Start by marking “Going Wrong” as Want to Read:
Going Wrong

Going Wrong

3.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  665 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
In Rendell's evocative portrayal of West London, the slums of Notting Hill Gate and the mews houses of Holland Park are not streets, but worlds, apart. When these two worlds collide, the repercussions are fatal.

Guy and Leonora were childhood sweethearts, and belonged to the same criminal gang. But as the wealthy Leonora grew older, they grew apart, and Guy's innocent love
Published August 1st 1991 by Arrow (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Going Wrong, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Going Wrong

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles DickensA Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff1984 by George OrwellNeverwhere by Neil Gaiman
London Calling
196th out of 798 books — 477 voters
Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireLolita by Vladimir NabokovWuthering Heights by Emily BrontëRomeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareSam Certainly Can by Bridgitte Lesley
Crazy Love
81st out of 263 books — 321 voters

More lists with this book...

Kelly
Jul 18, 2011 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011, favorites
For some reason, I've always tended to avoid British authors. I guess I like to stay in familiar territory, whether in real life or within the pages of a novel. But having heard great things about Rendell/Vine from a friend of mine (thanks Barbara :) I finally gave her a shot. I must confess that I almost put the book down a couple of times for future reading, but then I found myself enjoying it and decided to stick with it. It turned out to be really good!

Told in 3rd-person, Rendell brilliantly
Kim
Jun 28, 2010 Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-book, 2010
Guy Curren has been in love with Leonora Chisholm since they were joint-sharing teenagers. They come from different sides of the tracks but as young teenagers believe they will be together forever. Leonora grows up and grows away from Guy, but Guy is never able to let go of the belief that they are destined for each other. Leonora continues to meet Guy for lunch every Saturday and he phones her every day.

Guy has made good and is a wealthy man but he is unable to shake of his sense that he is not
Ape
Jan 01, 2013 Ape rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: england
David Zerangue
I applaud Ms. Rendell's efforts to delve into people's psyches. In general, people are disturbing. Their ability to rationalize events in a fashion that is amenable to them is downright creepy. We either know someone or have been that someone who has experienced that temporary bit of insanity when a relationship is over and both parties are not on the same footing. At first, I thought Guy took it to a new level, but the genius of Ms. Rendell's writing is that she has brought to life a character ...more
Trawets
Jul 24, 2014 Trawets rated it really liked it
Guy Curran is still obsessed by his teenage sweetheart Leonora, they only have lunch on a Saturday daily phone calls initiated by him. He believes that one day she will be his wife, even when she says she is engaged to be married. Guy thinks there is a conspiracy against him, is he mad or bad?

Another wonderful Ruth Rendell novel.
M. Newman
I was kind of disappointed in this book, given my love for the writing of Ruth Rendell. It is the story of Guy Curran, a former drug dealer/street hood who gives up the thug life after giving LSD to a man who dies after taking it. Guy does not quit that life before amassing a fortune, however.
He carries a torch for Leonora who was his girlfriend when she was a child but who is now engaged to another man. Leonora does, however, allow Guy to meet her for lunch every Saturday and she strings him a
Ms. Jared
Apr 08, 2014 Ms. Jared rated it liked it
I think I just need to accept the fact that while I LOVED House of Stairs, Tree of Hands, and The Crocodile Bird, the other dozen or so books I've read by Rendell are just fair to good. Or maybe the first three I read just set too high a bar and all the others have disappointingly not reached their level.

Anyway, this one was okay, but confusing because I couldn't tell if Guy was delusional/misreading everything or if Leonora really was sending mixed signals. Neither character was particularly li
Kristina  UK
Apr 30, 2009 Kristina UK rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This was the first Ruth Rendall book I have read and I enjoyed it immensely. The characters were interesting and well developed, but also believable. I loved the way she got into the head of the obsessed ex and the story was mainly seen from his point of view.
Chris
So when is obession not obession? And how many of the British are snobs? Read this. This is a great book that deals with shifts in belief and trust. It is at once complex and simple. Totally enjoyable.
Fictionophile
Although Ruth Rendell is one of my favourite authors, I disliked this particular novel. The title is apt in that I think this time she went wrong...
Karschtl
The book reminded me a lot of "This sweet sickness" by Patricia Highsmith. It deals with the same topic: a man is hopelessly in love with a woman who doesn't want him. But nevertheless he deceives himself that they are together, or will be together in the end anyway.

The setting here is London, the time about 1990. Although it could easily also be the 60's for all I know. The style is kinda old-fashioned. But it suited the story just fine I guess.

The attentive reader can easily foresee the very e
Jess
Sep 15, 2007 Jess rated it liked it
not her best, not as engrossing and characters weren't as 3d as usual.
Eric Gittins
Apr 06, 2014 Eric Gittins rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
It filled in a wet Sunday
Chris Gager
One of my found books. Great cover art! I'm still reading Tess but I've snuck a peek to my next one! Looks good so far if a bit obvious. The guy seems a bit obsessed - not a good thing... unbalanced. Charismatic and wealthy but on the edge violence-wise. Already I'm reminded of a scene from "Manhunter" when the not-understanding Tooth Fairy(he IS a serial killer, after all) goes after a friend of his lady love. Friend Carol recommends the author!

Moving along as the author puts us deeper inside t
Sara
Nov 01, 2014 Sara rated it it was ok
Years ago my mother gave me this book after she read it, I presume because she thought I'd like it. I can't imagine why she would have thought such a thing. The main character, Guy Curran is an obsessed paranoid delusional madman. The entire book is a repetitive description of his delusional obsession. I nearly became mad myself! Once again, I didn't find any of the characters to be likable. This is my first Ruth Randall book. I have another on my shelf, also passed on to me by my mother. I hope ...more
Rebecca
Apr 13, 2012 Rebecca rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Morggie
May 10, 2015 Morggie rated it it was ok
Not one of her best efforts. Main protagonist was paranoid, delusional and very idiotic. The only likeable character was his model girlfriend
who exhibited some semblance of intelligence.
R.L.
Aug 13, 2014 R.L. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: suspense
How could I ever forget this one? I read this years ago. It was one of the most suspenseful books I had ever read. The boy's thought seem so normal at first. Yikes!
La Mala  ✌
Jul 23, 2014 La Mala ✌ rated it liked it
Los personajes de Rendell son tan psicopátas como puede serse y esta novela no es la excepción.

El desarrollo de la trama, sin embargo, me decepcionó un poco.
Laurie
Jun 29, 2014 Laurie rated it it was ok
I didn't enjoy this book very much. The story was so annoying at times because of the main characters repetitive nature. I found it very boring because of this.
Suvi
Mar 09, 2014 Suvi rated it liked it
So much potential, but didn't live up to it. Creepy for sure, just not as intense I would have liked. I really disliked Guy throughout the book, but ended up feeling sympathy in the end.
Béatrice
Dec 27, 2014 Béatrice rated it it was ok
Shelves: thriller
Beaucoup plus psychologique que policier, cette histoire d'amour obsessionnel!
Jay
Aug 13, 2014 Jay rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This tale of obsession was very well read in a voice that made me dislike the protagonist while at the same making me feel irritated. Guy is thoroughly unpleasant, Leonora seems unable to stand up for herself. Ruth Rendell has an infinite capacity for drawing detailed portraits of people that I am glad I don't have in my life. I really did not enjoy this book at all, but felt compelled to keep listening.
Lisa
Dec 16, 2015 Lisa rated it did not like it
just couldn't get into this!
BasziK
Jan 20, 2016 BasziK rated it liked it
british crime
Juanita
Never was there a more apt title. What WERE you thinking? I didn't forget to add the stars, but there is no Minus 5 stars available. If this was the only book of hers I'd ever read, I certainly wouldn't contemplate another. It was like "Seinfeld" on an endless loop, only without the humour.You couldn't go wrong with this one if you threw it into a metal dustbin and set fire to it for good measure.
Linda
Aug 17, 2009 Linda rated it liked it
I have read other books by Ruth Rendall in the past. This book reminded me of her talent and of a certain dark, somewhat distasteful feeling I get when I read her books. She's a wonderful writer and this is a genre I usually gobble up but.... I think it's that the murderer often is the main character and so one gets the inside of a sick mind. It's too much for me, I think
Leslie
Aug 10, 2011 Leslie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-books-read
I read the whole book, expecting at some point to become invested in the characters, or for the long drawn out "girl leading on a psycho" storyline to become interesting, but neither of those things happened. I bought this because it was on sale, and I wanted a good crime/mystery novel...it was a colossal let down.
Libby
1.5 - My first book by Ms. Rendell. I had read good reviews of her work but found this book disappointing. She is a skilled writer and does a good job being in the mind of a psychopath in this book - but it just lacked plot. It was uneventful and unengaging
Dec 12, 2011 Sarah rated it did not like it
  • Gallowglass
  • Edith's Diary
  • The Lammas Feast (Roger the Chapman, #11)
  • La rosa di Alessandria
  • The Shape of Snakes
  • El lejano país de los estanques
  • Slight Mourning (Inspector Sloan #6)
  • Beat Until Stiff
  • Fleurs de ruine
A.K.A. Barbara Vine

Ruth Barbara Rendell, Baroness Rendell of Babergh, CBE, who also wrote under the pseudonym Barbara Vine, was an acclaimed English crime writer, known for her many psychological thrillers and murder mysteries and above all for Inspector Wexford.
More about Ruth Rendell...