Start by marking “The Rebel Princess” as Want to Read:
The Rebel Princess

The Rebel Princess (Alais Capet #2)

Alais, the spirited and indomitable princess of France, returns for another thrilling adventure in this historically rich, mesmerizing sequel to "The Canterbury Papers"

When I settled back among the velvet cushions, the scenes from the cathedral replayed themselves before my unwilling eyes: the odd chalice, the way Constance looked at it, the interruption of Mass by the arm
Published (first published June 30th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Rebel Princess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rebel Princess

Jenny OH
Jan 09, 2017 Jenny OH rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed this installment of the Alais Capet series. I've been a major historical fiction fan (particularly medieval history, particularly mysteries) for most of my reading life, and I'm making an effort to read more about historical women. While of course this isn't a biography or nonfiction, it's clear that Healey has researched and relies on the historical source materials as much as possible. This doesn't mean it's dry or slow-moving at all; there's plenty of intrigue and adventu ...more
Amanda
Aug 04, 2011 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Rebel Princess tells the story of Princess Alais of France, the daughter of King Louis VII and his second wife Queen Constance. Alais' early life at the British court of King Henry II has been well documented in other novels, typically because it is much juicier and more compelling than the events after she left, so it was a little refreshing to see something about the latter part of the princess' life. The more "tabloid worthy" events of her early years were likely documented in The Rebel P ...more
Donna Radcliff
I found this second novel in the Princess Alais and Lord William series to be more cumbersome than the first book, The Canterbury Papers. In setting up the backdrop of early 13th century France with its political and religious intrigue involving King Philippe of France, the Cathars (a rogue offshoot of the Catholic church and deemed heretical) and Rome, the first half of the book is slow going. A host of additional new characters are introduced, though all historically correct, and one almost ne ...more
Julie
Jan 05, 2017 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great historical fiction! Loved everything about this book, gotta look for more from this author.
Sarah Beth
This book was a gift, so I didn't realize until I was nearly done that it is the sequel to The Canterbury Papers. However, that did not diminish my ability to understand the narrative or enjoy the story of Alais of France. Set in 1207, this novel covers Alais as a middle aged woman who desires to marry William of Caen and settle down to a quiet life. However, intrigue at her brother Phillipe's court lead to Alais setting out to find a kidnapped young knight and a stolen chalice.

Healey is clear
Cassandra
Nov 09, 2014 Cassandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before reading this, I had never heard of Alais Capet before. This time period in France remained completely unknown to me, and so I didn’t have an interest in finding books about it. However, one day in the library I came upon this book by chance and decided it might be interesting, so I picked it up without knowing it was a sequel to another book.

The wonderful thing about this book is that while it makes references to The Canterbury Papers everything is always explained, so you aren’t left won
Katie
Mar 14, 2013 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Man. Oh man oh man oh man. Where do I start?

The good: I was MUCH more impressed with this book than I was with The Canterbury Papers. In fact, I picked up The Rebel Princess before I realized there was a sequel, and read it mainly to get to this book. The prose and general style are much more developed and mature, and I thought that it made points clearer. As well, the subplot concerning the Cathar religion was fascinating - it was something I had never heard of before and will promptly be takin
Melanie
Feb 05, 2016 Melanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Where to start? This was a very, very, very long read for me. I would start reading it and stop, then repeat the exercise for the next month and a half.

For me, reading this historical fiction which, mind you, was very well written and full of many, many historical events, was pure torture.

It might be (but I doubt it) because I hadn’t read the book before it, THE CANTERBURY PAPERS. Or it might be too much of history and not enough of fiction; but whatever it was, I wasn’t able to connect to it. T
Erika Schmid
Mar 13, 2016 Erika Schmid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first pulled this book from my shelf and I read the description I wondered why the characters sounded so familiar. Then I was delighted to find that this is the sequel to "The Canterbury Papers," which I read just last year. Needless to say, I was happy to continue Princess Alais' journey. I was intrigued as to how history would once again merge with these characters. While I liked that the brewing war against the Cathar's in southern France was the pivotal element of this story, I desire ...more
Ally
Jan 09, 2017 Ally rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this but I'm a bit disappointed with the ending. It just cuts off. Of course, everything ended up getting resolved that really needed to be resolved but I didn't feel satisfied.

Also, the there was a lot of build-up but once the actual "adventure" started it felt very rushed.

Not a bad story (though there's quite a lot of liberties taken with the historical content I feel like but I hadn't read the first novel so I may be missing information) but there could be more focus on the charac
Paige
Nov 16, 2010 Paige rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Princess Alais, sister to the king of France, is a feisty young woman who relies on her hunches as she navigates conspiracies and shifting loyalties within the royal French court of the early 13th century. Although this book is a sequel to The Canterbury Papers it stands well on its own. Alais wants to marry her lover, grand master of the Knights Templar, and reveal her true identity to her son, but instead she is swept up in dangerous schemes as a papal envoy tries to persuade the French king t ...more
Kirsten
Apr 08, 2013 Kirsten rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
History focuses more on the kings, not their sister princesses. This novel, with its background on the Cathar "heresy" of the early 13th century, lends itself naturally to a female protagonist. Women were stronger leaders in the Cathar movement, which advocated a return to the purity of the early Catholic Church. This story showcased some of the noblewomen who sacrificed their security by supporting the Cathars. The twist or climax, though, was a little gimmicky and somewhat unbelievable. Instea ...more
Anna Karras
Jul 14, 2009 Anna Karras rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sequel to The Canterbury Papers, this novel picks up with Princess Alaiis very frustrated with her situation. Her secret significant other, William of Caen, is away on Templar business, and she is at odds and bored with the French court. But intrigue always seems to find this woman, and soon she is wrapped up in secret plans for the Pope's men to raise an army against Southern France to stamp down on the newly rooted Cathars. Another kidnapping, stealing of treasure, murder, and intrigue ensue. ...more
Susan
Jun 24, 2014 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I like the idea behind Healey's Princess Alais novels, take a relatively unknown historical woman and place her at the center of important events, but it just feels as if the lengthy (and often repetitive) explanations drag out what at heart is an adventure. The end, however, is abrupt as two people important to Alais' current mission are simply announced as having been killed! Then the book just stops!
Dawn (& Ron)
I read the first book, The Canterbury Papers, years ago. It as an enjoyable light read, on a person not often seen in HF, especially at the time. More of an adventure with a bit of mystery, than a straight HF. There were some inconsistencies and errors that kept pulling me out of the story, I hope that things are tighter and better edited in this follow up.
Conyers
Dec 21, 2009 Conyers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction
Mystery/intrigue set in the 13th century. The story as very good and easy to follow. The only thing I had a problem with was figuring out the people and their royal connections. Even though I have see a Lion in Winter, it didn't help me very much. Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine, etc., etc. I eventually worked it out...thanks to the Internet.
Briony Tallis
Feb 19, 2013 Briony Tallis rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating premise leads to an incredible disappointment. The prose plods along with the plot and what should have been an intriguing protagonist is utterly flat and far less intelligent than the book's early stages promise. The Rebel Princess could have benefited from much more rigorous editing and development.
Maggie
A quick read, adventurous and romantic. I would be more interested in the real story with regard to the Cathars and the intrigue of the English and French courts around this time, but this tale has nonetheless whetted my appetite to pursue more factual information in this regard. Some scenarious a little too 'slick' but still provided good hooks and pace to keep reading.
Gaile
After much danger and adventure, our Princess finally finds her son.
Smoothly written and easy to read, there is still a sequel coming to this one. If you wish to find out about the Cathers,forerunners of protestants, this is the one to read.
Elisem007
Historically rich and detailed. Judith Knoll Healy does a wonderful job of bringing these people and their world to life. However it is rather slow to get going, the action doesn't start until over halfway through the book.
Sara
May 01, 2010 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: popular-lit
This story dragged a bit but, in the end, it was an enjoyable piece of historical fiction. I didn't realize it was a sequel until I'd already started it so maybe reading the first one would have helped me feel less lost in this book.
Jane
Aug 12, 2016 Jane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't realize it was a sequel. It had some allusions to the first book (I'm assuming) but it wasn't hard to follow. I couldn't quite get into the momentum of the book. It took me maybe half a year of on and off reading to finish. Kind of Meh.
Patricia
Dec 27, 2014 Patricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in Medieval France, this is a captivating sequel to "The Canterbury Papers". A seamless blend of history and fiction, thrilling adventure, suspense and intrigue. Interesting characters, with a wonderful heroine. I hope there is a third novel one day.
Melisende d'Outremer
I really enjoy Judith's tales with Alais as the heroine and am becoming a fan. Looking forward to next instalment!
Debbie
Jan 31, 2012 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book.... Nice to see an alternate view of history of the kings..
Maia
Dec 10, 2014 Maia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as the first. I found that Alais' character spent a lot more time playing the princess and less the independently minded woman I saw in the first novel.
kelly
Oh I love it when I find a new potential series. I especially like historical fiction with strong female leads! Highly recommended
Rebecca
Mar 01, 2013 Rebecca rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was not extraordinary. The tale failed to grip me and I found I did not care one bit about the fate of the characters and the cup.
It read like a lame murder mystery...with very little murder.
Dec 06, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
Not as intriguing as her first. I just can't get into it right now (about 120 pages in), so perhaps I'll try again later.
Tarmia Klass
If I could this book would be rated a 2.5. I loved the characters but I felt much of the plot was slow and rather unsuspensful. The ending was also anti-climactic.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Rose of York: Fall from Grace (The Rose of York Trilogy, #3)
  • Queen of Shadows: A Novel of Isabella, Wife of King Edward II
  • The Flowering of the Rose (We Speak No Treason, #1)
  • The Sixth Surrender
  • The Lute Player
  • Duchess of Aquitaine: A Novel of Eleanor
  • Isabeau: A Novel of Queen Isabella and Sir Roger Mortimer (The Isabella Books, #1)
  • Within the Hollow Crown: A Reluctant King, a Desperate Nation, and the Most Misunderstood Reign in History
  • The People's Queen
  • I, Jacqueline
  • The Secret Eleanor
  • Out of the Dawn Light (Aelf Fen, #1)
  • Godiva
  • Queen Defiant: A Novel of Eleanor of Aquitaine
  • The Waverly Novels: The Betrothed
  • The Goldsmith's Wife
  • Watermark: A Novel of the Middle Ages
  • Insurrection (The Insurrection Trilogy, #1)
Judith Koll Healey is currently the president of a national firm that works with families in their philanthropic efforts. She is a published poet and short-fiction writer and has lectured internationally on the topic of art and the unconscious. She lives in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Series:
* Alais Capet
More about Judith Koll Healey...

Alais Capet (2 books)
  • The Canterbury Papers  (Alais Capet, #1)