Trial and Triumph

Trial and Triumph

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  161 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Christianity is a faith in love with history. God took on human flesh and dwelt among us. The Spirit carried that divine work over the centuries, providing courage and maturity even amid our imperfections. Christians find their true family line not through tribes and ethnic blood but in the bond of faithfulness and shed blood that has united our family for millennia. We to...more
Published June 1st 1999 by Canon Press

To ask other readers questions about Trial and Triumph, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trial and Triumph

Brian
I've been prepping the Audio Book and listening to it ahead of time. So here are some thoughts provoked by the selected biographies:

*Polycarph & Blandina: the Romans are practically helpless, despite their power, because they choose the tool of violence to try to bend wills.

* Constantine: certainly favorable, but they still hint at a fall, not with regard to Empire, but with the leaders of the Church and power.

* Athanasius: The Trinity should not be conceived as a 'doctrine' in the usual sen...more
Ebookwormy
In one volume, Hannula provides 46 biographies, arranged in chronological order and separated out by time period sections, that average 6 pages in length. Great for young students with short attention spans and high energy (yes, I mean boys!), for Dad's who want a glimpse into what you are doing in homeschool, and even for families to read aloud and discuss. A gem that we will be returning to often.

----
Also, if you are looking for church history resources generally, I thought you'd be interested...more
James
I read this to my children in the evenings and we all really enjoyed it. It was really special to listen to the children talk about the different stories and say things like, "I want to be a missionary" or "I want to tell others about God" or "I want to die for Jesus." The stories are short (4-5 pages) and cover church history in a very summarized way. I would consider it an introduction at best and it is a simple and succinct book. It never struck me as a well written book but it was very enjoy...more
Rebekah
Eh. It was okay
I may read it again someday

When i'm 37
Dulci
I am currently reading through this book with my kids as part of our homeschool curriculum, My Father's World. It is amazing!

The courage and devotion of the Christian brothers and sisters that have gone before us is stunning. I am often overcome with emotion as I read many of these stories. My kids are used to it. :) I greatly hope that these stories will impact them (and me) to live bravely for Jesus no matter what.
Mary S
This is part of our curriculum with Ambleside Online. It has been a bit of a continuous read because different ages read different sections each year. We've almost completed it now. We've really enjoyed it. It is an encouragement to read about how God has taken care of His people and given them amazing courage in dire circumstances. I could barely read through the chapter on the Boxer Rebellion because of my tears.
Heather
This is part of our history curriculum. All my kids have enjoyed it. Reading part this school year (ancients -- early church) and will finish next school year (middle ages - Reformation). Nice short, readable accounts of the lives of church fathers, martyrs, other influential church figures in history. Our curriculum recommends for grammar stage students.
Matthew
Currently reading as part of the homeschooling curriculum with my girls. Short but vivid descriptions of the lives of men and women from church history. So far it has been good.

Update-We continued to read this throughout the school year. The sections on each person were a perfect length to keep kids attention.
CJ Bowen
Great read-aloud intros to characters from church history, well distributed throughout the ages. Hannula tells stories, and families especially should love this book.

Not academic in any sense, but the further reading section should launch the reader to the next step. Great stuff!
Kara Kirby
A very good Protestant introductory history of the Church. For all ages, but makes a good read aloud for ages 7 and up. If you would like a complete picture of Christian history, David Bentley Hart's beautifully illustrated The Story of Christianity is the best.
Margaret Metz
This is one we often refer to in our studies. I like having good books that tell us history of the church from several different perspectives so I don't rely on this book alone, but it's a great resource.
T
outstanding collection of voices of the faith throughout history. easily read and useful tool for engaging the minds of even children and gently exposing them to the battle between evil and Gods righteousness
Jacqueline
Feb 03, 2010 Jacqueline is currently reading it
Shelves: ebooks
Reading it online here - http://books.google.com/books?id=QEcL...
Peter N.
A good introduction to some major and minor characters throughout church history. Excellent for read aloud to children.
Jerry
This book is ideal for family reading, spanning ancient to modern heroes of the faith.
Gwen Burrow
I don't remember this as being the best written, but the stories are good.
Dan Glover
Great way to get children informed and interested in their Christian heritage.
Janet
Feb 11, 2010 Janet is currently reading it
a great primer to share God's Family's history with your children
Jesse Broussard
I hadn't realized it was a kid's book, and for that it is excellent.
Steve
Read to the kids, and we all enjoyed it!!
Michelle
Dec 27, 2010 Michelle marked it as to-read
Rec. by Ann Voskamp for family read-aloud
Victoria Gurr
Really good, Happy yet sad at the same time
Haven
Haven added it
Aug 26, 2014
Schonna
Schonna marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Katie
Katie is currently reading it
Aug 23, 2014
Suzanne
Suzanne is currently reading it
Aug 21, 2014
  • Joan of Arc
  • The Burgess Bird Book for Children
  • Child's History of the World
  • Standing on the Promises: A Handbook of Biblical Childrearing
  • The Story of the World: History for the Classical Child, Volume 2: The Middle Ages: From the Fall of Rome to the Rise of the Renaissance
  • Viking Tales (Yesterday's Classics)
  • Amy Carmichael: Rescuer of Precious Gems
  • A House for My Name
  • Twice Freed
  • Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare for Children
Mr. Richard Hannula received a B.A. in history from the University of Southern California and was selected for membership in the Phi Beta Kappa National Honor Society. Mr. Hannula holds a master's in education from the University of Washington.

He is the author of Our Northwest Heritage: A History of the Pacific Northwest from a Christian Perspective and Trial and Triumph: Stories from Church Hist...more
More about Richard M. Hannula...
Our Northwest Heritage