Start by marking “Kiss Off: Poems to Set You Free” as Want to Read:
Kiss Off: Poems to Set You Free

Kiss Off: Poems to Set You Free

The editors of "The Hell with Love" are back, applying their irreverent view of life and love to help melt the hardest heart. For anyone who's been let down by life and love, these poems reveal that the most important person one can fall in love with is oneself.
Published December 21st 2008 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Kiss Off, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kiss Off

Laura Howard
Jul 19, 2016 Laura Howard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bibliotherapy. I've been slowly making my way through this book since 2013 and it felt like the right time to finish it.
Fancee
Dec 28, 2008 Fancee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While cleaning the poetry section of the store on Christmas Eve, I found this little book with two of those candy hearts with the messages on them on both the cover and down the spine. I felt pretty certain that it was yet another collection of love poems until I noted that the two hearts on the cover said “KISS OFF” smiling at the irony of it all, it thumbed through the pages. Turns out, this book, “Kiss off: Poems to Set You Free” is a montage of poems and short essays that that you through th ...more
LemontreeLime
Sep 03, 2012 LemontreeLime rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Nice collection. A plus for me is how the poem authors names are in a different colored ink that's slightly harder to make out, so as i read the poem I don't know immediately who wrote it until AFTER i've finished reading it... which is just enough to put the 'ENGLISH MAJOR' lurking in the back of brain to sleep before it starts spouting dogma. For example, reading the poem 'the Blessing' without knowing who wrote it made the description of meeting ponies in a pasture magical but then finding ou ...more
Liz
May 07, 2009 Liz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic collection of poetry from various poets throughout the ages. The poems are divided into different sections: hurting, hiding, reeling, dealing, healing, and believing.

These poems can help you from the time when things fall apart to when you’re ready to deal with the world again. Some are elegant, like William Butler Yeats’ The Second Coming (“things fall apart, the centre cannot hold”). Still, some are a bit more to the point, such as Deborah Garrison’s Fight Song (“Sometimes
Lindsay
Feb 12, 2008 Lindsay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Many of these poems aren't that great. I wasn't really expecting them to be. But this anthology includes a lot of amazing poets like national Poet Laureate (2001-2003), Billy Collins and Nobel Prize Winner, Derek Walcott (1992). It's kind of a mixed bag, but I like it. I didn't think I'd find anything good in a poetry anthology with conversation hearts on the cover, so I was pleasantly surprised.
Gina
Jan 06, 2009 Gina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't normally read much poetry, so I can't really comment on the quality of the poems, but there were a few that didn't seem to me to fit in the section they were put in. I really like the concept of this book, the way the editors sorted the poems to help put them in an overall context, and I enjoyed most of their introductory commentary at the beginning of each section. I also found a couple of poems that I really liked and one I loved, so that's worth reading the whole book for to me.
Kerrikoala
Feb 25, 2014 Kerrikoala rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The poems were okay, but what I really liked were the introductions to each section. The ladies who put this compilation together seemed to know just what I was thinking and feeling when I was reading it, which was freaky and comforting at the same time.

5 stars for the introductions.
3 stars for the poems.
Jessica
Aug 02, 2012 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A cute little poetry anthology for when you're down and then rise up. Not sure of intended audience-- seems at times literary, and the poets selected are good 'uns, then it quips into Britney Spears cutesy mode. The explanation/ self help intros are pretty accurate, if not a little simplified.
Jana
Jun 09, 2010 Jana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a small book of poems that at first didn't strike me as much but as I read them many of them started speaking to me.

They are poems for women about female experiences but they speak as well to anyone.
Good read.
Brianna
Dec 19, 2012 Brianna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I definitely enjoyed this book. Just like "Drive Me Crazy " it has those wonderful section dividers that talk about the poems in the section and why they fit that stage. Lots of fun to read, and it introduced me to some poets I wouldn't have picked up on my own.
Jessica Scott
Jun 30, 2014 Jessica Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this. There are some really great poems in this collection. There are some funny ones and beautiful ones. There's definitely something for everyone in this collection.
Jordan
Feb 09, 2014 Jordan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked the poems but the introductions to each chapter were too long.
Marisa
Apr 19, 2008 Marisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-my-library
Wonderful! So many gems in this second compilation. Can't wait to buy their third book...
Helen M.
Sep 03, 2016 Helen M. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Crystal
Crystal rated it it was ok
May 13, 2009
Jenny
Jenny rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2012
Aaron Blair
Aaron Blair rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2011
Gretchen
Gretchen rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2008
A.J.
A.J. rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2010
Yankeescats80s
Yankeescats80s rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2009
Barbara Klein
Barbara Klein rated it really liked it
May 29, 2009
Jessica Alexander
Jessica Alexander rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2013
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2015
Becca
Becca rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2008
Charlyn
Charlyn rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2013
Joolissa
Joolissa rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2013
Kelly Bridges
Kelly Bridges rated it it was ok
Apr 28, 2009
JennyJune
JennyJune rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2015
Katrien
Katrien rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2010
Frog Prince
Frog Prince rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Cross-Country Cat
  • A Year Like None Other (Like None Other, #1)
  • Owls and Other Fantasies: Poems and Essays
  • Warning: Contains Language, Stories and Poems from Angels & Visitations
  • No Evil Star: Selected Essays, Interviews, and Prose
  • Reading Lips: A Memoir of Kisses
  • Middle Earth: Poems
  • Not Much Fun: The Lost Poems of Dorothy Parker
  • Elizabeth: Virgin Queen?
  • Ten Poems to Open Your Heart