Start by marking “Master of the Highlands (Highlands; Veronica Wolff #1)” as Want to Read:
Master of the Highlands (Highlands; Veronica Wolff #1)

Master of the Highlands (Highlands #1)

3.81  ·  Rating Details ·  1,048 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
A modern woman finds true love across the ocean-and across time.

A fabulous debut for fans of Diana Gabaldon and Karen Marie Moning

Lily Hamlin is making a pilgrimage to Scotland with hopes for some direction in her life. There she discovers an overgrown maze and a strange stone map-and lands back in time, in the Lochaber of 1654.

Ewen, Chief of the Clan Cameron, must s
Published February 5th 2008 by Penguin Group (USA)

To ask other readers questions about Master of the Highlands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Master of the Highlands

Kathrynn
Jun 14, 2015 Kathrynn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Fiction Time-Travel
To say that I found Master of the Highlands disappointing would be an understatement. I went into reading it expecting a sexy highlander with modern heroine who went back in time. What I got was that, but with a lot of extraneous fiction thrown in and very little romance between the h/h.

At times, felt the author spent too much time explaining the character's actions when she already covered it. For me, this author has a lot of potential, just lay off the long extrapolations a bit and beef up th
Susan
Pretty good book. Having devoted years to her job, Lily has finally realized that something is missing. She takes a trip to Scotland, visiting places that her grandmother talked about and hoping to find some peace. While looking for something different to sketch she wanders into a strange maze and comes out of it more than 350 years in the past. She's rescued by Ewen who takes her to his home while he tries to figure out how to get her back where she belongs. Meanwhile, he is trying to protect h ...more
❤️☘♡Dinna Ken♡☘❤️
2 stars that shine on my DNF shelf..

Maybe someday, I think it still has potential, but definitely not today.

So..

Time-travel is one of my favorite genres.. but this book just didn't grab my attention..

It could have gone better, I mean, I almost snoozed just reading the first 2 chapters!

description

Also... the hero "systematically" checked his weapons!

Systematically?!..

description

Was this word even known to be used during that time? This word and a lot of other words for that matter!

And then, the waiting for something t
Jilly
Feb 17, 2013 Jilly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: highlands
Billed as being great for Gabaldon and Moning fans, I found this book to be a little disappointing. I'd read in a review that Wolff wrote more historic fiction than romance which I was hoping for because pf my love of Outlander. And while I don't think Wolff focused on the romance, I do think she focused more on the characters and the goings on of the main characters over anything too historic.

Having said that, I don't think the story bad and knowing there are more books gives me some hope there
Sue
Jul 18, 2016 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scotland, 2016-rcftci
As a book I'd rate it 3.5, has a plot I love... time travel back to the 17th century Highlands. The characters are endearing and I enjoyed the story. But, it's light... and as written it could be better. An important loose end was left stranded in my opinion or at least not finished enough. I thought the Laird should have done a bit more to let his son know he loved him. Lily saw it but his son not enough.

Robert could have been more endearing, it would have made the impact of his heroics more im
Laura V.
Es un Se lee pero No me gustó.

La caracterización de los personajes es poco tosca, la relación entre todos es forzada, no hay naturalidad al conversar, ni hablar de los momentos "románticos" entre Lily y Ewen, no tiene sentido aclarar que es bastante bruto. Se aprecia la intención, pero tiene mucho que pulir a partir de este libro.

Hay cosas que hubieran sido lindas de explorar como el porqué John se comportaba así, o cuál era exactamente la posición de Robert en el clan, o de donde deviene toda e
TJ
Eh, not bad but nothing to make it stand out even a little above the bazillion highlander books out there, especially not against other time-travel highlander books put out by the likes of Kurland, Bybee or Moning.

The heroine, Lily, is supposed to be a modern day woman thrown back into 17th century Scotland. Now, I know that would be a HUGE adjustment but this chick is cranky all. the. time! She attributes her horrid behavior to her "attraction" to Laird Ewen because she wants to return (alth
Anne
Apr 01, 2011 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I have said before, I do not believe in time travel, but the story was pretty good. Now if i could go back with about 55 years knocked off my life, it might interest me-LOL.
I had to laugh, and Sharon Cathcart, you will get a kick out of this-the laird rode a coal black stallion with nothing but a hind RED sock??? I have never seen such a horse. Has anyone else. Oh, well, Fantasy has its License!!!! Maybe she got it mixed up with a bay and reversed the colours-LOL.
Carolyn
Currently re-reading.
Lori McD
3-3.5 stars
Rating: PG/R for adult themes and violence

This book was familiar to me... Did I read it before and forget to review it on GR?

It's a quick and easy read for thos who enjoy time-travel romances. It didn't overly stretch my suspension of disbelief, nor did it make me cringe by making Ye Olde Scotland too contemporary.

In fact, it whet my appetite with the mazeand the falling-through-time... and the song that her gran sang to her about the lad who saved the larid. Make you wonder if she ca
Ruth Anne
Not what I expected

Unfortunately, the inner dialogue and the frankly weird modern day thinking of the protagonist took me out of the beautiful experience that the book should have given me. I do believe there is much hope for the writer, if she studies great books. It was a painful book to finish. Sorry that someone compared it to Outlander. Not happening.
Shelby
Jan 10, 2017 Shelby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Outlander read-alike
Janie Pendleton
Jul 02, 2008 Janie Pendleton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves time traveling historical romances
Recommended to Janie by: wal mart
Tammy
May 12, 2013 Tammy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The problem with this particular book, for me, was that I've read an almost identical version of it before. Almost the entire book was a replica of a book I read in the late 90's. The differences between the two were so slight that I actually thought I might have been re-reading the book. However, there were just enough differences (plus the proof of publishing dates) to prove to me that it was, indeed, a different book.

I love Veronica Wolff books but honestly, I think this one might be rather
Julie
Oct 01, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've had this book plus three others by Veronica Wolff. They got shoved behind some other books and I recently unearthed them. I had never read anything by this author, so I read a few reviews of this book. I was disappointed to see so many lukewarm reviews. But, I decided to read a few chapters, then decide if it was worth continuing. It didn't take long before I found myself absorbed in the story.
Lily, finds a maze while on vacation in Scotland. She got lost in the maze, and panics. The earth
Amanda
Book #44 of 2009

This one has been hanging around for awhile, but I wasn't sure I wanted to read it. After I read Veronica Wolff's Sword of the Highlands and it left me feeling strangly sad for a few days, I wasn't sure if this would be worth the read or not. Now that I've finished it, I'm glad I picked it up and I liked it more than Sword of the Highlands.

One of the reasons I read this now is that Veronica Wolff lives in California and in the April Reading Challenge, item #3 is Read a book whos
Ana M. Román
Apr 07, 2015 Ana M. Román rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me ha gustado. Claro que cuando se trata de un libro dónde la heroína viaja en el tiempo para ir a toparse con un guerrero fuerte, valiente, descaminsado y en kilt, toda mi imparcialidad se esfuma como por arte de magia. Muy mala tiene que ser la hitoria y la escritora para que no me guste y este no ha sido el caso.

Cierto es que quizás resuelven el asunto de los casacas rojas y el clan vecino muy rápidamente, de hecho prácticamente tienes que hacer un salto de fe en cuanto a cómo, dónde y por qu
Vanessa
May 03, 2010 Vanessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm sure there are better Scotland historicals out there with a lot more character and plot depth. Maybe I just haven't read enough of them, but I did like this book. I do prefer Kinley MacGregor, and it's not the Belgariad by David Eddings, but not every book has to be like that.

It was probably more like 3 stars for literary style, but my enjoyment level was closer to a 3 1/2 and since I read the thing in one day, I opted for the 4.
Jennette
This was pretty much what I expected: a decent "world build" a few historical concepts and references tossed in to make the time travel seem acceptable, strong modern woman who can't navigate older social norms, seemingly over the top manly man with title, land, clan and money that turns out to have some redeeming sensitive quality that appeals to the modern women and HEA. Yep typical. I had fun reading it. I wasn't distracted by a bunch of errors or flow or overly annoying characters. I'm not d ...more
Netanella
Nice read for a Scottish time travel romance, but nothing spectacular. Modern day girl takes a vacation to Scotland and enters a time portal to Scotland in the age of Cromwell. She meets the local laird and becomes his son's nanny. Theirs is no angsty romance, just quiet and straight forward and sweet. There are truly funny scenes in the book, such as the dinner party scene where Ewan gives up the badger tooth as his personal item in a game of Forfeits. Recommended for fans of the genre, otherwi ...more
April   ♥"LOS" ♥
I really started this series expecting it to be like a Karen Marie Moning or Donna Grant series, so I had some pretty high expectations. Unfortunately it didn't quite match up. Although by the end of the story I had an attachment to the characters, it took a very long time. Overall it was a good storyline, I just felt like Ewen and Lily kept repeating the same actions over and over again. I will probably read the next book in the series before I give up on it.
Amanda The Book Slayer
Lily finds herself in the Highlands after her Grandmothers death. This was a way for her to say good-bye to her. Lily ends up exploring the highlands and ends up weaving her way in an ongoing maze. Lily winds up to 1654. Ewen finds her as she is fainting from the time travel. He takes her home and helps her adjust. They realize that they can't fight the attraction and fall head over heels for each other. She saves him and he saves her from a lonely, lonely life.
Kendra
Finally got my hands on the beginning of the series and rolled through them. It was highly amusing since I had just started watching an English history DVD called Clans of Scotland, and this character, Ewen Cameron, is discussed in the book. The author does a tremendous job with this entire series historically, but with her own unique twist. Enjoyed the back in time theme for this series.

Bk. 1, Ewen and Lily
Sofia Sundfors
This book was not to my liking but I can still appreciate the book for other reasons; which is why it's been given two stars. If half-stars were possible though, it would have gotten 1.5 stars.

I thought the plot was good; but written badly. Themes were likeable but not as enjoyable as they could've been.

I would not recommend this book; that is if not the one I'm recommending it to, specifically asked for something like this book, then I would recommend this one.
Keely
May 28, 2008 Keely rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book. However, other than Historical time-travel romance, our writer is not on the level of Moning, and very very few could be compared to Gabaldon.

For a Debut book however, I was very impressed. The story sucked you in. I couldn't put the book down. The character development was wonderful. It was a great love story.
Brittany
I actually really enjoyed this book. I have read many highlander-time travel novels and while there have definitely been better it was still an enjoyable read. Most of the novels I have read are about twenty somethings but this novel was about an older couple than I am used to. It was a nice change of pace!
N
Good plot idea. Way too much unnecessary description. I actually didn't realize it at first but I was skipping paragraphs! The best part of this book is that the heroine really is strong on her own. Hate sappy weak heroines!
Denise
Sep 17, 2009 Denise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Time travel where she goes back from the 21st century to the 17th century. Full of Red Coats and Highland warring abound. She is quite the tough scrappy lady and was in more than one deathly battle that she walked away from.
Pamela(AllHoney)
A time travel novel that takes Lily Hamlin back in time to 1654 Scotland. There she meets Ewen, Laird of the Cameron Clan.

I'm sorry to say it was just okay for me. Nothing special. Good enough for 3 stars but no more.
Julie
Sep 09, 2015 Julie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Touted as one that Diana Gabaldon and Karen Marie Moning fans will love - well I didn't. I didn't dislike it, but it was just kind of blah.

• Highlander's Challenge (Challenge, #1)
  • Highland Destiny (Magic of the Highlands, #1)
  • Highland Rogue (Highland Dream, #4)
  • Lord of the Isles (Men of the Isles, #1)
  • Warrior's Redemption (Warrior, #1)
  • Highland Knight
  • Binding Vows (MacCoinnich Time Travel Trilogy, #1)
  • Claimed by the Highland Warrior (MacKinloch Clan, #1)
  • Highlander in Her Dreams (Highlander #2)
  • Awaken the Highland Warrior (Connor Clan, #1)
  • A Laird for all Time
  • Highland Dragon
  • Seducing a Scottish Bride (MacKenzie, #6)
  • The Return of Black Douglas (Black Douglas, #2)
Once upon a time there was a girl. She liked horses and Shaun Cassidy and Gunne Sax dresses, like many of the other girls her age. She had a big, loving family and, since their dad was in the Navy, they moved around. A lot. She was shy, though, and generally preferred a day spent in the company of her Trixie Belden books to running around with the other kids, whom she really didn’t know very well ...more
More about Veronica Wolff...

Highlands (4 books)
  • Sword of the Highlands (Highlands, #2)
  • Warrior of the Highlands (Highlands, #3)
  • Lord of the Highlands (Highlands, #4)