Start by marking “Criminal Minds: Sociopaths, Serial Killers, and Other Deviants” as Want to Read:
Criminal Minds: Sociopaths, Serial Killers, and Other Deviants

Criminal Minds: Sociopaths, Serial Killers, and Other Deviants

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  341 ratings  ·  41 reviews
An authorized tie-in to the popular TV show Criminal MindsMost episodes of Criminal Minds feature a briefing where the show's team of FBI profilers defines the type of criminal they're looking for and provides some real-life examples. This book tells the story of those examples.

Published to coincide with the release of season five of Criminal Minds on DVD
Organized by type
Published August 1st 2010 by Wiley (first published July 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Criminal Minds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Criminal Minds

Susanne
Me: Whoa. All these horrible people. Sure shakes your faith in humanity. Must be near the end soon.

*checks Kindle progress*

Me: THIS IS STILL CHAPTER ONE??

------

So, in short, this book is chock full of information about criminals who have been mentioned on Criminal Minds. It also has some photographs from different Criminal Minds episodes. That's the extent of the tie-in between the book and the television show.

Informative read, but very, very dark.
Billy
I was disappointed with this book. It contained some general information regarding some of the serial killers that were used as inspirations or mentioned within the Criminal Minds episodes. However there were some inaccurate references to Criminal Minds episodes and the author came across as very opionated. I also expected to read more about the serial criminals crimes, but the book concentrates more on their background.
Love the TV Show. Book was not quite what I was expecting. I needed to read something less dark. Might try to read again at some point.
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
Definitely not a fun late night read.
Jen
More like 3.5 stars. It was a good book but hard to read because of the reality of it all.
Julie
This was a really informative and well written book. I don't know why people are giving it less stars because it was "gruesome" or "dark"...well it's a book on sociopaths and serial killers so that's kinda to be expected. Either way I didn't think anything said was uncharacteristically disgusting or gross, but maybe I'm just numb to it all/knew what they did before reading the book. Regardless, its an interesting read that clearly took a while to categorize and research which episode said what. ...more
Regina
Interesting but ultimately somewhat disappointing book about the most notorious criminals. The disappointments came mostly from the tie in to the tv show being superficial at best and references to some of the episodes being downright wrong. I will admit to being a gigantic nerd for this show and know that I may be nit-picking but reading captions to pictures (which note to the publishers, were not "stunning") that referenced the wrong episode or having the point of a chapter being summed up wit ...more
Virginia Cabrera
i think this book is awesome if you like thriller suspense. its david rossi,aaron hotchner,emily prentis,dereck morgan,dr spencer reid Penelope Garcia and JJ Jareau.they fight crime trying to find people that have kidnapped tortur killed and raped they mostly find the criminals and some cases are unsolved this is really a crazy book how people can do this to other people.they all work together as a group they never let each other down.its sad how in part of the book hotchner formal wife die it k ...more
Melanie
This is the perfect companion to the television series. Some episodes feature likenesses to actual events or serial killers themselves. Lesser known phobias and phelias are introduced as well. Who knew there were people out there who get excited(ok, the wrong kind of excitement....) out of natural disasters? There are. And it gets weirder. The truly scary part is that the terms are real and someone out there actually has these...abnormalities. This book, as well as the show, does an incredible j ...more
Jenna
I have been an avid reader of true-crime books since before it was probably appropriate for a kid my age to be reading them. I love the show, Criminal Minds. This book intertwined the show with the various deviants they mention on the show in reference to the case they are working. I am very familiar with serial killers so I was familiar with all the ones discussed in the book. It is a good book for people who love Criminal Minds but are not so familiar when they mention a true life case.
Toni
I believe Criminal Minds is an outstanding mystery, thriller. Criminal Minds is about a great group of FBI agents who define and profile sexual predators seeking to gruesomely harm their victims. This TV show is strongly written with an outstanding group of case members. Watching the TV show Criminal Minds have you wanting to watch more, the cast members individually standout, play action scenes, and preform tense interrogations. Criminal Minds main focus is solving crimes, it have you believin ...more
Andrew
I love Criminal Minds, and I love reading and reseaching about serial killers and the like. (Yes I'm kind of creepy). Therefore, I was really excited for this book. However the book had some major issues. It was a good book as an introduction and told me about a few killers I was not fully aware of. That is about where the benefits stopped. The tie in to Criminal Minds was pointless. I'm sure it was done as a marketing thing, but the tie ins were often just pointless and stupid. The entries on t ...more
Alena Marie
Amazing. Really detailed and gives you good insight. I took my time reading and enjoyed the book, despite all the horrendous people depicted in it.
Nelly Santanna
You won't learn a lot if you're already interest in serial killers and theirs story. But it's fun to see the link between reality and the show. Lot of sick people out here...
Ariadne .
I was really curious about this book because not only because it is related to a show I'm a fan of, but also because it is a factual one and well, it's a topic that I wasn't very keen to read. However, it is a well-written book, not too gorey, not too gross, although there were times when I'll admit I couldn't read on and had to stop. I thought, because of the title, that the book was more related to the TV show and I wish I'd seen more about that.
Alan
Loved the book, as a fan of sick serial killers it was very easy to get through. I loved how it was all separated and organized so you go back and read the chapters you liked. But then again I'm OCD hehe
It was very well written, describing what they did and then how maybe their childhood affected them in relation to their crimes. A must for fans of Criminal Minds :P
Bree
I started reading this book a few months ago and I couldn't get into it, so I stopped reading at page 50. I picked it up again last week and flew through it. There's a few boring chapters, and I had read a lot of books about the people they talk about, but It was still interesting. Not fantastic, but worth a read.
Rebeka
Excellent book! It was a great mix of the true crimes and the episodes. Nice job of tying killers with the episodes they were mentioned. Now I just really want to watch the first four or five seasons of Criminal Minds again since the tidbits about the episodes were only just enough to get me interested!
Cate (The Professional Fangirl)
As a fan of the show, it was a worthwhile read. Of course, I am also interested in true crime and the likes so there was never a dull moment. It is basically an overview on serial killers. It was also interesting because the book mentioned parallels between the reel and the real.
Alexis
For someone whom has never seen the show this is a fantastic read. Marriotte gives an intriguing insight to the real world monsters that most criminal psychology books lack. If you're interested in the field, pick this up. If you're interested in the show, pick this up.
Kaitlin
It was okay. Not what I expected, though. The ties between the book and the show were really just the cover, the few pictures from the show, and the occasional "this character did this" blurb. I did enjoy the shortened summaries about each killer, though.
Mandy
This book provides general overviews of a whole host of real cases but I didn't think it was very well written. Somewhat interesting but a whole lot disturbing - I'm glad to have finished it so I can move onto something more uplifting.
Ying
The book itself is very easy to read and understand.It uses case studies of famous killers and shows what their actions. The book is a fasanating look into the mind of criminals. I would recommend this book to any Criminal Minds fan.
Eyehavenofilter
Interesting, but not as informative as I hoped it would be.
It tied into the show exclusively. Classifying each type of criminal,
and relating it to the show that the story in which it was portrayed.
It was a quick and easy read.
Amy
This is a very interesting look at our past serial killers, etc. The only issue that I had with the book was that I ended up having to stop reading a few times to bring myself back to reality. The book does get pretty gruesome in detail.
Jenna
Interesting but got a little repetitious as each serial killer got a few pages each (at most) and the same formula was followed (birth, killings, apprehension). Still, a good one-stop source for those interested.
Trish
An overview of the cases mentioned on the television show and a background on the serial killers mentioned that are real and their crimes. It had other criminals mentioned as well overall an interesting read.
Holli
some parts of it were mildly disturbing (after all it is a book describing serial killers and how they took their victims) but it was also very informative and hard to put down :)
Ellen Maze
Jan 29, 2011 Ellen Maze marked it as to-read
My husband bought this for me today. I love the TV show and the character Hotch... we'll see how I like this more factual book!
Jenny
Feb 10, 2011 Jenny marked it as to-read
Read this during the Super Bowl (Feb. 6th) and looked up from it for the commercials.

Didn't pick it up again until....

Book Lovers UnInt...: Criminal Minds by Max Allan Collins 7 15 Oct 25, 2011 02:42PM
  • Finishing School
  • The Serial Killer Whisperer: How One Man's Tragedy Helped Unlock the Deadliest Secrets of the World's Most Terrifying Killers
  • The Forensic Psychology of Criminal Minds
  • Baby X: Britain's Child Abusers Brought To Justice
  • The Profiler: My Life Hunting Serial Killers and Psychopaths
  • Going Postal: Rage, Murder, and Rebellion from Reagan's Workplaces to Clinton's Columbine and Beyond
  • Fetal Abduction: The True Story of Multiple Personalities and Murder
  • A Criminal History of Mankind
  • Alien Hand Syndrome and Other Too-Weird-Not-To-Be-True Stories
  • Secrets in the Cellar
  • Living with Evil
  • Dexter and Philosophy: Mind over Spatter
  • Gods of Mischief: My Undercover Vendetta to Take Down the Vagos Outlaw Motorcycle Gang
  • The Casebook of Forensic Detection: How Science Solved 100 of the World's Most Baffling Crimes
  • Rothstein: The Life, Times, and Murder of the Criminal Genius Who Fixed the 1919 World Series
  • Under the Bridge: The True Story of the Murder of Reena Virk
  • Guantanamo: My Journey
  • Journey Into Darkness
Award-winning author Jeffrey J. Mariotte has published more than 30 novels, including horror epic The Slab, award nominated teen horror quartet Witch Season, and the recent supernatural thrillers River Runs Red and Missing White Girl, in addition to tie-in novels and many, many comic books. He is also co-owner of specialty bookstore Mysterious Galaxy in San Diego. He lives in southeastern Arizona. ...more
More about Jeff Mariotte...
Witch's Canyon (Supernatural, #2) Angel Omnibus Witch Season: Summer & Fall The Xander Years, Vol. 2 (The Xander Years, #2) Mirror Image (Charmed, #19)