Blood Lines: Long and Short Stories

Blood Lines: Long and Short Stories

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  190 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Hailed by Patricia Cornwell as "unequivocally the most brilliant mystery writer of our time, " Ruth Rendell now delivers an all-new collection of long- and short-story mysteries. As always with Rendell, these stories of mystery and wrongdoing shine their light into the dark places of the human psyche.
Published June 3rd 1996 by Crown (first published August 17th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Blood Lines, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Lines

Mary
I so enjoy the Wexford mysteries, so I wasn't sure how I would like a short story collection by Rendell. It was great! For me, the stories have a 'Twilight Zone' or Hitchcock feel; the final story ("The Strawberry Tree") is one I will never forget. In that story we meet a character who is definitely a little off-center, but the ending is deliciously warped. Many of the stories reminded me a bit of the 2 books I have read by the same author writing as Barbara Vine...psychologically creepy.
Karen
Apr 05, 2009 Karen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mystery/crime novel lovers
Shelves: bookgroup
This was, I felt, an uneven collection. The first story was great. As was the last. And a couple of the middle ones. But, over all, it felt as if Rendell had cleaned off her desk and bound what she found there into a book.

Having said all this, I will admit that I've never read any Rendell before, although I have seen adaptations of her work on PBS. I feel like I need to get one of her full novels.
Jonna Doughty
It's been a long while since I have enjoyed a mystery author's writing as much as I enjoyed these stories by Ruth Rendell. Her plots are twisty and intriguing, and her delightful descriptions of settings gave me an eyeful with each page. I will definitely be reading more of her work!
Radhika
I found this collection of stories rather unexceptional. However, the last story (the long story) made up for the mediocrity by providing the perfect touch of eeriness.
Katheryn Thompson
The collection itself didn't seem to flow very well, but that's probably more down to personal taste as I often find short stories a bit abrupt & difficult to engage with. Overall, an enjoyable read though & some stories in it that I'll definitely be re-reading in the future.
Miss Marissa
I really enjoyed The Strawberry Tree story in the book. Other than that I found it an okay read.
Kavita
This is a collection of short stories, more in the style of Alfred Hitchcock than real mysteries. I enjoyed most of them a lot, but the last story dragged on quite a bit and was too long to really enjoy. Some of the shorter stories were really good with unforeseen twists.
Kasia James
Blood Lines is a collection of short stories, and one longer story, from a veteran of the crime genre, Ruth Rendell. It's a great book to read before bed, or while commuting, as many of the stories are short enough to finish in one sitting, and are pleasngly rounded. There's a good variety of stories here, each with it's own twisted tail.
Leanna
By far, my favourite story is Shreds & Slivers. We read this in grade 11 or 12 english class because my teacher was awesome, and I became obsessed with Ruth Rendell. Creepiest idea ever, and would almost put me off eating mushrooms, although I kind of take a gamble on the loose ones all the time anyway.
Jessica
The last story--a novella, really--is excellent and worth the price of admission. Wonderfully eerie and the landscape of southern Spain (Majorca, pre-tourism) is beautifully evoked. Wish the others had been as good.
Andrea
I am a huge fan of Ruth Rendell's work, but this collection felt uneven to me. There were some delightfully wicked stories here, however.
Amanda
It took me awhile to get into it but overall I liked it a lot. Although some of the stories were very strange.
Daniela
Superbly written! The tinge of macabre makes it even more enthralling!
Ange
Wonderful little stories a very good long one. Surprising endings
Mary Ann
one of the most interesting writers of this type.
Raqeeba
Enjoyable light reading.
Janet Stack
short mystery stories
Tyriona712
Tyriona712 marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
RachyCareBear
RachyCareBear marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Terry
Terry marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
A.K.A. Barbara Vine

Ruth Barbara Rendell, Baroness Rendell of Babergh, CBE, who also writes under the pseudonym Barbara Vine, is an acclaimed English crime writer, known for her many psychological thrillers and murder mysteries.
More about Ruth Rendell...
From Doon With Death (Inspector Wexford, #1) A Judgement in Stone The Babes in the Wood (Inspector Wexford, #19) A Sight for Sore Eyes Kissing the Gunner's Daughter (Inspector Wexford, #15)