Start by marking “Trial and Triumph: Stories from Church History” as Want to Read:
Trial and Triumph: Stories from Church History

Trial and Triumph: Stories from Church History

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  285 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Thus says the LORD: Stand in the ways and see, and ask for the old paths, where the good way is, and walk in it; then you will find rest for your souls"(Jer. 6:16). Christianity is a faith in love with history. God took on human flesh and dwelt among us. The Spirit carried that divine work over the centuries, providing courage and maturity even amid our imperfections. Chri ...more
Published November 15th 2001 by Canon Press (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Trial and Triumph, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trial and Triumph

Leah
I have enjoyed reading the many snippets of lives of Christians past who gave their lives, even unto death in many cases, in this well written book about church history. This is geared toward children so they may have an introduction to church history from a young age. While there are scenes depicting the way martyrs died, and were tortured, it is not too graphic, and certainly no more than scripture depicts.

The stories are short enough for one per sitting even for a young child. Descriptive en
Brian
Aug 05, 2013 Brian rated it really liked it
I've been prepping the Audio Book and listening to it ahead of time. So here are some thoughts provoked by the selected biographies:

*Polycarph & Blandina: the Romans are practically helpless, despite their power, because they choose the tool of violence to try to bend wills.

* Constantine: certainly favorable, but they still hint at a fall, not with regard to Empire, but with the leaders of the Church and power.

* Athanasius: The Trinity should not be conceived as a 'doctrine' in the usual sen
Ebookwormy
Jan 06, 2016 Ebookwormy rated it it was amazing
In one volume, Hannula provides 46 biographies, arranged in chronological order and separated out by time period sections, that average 6 pages in length. Great for young students with short attention spans and high energy (yes, I mean boys!), for Dad's who want a glimpse into what you are doing in homeschool, and even for families to read aloud and discuss. A gem that we will be returning to often.

----
Also, if you are looking for church history resources generally, I thought you'd be interested
James
Aug 10, 2009 James rated it really liked it
I read this to my children in the evenings and we all really enjoyed it. It was really special to listen to the children talk about the different stories and say things like, "I want to be a missionary" or "I want to tell others about God" or "I want to die for Jesus." The stories are short (4-5 pages) and cover church history in a very summarized way. I would consider it an introduction at best and it is a simple and succinct book. It never struck me as a well written book but it was very enjoy ...more
Jaeger Matthias
Oct 17, 2014 Jaeger Matthias rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I loved it! This book is about the many hero's of ancient times, the Thirty Years War and Modern Times.
Clare Farrelly
Oct 12, 2014 Clare Farrelly rated it it was amazing
The lives of all the people of the book are so encouraging. Our Lord Jesus is so amazing in what he can accomplish despite opposition. This book is great for readers young and old, the deaths of martyrs are told about but not in detail. The book focuses on the lives and how god worked through all theses individuals in history. Each biography is only a few pages long and they are all in chronological order and are further divided into a few phases of the history of the church. It is very easy to ...more
Rebekah
Eh. It was okay
I may read it again someday

When i'm 37
Dulci
Oct 05, 2013 Dulci rated it it was amazing
I am currently reading through this book with my kids as part of our homeschool curriculum, My Father's World. It is amazing!

The courage and devotion of the Christian brothers and sisters that have gone before us is stunning. I am often overcome with emotion as I read many of these stories. My kids are used to it. :) I greatly hope that these stories will impact them (and me) to live bravely for Jesus no matter what.
Mary S
Apr 25, 2013 Mary S rated it really liked it
This is part of our curriculum with Ambleside Online. It has been a bit of a continuous read because different ages read different sections each year. We've almost completed it now. We've really enjoyed it. It is an encouragement to read about how God has taken care of His people and given them amazing courage in dire circumstances. I could barely read through the chapter on the Boxer Rebellion because of my tears.
Heather
Jun 08, 2013 Heather rated it it was amazing
This is part of our history curriculum. All my kids have enjoyed it. Reading part this school year (ancients -- early church) and will finish next school year (middle ages - Reformation). Nice short, readable accounts of the lives of church fathers, martyrs, other influential church figures in history. Our curriculum recommends for grammar stage students.
Matthew
Jun 27, 2010 Matthew rated it it was amazing
Currently reading as part of the homeschooling curriculum with my girls. Short but vivid descriptions of the lives of men and women from church history. So far it has been good.

Update-We continued to read this throughout the school year. The sections on each person were a perfect length to keep kids attention.
CJ Bowen
Apr 21, 2011 CJ Bowen rated it really liked it
Great read-aloud intros to characters from church history, well distributed throughout the ages. Hannula tells stories, and families especially should love this book.

Not academic in any sense, but the further reading section should launch the reader to the next step. Great stuff!
Kara Kirby
Feb 17, 2013 Kara Kirby rated it really liked it
A very good Protestant introductory history of the Church. For all ages, but makes a good read aloud for ages 7 and up. If you would like a complete picture of Christian history, David Bentley Hart's beautifully illustrated The Story of Christianity is the best.
Margaret Metz
This is one we often refer to in our studies. I like having good books that tell us history of the church from several different perspectives so I don't rely on this book alone, but it's a great resource.
T
Aug 03, 2013 T rated it it was amazing
outstanding collection of voices of the faith throughout history. easily read and useful tool for engaging the minds of even children and gently exposing them to the battle between evil and Gods righteousness
Peter N.
Feb 18, 2011 Peter N. rated it really liked it
A good introduction to some major and minor characters throughout church history. Excellent for read aloud to children.
Jerry
Mar 01, 2010 Jerry rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
This book is ideal for family reading, spanning ancient to modern heroes of the faith.
Gwen Burrow
Mar 31, 2014 Gwen Burrow rated it liked it
Shelves: history
I don't remember this as being the best written, but the stories are good.
Dan Glover
Jan 14, 2010 Dan Glover rated it liked it
Great way to get children informed and interested in their Christian heritage.
Janet
Feb 11, 2010 Janet is currently reading it
a great primer to share God's Family's history with your children
Jesse Broussard
Jul 07, 2010 Jesse Broussard rated it really liked it
I hadn't realized it was a kid's book, and for that it is excellent.
Steve
May 07, 2013 Steve rated it really liked it
Read to the kids, and we all enjoyed it!!
Michelle
Dec 27, 2010 Michelle marked it as to-read
Rec. by Ann Voskamp for family read-aloud
Victoria Gurr
Jul 18, 2010 Victoria Gurr rated it it was amazing
Really good, Happy yet sad at the same time
Melinda Atwell
Melinda Atwell rated it it was amazing
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Annie Kate
Annie Kate rated it really liked it
Lea Garfias
Lea Garfias rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Keri
Keri is currently reading it
Feb 01, 2016
  • Pagoo
  • Adam and His Kin: The Lost History of Their Lives and Times
  • The Little Duke
  • The Burgess Bird Book for Children
  • Viking Tales (Yesterday's Classics)
  • The Church in History
  • Joan of Arc
  • The Child's Story Bible
  • Standing on the Promises
  • A Child's History of the World
  • The Magna Charta
  • Famous Men of the Middle Ages
Mr. Richard Hannula received a B.A. in history from the University of Southern California and was selected for membership in the Phi Beta Kappa National Honor Society. Mr. Hannula holds a master's in education from the University of Washington.

He is the author of Our Northwest Heritage: A History of the Pacific Northwest from a Christian Perspective and Trial and Triumph: Stories from Church Hist
More about Richard M. Hannula...