Start by marking “Idyll Banter: Weekly Excursions to a Very Small Town” as Want to Read:
Idyll Banter: Weekly Excursions to a Very Small Town

Idyll Banter: Weekly Excursions to a Very Small Town

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  474 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
In March 1986, while living in Brooklyn, Chris Bohjalian and his wife were cab-napped on a Saturday night and taken on a forty-five-minute joy ride in which the driver ignored all traffic lights and stop signs. Around midnight he deposited the young couple on a near-deserted street, where police officers were about to storm a crack house. Bohjalian and his wife were told t ...more
Published December 16th 2003 by Harmony Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Idyll Banter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Idyll Banter

Bridget
This is not an especially quick read - mostly due to the fact that it's a compilation of articles that Bohjalian has written in a Vermont newspaper over the years. So while there is some story line, it's not as though you can't put the book down because you need to know what will happen to the main character.

I would describe this book as quiet and gentle. It helped to provide insight into an author that I've read quite a bit of over the past year and a half. While he says his books are all fict
Robert Isenberg
I am a native Vermonter and am compiling a very similar book about Costa Rica, and I wanted to see how Bohjalian described my home state. Bohjalian has earned a mythic reputation in Vermont and around the world, and although I was less interested in his many novels, this collection has intrigued me for years.

Unlike Bohjalian, I was born and raised in the Green Mountain State and come from a very different demographic. Instead of the New York "flatlander" who moves to Vermont to begin a new life,
Anne
Jul 12, 2014 Anne rated it really liked it
Shelves: discussiongroup
This collection of newspaper columns written by Chris Bohjalian is a wonderfully enjoyable read. Bohjalian's only direction from his editor was to "write something that would make Vermonters smile." I'm not from Vermont, but these short essays made me smile and sometimes get a tear. Treat yourself to a few of these one or two page tales before bed or work. The author's descriptions of life in New England and his quirky but loving neighbors will brighten your day or help you have sweeter dreams. ...more
Dianneb
Aug 11, 2013 Dianneb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a series of columns that the author wrote for the Burlington Free Press and The Boston Globe. About his transplanted life from New York City to Lincoln, Vermont. I thoroughly enjoyed it & think anyone from a small town could relate to a lot of these columns. My favorite column is "Why the Green Mountains Turn Red"!
Christine Boris
Feb 07, 2016 Christine Boris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a bunch of novels by Chris Bohjalian on my shelves, but haven't read one. The reason I picked up Idyll Banter is it fit my plan to spend most of the year reading essays and journalism. I expected the book to contain either David Sedaris snark or Dave Barry goofiness, but it was more of the observations of a New York city mouse who becomes a Lincoln, Vermont country mouse. Funny, often moving and just enjoyable at every turn. A perfect bedside read. (I say this as I am reading a book at be ...more
James
Feb 09, 2010 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enchanting glimpse into the magic of small-town life:)
Christine Fay
Mar 28, 2015 Christine Fay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
So one day Chris Bohjalian and his wife are held up at gunpoint in NYC and decide to move to the country. Hence, their bucolic residence in Lincoln, Vermont is the subject of his short stories and columns about country living. His columns are succinct and focus on the small pleasures which are often overlooked. Often rife with literary allusions, these columns are mostly entertaining, particularly when he describes his feeble attempts at home repair. Perhaps he should stick with the typewriter.
Stewart
Chris Bohjalian and his wife moved from New York City to Lincoln, Vermont, population 975, in 1986, and he wrote a weekly column for the Burlington Free Press from 1992 to 2004. This book compiles some of these columns and longer feature pieces he wrote for the Boston Globe.
I have a special interest in small towns in New England because I lived in four small towns in Maine between 1965 and 1974. I visited Vermont several times -- driving through the spectacular White and Green Mountains -- bec
Kate
Sep 28, 2013 Kate rated it it was ok
"We are a place in which the ladies' auxiliary of the volunteer fire company still holds a bake sale with cream cheese brownies at the polling station each election day, and we vote there with number-two pencils on paper ballots twice the size of diner place mats. We have a preschool that teaches the kids to sing 'I Am a Pizza' in French and brings in a justice of the peace to marry the children's stuffed animals. And every year on the Tuesday after Memorial Day, our elementary school walks en m ...more
Donna LaValley
I read a review somewhere describing this as a charming and funny collection of this writer’s work as a local columnist. The author has written popular novels, including one chosen by Oprah for her book club. Since I really enjoyed similar collections from Carl Hiaasen, Bill Bryson, Mary Roach, and Garrison Keillor, I fell for the hype and made an impulse buy.

But I didn’t fall for it at all – for the “charm” that is. The dozen or more entries I read were very place-specific, and many paragraphs
Sandi Gill
Sep 21, 2014 Sandi Gill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This essay collection was a huge surprise. I had not thought I would be fascinated and pleased to read every last essay about Vermont. Having traveled in Vermont, albeit ten or so years ago, I enjoyed the stories of small-town life in Lincoln and its environs. Now, I have never visited Lincoln, but it is not unlike many lovely small towns in Vermont, and its people are like many kindly peoply I met on my travels.

I was inspired to visit Vermont after reading Chris Bohjalian's Midwives. I visited
Liz
Apr 22, 2011 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Throughout reading this book all I kept thinking to myself is, "It must be so peaceful and beautiful to live there, but I would never survive the winter."
This collection of stories compiled from Chris Bohjalian's newspaper column was an interesting look into living in a small mountain town in Vermont and the bonds formed among the townsfolk. It was nice to read about an area that for the most part hasn't been tainted by the overabundance of modern technology. The people living in this town actu
Kaethe
Jul 17, 2014 Kaethe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Like Bohjalian, I live in a small town. His is smaller than mine. He's a much better writer than I am, too, which means these vignettes are charming and amusing and beautifully crafted and anyone who thinks they might enjoying reading about small towns should read them.

His novels are good, too.
Lynn
Mar 09, 2015 Lynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this compilation of Bohjalian's columns about moving to small-town New England. What a delight.
Jan 05, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bohjalian's collection of newspaper columns was really enjoyable.
Jaime
Feb 01, 2008 Jaime rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, essays, 2007
I really enjoyed this collection of articles/essays/whatever you want to call them. I’m a fan of "author’s notes", as I think they give an idea of the author’s true voice — what they’re really like. After reading this, I feel like Bohjalian is someone that you could sit down and chat with and completely relate to. Some of it may be that I grew up in a small town like Lincoln, so I can draw some familiar comfort from the stories. I think that reading this will make me read his future books with a ...more
Dree
Meh. I suspect these essays/columns read much better in their newspaper, especially if you know the people discussed. Some of the columns are cute, some are sad, most are too sappy for me, and entirely too many push the "small towns are better!!" crap I don't believe in. It's easy to find this sort of community in a city--though not the horses, unless perhaps you have horse property.

I love Bohjalian's fiction. At least this was a fast read.
Heather
May 20, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people looking for happy.
Shelves: favorites
Dear Chris Bohjalian,
I have given this book to a lot of people. I don't know if they appreciate it like I do. .
Love, Heather
I love this book. It is a collection of his newspaper articles from his small town newspaper and from the Boston Globe. He is a people person. I just loved reading and being near this book. Probably the mood I was in. But it's just...warm. Warm hearted. Fairly happy.
Ariannah
Sep 02, 2014 Ariannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The pages were filled with stories of love, hope, faith and small town Vermont which is a very special place. The truthfulness of the storytelling brings a connection between the author and reader which is refreshing. I highly recommend this book for anyone looking for heart-warming stories to leave a smile on your face.
David Sullivan
Dec 30, 2013 David Sullivan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vermont writing at its best; we live here and the stories ring so true and are so endearing. This man has a huge heart and shares his love for his town and its characters on his sleeve. What a joy to be brought into these intimate relationships.
Cynthia Briggs
Sep 06, 2013 Cynthia Briggs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the slow easiness of this book. It is thought-provoking in that it made me think about and ask myself: what's really important in life? It's heartwarming, touching, poignant and real; made me want to buy a farm and settle into country living (almost).

It might not be the book for everyone, but I found it to be a very pleasant read.
SallyHP
Dec 31, 2009 SallyHP rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had read Bohjalian's Midwives and LOVED it...I never knew that he had a weekly column. Along the same lines as Dave Berry, his slice of life segments are enough to feel complete on their own, but pieced together tell the tale of life in a small New England town. I may purchase this book to remind me of NE when I'm "home" sick next year.
Laurie
Jul 24, 2008 Laurie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a heartwarming book about real people and real places
I loved this book. It helps that I like reading newspaper columns, and that my parents and sister own homes and land in Lincoln, VT - so I know that the stories are true to life. I even knew a few people in the book. But even if you have never been to Lincoln it is a view of life in a small town - a life we should all aspire to.
Ruth
Aug 26, 2007 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nadya and anyone else who has an affinity to Vermont
A lovely summer read. It is nice to be reminded that one does not have to move to the Midwest to find midwestern kindness and sensibility. I have enjoyed Bohjalian's fiction (Midwives) in the past and his non-fiction compares well. I am now very envious of Nadya. Small towns can be amazing places. Especially ones found in Vermont.
Jami
Mar 04, 2009 Jami rated it really liked it
a collection of magazine essays and newspaper columns about a dislocated New Yorker who now lives in rural Vermont. These are the kind of articles that make you wish you could be there and experience what the author's experienced. I've only ever felt that way one other time; Cicely, Alaska from the Northern Exposure TV series.
Katie
Dec 27, 2010 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, nonfiction
Liked this so much more than the last two novels of his that I read. Reminds me of living in Northern New England, and the people I love and the land I treasure. It's a bunch of short articles, so the book stayed in the car and I read it as I waited around for people. Easy to put down, but just as easy to pick up.
Charles Johnstone
Chris used to write a weekly column in the Sunday Edition of the Burlington Free Press, the state's largest newspaper. It was a great read, and was the main reason why I read the paper each week. This book is a collection of stories of things that have happened to Chris. It's a great read!
Trissa
Feb 10, 2010 Trissa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Elizabeth Gilbert
Recommended to Trissa by: book club!
I just can't give this feel good book a chance. I've seen this premise before - spoiled self indulgent writer writes (in this case compiles) a memoir. I'm tired of memoirs, finding a good one was like finding a real artist in the Milli Vanilli era of music.

Cara Achterberg
Good writing and I do love this author' books, but the columns just didn't hold my interest. I think you had to live in the small town he was writing about. These were obviously for the local paper and they were lucky to have a writer of this caliber for a columnist.
Maggie
Jul 14, 2009 Maggie rated it really liked it
A quick read. These are articles (with the exceptions of one fiction short story at the end) Bohjalian wrote about his very small town in Vermont. Very well written, interesting, and frequently amusing. It was nice to learn a little about his private life.
  • Village in a Valley
  • Eat This Book: Cooking with Global Fresh Flavors
  • South with the Sun: Roald Amundsen, His Polar Explorations, and the Quest for Discovery
  • His Holiness: John Paul II and the History of Our Time
  • Paula Deen's My First Cookbook
  • The Cyanide Canary
  • Where the Truth Lies: A Novel
  • Photo Freedom
  • Top Secret Recipes Unlocked: All New Home Clones of America's Favorite Brand-Name Foods
  • Scrapbook Page Maps: Sketches For Creative Layouts
  • You Must Revise Your Life
  • The Roots of My Obsession: Thirty Great Gardeners Reveal Why They Garden
  • Manager's Toolkit: The 13 Skills Managers Need to Succeed
Lincoln, Vermont’s Chris Bohjalian is the author of 18 books, most of which were New York Times bestsellers. His work has been translated into over 30 languages and three times become movies.

Hi new novel, "The Guest Room," a story of a human trafficking, a marriage in crisis, and two remarkable women, just went on sale.

His books have been chosen as Best Books of the Year by the Washington Post, th
More about Chris Bohjalian...