Start by marking “The Firehouse Light” as Want to Read:
The Firehouse Light

The Firehouse Light

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Day after day, year after year,
the lightbulb did not burn out.

Here is the true story of a little lightbulb, located in a firehouse, that has stayed lit for more than one hundred years. As horse-drawn carriages make room for automobiles, dirt roads give way to paved streets, and new buildings transform small clusters of homes into bustling neighborhoods, a small town grows
Published May 25th 2010 by Tricycle Press

To ask other readers questions about The Firehouse Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Firehouse Light

This is the story of the 100-year-old centennial bulb in Livermore, California. The bulb was originally put into a wooden shack that contained fire fighting equipment for the city. The bulb was moved from the shack to the firehouse and was never turned off. It shined while horses were readied. The lightbulb shined as cars replaced horses. It shined as fire engines got bigger and better. It shined as volunteers were replaced by paid fire fighters. It shined on and on. When a new firehouse was bui ...more
The Firehouse Light, a nominee for the 2012-13 South Carolina Picture Book Award, is a true story that would be an excellent addition to Fire Safety Month activities, studies of electricity, or even how cities and towns change over time.

This is the story of a light that has been burning in the Livermore Fire Station for 110 years. It's never gone out. Through decades of change and progress, the firehouse light has always burned. (It even has it's own webcam at where
“Day after day, year after year, the lightbulb did not burn out.”

Written by Janet Nolan and illustrated by Marie Lafrance, this book tells a true story of a little lightbulb, now located in Livermore-Pleasanton Fire Department's Station #6, that has stayed lit for more than one hundred years.

The four-watt lightbulb itself - made of carbon filament and hand-blown glass - was donated by Mr. Dennis Bernal, owner of the Livermore Power and Light Company, in 1901. It was placed above the town's fire
Both my boys LOVED this book! It is a true story about a light in a firehouse that has lasted for over 100 years. There is a website you can visit to watch the light via a webcam, which made the story that much more engaging!
Kelsey Yates
More interesting than the lightbulb was the change in world as time went by. It was nice to discuss each decade with my young children.
The true history about a light bulb that lasted for over 100 years in a firehouse. Sweet story with charming illustrations.
Stephanie Croaning
This is the true story of a lightbulb that has been burning for over 100 years in a firehouse in Livermore, California. The book chronicles history through the changes in firefighting over this 100-year period. Standing on its own, the book may be a little boring for the 5-8 yr. old crowd. However, you could combine it with the fact that the lightbulb made the Guinness Book of Records (the most popular check-out in our library), and the lightbulb has its own website: Voil ...more
This lovely book is a great model of nonfiction for children. It focuses on a 4-watt lightbulb that has been burning at a firehouse in Livermore, CA since 1901. The author does an excellent job weaving in American history as the decades roll by and the lightbulb remains lit. The book could be easily incorporated into a lesson on fire safety, community helpers, electricity, inventions...the list could go on and on.
Samantha Penrose
"Day after day, year after year, the lightbulb did not burn out."

This lightbulb is real, it has been glowing for one hundred years. It has celebrated it's 100th birthday, and has it's very own webcam and website.

"Strong and steady, it still glows
above the heads of firefighters-
it burns when they leave to fight a fire
and stays lit after they return."
Great nonfiction selection about a 100 year old piece of history. This was really cool to read with my daughter, as we celebrated my great aunt's 100th birthday yesterday. We made some neat connections between the book and Aunt Carrie's life. It's also a great book to show how cities often change through time. A 100-year-old lightbulb?!?!? They sure don't make 'em like they used to!
Who knew a lightbulb could burn for over 100 years? I loved learning about this firehouse light, and the illustrations showing the town and firefighting techniques changing decade by decade. I had to go to the bulb's very own website ( to see the webcam, and then I had to become a friend of the bulb on Facebook. It's like an online pet!
This book tells the story of a light bulb that has been burning non-stop in the Livermore, California firehouse for more than 100 years - it's a true story. I grew up in Livermore, and I wanted to "love" this book, but it was little dry.
How cool! The true story of a lightbulb that hasn't burned out in over 100 years. It also showcases how firefighting has changed over the last century. Very informative. Recommend to young history and firefighting buffs.
This nonfiction book about a lightbulb that has been burning for over 100 years in a fire station is a lot fun. Children who are into fire trucks and transportation will like it. The text is a little lengthy for young children.
Amy Hughes
The Firehouse Light is a really good story. I really enjoyed this story. I like how it is a true story about this light bulb that shone for so many years. As the world changed, the light bulb continued to shine.
this book is about a famous Livermore landmark, okay, The famous Livermore landmark. How do i know the author's note tells me so, but the art doesn't. is there anything Live-No-More about the art?
Elisabeth W.  Rauch
Cute story about a light bulb in a firehouse over decades. Highlights the way a small town changed in the 20th century. Confused about whether or not it was true....
A great picture book for 3rd and 4th grade. I cannot think of any students to whom I'd recommend it, but it is a good teaching resource.
True story of a lightbulb that has remained lit in a fire station for over one hundred years.
Good book, but way too long for a picture book. Definitely for the K-2nd crowd.
Dec 14, 2010 Connie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: jv
Tale of a lightbulb and the changes it sees during its century of service.
Interesting story of a lightbulb that keeps on burning!
Susan Erhardt
Nice, but way too long and involved for preschoolers.
Love the timeline of the story.
This was so interesting.