Start by marking “Shadow of Doubt (Newpointe 911, #2)” as Want to Read:
Shadow of Doubt (Newpointe 911, #2)

Shadow of Doubt (Newpointe 911 #2)

4.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,107 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews
A poisoned past. A bitter present.
Is Celia a murderer ... or a victim?
Detective Stan Shepherd lies comatose in the hospital, a victim of arsenic poisoning. The Newpointe police have a suspect: Celia Shepherd, Stan's wife.
Celia is no stranger to such charges. When her first husband died of poisoning, a technicality scuttled the case against her and Celia got of scot-free. N
Published July 27th 2009 by Zondervan (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Shadow of Doubt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow of Doubt

Madelyn
May 02, 2016 Madelyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a whirlwind. This one was even better than the first in the series. More mystery, evidence, reasoning, and logic. Don't get me wrong, the first one was full of that, but this book took it to a whole new level. Terri Blackstock is a definite favorite of mine, and I trust her unwaveringly as a clean Christian author, which is something I don't find very often. Give her a try! You won't be disappointed.
Hannah
First audiobook and new author=the new favorite way to take a weekend trip out to Dallas. I couldn't get the first in the series, so with my usual contempt of series order, I grabbed this one. I was immediately interested in Stan and Celia's plight, though I think Aunt Aggie stole the show on multiple occasions...especially her penchant for assault with purse!

This was my first Blackstock; while at times it felt wordy/overly descriptive, and a few characters made me want to knock them upside the
Valerie
Nov 28, 2012 Valerie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Think I have a new favorite author! The book was full of murder, suspense and romance...but it also had a spiritual side to it as well. If you are looking for thrillers to read by a Christian author, Terri Blackstock books are the ones to read! Can't wait to read the others I have by her!
Literary Strawberry
Listened to this on a road trip. Passed the time. We figured out who did it almost right from the beginning (story-wise, there was really only one person it could be), and the cops were pretty incompetent, but it was reasonably enjoyable. It helped keep the driver awake at the wheel when we were on the road past midnight, and that's what's really important.
Chris Unwin
Jun 22, 2015 Chris Unwin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club-books
Such a page turner mystery thriller. Loved the book. I've had this book on my Kindle for ages and can't believe it took be so long to read this author. This is the second book in the series. The first was good but this even better!
Lisa
May 28, 2015 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great suspense book. Terri Blackstock gave clues along the way about the attempted murder. It was one of those books you did not want to put down. This is the second book in the Newpointe 911 series.
Jeannie E. Hennig
Jan 28, 2014 Jeannie E. Hennig rated it it was amazing
A very good read.

As usual, I enjoyed this book by Terri Blackstock. She keeps your interest all the way through to the end. And I never have to worry about coming across foul language or steamy hot sex scenes. All her books are based on Christianity and her love of the Lord and his book. I read her books over and over again.
Patti
Apr 12, 2014 Patti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good book by Terri Blackstock! Stan Sheppard is poisoned and everyone in town thinks that his wife Celia is the guilty person. Even her Pastor thinks she is guilty for a short time. Celia's lawyer and friend develops a plan to draw the killer out and it just explodes from there. I really enjoyed this book!
Mimmsan
Jan 30, 2012 Mimmsan rated it it was ok
At first I couldn't put it down. But then the main character got really
annoying doing one self incriminating thing after the next.
Also, if she was innoncent, which we have to believe, there is only one suspect, her brother, to choose from. (after learning that her ex-boyfriend was in jail at the time)
Peggy
May 08, 2013 Peggy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Purchased books 3,4 & 5 of this series at the Jamerson YMCA book sale last year, found 1 & 2 at Bookshop on the Avenue on Thursday, April 25, 2013 - great series, each book better than the next.
Danielle
Dec 09, 2014 Danielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good story even though I guessed the perpetrator early on. The thing I like best about this author is that her characters are people who are pretty much like me! There are two things that really bug me though. One, she uses the word man a lot to begin and end sentences. "man, I don't know." "it's okay, man." etc. and it seems to be the male characters. Maybe it's her way of injecting masculinity. The other thing is that she repeats names. This is the third of her series I've read. They all hav ...more
Carolyn E
Jan 20, 2013 Carolyn E rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great story by Terri Blackstock. I love her books.
Nancy
Nov 07, 2009 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very faithfilled story. Main characters are police officers and fire fighters. Jealousy fuels the plot.
Connie
Sep 23, 2015 Connie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually started this book a couple of weeks ago and completed it 9/22/15. This is the first book I have read by Terri Blackstock. It was an easy read. There was enough mystery to make me want to finish it to find out "who done it", although I was pretty sure I knew about 1/2 way through the book. The angst brought about by "why is God letting this happen to me", the Christianity aspect was interesting, nice touch, but not overly preachy. I would read another as a "break" between other more in ...more
Suzan
Mar 13, 2013 Suzan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this series want to read again!
Janie  R. Freeman

Wow, this book reads fast, hard to put down, lots of suspense. Though, some of the police officers were so annoying, esp. Sid and Vern- I could have slapped them both! I fell in love in with Stan.
For people that called themselves Christians, it was surprising how this town of people judge and condemned one of the main characters, before she was given a trail. I think the main theme in this story was that we can get betrayed, hurt, deceived and let down by even our own loved ones, yet love and
Shacoria
This book starts off with action, which I love. There is no boring introduction. It just goes directly into the main plot of the story. This book clearly displays itself to be a work of Christian fiction. There is constant mention of praying. The book, however, is not annoying in its Christian undertones at first. In the beginning the Christian part of the book is sort of a background and not the main story. I think Celia's questioning of why god would put her through such misery is very honest. ...more
Nola Redd
Mar 26, 2008 Nola Redd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes a good, clean crime novel
As if almost losing your husband wasn’t bad enough, Celia Shepherd finds herself arrested for attempted murder. Once the police realize that her first husband died from the same method – poisoning – the case seems open-and-shut. But Celia insists that she is innocent, and only her attorney, Jill Clark, seems to believe her. The rest of the town of Newport views her with doubt and distress.

In Shadow of Doubt,the second book of the Newpointe 911 series, Terri Blackstock creates another murder myst
Dianne Sidebottom
Jan 23, 2015 Dianne Sidebottom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had read this story before but I wondered of myself if some of my perspective has changed in the meantime. We all may have family issues but this story changes that. I liked Stan's character how he tried to be a mediator between his wife Celia n family and believed in his wife while his colleagues wanted her locked away instead of looking at an unresolved coldcase. As for Dan n Jill maybe they're in the next story.
Carolyn
It was a good suspense book that kept me guessing. However, I found the main character's self-incriminating actions a bit irritating. And I got very tired of the police constantly believing the set-up "evidence." Seems like poor investigation skills to just follow the most "obvious" answer even when their gut and other circumstances should lead them elsewhere. So it was a frustrating, but intriguing read.
Pauline
Mar 29, 2015 Pauline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The main problem with this book is I couldn't put it down so some of my Saturday chores didn't get done and I could barely Von to bed without finishing it. Got up early on a Sunday Tom finish it. I haven't found anything by Blackstock I don't like. A well-crafted mystery I didn't figure out by page 80. A little bit of an abrupt ending but well worth it.
Miriam
May 20, 2016 Miriam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book. I like that the characters seem mostly believable. I think the first book was better though. It done me crazy how everyone turned so easily against the main suspect. I'm glad I don't have her friends. This is a clean book I wouldn't mind my teenagers reading.
Sheila Myers
Jul 26, 2016 Sheila Myers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
Great book! More than the mystery, I enjoyed how Terri Blackstock wrote about the way people gossip and how others so often choose to believe a person is guilty before all the facts are available. The story provides a valuable lesson we all need to learn.
Mandy Tucker
I like the characters in the Newpointe books. This book was a little predictable and moved at a slower pace than some of Blackstock's other work, I found myself bored with it at times. I did finish it and I'm sure I'll read the others, as well.
JoAnn
This was a good book but I liked the first one better. It was a little too drawn out and I figured out who the killer was by the 2nd chapter. But overall it was a good book. I look forward to reading the next one in the series.
Kim
Feb 01, 2015 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great suspense but I had a feeling I knew "who done it"! The scripture of 2Chornicles 20:15 was great encouragement to me! For the battle is not yours, but God's!
Kathy Marshall
Jun 10, 2015 Kathy Marshall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Newpointe 911 Series focuses on a small town outside of New Orleans and the various Public Safety personnel that serve the area. Emergency Medical Services, Fire Department, and Law Enforcement are all on display in the series. In this book, the author does a very good job of portraying the stress and conflict the providers and their families face. This particular book describes how a person's past catches up and things are not always as they appear. It brings to question how well do we know ...more
Karen
Okay, I know people love her books so again I tried to read one. Someone gave me this and though I have really only liked about 3 of hers( never loved them); I gave it a whirl. the premise of the book sounded great. The book started with a bang the got annoying. I cannot tolerate whiny weak protagonists and that is what we had here. I did not like the auntie dear, did not care for sheriff irr-itater. I did not like Jill and that man; I did not like the whole silly clan. Mom and pop should have b ...more
Kristel
Aug 29, 2014 Kristel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Found it very predictable. Only one suspect who had a decent motive, so it was easy to figure out very early on.
Daniel Eaton
Nov 28, 2015 Daniel Eaton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was more predictable than the first in the series, but was still an entertaining read. I figured out the motive and who the villain was from the very start. The book still came to a very satisfying conclusion though.
  • Showers in Season (Seasons, #2)
  • Stain of Guilt (Hidden Faces Series, #2)
  • True Valor (Uncommon Heroes #2)
  • A Shred of Evidence (Seaport Suspense #1)
19811
Terri Blackstock is a New York Times best-seller, with over six million copies sold worldwide. She is the winner of two Carol Awards, a Christian Retailers Choice Award, and a Romantic Times Book Reviews Career Achievement Award, among others. She has had over twenty-five years of success as a novelist.

Terri spent the first twelve years of her life traveling in a U.S. Air Force family. She lived
More about Terri Blackstock...

Newpointe 911 (5 books)
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
  • Word of Honor (Newpointe 911 #3)
  • Trial by Fire (Newpointe 911 #4)
  • Line of Duty (Newpointe 911, #5)