Master of the Highlands (Highlands; Veronica Wolff #1)

Master of the Highlands (Highlands #1)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  695 ratings  ·  33 reviews
A modern woman finds true love across the ocean-and across time.

A fabulous debut for fans of Diana Gabaldon and Karen Marie Moning

Lily Hamlin is making a pilgrimage to Scotland with hopes for some direction in her life. There she discovers an overgrown maze and a strange stone map-and lands back in time, in the Lochaber of 1654.

Ewen, Chief of the Clan Cameron, must s...more
Published February 5th 2008 by Penguin Group (USA)

To ask other readers questions about Master of the Highlands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Master of the Highlands

Kathrynn
Apr 14, 2009 Kathrynn rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Fiction Time-Travel
To say that I found Master of the Highlands disappointing would be an understatement. I went into reading it expecting a sexy highlander with modern heroine who went back in time. What I got was that, but with a lot of extraneous fiction thrown in and very little romance between the h/h.

At times, felt the author spent too much time explaining the character's actions when she already covered it. For me, this author has a lot of potential, just lay off the long extrapolations a bit and beef up th...more
Susan
Pretty good book. Having devoted years to her job, Lily has finally realized that something is missing. She takes a trip to Scotland, visiting places that her grandmother talked about and hoping to find some peace. While looking for something different to sketch she wanders into a strange maze and comes out of it more than 350 years in the past. She's rescued by Ewen who takes her to his home while he tries to figure out how to get her back where she belongs. Meanwhile, he is trying to protect h...more
TJ
Eh, not bad but nothing to make it stand out even a little above the bazillion highlander books out there, especially not against other time-travel highlander books put out by the likes of Kurland, Bybee or Moning.

The heroine, Lily, is supposed to be a modern day woman thrown back into 17th century Scotland. Now, I know that would be a HUGE adjustment but this chick is cranky all. the. time! She attributes her horrid behavior to her "attraction" to Laird Ewen because she wants to return (alth...more
Anne
As I have said before, I do not believe in time travel, but the story was pretty good. Now if i could go back with about 55 years knocked off my life, it might interest me-LOL.
I had to laugh, and Sharon Cathcart, you will get a kick out of this-the laird rode a coal black stallion with nothing but a hind RED sock??? I have never seen such a horse. Has anyone else. Oh, well, Fantasy has its License!!!! Maybe she got it mixed up with a bay and reversed the colours-LOL.
Sofia Sundfors
All in all, it was a good book; but...!
I wanted more action from Lily and less "Come and help me" or "I'm hurt and unconscious". I wanted her to channel more of the modern-day-spirit than she did. otherwise the characters was good.

The plot, though, I thought that was a bit weak. I wanted a little bit more mystery to the story, and not to be able to foresee all the happenings in the book. Apart from the maze, which was a bit drawn-out for my taste, there was almost nothing supernatural about the...more
Janie Pendleton
Jul 02, 2008 Janie Pendleton rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves time traveling historical romances
Recommended to Janie by: wal mart
Julie
I've had this book plus three others by Veronica Wolff. They got shoved behind some other books and I recently unearthed them. I had never read anything by this author, so I read a few reviews of this book. I was disappointed to see so many lukewarm reviews. But, I decided to read a few chapters, then decide if it was worth continuing. It didn't take long before I found myself absorbed in the story.
Lily, finds a maze while on vacation in Scotland. She got lost in the maze, and panics. The earth...more
Tammy
The problem with this particular book, for me, was that I've read an almost identical version of it before. Almost the entire book was a replica of a book I read in the late 90's. The differences between the two were so slight that I actually thought I might have been re-reading the book. However, there were just enough differences (plus the proof of publishing dates) to prove to me that it was, indeed, a different book.

I love Veronica Wolff books but honestly, I think this one might be rather...more
April   ♥"Lover of Stu" ♥
I really started this series expecting it to be like a Karen Marie Moning or Donna Grant series, so I had some pretty high expectations. Unfortunately it didn't quite match up. Although by the end of the story I had an attachment to the characters, it took a very long time. Overall it was a good storyline, I just felt like Ewen and Lily kept repeating the same actions over and over again. I will probably read the next book in the series before I give up on it.
Amanda
Book #44 of 2009

This one has been hanging around for awhile, but I wasn't sure I wanted to read it. After I read Veronica Wolff's Sword of the Highlands and it left me feeling strangly sad for a few days, I wasn't sure if this would be worth the read or not. Now that I've finished it, I'm glad I picked it up and I liked it more than Sword of the Highlands.

One of the reasons I read this now is that Veronica Wolff lives in California and in the April Reading Challenge, item #3 is Read a book whos...more
Jilly
Billed as being great for Gabaldon and Moning fans, I found this book to be a little disappointing. I'd read in a review that Wolff wrote more historic fiction than romance which I was hoping for because pf my love of Outlander. And while I don't think Wolff focused on the romance, I do think she focused more on the characters and the goings on of the main characters over anything too historic.

Having said that, I don't think the story bad and knowing there are more books gives me some hope there...more
Vanessa
I'm sure there are better Scotland historicals out there with a lot more character and plot depth. Maybe I just haven't read enough of them, but I did like this book. I do prefer Kinley MacGregor, and it's not the Belgariad by David Eddings, but not every book has to be like that.

It was probably more like 3 stars for literary style, but my enjoyment level was closer to a 3 1/2 and since I read the thing in one day, I opted for the 4.
Netanella
Nice read for a Scottish time travel romance, but nothing spectacular. Modern day girl takes a vacation to Scotland and enters a time portal to Scotland in the age of Cromwell. She meets the local laird and becomes his son's nanny. Theirs is no angsty romance, just quiet and straight forward and sweet. There are truly funny scenes in the book, such as the dinner party scene where Ewan gives up the badger tooth as his personal item in a game of Forfeits. Recommended for fans of the genre, otherwi...more
Amanda The Book Slayer
Lily finds herself in the Highlands after her Grandmothers death. This was a way for her to say good-bye to her. Lily ends up exploring the highlands and ends up weaving her way in an ongoing maze. Lily winds up to 1654. Ewen finds her as she is fainting from the time travel. He takes her home and helps her adjust. They realize that they can't fight the attraction and fall head over heels for each other. She saves him and he saves her from a lonely, lonely life.
Kendra
Finally got my hands on the beginning of the series and rolled through them. It was highly amusing since I had just started watching an English history DVD called Clans of Scotland, and this character, Ewen Cameron, is discussed in the book. The author does a tremendous job with this entire series historically, but with her own unique twist. Enjoyed the back in time theme for this series.

Bk. 1, Ewen and Lily
Keely
This was a great book. However, other than Historical time-travel romance, our writer is not on the level of Moning, and very very few could be compared to Gabaldon.

For a Debut book however, I was very impressed. The story sucked you in. I couldn't put the book down. The character development was wonderful. It was a great love story.
Brittany
I actually really enjoyed this book. I have read many highlander-time travel novels and while there have definitely been better it was still an enjoyable read. Most of the novels I have read are about twenty somethings but this novel was about an older couple than I am used to. It was a nice change of pace!
Denise
Time travel where she goes back from the 21st century to the 17th century. Full of Red Coats and Highland warring abound. She is quite the tough scrappy lady and was in more than one deathly battle that she walked away from.
Pamela(AllHoney)
A time travel novel that takes Lily Hamlin back in time to 1654 Scotland. There she meets Ewen, Laird of the Cameron Clan.

I'm sorry to say it was just okay for me. Nothing special. Good enough for 3 stars but no more.
Julie
Touted as one that Diana Gabaldon and Karen Marie Moning fans will love - well I didn't. I didn't dislike it, but it was just kind of blah.

N
Good plot idea. Way too much unnecessary description. I actually didn't realize it at first but I was skipping paragraphs! The best part of this book is that the heroine really is strong on her own. Hate sappy weak heroines!
Tara
a typical time travel, highland romance story. It didn't stand out from any others that I have read. But it wasn't the worst either!
Staci
This book has a time-travel plot that doesn't quite work at all times but is an okay historical romance.
Deidre
I would rate this between a 3 and 4 star. It was entertaining and the herion held her own :o)
Michelle
local rom author, loved it!, like outlander w/o hist narrative; witty, sassy heroine
Michelle
Sorry, but a waste of time. The story had potential but didn't meet my expectations.
Beccie
A quick read. Liked the time travel romance and the characters.
Nancie_belikov
This book is awsome loved it from start to finish
Emma
May 11, 2010 Emma rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Emma by: purplepansy31@hotmail.co.uk
Shelves: veronica-wolff
Ewen, Chief of the Clan Cameron & Lily Hamlin
Sharon
An entertaining enough read.
  • Highlander's Challenge (Challenge, #1)
  • Highland Rogue (Highland Dream, #4)
  • Highland Destiny (Magic of the Highlands, #1)
  • Lord of the Isles (Men of the Isles, #1)
  • Claimed by the Highland Warrior (MacKinloch Clan, #1)
  • Highlander's Curse (Daughters of the Glen, #8)
  • Binding Vows (MacCoinnich Time Travel Trilogy, #1)
  • A Laird for All Time
  • Return of the Highlander (Immortal Warriors, #1)
  • Highlander in Her Dreams (Highlander #2)
  • Awaken the Highland Warrior (Connor Clan, #1)
  • Highland Knight
  • Devil in a Kilt (MacKenzie, #1)
  • The Return of Black Douglas (Black Douglas, #2)
  • To Wed A Highlander (McTiernay Brothers, #2)
  • Highland Dragon
Once upon a time there was a girl. She liked horses and Shaun Cassidy and Gunne Sax dresses, like many of the other girls her age. She had a big, loving family and, since their dad was in the Navy, they moved around. A lot. She was shy, though, and generally preferred a day spent in the company of her Trixie Belden books to running around with the other kids, whom she really didn’t know very well...more
More about Veronica Wolff...
Isle of Night (The Watchers, #1) Vampire's Kiss (The Watchers, #2) Blood Fever (The Watchers, #3) The Keep (The Watchers, #4) Sword of the Highlands (Highlands, #2)