Start by marking “Fletch's Fortune (Fletch, #3)” as Want to Read:
Fletch's Fortune (Fletch, #3)

Fletch's Fortune (Fletch #3)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  859 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Fletch’s Fortune

He hadn’t been a practicing journalist for years, although people remembered him and he still has a few contacts. And he’s pretty sure he hasn’t paid his dues to the American Journalism Alliance anytime recently. But somebody has.

Fletch’s Fortune

Enjoying himself on the French Riviera, developing a killer tan, and sleeping with the neighbor’s wife, Fletch is
Published (first published April 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Fletch's Fortune, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fletch's Fortune

Jul 12, 2014 Mark rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody in search of some smartarsed detective story
Recommended to Mark by: I fell in love with the design of Gollanz Yellowjackets, and then found I very much liked Mr McDonalds writing
"C.I.A., Mister Fletcher."
"Um. Would you mind spelling that?"

And so starts the story of thirdly written Fletch novel in which I.M. Fletch is once again let loose on a world that does deserve his kind of craziness, but in a wholesome way I mean!

When the story starts Fletch returns from a beach in Italy were he did enjoy some morning exersizes with the wife of his neighbor, which is the cost of his neighbor sleeping in late.
Fletch finds himself blackmailed into doing a job for the US secret organ
Cathy DuPont
Aug 18, 2013 Cathy DuPont rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who are trying to repair their computer and are frustrated.
All of us at one time or another have gone through the stress of a broken modem, router, computer tower, laptop and/or a million other things that can occur to prevent access to the internet.

Internet access has become in some respects, imperative for many of us. So when lightening hit and destroyed my modem/router, and I spent five hours just on the phone trying to resolve the problem, I needed a book that would lighten my mood and lower my blood pressure and stress level.

For me, something non
Call it 3.5 stars - the time with Fletch gets the round up in ranking.

Fletch's Fortune finds our friend accosted by the CIA and forced to attend a convention of his old journalist peers. (view spoiler) McDonald makes all the conversations sing, but because things are just a little Fletchier when Fletch
Fletch, far removed from the journalistic lifestyle, is confronted at his beach home in Italy by CIA agents directing him to spy on his former colleagues at a journalism convention or face being turned in to the IRS for years of tax evasion. Of course, Fletch says yes and shows up at the convention in Virginia just as the head of the organization turns up murdered. Now Fletch finds himself investigating the murder — what else would you expect from one of the world's finest investigative reporter ...more
Not a bad Fletch novel, better characters than some. Things get tied up perhaps too neatly at the end, but I guess I shouldn't be that surprised.

In retrospect, the title seems to make very little sense.
Fantastic as ever. So witty - makes it pure pleasure to read.
A great book. Classic, funny, and witty. Fletch is great. I have read this before (in fact the whole series at least once) and enjoy re-reading them every once in a while. The writing is clever and keeps you involved. I tried to read them in order of events and not the order they are written, but I have forgotten the correct order. Oh well. Still fun to read.
Another toss-up between three stars and four stars; it winds up with three because I don't like it as much as "Fletch" or "Fletch's Moxie", although I'm not sure why. All I know is that it was easier to put down this book than those other two; I think it may be because the other characters weren't quite as interesting.
Feb 25, 2008 Paul rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Paul by: Ryan Varrelman
This was the first Fletch book I read and found it really funny and kept picturing Chevy Chase through the whole book. The books follow in a chronological order contrary to how the author wrote the books. So I will eventually read them in order.
Dustin Voliva
Snappy dialogue, murder, sex, and Fletch could pretty much describe every Gregory McDonald novel I've read to date. McDonald doesn't waste time on providing much else and for a quick, entertaining read, you don't need anything more.
Tim Medley
Finished this book this morning, I really enjoyed it. I like that it builds on previous charaters, stories and expands on the quirky, witty sometimes reporter that is Flecth. Looking forward to the next book.
The plot, subplots, dialogue and the scenes are peppered with Gregory Mcdonald's humor. Like all of his books, they are well written and tend to bring a smile to your face.
Ah, Fletch, prince of snarkiness. Is anyone better than Greg McDonald at the comedy-mystery?
I'd never read this one of the Fletch series as it turned out. Dated but still good.
A LOT of fun and surprisingly complex. 3.5 at least.
John Bobo
Strong finish. Always fun to read Fletxh.
Michael is currently reading it
Nov 25, 2015
Michelle marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
JJ is currently reading it
Nov 01, 2015
Dave marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
  • Noir
  • Two Down (Crossword Mysteries, #2)
  • Motherhood is Murder (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #2)
  • Getting Old Is Tres Dangereux (Gladdy Gold, #6)
  • Cruel Zinc Melodies (Garrett P.I., #12)
  • Sherlock Holmes and the King's Evil: And Other New Tales Featuring the World's Greatest Detective (Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • Self's Deception (Gerhard Self #2)
  • Death Times Three (Nero Wolfe, #47)
  • Keeping Christmas
  • Devil's Garden
  • Midnight Come Again (Kate Shugak, #10)
  • The Bone Fire (Gil Montoya Mystery #2)
  • Empty Mile
  • Stop This Man! (Hard Case Crime #58)
  • The Weight
  • A Touch of Death (Hard Case Crime #17)
  • Spade & Archer: The Prequel to Dashiell Hammett's The Maltese Falcon
  • The Vaults

Fletch (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Fletch (Fletch, #1)
  • Confess, Fletch (Fletch, #2)
  • Fletch and the Widow Bradley
  • Fletch's Moxie (Fletch, #5)
  • Fletch and the Man Who (Fletch, #6)
  • Carioca Fletch (Fletch, #7)
  • Fletch Won (Fletch, #8)
  • Fletch, Too (Fletch, #9)
  • Son of Fletch (Fletch, #10 - Son Of Fletch, #1)
  • Fletch Reflected (Fletch, #11- Son Of Fletch, #2)