Start by marking “The Boy and the Moon” as Want to Read:
The Boy and the Moon

The Boy and the Moon

It's midnight - a special time of night, when anything can happen. Wide awake long past his bedtime, a young boy slips outside his house to join some special friends in a nighttime jubilation. Complete with howls and whoops, they joyously celebrate the mystery and magic of the night, basking in the glow of the moonlight. They howled at the moon, they howled at life, and th ...more
Published September 9th 2010 by Sleeping Bear Press (first published September 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Boy and the Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boy and the Moon

Kathryn
May 14, 2012 Kathryn rated it liked it
Hum. I really enjoyed certain aspects of this story--the child's bravery in climbing the tree to save the stuck crescent moon, and his clever solution for how to free the moon. A few of the illustrations are just beautiful! But many of them were just not quite to my taste. They seemed a bit spooky instead of happily magical. Which is fine, just not quite what I expected. I can see where some people would absolutely love them, though. So, if you like the cover art and the idea of the story appeal ...more
Ann
The howling, the dancing and the merriment cease when the moon gets stuck in a tree. Of all the friends in the group, it's the little boy who possesses the imagination and ingenuity to solve the problem. What happens when a small boy reaches for the moon, fearlessly climbs the great heights to embrace it with compassion? The metaphors in this book are as delicious as the bright red apples picked from the tree and fed to the moon until it's "full." The cool blue tones and swirls are soothing. The ...more
Kate Hastings
Toddlers thru Grade 2. This book had the magic of Where the Wild things are but also reminded me of a Frank Asch title. The illustrations are beautiful and dark. The language is rich but simple. A perfect book to share with a theme about space (phases of the moon) or bedtime.
Nitza Campos
Apr 30, 2012 Nitza Campos rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
The illustrations in this book are whimsical,magical, and have a dream-like quality. A gorgeous picture book that will be enjoyed again and again.
Kim Stroberg
Jul 18, 2011 Kim Stroberg rated it it was amazing
Shelves: golden-sower
The illustrations are wonderful!
Emily
Jun 27, 2012 Emily rated it it was amazing
Beautiful images that accompanied this children's book about the night.
Melody Costa
Jan 25, 2011 Melody Costa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, storytime
Wonderful illustrations! Great for a "Moon" story time
Laryn
Apr 16, 2011 Laryn rated it it was amazing
Absolutely gorgeous story and illustrations. Must read.
Viviane Elbee
Jan 23, 2017 Viviane Elbee rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The illustrations in this book are very detailed.
Stephanie
This book has some of the most beautiful illustrations I have ever seen in a picture book.

It is midnight, and one little boy feels the pull to the outside, to the animals and nature, and to the moon. They dance, and they howl, until the moon gets caught in the branches of the tree! The little boy is the only one who can help, and with a clever idea, the moon is free to provide light for the nightly dance again.

While the story is very simple, the illustrations are so beautiful that the story take
Cassie
Nov 19, 2010 Cassie rated it really liked it
Shelves: bedtime, moon, preschool
This rather unassuming, gentle story took me by surprise.

It was midnight. An awake little boy ventures outdoors with an assortment of animals such as a rabbit, dog, and chicken. "They howled at the moon, they howled at life, and they howled with all things in the night." And they danced and danced until the moon got stuck in a tree. The boy and his companions decide to save the moon, in what ends up to be a most unusual way.

The story is offbeat - perhaps a little odd, some may not "get it" - bu
Dana Sullivan
Aug 25, 2013 Dana Sullivan rated it it was amazing
"The Boy and the Moon" by James Christopher Carroll is a wonderfully dreamy book about a boy who, along with his animal friends, "howled at the moon, they howled at life, and they howled with all things in the night." But when the moon gets stuck in a tree, it's up to the boy to save her. How can a little boy save the moon? Carroll's book reminds us that sometimes we can find the bravery and cleverness inside us to do the most amazing things. "The Boy and the Moon" is a quiet, lyrical book, just ...more
Anna Olswanger
Jan 06, 2013 Anna Olswanger rated it it was amazing
The art in The Boy and the Moon is sensuous, and yet has a coolness that creates night in all its wonder.

Author/illustrator Jim Carroll has created an enhanced ebook sample at:

It takes a minute to come up. When you see a dotted arrow appear in the lower right, it's time to turn the page.

I think the mystical quality of the ebook matches the mystical quality of the images in The Boy and the Moon.
Rebecca Ann
May 06, 2012 Rebecca Ann rated it really liked it
The story was short, lyrical, easy and great for bedtime. The illustrations had an eerie, sleepy beauty sort of like the Starry Night painting, but more ornate. A little boy has to rescue the moon when it gets trapped in an apple tree by feeding it apples until it's so full it falls out. I think some kids would love this and some would find it scary. I'm in the first group. Good for ages 4-8.

red flags: a little dark/eerie
Patricia Powell
Aug 14, 2013 Patricia Powell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
What a beautiful book written and illustrated by James Christopher Carroll. The child and the moon are beautiful and the other animals in their nighttime blue green hues are slightly macabre which lends a welcome eerie quality. As the story goes, "dogs cannot climb trees." Well yes, usually, altho I just want to say that my Tree Walker Hound can, but this has nothing to do with this lovely book.
Kathryn Watt
Jul 29, 2014 Kathryn Watt rated it it was amazing
I loved this book from first reading. It is magical and strange and the illustrations are just beautiful. They have a quiet, melancholic feel which may not be to everyone's taste but I love the art. This book never left my head and I recently decided to import it to Australia because it is so unique I couldn't live without it!
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Dec 13, 2010 Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy) rated it really liked it
The illustrations in this book are beautiful. I loved the details. The story was sweet. A small boy escapes outside to play at night with the animals. When the moon gets stuck in the tree, only the little boy can help him.
Tricia
Jan 18, 2011 Tricia rated it liked it
What a magical book...dreamy illustrations support the story of a little boy who slips into the world of night at midnight. This title has a classic feel to it and would be nicely paired with "Where the Wild Things Are" for an evening storytime or a repeat selection for a child's nighttime story.
Clacie
Aug 14, 2013 Clacie rated it really liked it
The illustrations were fantastic! The story was good. My kids are obsessed with stories about the moon. They really liked it and this one went in the "good pile", I have a feeling we'll read it again.
Clarissa
Sep 20, 2012 Clarissa rated it really liked it
A charming picture book with wonderful language: "they howled at the moon, they howled at life."

The story is slight, the moon become stuck in a tree, and is rescued by the boy, who feeds the moon apples until it becomes full and rolls out of the tree.
Rachel
Feb 10, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I wasn't that big a fan of the writing. It first gives off a fantastical feel, then switches to more toddler-like attention-grabbing phrasing, then ends more lyical again. I really enjoyed the illustrations though, and that's what made me notice it at the library.
Mike
Jan 14, 2011 Mike rated it really liked it
Wondeful illustrations and a cute story, but what I loved most about this book was one line, "They howedled at the moon, they howled at life, and they howled with all things in the night."
Nance
Oct 10, 2010 Nance rated it liked it
The illustrations are beautiful and the extent to which the moon and stuffed animals are personified, make the book come alive. The story line is a little off; but is well carried by illustrations.
Karen
Oct 13, 2016 Karen rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful book! This weirdly lovely story is exactly the sort of story that my son would tell himself -- and I mean that as a highest compliment.
Amanda
Aug 11, 2012 Amanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Beautifully illustrated. The story could have been better at points, but for me the illustrations make up for it in the end.
Emily
Oct 15, 2010 Emily rated it liked it
Creeptastic- something that I probably would have enjoyed as a child, much as I enjoyed the creepiness of Sendak's Outside Over There.
WriteTheVision
Nov 07, 2016 WriteTheVision rated it liked it
I actually wish this had a bit more 'story' to it, but the illustrations are lovely so that certainly made it more readable.
Paula
Paula rated it it was ok
Nov 15, 2010
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2013
Lupine
Lupine rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2010