Start by marking “Kiss Off: Poems to Set You Free” as Want to Read:
Kiss Off: Poems to Set You Free

Kiss Off: Poems to Set You Free

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The editors of "The Hell with Love" are back, applying their irreverent view of life and love to help melt the hardest heart. For anyone who's been let down by life and love, these poems reveal that the most important person one can fall in love with is oneself.
Published December 21st 2008 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Kiss Off, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kiss Off

Fancee
While cleaning the poetry section of the store on Christmas Eve, I found this little book with two of those candy hearts with the messages on them on both the cover and down the spine. I felt pretty certain that it was yet another collection of love poems until I noted that the two hearts on the cover said “KISS OFF” smiling at the irony of it all, it thumbed through the pages. Turns out, this book, “Kiss off: Poems to Set You Free” is a montage of poems and short essays that that you through th ...more
Gloriavirtutisumbra
Nice collection. A plus for me is how the poem authors names are in a different colored ink that's slightly harder to make out, so as i read the poem I don't know immediately who wrote it until AFTER i've finished reading it... which is just enough to put the 'ENGLISH MAJOR' lurking in the back of brain to sleep before it starts spouting dogma. For example, reading the poem 'the Blessing' without knowing who wrote it made the description of meeting ponies in a pasture magical but then finding ou ...more
Jessica Scott
Loved this. There are some really great poems in this collection. There are some funny ones and beautiful ones. There's definitely something for everyone in this collection.
Jordan
I liked the poems but the introductions to each chapter were too long.
Liz
This is a fantastic collection of poetry from various poets throughout the ages. The poems are divided into different sections: hurting, hiding, reeling, dealing, healing, and believing.

These poems can help you from the time when things fall apart to when you’re ready to deal with the world again. Some are elegant, like William Butler Yeats’ The Second Coming (“things fall apart, the centre cannot hold”). Still, some are a bit more to the point, such as Deborah Garrison’s Fight Song (“Sometimes
Gina
I don't normally read much poetry, so I can't really comment on the quality of the poems, but there were a few that didn't seem to me to fit in the section they were put in. I really like the concept of this book, the way the editors sorted the poems to help put them in an overall context, and I enjoyed most of their introductory commentary at the beginning of each section. I also found a couple of poems that I really liked and one I loved, so that's worth reading the whole book for to me.
Lindsay
Many of these poems aren't that great. I wasn't really expecting them to be. But this anthology includes a lot of amazing poets like national Poet Laureate (2001-2003), Billy Collins and Nobel Prize Winner, Derek Walcott (1992). It's kind of a mixed bag, but I like it. I didn't think I'd find anything good in a poetry anthology with conversation hearts on the cover, so I was pleasantly surprised.
Kerrikoala
The poems were okay, but what I really liked were the introductions to each section. The ladies who put this compilation together seemed to know just what I was thinking and feeling when I was reading it, which was freaky and comforting at the same time.

5 stars for the introductions.
3 stars for the poems.
Jessica
A cute little poetry anthology for when you're down and then rise up. Not sure of intended audience-- seems at times literary, and the poets selected are good 'uns, then it quips into Britney Spears cutesy mode. The explanation/ self help intros are pretty accurate, if not a little simplified.
Brianna
I definitely enjoyed this book. Just like "Drive Me Crazy " it has those wonderful section dividers that talk about the poems in the section and why they fit that stage. Lots of fun to read, and it introduced me to some poets I wouldn't have picked up on my own.
Jana
This is a small book of poems that at first didn't strike me as much but as I read them many of them started speaking to me.

They are poems for women about female experiences but they speak as well to anyone.
Good read.
Marisa
Wonderful! So many gems in this second compilation. Can't wait to buy their third book...
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Julia Bennett
Julia Bennett marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Malaysia Braddy
Malaysia Braddy marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Hell with Love: Poems to Mend a Broken Heart You Drive Me Crazy: Love Poems for Real Life