Going Wrong

Going Wrong

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  472 ratings  ·  54 reviews
In Rendell's evocative portrayal of West London, the slums of Notting Hill Gate and the mews houses of Holland Park are not streets, but worlds, apart. When these two worlds collide, the repercussions are fatal.

Guy and Leonora were childhood sweethearts, and belonged to the same criminal gang. But as the wealthy Leonora grew older, they grew apart, and Guy's innocent love...more
Paperback
Published August 1st 1991 by Arrow (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Going Wrong, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Going Wrong

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles DickensNeverwhere by Neil Gaiman84, Charing Cross Road by Helene HanffA Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens1984 by George Orwell
London Calling
166th out of 616 books — 393 voters
Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireLolita by Vladimir NabokovRomeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareWuthering Heights by Emily BrontëSam Certainly Can by Bridgitte Lesley
Crazy Love
56th out of 215 books — 268 voters

More lists with this book...

Kelly
For some reason, I've always tended to avoid British authors. I guess I like to stay in familiar territory, whether in real life or within the pages of a novel. But having heard great things about Rendell/Vine from a friend of mine (thanks Barbara :) I finally gave her a shot. I must confess that I almost put the book down a couple of times for future reading, but then I found myself enjoying it and decided to stick with it. It turned out to be really good!

Told in 3rd-person, Rendell brilliantly...more
Kim
Guy Curren has been in love with Leonora Chisholm since they were joint-sharing teenagers. They come from different sides of the tracks but as young teenagers believe they will be together forever. Leonora grows up and grows away from Guy, but Guy is never able to let go of the belief that they are destined for each other. Leonora continues to meet Guy for lunch every Saturday and he phones her every day.

Guy has made good and is a wealthy man but he is unable to shake of his sense that he is not...more
Ape
Daimen Vauban
I applaud Ms. Rendell's efforts to delve into people's psyches. In general, people are disturbing. Their ability to rationalize events in a fashion that is amenable to them is downright creepy. We either know someone or have been that someone who has experienced that temporary bit of insanity when a relationship is over and both parties are not on the same footing. At first, I thought Guy took it to a new level, but the genius of Ms. Rendell's writing is that she has brought to life a character...more
Trawets
Guy Curran is still obsessed by his teenage sweetheart Leonora, they only have lunch on a Saturday daily phone calls initiated by him. He believes that one day she will be his wife, even when she says she is engaged to be married. Guy thinks there is a conspiracy against him, is he mad or bad?

Another wonderful Ruth Rendell novel.
Ms. Jared
I think I just need to accept the fact that while I LOVED House of Stairs, Tree of Hands, and The Crocodile Bird, the other dozen or so books I've read by Rendell are just fair to good. Or maybe the first three I read just set too high a bar and all the others have disappointingly not reached their level.

Anyway, this one was okay, but confusing because I couldn't tell if Guy was delusional/misreading everything or if Leonora really was sending mixed signals. Neither character was particularly li...more
Kristina  UK
This was the first Ruth Rendall book I have read and I enjoyed it immensely. The characters were interesting and well developed, but also believable. I loved the way she got into the head of the obsessed ex and the story was mainly seen from his point of view.
M. Newman
I was kind of disappointed in this book, given my love for the writing of Ruth Rendell. It is the story of Guy Curran, a former drug dealer/street hood who gives up the thug life after giving LSD to a man who dies after taking it. Guy does not quit that life before amassing a fortune, however.
He carries a torch for Leonora who was his girlfriend when she was a child but who is now engaged to another man. Leonora does, however, allow Guy to meet her for lunch every Saturday and she strings him a...more
Chris
So when is obession not obession? And how many of the British are snobs? Read this. This is a great book that deals with shifts in belief and trust. It is at once complex and simple. Totally enjoyable.
Jess
not her best, not as engrossing and characters weren't as 3d as usual.
Shelly
Rebecca
R.L.
How could I ever forget this one? I read this years ago. It was one of the most suspenseful books I had ever read. The boy's thought seem so normal at first. Yikes!
La Mala
Los personajes de Rendell son tan psicopátas como puede serse y esta novela no es la excepción.

El desarrollo de la trama, sin embargo, me decepcionó un poco.
Laurie
I didn't enjoy this book very much. The story was so annoying at times because of the main characters repetitive nature. I found it very boring because of this.
Suvi
So much potential, but didn't live up to it. Creepy for sure, just not as intense I would have liked. I really disliked Guy throughout the book, but ended up feeling sympathy in the end.
Lynne
Although Ruth Rendell is one of my favourite authors, I disliked this particular novel. The title is apt in that I think this time she went wrong...
Jay
This tale of obsession was very well read in a voice that made me dislike the protagonist while at the same making me feel irritated. Guy is thoroughly unpleasant, Leonora seems unable to stand up for herself. Ruth Rendell has an infinite capacity for drawing detailed portraits of people that I am glad I don't have in my life. I really did not enjoy this book at all, but felt compelled to keep listening.
Eric Gittins
It filled in a wet Sunday
Juanita
Never was there a more apt title. What WERE you thinking? I didn't forget to add the stars, but there is no Minus 5 stars available. If this was the only book of hers I'd ever read, I certainly wouldn't contemplate another. It was like "Seinfeld" on an endless loop, only without the humour.You couldn't go wrong with this one if you threw it into a metal dustbin and set fire to it for good measure.
Linda
I have read other books by Ruth Rendall in the past. This book reminded me of her talent and of a certain dark, somewhat distasteful feeling I get when I read her books. She's a wonderful writer and this is a genre I usually gobble up but.... I think it's that the murderer often is the main character and so one gets the inside of a sick mind. It's too much for me, I think
Leslie
I read the whole book, expecting at some point to become invested in the characters, or for the long drawn out "girl leading on a psycho" storyline to become interesting, but neither of those things happened. I bought this because it was on sale, and I wanted a good crime/mystery novel...it was a colossal let down.
Nenia Campbell
You can read more reviews at my blog, The Armchair Librarian.

I read one of Ms. Rendell's earlier works a couple days before. It was called Master of the Moors. I liked her writing abilities but I did not like the story, unfortunately (yes, it was one of those books). However, I had several of her other books on my TBR list with more appealing summaries and so I gave her another shot.

I'm so glad I did!

Going Wrong is an anti-love story of obsessive, stalkery love. Think Romeo and Juliet or Wutheri...more
Libby
1.5 - My first book by Ms. Rendell. I had read good reviews of her work but found this book disappointing. She is a skilled writer and does a good job being in the mind of a psychopath in this book - but it just lacked plot. It was uneventful and unengaging
Ruth went wrong with this one. Generally enjoy her mysteries - but this was billed as "a novel of suspense." It was not suspensful. Story of the rather pathetic Guy, who winds up hiring a hit man of accidentally kills the wrong person. Waste of time.
Bibi Rose
Rendell is amazing when it comes to writing from the point of view of unpleasant, derelict or otherwise unlikely characters. It took me a while to get into this one but once the plot complications started mounting, it was irresistible.
Jack Neary
I can see how some readers have given up on this, but I admire its determination to stick with the rather unsavory lead character, to acknowledge his obsession, and not allow the story to turn into some kind of shoot-em-up.
Olivia Dan
I hated the main character and just wanted the book to be over. I did not enjoy reading it and I understand the karma that unfolds, but I cannot in good conscience recommend it to anyone.
Jasper
Read this in 1990 just after it came out, its the only Ruth Rendell book I've read and I found it sinister and compelling reading. A bit of a potboiler but a very good one.
Mguhin
I am a huge Rendell fan, but this was not one of her best outings. It seemed padded and somehow overdone. Having said that, I still liked it enough for 3 stars.
  • No Night is Too Long
  • Edith's Diary
  • New Hope for the Dead
  • Darwin's Blade
  • Over the Gate (Fairacre, #5)
  • Maigret and the Hundred Gibbets
  • Noir: A Novel
  • The Breaker
A.K.A. Barbara Vine

Ruth Barbara Rendell, Baroness Rendell of Babergh, CBE, who also writes under the pseudonym Barbara Vine, is an acclaimed English crime writer, known for her many psychological thrillers and murder mysteries.
More about Ruth Rendell...
From Doon With Death (Inspector Wexford, #1) A Judgement in Stone The Babes in the Wood (Inspector Wexford, #19) A Sight for Sore Eyes Kissing the Gunner's Daughter (Inspector Wexford, #15)