Start by marking “Gardners Art Through the Ages” as Want to Read:
Gardners Art Through the Ages

Gardners Art Through the Ages

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  21,139 Ratings  ·  98 Reviews
The fundamental belief that guided Helen Gardner and her successors is that the history of art is essential to a liberal education. The study of art history, like its fellow humanistic studies, the history of literature and the history of music, has as its aim the opening of student perception and understanding to works of high esthetic quality and expressive significance ...more
Published February 28th 1986 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt P (first published 1926)

Mona
May 18, 2008 Mona rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
تاریخ هنر قدیمی و مرجع و کاملا استفاده شده در کتاب های درسی هنرستان... با ترتیبی خوب و عکس های کثیر تاریخ هنر رو توضیح داده
Adele Jones
Aug 07, 2013 Adele Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-love
This is the best textbook I ever had. Sadly, all the history I know comes from this book. I can't say if it is a good art-history book, since all the art-history I learned came from here, but I know it is very informative and interesting from 'the layman's perspective' (for lack of a less annoying term). Also, I have officially decided that this is one of my desert-island books, since I could spend practically forever reading it.
Charlotte
Jan 29, 2008 Charlotte rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really did read this textbook cover to cover, for an AP Art History class. From ancient to modern - it gives a good summary. Not good for in-depth knowledge on specific topics. The broad range of topics led me to do my own research and helped me with Renaissance, Modern and American Art History courses. Anyone who wants to gain some knowledge of art history should skim the text for terms to throw around in a museum to sound decently knowledgeable. The language is straight forward – heck it has ...more
Robyn26 loid
Nov 07, 2012 Robyn26 loid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in college and found it to be very educational and enjoyable. I have enjoyed pulling this book out for review several times since then. I recently read a great book called, "The Art Dockuments" by author Carlton Davis. This a non-fiction book with a collection of stories about the Los Angeles art gallery in the 1980s. http://artdock.net/
Christina
Jul 16, 2013 Christina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Art Through the Ages was used during both of my Art History courses that I took in my undergraduate studio art program. I really enjoyed the sections of this book that we studied. It gives a broad, yet comprehensive, view about how art has progressed over time and the historical events that influenced its development. I found it easy to read and understand and really enjoyed the numerous color photos found through out the text. It's an extremely heavy book and not one I often wanted to carry aro ...more
Brooke
Jan 15, 2011 Brooke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I was in college as a freshman, this textbook was assigned for a survey class. It was the first textbook I've ever decided to keep and since then, I have read it almost entirely. I don't have an AH degree or anything like that, but as a enthusiast I wuld recommend it for anyone who aspires to broaden their understanding of the history of art. It's easy to read, the annotations are terrific and I just really enjoy it.
Michelle
Dec 09, 2011 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A veritable tome of a book that is used as a main text book for visual art, but a great reference work for art enthusiasts. Worth every cent ... one of those books that takes pride of place on any book shelf at home.
Elham.d
Jan 06, 2015 Elham.d rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
میتوان جز کتابهای جامع تاریخ هنر دسته بندی کرد.البته در هنر قرن20 به خلاصه گویی رسیده
Ellen
Aug 11, 2011 Ellen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had to read the entire book in a school year for my art history class, and although there was a lot to get through, it is a quality textbook. Interesting to read with a good format and a large amount of information. I would recommend it to anyone into art history with a need for a compendium of all art from prehistoric to 20th century.
Whanthatapril jeff
Great survey of the history of art. Originally published in the 1920's it remains the standard and most used. It has gone through zillions of editions. More recent versions come with a CD/DVD of photos.
blueMeridian
Sep 03, 2007 blueMeridian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art, reference
This is the 9th edition, hardcover. Comprehensive in terms of western art, with a good representation of non-European influences, it is understandably considered a standard text of art history education.
Kelly
Sep 24, 2012 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Art History Students or Want-to-Be Students
OK, so I read this for school, which tempers it a bit, but overall I found it a clear, easy-to-read history of art, good for getting an overview of a variety of periods, styles, and artists.
علی
Jan 26, 2008 علی rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art-history
این کتاب قطور توسط محمدتقی فرامرزی به فارسی برگردانده شده و همراه با تصاویر کتاب اصلی توسط انتشارات آگاه در 1365 چاپ و منتشر شده است.
John Devlin
Nov 09, 2015 John Devlin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A vast, well written, and lucid account of how art has emerged, shaped, and refined both its meaning and itself through the few millennia of human history. Particularly impressive is the precise language Gardner uses to give the reader insight into what the art purports to be and what it has come to be seen as.

Personally, I found the painting the most informative. With her talk of styles, pov, lines of focus and spatial relationships, I feel I gained a new appreciation for the art of that milieu
Sarah Hutchinson
Nov 20, 2014 Sarah Hutchinson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Can a textbook be a favorite book? This one is for me. This book opened up an entire world when I first read it in high school, creating a passion for art history that has carried over to me for these past four, nearly five, years. Without this book, I wouldn't have had the multitude of positive experiences at museums and art sites around the world. I would not have gained so much appreciation and wisdom. This book, frankly, is the best to introduce yourself to the wonderful world of human creat ...more
Nostalgia Reader
**6th Edition Review**

So much better than the modern version I used. This one covers all of art history (prehistory, through what was then recent in the 1960s/70s) and provides SO MUCH MORE actual historical background on both the history itself, as well as the artists, in addition to the artworks themselves. The pictures are mostly black and white (with color plates), but if you Google the artwork being discussed, you'll benefit even more from the history contained within.

It still is awkwardly
Joy
May 18, 2014 Joy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had to buy this as a textbook for an art class in university. Unlike most textbooks, I kept this one. The images are beautiful, and the text is informative and easy to understand. That class was about 5 years ago, but I still find myself paging through this book every so often. I would definitely recommend it to anyone with an interest in art and the history thereof.
Amy
Jan 21, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gardner's is a must for any introductory Art History Survey Course. It presents a broad overview of the history of art. Western art is relatively privileged, but I do believe the author and subsequent editors have tried to rectify the matter.
David Lewis
Apr 21, 2016 David Lewis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was required reading in college. Very well organized and presented. I still own my copy and refer to it often. I keep it in my classroom.
Johannah
Mar 25, 2014 Johannah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school, 2014-done
Yes, I'm counting this as a read book because I literally read it from beginning to end. Silly Art History Class....
Doris Raines
I. Love. All. Kind. Of. Art. After. All. Real. Art. Are. Create. By. Genius.
Mindy
Mar 31, 2015 Mindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Only college textbook I kept, and still pull out.
Jean
May 28, 2014 Jean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best basic art history book around!
Marina
Oct 26, 2014 Marina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Screw you AP Art History.
Omar
Jan 19, 2016 Omar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ew43rgsfedg
Trisha Logsden
Jan 11, 2015 Trisha Logsden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great overview....
Wister Batista
Feb 06, 2016 Wister Batista rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Aris Budiman
Jan 31, 2016 Aris Budiman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
good
Rebecca
Copyright 2001. When in need of creative inspiration, must not forget art history. This book covers ancient art through WWII in 1200 coated pages -- definitely the heaviest book I have ever owned. It even has an attached ribbon bookmark. Perhaps it's sacrilege to say that I now prefer databases; timelines and interconnectedness just make more sense to me in a linked, interactive format, and the updates are always current. But this is a beautiful book, and one of the best.
Goodreads Librari...: Messed up ISBN results in incorrect entry 3 153 Dec 12, 2012 01:14PM
  • Arts and Ideas
  • Gardner's Art Through the Ages
  • History of Art
  • The King's Agent
  • History of Italian Renaissance Art: Painting, Sculpture, Architecture
  • The Annotated Mona Lisa: A Crash Course in Art History from Prehistoric to Post-Modern
  • The Story of Painting
  • The Last Nude
  • History of Modern Art: Painting, Sculpture, Architecture, Photography
  • The Shock of the New
  • The Man Who Made Vermeers: Unvarnishing the Legend of Master Forger Han van Meegeren
  • The Lost Painting
  • Andy Goldsworthy: A Collaboration with Nature
  • The Judgment of Paris: The Revolutionary Decade That Gave the World Impressionism
  • Arcimboldo (Taschen Basic Art)
  • Theories of Modern Art: A Source Book by Artists and Critics
  • The Power of Art
  • Rembrandt, 1606-1669: The Mystery of the Revealed Form
Helen Gardner (1878–1946) was an American art historian and educator. Her Art Through the Ages remains a standard text for American art history classes.

Gardner was born in Manchester, New Hampshire and attended school in the Hyde Park neighborhood of Chicago. In 1901 she graduated with a degree in classics from the University of Chicago. After an interval as a teacher, she returned to the same uni
More about Helen Gardner...