Start by marking “A Claim of Her Own” as Want to Read:
A Claim of Her Own

A Claim of Her Own

It's 1876, and 20-year-old Mattie Flynn is determined to make a fresh start after fleeing from her sinister boss in the gambling house where she was employed as a singer. Mattie travels to Deadwood, South Dakota, in search of her younger brother, who went ahead of her in hopes of making a fortune in the gold mines. All Mattie wants is a safe and respectable life for the tw ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 389 pages
Published June 1st 2009 by Center Point (first published April 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Claim of Her Own, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Claim of Her Own

Victor Gentile
Jul 16, 2009 Victor Gentile rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I had the pleasure of interviewing Stephanie Grace Whitson on my radio show “Kingdom Highlights” regarding her new book, “A Claim Of Her Own” published by Bethany House. Maggie O’Keefe, the heroine, is on the run, having left Abilene in a hurry and has come to the town of Deadwood to join with her younger brother on his gold claim. A crisis occurs and Maggie has to tend the claim of her brother or lose everything.

This is a wonderful, fun book. I think this is one of the hardest stories to write
Cathy Daniel
Sep 24, 2016 Cathy Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SO GOOD! It was a little hard to get into at first and there were a few pages about mining I skipped (made me nervous about the book) but after that I was sucked in and loved it! I love how her books are about life and just everything and the romance doesn't dominate the book unrealistically.
Hannah
At first it took a bit to get into this (including rereading the first two chapters more than once...there's absolutely no indication in chapter one that the bullwhacker Swede is a woman. The writing is vague in many ways.

However, I got interested in the story anyway, and soon was completely engrossed. The writing may not be perfect (at least the grammar is good!) but the story will most definitely tug at your heart. It is deeply Christian, which I love finding in a Christian book...many books t
Lindsey
Apr 18, 2009 Lindsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished this - really enjoyed it! Especially the fact that it takes place in the wild West and Wild Bill Hickok and Calamity Jane make a showing (it sounds corny but it wasn't at all). I thought Mattie's struggles were very real-to-life and felt drawn into her world, and found myself wanting to know more about many of the minor characters as well. I do feel that Mattie's romance was kind of contrived sometimes (I didn't ever really know Aron or understand why Mattie would be attracted to ...more
Iola
Dec 29, 2015 Iola rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I always enjoy Stephanie Grace Whitson's historical novels, and this was no exception. Excellent.
Amanda
Apr 09, 2009 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In one of her best books yet, Stephanie Grace Whitson provides a powerful story of love and redemption, combing real historical figures (Wild Bill Hickock and Calamity Jane)with carefully drawn fictional characters. She hooked me from the first line and, as much as I wanted to see how the story ended, another part of me wanted it to go on forever. Don't miss this wonderfully written, deeply emotional story of the Old West.

Kate
Mar 29, 2014 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book so far is beating around the bush and awful lot.

Page 83: the main guy character (I think it could be him) is introduced.
Page 158: the idea of them getting together is brought up
Page 163: The idea is shot down, never happen, nada cada ....

???
Cricket Muse
Twenty year old Mattie O’Keefe is running away from her tyrannical saloon boss to the gold fields of South Dakota. It’s 1876 and the west is still full of promise and hard work for those willing to take on the challenge. Stephanie Grace Whitson presents a petite heroine with backbone, in her historical romance, A Claim of Her Own. Mattie, disappointed in her hopes to be reunited with her brother once she arrives in Deadwood, must start a new life. With the help of several new friends, Mattie lea ...more
Marlene
May 13, 2016 Marlene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Claim of Her Own by Stephanie Grace Whitson is a historical Christian fiction with a touch of romance. It's set in the gold mining town Deadwood, South Dakota, at around 1875.

Mattie O'Keefe is travelling to Deadwood with Swede, a very strong bullwhacker who regularly drives a team of 20 oxen to bring supplies to Deadwood. Mattie is on her way to join her brother Dillon at his mining camp. Not only does she miss her brother, but she is eager to escape the life that she has had working in a da
Tamara Tilley
A CLAIM OF HER OWN takes place in the mining town of Deadwood, South Dakota. Mattie O’Keefe is fleeing an abusive relationship with her boss while in search of her brother who tells her of the riches he has discovered in the gold fields. Once Mattie arrives in Deadwood, all of Mattie’s plans change. She soon finds herself artfully nicknamed Matt the Miner. As she determines to make a go of it on her brother’s claim, she finds herself drawn to the people of Deadwood, except for Aron Gallagher, a ...more
Joy Avery Melville
Stephanie Grace Wilson paints a very detailed word picture of setting and characters with her hero~Aron, her heroine~Mattie, and secondary characters Swede, Freddie, and Tom that truly make this novel a page-turner. The historic events within the novel are accurate to the era. This reader found herself nearly sweating or freezing with the characters, depending on the place. Ms Whitson writes with such detail, I felt I'd truly walked where her characters walked.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. ~ Matthew 6:19-21

The good Lord takes us where He finds us, honey. And good people do the same. You don't owe me or anyone else an explanation of where you've been. We see wher
Bree
Jun 01, 2014 Bree rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-ebooks
3.5 stars Mattie arrives in deadwood after running away from her abuse boss as a saloon singer and card dealer to find her brother dead. Not having any where else to go she decides to work on her brother claim to look for gold. The story talk about people pretending to be who they are not and how people will view people of faith for how it affects their whole life.
Nicole
Mar 28, 2012 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have now read 3 of Stephanie Grace Whitson's books and I have been pleasantly relieved by each one at how the author managed to bring about one or more sweet love stories WITHOUT all the unnecessary junk that goes into so many Christian Fiction novels these days!
I also enjoyed how you never heard all the details about every character, because one point in the story is that people have things in their past that they want to forget...so they just don't talk about it!
Mattie was a sweet character
Carman
Feb 11, 2016 Carman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was good. It took me a while to finish it. This is not one of my favorite authors, but she is still good.
Kimberly
Mar 05, 2014 Kimberly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It didn't grab me right away like some books do but when it did I was on the edge of seat wanting to find out what was going to happen next.
Sherri
Barbara
Feb 08, 2015 Barbara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A miraculous ending, sweet and feel-good. The strength of the testimony in the story lies in the reader's identification with the main character.
Haley
Jun 06, 2011 Haley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought that the story was good. The climax of the story was a little weak for me. I got through that part and thought, "That's it?" I did like the characters. The kindle version (which is what I read) was sort of confusing because there were no breaks. There were different chapters but within the chapter it was talking about one person and the next paragraph was about someone else in a different location.
Tausha
Feb 20, 2013 Tausha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5

I really got into this one in the beginning. It was well written and I loved the characters. Mattie was so strong and I truly admire her determination to move forward even when she felt her world was falling apart. I was disappointed in the ending...it felt rather rushed to me. It had an interesting twist of "karma" with the villian that still has me a little confused. Still an enjoyable read.
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
Mattie has escaped her dancing hall life and goes to join her brother who is gold mining in the west. When she arrives she finds out he has died and decides to take over his claim. She gains friends and a new faith in God as she deals with everyday life in the upstart town and the mining community. I enjoyed this book. A little preachy in parts, but good.
Susan
Sep 26, 2009 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THIS BOOK STARTED OUT SLOW, HOWEVER IT IS A VERY GOOD BOOK, INTERESTING
ABOUT YEARS AGO AND WHAT A WOMEN WOULD DO THEN. I BELIEVE THIS REALLY
HAPPENED BACK THEN FOR WOMEN.
Lucy Bilik
May 22, 2011 Lucy Bilik rated it it was amazing
Read this one few yrs back, it really captured me from first chapter. Show of great courage and strength of determined women.
Charity U
May 06, 2011 Charity U rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Technically it was a 4 3/4 star book. :) Very good, exciting plot, unique twists and turns, and a sweet romance. :)
Jun 11, 2009 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You can read my review here: http://quivermom.blogspot.com/2009/04...
Mindy
Apr 26, 2009 Mindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book by Stephanie Grace Whitson, but I think some of her other works are better.
Amelia Loken
Slow beginning, but two nice romances. I like the pacing once I got to the half-way point.
Michele
It was okay, I enjoyed it if you want an easy read but nothing to overly rave about.
Robin
Mar 20, 2011 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little unrealistic, but an entertaining story

Melissa
Sweet, silly romance! When you want a light fun read.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jan 04, 2015 03:01PM
  • When Love Blooms
  • Dawn Comes Early (The Brides of Last Chance Ranch, #1)
  • The Blessed (Shaker Series, #4)
  • Remembered (Fountain Creek Chronicles, #3)
  • Sisters of the Confederacy (A Secret Refuge, #2)
  • A Dream to Call My Own (The Brides of Gallatin County, #3)
  • An Unlikely Suitor
  • Beyond All Measure (Hickory Ridge, #1)
  • California Brides
  • His Steadfast Love
  • A Great Catch (Lake Manawa Summers, #2)
  • Hidden Affections (Hearts Along The River #3)
  • The Confidential Life of Eugenia Cooper (Women of the West Series #1)
  • When Love Comes My Way
A native of southern Illinois, Stephanie Grace Whitson has lived in Nebraska since 1975. She began what she calls "playing with imaginary friends" (writing fiction) when, as a result of teaching her four homeschooled children Nebraska history, she was personally encouraged and challenged by the lives of pioneer women in the West. Since her first book, Walks the Fire, was published in 1995, Stephan ...more
More about Stephanie Grace Whitson...