Start by marking “Crack Capitalism” as Want to Read:
Crack Capitalism

Crack Capitalism

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  65 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Crack Capitalism, argues that radical change can only come about through the creation, expansion and multiplication of 'cracks' in the capitalist system. These cracks are ordinary moments or spaces of rebellion in which we assert a different type of doing.

John Holloway's previous book, Change the World Without Taking Power, sparked a world-wide debate among activists and s
Published July 7th 2010 by Pluto Press (first published June 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Crack Capitalism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crack Capitalism

Jordan
Dec 03, 2012 Jordan rated it it was ok
Shelves: politics
I had assumed that this book would just be a list of examples of the usual suspects doing progressive-ish things like recycling and growing veggies and sternly wagging their fingers at rapists. It wasn't.

Crack Capitalism revolves around the antagonism (a "living antagonism," as Holloway rather testily insists) between the two aspects of labour: abstract and concrete. As part of his argument, the author insists on some new terminology to replace the (supposedly) confusing language used by Marx. T
Spicy T AKA Mr. Tea
I can't say enough great things about this book. First off, after reading his "change the world without taking power," crack capitalism seemed effortless. Unlike the first book, he really tries to articulate and breakdown his argument. He accomplishes this by writing shorter chapters (2-4 pages, with maybe 3 exceptions) and reducing the amount of pages he uses to elucidate his arguments. This is unlike "Change the World" because in the middle of that book, it seemed like his arguments got really ...more
Phakin
Feb 06, 2014 Phakin rated it really liked it
รีวิวครึงเลมแรกไวประมาณหนึง อานจบครึงเลมหลัง ยังถึงไมออกเลยวาจะรีวิวอะไรเพิม ประเดนมันมีหนอยเดียวแหละ ทีเหลือเปนรายละเอียดมหึมา
Lizanne
Jan 22, 2012 Lizanne rated it it was amazing
One of the most influential authors I have ever read... This is a tough read, but well worth the struggle.
Loren
Goodreads Crack Capitalism
This is so very disappointing. I had high hopes for this thesis. I wanted something that built on Galbraith's polemic Affluent Society or even challenged Friedman's didactic Capitalism & Freedom with more than bold caps and exclamation points. Or it could of taken a more journalistic feel similar to Paul Hawken's deliberating Blessed Unrest or Naomi Klein's shocking Shock Doctrine.
It lacked prose, fluidity, a strong underlying narrative and a convincing argument. I
M. Gilliland
Apr 30, 2013 M. Gilliland rated it it was ok
Shelves:
Well so far I've only read some extracts on Ebrary, I gave it 4 stars initially but would reduce that to 2, the later chapters seemed to waffle and his idea of updating Marxism seems to be inventing lots of new jargon.

My preliminary view is that the value of the book is that it points to revolution without taking power, as in his more famous 1st book. No clues however as to how this could happen, but it's true most of our activity is outside capitalism and in many societies it has never worked
Inna
Jun 25, 2013 Inna rated it really liked it
Pretty good book on what to do about capitalism. The author points out that capitalism is upheld by human action and by human perceptions. As such, it has to have weaknesses, places where it might and does crack. Why? Because capitalism imposes on human being a logic that cannot possibly work - logic according to which all human actions should serve a total system of the market.
I liked the analysis, though I would expect a bit more on how the dialectics of change might work. Though the author s
Dusan
Mar 05, 2014 Dusan rated it it was amazing
I am rereading parts of John Holloway's Crack Capitalism in the light of protests in my home country, Bosnia. Very strong call for non-partisan stepping out of the unnatural, unjust and not functioning capitalist system. It is all cracking.
"Critical/crisis theory is the theory of our own misfitting. Humanity (in all its senses) jars increasingly with capitalism. It becomes harder and harder to fit as capital demands more and more. Ever more people simply do not fit in to the system, or, if we do
Agent
May 04, 2013 Agent rated it it was ok
I'm going to make this brief.
40 pages in i lost all interest in crack capitalism it way too much repetitive technical terms and with the size of it crack capitalism was tiresome and with the layout i was lost.
would not recommend to anyone
Rui Coelho
Jul 05, 2015 Rui Coelho rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hall-of-fame
Great book! Even better than his "Changing the World Without Taking Power", "Crack Capitalism" puts out the basis for a new (and very Foucauldian) understanding of everyday politics under capitalist social relations.
Scott Neigh
Reviewed here.
Andrew
May 10, 2012 Andrew rated it really liked it
Marx is being made useful again...
Matthew Newton
Matthew Newton marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Jj
Jj marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Joel John
Joel John marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Marshall Scott
Marshall Scott is currently reading it
Jun 06, 2016
Sergio Calderon-Harker
Sergio Calderon-Harker is currently reading it
May 26, 2016
Szczyto
Szczyto marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Luís Blue Yorkie
Luís Blue Yorkie marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Sofia
Sofia marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Byron
Byron marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Trixie Hölsgens
Trixie Hölsgens rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2016
Sabrina
Sabrina marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Ashton Tassin
Ashton Tassin marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Kristopher
Kristopher is currently reading it
Mar 16, 2016
Jessica Pérez
Jessica Pérez marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Joey Dhaumya
Joey Dhaumya marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
J
J rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2016
Jenni
Jenni marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
Elia inglis
Elia inglis marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Soul at Work: From Alienation to Autonomy
  • Post-Scarcity Anarchism
  • Workers' Councils
  • Direct Action: Memoirs of an Urban Guerrilla
  • The Accumulation of Freedom: Writings on Anarchist Economics
  • Buda's Wagon: A Brief History of the Car Bomb
  • The Problem with Work: Feminism, Marxism, Antiwork Politics, and Postwork Imaginaries
  • Anarchism and Its Aspirations
  • Our Enemies in Blue: Police and Power in America
  • The Value of Radical Theory: An Anarchist Introduction to Marx’s Critique of Political Economy
  • Possibilities: Essays on Hierarchy, Rebellion, and Desire
  • Principles of Islamic Jurisprudence
  • The Classroom and the Cell: Conversations on Black Life in America
  • Rhythmanalysis: Space, Time and Everyday Life (Athlone Contemporary European Thinkers) (Paperback)
  • Anarchy in Action
  • Tempo: Timing, Tactics and Strategy in Narrative-Driven Decision-Making
  • The Dialectical Imagination: A History of the Frankfurt School & the Institute of Social Research, 1923-50
  • Where Art Belongs
Sociologist, philosopher and lawyer by profession. Holloway is closely associated with Open or Autonomous Marxism and anti-globalisation movements such as the Zapatistas.

His 2002 book, Change the World Without Taking Power, has been the subject of much debate and brought him to a wider audience.
More about John Holloway...

“Comradeship, dignity, amorosity, love, solidarity, fraternity, friendship, ethics: all these names stand in contrast to the commodified, monetised relations of capitalism, all describe relations developed in struggles against capitalism and which can be seen as anticipating or creating a society beyond capitalism.” 4 likes
“The real determinant of society is hidden behind the state and the economy: it is the way in which our everyday activity is organised, the subordination of our doing to the dictates of abstract labour, that is, of value, money, profit. It is this abstraction which is, after all, the very existence of the state. If we want to change society, we must stop the subordination of our activity to abstract labour, do something else.” 1 likes