3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  227 ratings  ·  19 reviews
The bestselling author of The Bridesmaid and winner of three Edgars, three Daggers, and a special National Book Award presents nine chilling, new stories of psychological suspense and mystery. "Undoubtedly one of the best writers of English mystery".--Los Angeles Times.
Published September 1st 1992 by Warner Books (NY) (first published January 1st 1980)

Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenThe Copper Peacock and Other Stories by Ruth RendellThird Girl by Agatha ChristieThe Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar WildeMaid Marian by Thomas Love Peacock
Peacocks Dancing
2nd out of 53 books — 6 voters
The Firm by John GrishamOutlander by Diana GabaldonSophie's World by Jostein GaarderWild Swans by Jung ChangThe Six Wives of Henry VIII by Alison Weir
Best books of 1991
41st out of 152 books — 65 voters

More lists with this book...

Laila
3.5 stars.

Rendell is a master of the short story - especially unsettling ones. The one about the cat lady, Long Live the Queen, is one of the creepiest short stories I've ever read. And I like cats.
Amy
Oct 24, 2008 Amy added it
I haven't read short stories in a while. She really is staying away from tidying up all the loose ends in this one. More like "choose your own ending." Like life, I suppose.
Renee
Dec 16, 2013 Renee rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: wcls
Rendell packs a lot into a short story. Minimal pages, maximum impact.
Kirsti
I enjoyed rereading these. Not as enthralling as her novels, though.
Joanne
Good stories, especially the title one.
Deanne
A good collection of short stories.
Kasey Jueds
Hard to think of anything about the amazing and incredible Ruth Rendell that I haven't already written before. I love her, she's a genius, I hope she lives forever, etc. These stories are dark and smart and completely compelling--in part because Rendell is such an incredible stylist, and in part because she has such a profound and often startling understanding of human nature. I especially noticed, in this book, her skill with unattractive narrators. The one in the title story is a great example...more
Antonia
An engaging collection of darkly-humored stories that reflect the author's quirky understanding of human nature!
Robert
by Ruth Rendell
There are nine Stories in this book . I must say that I enjoyed reading them . But it would not be a book I would get again . The stories are all a bit dark . If you are like me you enjoy darker books . I found a few of the books a it sad , and all have to do with death one way or anther . So if your looking for a quick read , that is a bit on the darker side . I think you would enjoy this one .
Sharonm
This was short stories, not my favorite, but well executed by Rendell. The stories were each somewhat ironic and I found the twists very interesting. The people in these stories were not terribly sympathetic, but were well drawn given the short story format.
Jenn
Typically, I didn't love all of the short stories, but I liked them all. I particularly liked Long Live the Queen (an interesting take on the "cat lady") and An Unwanted Woman.

Audio Review: It was expertly read by actress Penelope Keith.
Kristal Cooper
The audiobook format failed me on this one. The big twist at the end of each story must have been a little reference back to some detail I missed while I was paying more attention to traffic than the narrator.
Robert
An excellent collection of short stories read by Donada Peters. I've listened to several read by Ms. Peters and this is, for me, easily her best performance I've so far encountered.
Megan
Not her strongest collection, but still solid and a few of them-- A Pair of Yellow Lilies, Paperwork and The Fish-Sitter-- were excellent.
This is a great collection of suspense short stories from one of my favorite contemporary British authors, Ruth Rendell.
Melissa
Short stories, strange, raw, storybookish
Dana
Always worth reading Ms Rendell.
Biddy
great short stories each with a twist.
Mister B
Mister B is currently reading it
Apr 12, 2014
Mike Gabor
Mike Gabor marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Novel Frostii
Novel Frostii marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Nadine Larter
Nadine Larter marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Katie Adee
Katie Adee marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Carilu
Carilu marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Grasshopper
  • Edith's Diary
  • Winter Frost (Inspector Frost, #5)
  • Morse's Greatest Mystery and Other Stories
  • Quarantine: Stories
  • Mystery Writers of America Presents The Blue Religion: New Stories about Cops, Criminals, and the Chase
  • The Price Of Butcher's Meat (Dalziel & Pascoe, #23)
  • A Rose for Winter
  • Unfinished Portrait: A Novel of Romance and Suspense.
  • Altered States
Ruth Barbara Rendell, Baroness Rendell of Babergh, CBE, who also writes under the pseudonym Barbara Vine, is an acclaimed English crime writer, known for her many psychological thrillers and murder mysteries.
More about Ruth Rendell...
From Doon With Death (Inspector Wexford, #1) A Judgement in Stone The Babes in the Wood (Inspector Wexford, #19) A Sight for Sore Eyes The Water's Lovely