in order to gain a foothold in India and a few more places. What this account sadly lacks is the other side of the story: what the Company's trade meant to the Western world, and England in particular. Cotton, spices, tea, coffee, opium, there are all t...more
Chris
Very rich in detail but ultimately too dry for me.

I found myself skimming more and more the further I got into it, and I will note that the three-star rating is more about my enjoyment of the book rather than the book's quality, as I'm sure those who want a deep understanding of the East India Company will find this book invaluable.

Mason
A dense, well-researched history of the world's first multi-national corporation. Though often overly concerned with the details, Keay manages to paint an epic portrait of a company set on making its mark in the annals of history.
Manish
This book was great for the various tidbits of trivia and historical facts related to the evolution of the English East India Company. Covering a period of close to 200 years, tales related to the company seeking profits from the spice trade, the negotiations with the Mughal emperors, establishment of Madras, Bombay and Calcutta, the Carnatic wars against the French, the export of opium to China from Bengal,how China and not India was its most lucrative trading partner, the menace of Tipu and mu...more
Thaths
A decent history of the English East India Company. Learned many fascinating things from this book - that the monopoly of the company was tenuous at many times, that there were two companies at one point in time, etc.

Unfortunately, the pace picks up quite a bit - to the books detriment - in the latter half of the book. After Clive the book zooms through decades of important history and does not do it justice.
Thamrong
The sun never set on the British Empire, the Royal Navy sails the seven seas and ubiquitous Union Jack fluttered on all corners of the globe. This is the story of East India Company from its early formation in a basement guild of British capitalists bending on the monopoly to spices trading in the Far East from the Dutch and the creation of India as the Imperial Dominion.
Angel
This is a history of the East India Company. I found that the book's pace went from slow to fast depending on the topic being covered. It was interesting and a learning experience. I found particularly interesting the connection of the Company's trade to the Boston Tea Party. It is details like that which make me enjoy reading history books.
Natalie
Interesting, but not sure how much of it I absorbed.
Lynn
I've really enjoyed this book. It's a fascinating subject and Keay is fun to read. I would definitely recommend it.
Robin Jacob
Well written narrative with some pretty interesting anecdotes
Alan
East India Company
Tom O'Toole
Tom O'Toole marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Sushil
Sushil marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Elysia
Elysia is currently reading it
Sep 08, 2014
Rama
Rama added it
Sep 06, 2014
Carl-johan Enström
Carl-johan Enström marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Judie
Judie marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Diego Mendoza
Diego Mendoza marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Luis
Luis marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
  • Raj: The Making and Unmaking of British India
  • Empires of the Atlantic World: Britain and Spain in America 1492-1830
  • God's Fury, England's Fire: A New History of the English Civil Wars
  • The Mughal Throne: The Saga of India's Great Emperors
  • The Decline and Fall of the British Empire, 1781-1997
  • Indian Summer: The Secret History of the End of an Empire
  • A Brave Vessel: The True Tale of the Castaways Who Rescued Jamestown and Inspired Shakespeare's The Tempest
  • The Scramble for Africa: The White Man's Conquest of the Dark Continent from 1876 to 1912
  • White Mughals: Love and Betrayal in Eighteenth-Century India
  • Our First Revolution: The Remarkable British Upheaval That Inspired America's Founding Fathers
  • The War for All the Oceans: From Nelson at the Nile to Napoleon at Waterloo
  • Going Dutch: How England Plundered Holland's Glory
  • Enlightenment: Britain and the Creation of the Modern World (Allen Lane History)
  • Ghosts of Empire: Britain's Legacies in the Modern World
  • The Great Depression: America 1929-1941
  • Cairo: The City Victorious
  • The History of England
  • The White Horse King: The Life of Alfred the Great
John Keay (born 1941) is an English journalist and author specialising in writing popular histories about India and the Far East, often with a particular focus on their colonisation and exploration by Europeans.

John Keay is the author of about 20 books, all factual, mostly historical, and largely to do with Asia, exploration or Scotland. His first book stayed in print for thirty years; many others...more
More about John Keay...
India: A History China: A History The Great Arc: The Dramatic Tale of How India Was Mapped and Everest Was Named India Discovered The Spice Route: A History