Start by marking “Criminal Minds: Sociopaths, Serial Killers, and Other Deviants” as Want to Read:
Criminal Minds: Sociopaths, Serial Killers, and Other Deviants

Criminal Minds: Sociopaths, Serial Killers, and Other Deviants

An authorized tie-in to the popular TV show Criminal MindsMost episodes of Criminal Minds feature a briefing where the show's team of FBI profilers defines the type of criminal they're looking for and provides some real-life examples. This book tells the story of those examples.

Published to coincide with the release of season five of Criminal Minds on DVD
Organized by type
Published August 1st 2010 by Wiley (first published July 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Criminal Minds, please sign up.

donny The careers are uninteresting and serious it you to know that there are some crazy people out in this world

Susanne
Aug 11, 2013 Susanne rated it liked it
Me: Whoa. All these horrible people. Sure shakes your faith in humanity. Must be near the end soon.

*checks Kindle progress*

Me: THIS IS STILL CHAPTER ONE??

------

So, in short, this book is chock full of information about criminals who have been mentioned on Criminal Minds. It also has some photographs from different Criminal Minds episodes. That's the extent of the tie-in between the book and the television show.

Informative read, but very, very dark.
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
Nopers!
Billy
Jan 19, 2011 Billy rated it it was ok
I was disappointed with this book. It contained some general information regarding some of the serial killers that were used as inspirations or mentioned within the Criminal Minds episodes. However there were some inaccurate references to Criminal Minds episodes and the author came across as very opionated. I also expected to read more about the serial criminals crimes, but the book concentrates more on their background.
Feb 08, 2016 Sarah rated it it was amazing
5 stars

I've been saving this book for when I was in a reading slump and as I've just tried to work my way through 3 books I just did not like and couldn't get into, I knew it was the right time to break this little beauty out!

I love Criminal Minds and really enjoy reading about serial killers and the people who search for and catch them.
Sep 23, 2012 Sarah rated it it was ok
Shelves: incomplete
Love the TV Show. Book was not quite what I was expecting. I needed to read something less dark. Might try to read again at some point.
Neri.
Oct 23, 2015 Neri. rated it really liked it
Interesting take on serial killers and their biographies.
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
Sep 12, 2014 Amanda [Novel Addiction] rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Definitely not a fun late night read.
Jen
May 30, 2013 Jen rated it liked it
More like 3.5 stars. It was a good book but hard to read because of the reality of it all.
Erica
Feb 23, 2017 Erica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I could not put this down. Mariotte provides clear facts in a logical but intriguing manner. Definitely would recommend to anyone interested in criminal psychology, either professionally or recreationally.
Nirmal
Oct 03, 2016 Nirmal rated it liked it
Amazing read!!! I have always been fascinated by serial killers. What makes them tick? This book is very informative and easy read.

Curious about serial killers and their minds. Read this for starter and then move to Douglas and stone.
kait -
Dec 22, 2016 kait - rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who watch criminal minds of you may be lost at the mention of characters
i really like how this book connected those mentioned in the series to real life killers. the only things i disliked is how the book was structured. the chapters were really hard to see the difference. the organizations was a little confusing for the book.
overall rating 4.6/5
Jack Shanks
Apr 10, 2016 Jack Shanks rated it liked it
Actual rating: 3.5 stars.

I'm not typically large on non-fiction books - however, I do enjoy reading about serial killers and, well, Criminal Minds.

Jeff Mariotte writes well. His authoring is in depth, very well detailed. However, I do feel that the layout of the book was a bit overwhelming. Sure, the content and topics covered can be confronting but this wasn't an issue for me. The huge slabs of text were just so eww.
The chapters felt like they were excruciatingly long, the slabs were tedious
Virginia Cabrera
i think this book is awesome if you like thriller suspense. its david rossi,aaron hotchner,emily prentis,dereck morgan,dr spencer reid Penelope Garcia and JJ Jareau.they fight crime trying to find people that have kidnapped tortur killed and raped they mostly find the criminals and some cases are unsolved this is really a crazy book how people can do this to other people.they all work together as a group they never let each other down.its sad how in part of the book hotchner formal wife die it k ...more
Regina
Feb 02, 2012 Regina rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Interesting but ultimately somewhat disappointing book about the most notorious criminals. The disappointments came mostly from the tie in to the tv show being superficial at best and references to some of the episodes being downright wrong. I will admit to being a gigantic nerd for this show and know that I may be nit-picking but reading captions to pictures (which note to the publishers, were not "stunning") that referenced the wrong episode or having the point of a chapter being summed up wit ...more
Charissa Wilkinson
Sep 08, 2015 Charissa Wilkinson rated it really liked it
Shelves: educational, adult
Overview: Pretty much what we have here is a tie-in to the series “Criminal Minds.” As such we have quotes and still shots from the show, as well as profiles--pardon the pun--for the serial killers and others mentioned on the show.

Likes: The still shots and quotes were fun.

Dislikes: One: adoption doesn’t lead to killing. Mr. Mariotte’s fascination with all of the adopted serial killers was a bit aggravating for me. Two: some of the quotes and jobs referenced from the show were mis-represented. I
Andrew
Feb 04, 2013 Andrew rated it it was ok
I love Criminal Minds, and I love reading and reseaching about serial killers and the like. (Yes I'm kind of creepy). Therefore, I was really excited for this book. However the book had some major issues. It was a good book as an introduction and told me about a few killers I was not fully aware of. That is about where the benefits stopped. The tie in to Criminal Minds was pointless. I'm sure it was done as a marketing thing, but the tie ins were often just pointless and stupid. The entries on t ...more
Toni
Oct 28, 2013 Toni rated it it was amazing
I believe Criminal Minds is an outstanding mystery, thriller. Criminal Minds is about a great group of FBI agents who define and profile sexual predators seeking to gruesomely harm their victims. This TV show is strongly written with an outstanding group of case members. Watching the TV show Criminal Minds have you wanting to watch more, the cast members individually standout, play action scenes, and preform tense interrogations. Criminal Minds main focus is solving crimes, it have you believin ...more
Mariah
Dec 27, 2015 Mariah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I had high hopes for this book. I anticipated a story using the characters from the show, but in reality this was the opposite. This book goes into detail about dozens of known serial killers and the like, then tying them into episodes of the show Criminal Minds simply because they're referenced at some point during the episodes. It was cool to see screenshots from the show in the beginnings of the chapters, but I wish there was more of the show in this book. Granted, I did like learning about t ...more
Melanie
Jan 18, 2014 Melanie rated it it was amazing
This is the perfect companion to the television series. Some episodes feature likenesses to actual events or serial killers themselves. Lesser known phobias and phelias are introduced as well. Who knew there were people out there who get excited(ok, the wrong kind of excitement....) out of natural disasters? There are. And it gets weirder. The truly scary part is that the terms are real and someone out there actually has these...abnormalities. This book, as well as the show, does an incredible j ...more
Abbey
Oct 17, 2015 Abbey rated it really liked it
I picked this book up because Criminal Minds is my favorite show and the idea of learning a little bit more about the serial killers that inspired the episodes from seasons 1-5 was cool to me. This book, while definitely full of information, was a very simplistic look at said killers. All in all, I thought it was a good basic overview of these horrible crimes and I liked how they tied in the particular killers with the episodes.
Jenna
Jan 14, 2014 Jenna rated it really liked it
I have been an avid reader of true-crime books since before it was probably appropriate for a kid my age to be reading them. I love the show, Criminal Minds. This book intertwined the show with the various deviants they mention on the show in reference to the case they are working. I am very familiar with serial killers so I was familiar with all the ones discussed in the book. It is a good book for people who love Criminal Minds but are not so familiar when they mention a true life case.
Ariadne .
Feb 27, 2011 Ariadne . rated it really liked it
I was really curious about this book because not only because it is related to a show I'm a fan of, but also because it is a factual one and well, it's a topic that I wasn't very keen to read. However, it is a well-written book, not too gorey, not too gross, although there were times when I'll admit I couldn't read on and had to stop. I thought, because of the title, that the book was more related to the TV show and I wish I'd seen more about that.
Rebeka
Dec 30, 2012 Rebeka rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-crime
Excellent book! It was a great mix of the true crimes and the episodes. Nice job of tying killers with the episodes they were mentioned. Now I just really want to watch the first four or five seasons of Criminal Minds again since the tidbits about the episodes were only just enough to get me interested!
Bree
Jan 03, 2012 Bree rated it liked it
I started reading this book a few months ago and I couldn't get into it, so I stopped reading at page 50. I picked it up again last week and flew through it. There's a few boring chapters, and I had read a lot of books about the people they talk about, but It was still interesting. Not fantastic, but worth a read.
Kristin Dahlman
Jul 02, 2015 Kristin Dahlman rated it liked it
Shelves: tv-film
I was really intrigued by the book. It toed the line between being a companion to the show and a history of serial killers. As it was a mixture of both, I was left wanting more from both sides. I would say it is a good starter book for someone who is interested in reading on crime but doesn't want to commit to a full book about 1 or 2 people.
Alan
Feb 06, 2011 Alan rated it it was amazing
Loved the book, as a fan of sick serial killers it was very easy to get through. I loved how it was all separated and organized so you go back and read the chapters you liked. But then again I'm OCD hehe
It was very well written, describing what they did and then how maybe their childhood affected them in relation to their crimes. A must for fans of Criminal Minds :P
Kaitlin
Nov 25, 2013 Kaitlin rated it liked it
It was okay. Not what I expected, though. The ties between the book and the show were really just the cover, the few pictures from the show, and the occasional "this character did this" blurb. I did enjoy the shortened summaries about each killer, though.
Amy
Jun 15, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it
This is a very interesting look at our past serial killers, etc. The only issue that I had with the book was that I ended up having to stop reading a few times to bring myself back to reality. The book does get pretty gruesome in detail.
Cate (The Professional Fangirl)
Mar 25, 2011 Cate (The Professional Fangirl) rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-reads, own
As a fan of the show, it was a worthwhile read. Of course, I am also interested in true crime and the likes so there was never a dull moment. It is basically an overview on serial killers. It was also interesting because the book mentioned parallels between the reel and the real.
Alexis
Mar 27, 2013 Alexis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, psych
For someone whom has never seen the show this is a fantastic read. Marriotte gives an intriguing insight to the real world monsters that most criminal psychology books lack. If you're interested in the field, pick this up. If you're interested in the show, pick this up.
Book Lovers UnInt...: Criminal Minds by Max Allan Collins 7 15 Oct 25, 2011 02:42PM
  • Finishing School
  • The Forensic Psychology of Criminal Minds
  • The Serial Killer Whisperer: How One Man's Tragedy Helped Unlock the Deadliest Secrets of the World's Most Terrifying Killers
  • The House That Hugh Laurie Built: An Unauthorized Biography and Episode Guide
  • Baby X: Britain's Child Abusers Brought To Justice
  • Alien Hand Syndrome and Other Too-Weird-Not-To-Be-True Stories
  • Fetal Abduction: The True Story of Multiple Personalities and Murder
  • Profiling: The Psychology of Catching Killers
  • Going Postal: Rage, Murder, and Rebellion from Reagan's Workplaces to Clinton's Columbine and Beyond
  • Mob Star: The Story of John Gotti
  • A Criminal History of Mankind
  • Living with Evil
  • The Profiler: My Life Hunting Serial Killers and Psychopaths
  • The Killer Book of True Crime: Incredible Stories, Facts and Trivia from the World of Murder and Mayhem
  • Criminology For Dummies
  • The Spy's Son: The True Story of the Highest-Ranking CIA Officer Ever Convicted of Espionage and the Son He Trained to Spy for Russia
Also writes as Jeff Mariotte

Jeffrey J. Mariotte is the bestselling, award-winning author of more than fifty novels, including thrillers Empty Rooms and The Devil's Bait, supernatural thrillers Season of the Wolf, Missing White Girl, River Runs Red, and Cold Black Hearts, horror epic The Slab, tand the Dark Vengeance teen horror quartet. His newest novel--written with wife and writing partner Marsh
More about Jeffrey J. Mariotte...

“Common early indicators of serial murder are bed-wetting, fire-starting, and animal torture, sometimes called the McDonald Triad” 0 likes