Start by marking “Second Time Around” as Want to Read:
Second Time Around

Second Time Around

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  1,919 ratings  ·  195 reviews
Every summer, four college friends hold a mini-reunion. They laugh, reminisce, and commiserate about their soul-sucking jobs. Maybe they should have listened to everyone who warned them to study something “practical.”

Then an unexpected windfall arrives—one million dollars, to be exact—with the stipulation that they use it to jump-start their new careers. Almost overnight,
Published (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Second Time Around, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Second Time Around

Charlotte
Set it the beautiful Adirondacks, Second Time Around, is a book that proves it is not too late to follow your dreams. The ten years following their college graduation have not been the easiest or the happiest for any of the girls. They are determined to get it right this time. When one of the girls buys their home during the college years, the girls discover that you can go home again. The money that Arden left them is just what they needed to get their lives back on track. Second Time Around is ...more
Kimberly
Four former-roommates come into a lot of money when their fifth friend dies of lupus. The money arrives just as their respective lives are falling apart, so they all end up together in a small town in their old dorm, which one of the girls is transforming into a B&B with her share of the money.

There are the typical chick-lit cliches (and I don't think I'm spoiling anything by saying this): each girl finds her ideal man, each girl is a terrific success at what she chooses to do, and the theme
May 16, 2010 Jennifer rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jennifer by: jennsicurella@verizon.net
Shelves: chick-lit
Second Time Around is female bonding at its best. Five women, friends since college, get together for a mini-reunion once a year. One dies, leaving a million dollars to be split between the rest. The catch? They need to use the money to follow their dreams.

Each woman has a job she doesn't love. Each has a seemingly impossible dream. The money gives those dreams a chance. While changing their careers, the women are forces to deal with personal problems ranging from guilt over accepting their dead
Jessica
Jun 01, 2012 Jessica rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Chick-Lit lovers Looking for a Quick Read
Shelves: chick-lit
I am usually very easy to please when it comes to books and I never say I dislike one, but this book did not meet my expectations to what I thought it would be. There are several characters in this book and up to the very ending, I had a rather difficult time keeping track of each one. Although the characters all melded well with one another, their stories were weak and not fully formed. In order to completely understand each character there would have need to be more details about their lives.
T
Luci Vieira
This was certainly a well written, enjoyable read with likeable characters. The one problem I sometimes had was trying to keep all the girls (and their men) straight. I found the book starts off too slow and then rushes right through the interesting parts.

Readable but a little bit of a disappointment.
Kaley
I was lucky enough to win this (signed!) book from Liz and Lisa over at Chick Lit is Not Dead last September when I commented on their post "What's on Beth Kendrick's Bucket List?". I had read Kendrick's book Nearlyweds the summer of 2009 and absolutely loved it so I decided to try to win Second Time Around. And what do you know? I actually won it! Amazing.

Now that you know how I came across this novel, let me tell you that I loved, loved, loved it. I had a gala event that I was planning for wor
Christina (Confessions of a Book Addict)
I was drawn to the premise immediately. A group of English majors and best friends who graduated ten years ago from a small liberal arts college meet every 4th of July to catch up. They discuss everything and anything, but mostly how they wish they had different jobs and perhaps didn't major in English. Arden, their wealthy friend from the group, is dying of lupus, which saddens this group of girls tremendously. A few months after their 4th of July get together, she passes on and leaves them eac ...more
chippyvale
Every year, a group of former English majors meet up to update each other on their lives. The book starts off with the premise that majoring in English equals to saddling oneself with school debts after one has graduated and unabling to find a decent job. This resonates throughout the entire novel; somewhere along the story, a hardware shop assistant by the name of Everett echoed that sentiment too whose major was philosophy.

"Fine arts major?"
"Worse. Philosophy." He spread his arms out to enco
Ruth
Five English majors who were friends and roommates all through college have remained friends in the 10 years since they have graduated. Each of them has a job but not a career that they would like to stick with. Each of them has a dream job that they think they would love.

What would you do if you were suddenly given the advantage of being able to finally pursue whatever your heart desired. What if you were given the chance to start over without needing to worry about funds? Would you find that
Dee
Two-haiku review:

Four college girlfriends
Inherit a million bucks
Try to follow dreams

Four stories in one
Be careful what you wish for
Would have liked more depth
Jen
I received this book for free through First Reads. I loved it. From the moment I picked up the book and started to read, it was difficult to pull myself away from it. The story itself was very intriguing and captivating. I found myself wondering what was going to happen next and had to fight the urge to read ahead when I was in a rush. It was great to read a story about these 5 women who became like family and helped each other through major changes in their lives. Character development was so i ...more
Nancy
I was thrilled to receive this book through the Goodreads First Reads program. I wasn't disappointed! From the moment I began reading the book, I was drawn into the story by the characters. Beth Kendrick has a great ear for dialogue which along with the pace of the story kept me reading. It helped matters that I, too, was an English major so I felt like the characters were all people that I would be friends with. I also enjoyed the literary references that were made during the tale. This was the ...more
Anissa
I picked this up because it's been sitting on my bookshelf for too long. It's chick-lit & for what it is, it's fine. I think I have officially outgrown this type of chick-lit. It felt very much like a Lifetime movie & by that I mean, you have your standard main characters & you know that it's going to end pretty tidily. There's nothing wrong with that in & of itself but I am beyond finding that very satisfying at this point. All other things being equal, I'd have rather read a Ma ...more
Kimberly
As I have read two of Kendrick's books previous to this, and really enjoyed both, I was very excited to win this ARC from Goodreads.

This book is another great story by Kendrick. She is able to weave the stories of each woman wonderfully, going back and forth between each character. Each woman's story is interesting and different. I really enjoyed how I was not able to predict how the story ended, which is a problem I seem to be running into more and more.

In short I loved the characters, and lov
Aly
I recently read this book on vacation. I was excited to open this book as the story line drew me in, and it didn't disappoint... great chick lit and is something women of all ages would appreciate as it evaluates these girls friendships through the years, how they kept in touch, and how their lives were changes by one another --- and what happens when you have a chance to do things "all over again", so to speak. I would have loved to have gotten a little more from it in the end, hence the 4 star ...more
Peebee
Your basic chick lit involving a bunch of college girlfriends. The twist here is that one of them dies and leaves a million dollars to the other four. (I know, right....I made some great friends in college but I don't think any of them are going to leave me $250K, which is what each of them get.) So they get to live their dreams (sort of) by going back to their college town and starting businesses...a B&B (in the off-campus house where they all lived), event planning and bakery all synergist ...more
Kourtney
I really enjoyed this story and how all of the women's storylines were woven together. What made it better for me was that whenever I put the book down to focus on school, it was very easy for me to pick the book back up and dive right back into the storylines as though I never left. The stories began to drag a bit in the middle, but quickly picked back up again enough for me to not want to put it down just to see where all of the women ended up. All in all a great read!
Sharon
Just wanted to note that I won this on Goodreads Firstreads.

Ok. Let's see. I thought this was a very cute book. It was filled with happiness, sadness, love, hate, drama, scandal and, of course, sex. I only gave it 4 stars bc I didn't think there was anything superb about it, just chick-lit but it was still cute. The one problem I had was trying to keep all the girls (and their men) straight. I would definitely recommend. Can't wait for another Beth Kendrick book!!
Lauren Stahl
I couldn't wait to read this book and was extremely happy to win it on Goodreads!
Once again Kendrick did a great job of drawing the reader into the stories of her characters. The characters were strong women, who I could relate to and probably many others can relate to as well. From the first page of the book to last it was hard to put the book down and I found myself staying up late at night to try to finish. A great success by Kendrick, well done.
Angie
I won this book from the GoodReads First Reads. This is the first book I've read by Beth Kendrick. I absolutely loved this book. From the first chapter I was drawn into the lives of these women just like they were my own friends. Also, just when I was predicting what would happen next, Ms Kendrick added a new twist to the story. I will definetly be reading more of Beth Kendrick's novels and recommending this book to all my friends.
Mary
Won this on GR...can't wait to read it!

ETA - This was a fun book that celebrated women's friendships and new beginnings. It made me wish I was still in contact with all my college friends and that we were able to see each other regularly! There was some romance mixed in without too much of it, and it was a nice light read for a snow day! I definitely recommend it to fans of women's fiction!
Natalie
Received this from the First-reads program . This is my first novel from Kendrick and I loved it ! I was totally hooked from the first chapter till the end ! The characters were well-drawn and believeable . The plot was really interesting and thought out to a satisfying conclusion . If you enjoy women's fiction novels then consider reading this book !
Cheryl
I started off this book a little confused. There were 4/5 main characters and I had to keep flipping back to see which one was which. By the end of the novel I knew each one and what they were about but I wish they were a little better established in the beginning. Besides for that, this novel had everything you want in a feel good read.
Jennifer Maloney
Nope. I just couldn't do it.

This is the second book I've tried to read by this author and I abandoned it just as quickly as the first. I was hoping this one would be better than the last one I tried, but it unfortunately has the same type of one-dimensional, complaining, bimbo, man-crazy characters as the other book I tried. Not really characters I care to read about, I'm sorry.

It's sad too, because Beth Kendrick's books tend to have interesting enough premises (this one centers around winning
Ellen
Really enjoyed this book. Loved the main characters and how they were still great friends after college. Plus what would one do with 1 million dollars-what would you change in your life? Like books that are easy, enjoyable reading, but yet get you thinking!
Tenna
I really enjoyed this book and watching the characters develop and grow. I especialy liked all the history between the girls and couldn't wait to find out how the story turned out. I look forward to reading more of Kendrick's books.
Maria
I read this book and I thought that it was just OK. I got a little confused with the five women characters,and who they were dating etc. Otherwise, I did think that the plot was interesting.
Mary Beth
What a fun read! This is the story of four friends, ten years after college graduation, who moved back into the house that they shared during college.
The perfect "beach" novel!
Amy
I really enjoyed this book. I love reading books about a close pack of friends or two close sisters. I'm very much looking forward to reading more of Beth Kendrick's books
Suelibevg
Ever wonder what you would do if you had a second chance to live your dream? College friends get the chance and it's one of the best I've read in awhile.
Chick Lit Book Club: Chapters 26-End 10 51 Jun 01, 2012 11:08PM
  • Seven Year Switch
  • The Secret of Joy
  • Beach Trip
  • The Summer We Came to Life
  • Ten Beach Road (Ten Beach Road, #1)
  • Driftwood Summer
  • Kindred Spirits
  • Four of a Kind
  • Heat Wave
  • Good Enough to Eat
This is the part where I’m supposed to brag about all my illustrious accomplishments, but honestly, I’d rather talk about my dogs and brag about some of the things I haven’t done:

I’ve never been to prison*, court-ordered rehab*, or splashed across the cover of a salacious weekly gossip tabloid with my ladybits on display**.

I’m a Leo, a middle child, and a formidable Trivial Pursuit opponent. I re
More about Beth Kendrick...
Nearlyweds Exes and Ohs The Lucky Dog Matchmaking Service Fashionably Late Cure for the Common Breakup

“Blind date' is code for 'We met online and don't want to talk about it.” 6 likes
“...so we could all burn in our beds with no warning?' 'Oh, you’d have plenty of warning, ma’am. The smoke detectors all work.” 2 likes