Gotta Keep on Tryin': A Novel

Gotta Keep on Tryin': A Novel

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  271 ratings  ·  28 reviews

A Heartwarming Tale of How True Friendship Can Overcome Life's Obstacles

Gayle Saunders and Patricia Reid have been lifelong friends, as close as sisters. When they were teens their dreams led them down separate paths and away from each other. But they reunited as adults, drawn back together by a bond of friendship that stood the test of time.

Now Pat and Gayle co-own the E

Published January 8th 2008 by Touchstone

Shawnette
A Worthy Sequel

This novel is definitely well worth the 10 year wait! I thoroughly enjoyed playing catch-up with Gayle, Pat & Marcus. DeBerry and Grant allows us to revisit with the best friends turned successful business partners. We also get a peek at Pat and Marcus' marriage, which has more or less just become a comfortable co-existence, as they have ceased being the loving, "happily married" couple. And Vanessa has definitely grown up with a chip on her shoulder and the all too familiar a...more
Allyn Reid
Emotionally riveting.
Toni
I had no idea this was a sequel or spin-off of Tryin' to Sleep in the Bed You Made. I read it so long ago that I don't remember the plot or the people involved. (I read so much that, for some reason, I only remember books that I hate. So if I can't remember key plot points - that's a good thing.) If you haven't read the first one or can't remember it, no worries, this book stands well on its own.

Gayle Saunders & Patricia Reid are childhood friends who, now as adults, start and run a successf...more
Debbie
Oct 25, 2008 Debbie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Debbie by: A fellow doll collector
I read this book at the suggestion of a fellow doll collector. The backdrop of the main two characters' Ell and Me doll business piqued my interest. Gayle and Pat have been lifelong friends. They form a doll company inspired by Gayle's teenage daughter Vanessa, who could care less about the business or about her mother’s feelings. Gayle, a single parent, is troubled by her self-centered daughter’s rebellious nature and other issues. She copes with her troubles in a rather unhealthy manner.

Gayle'...more
OOSA
Dec 31, 2008 OOSA rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of these authors
Hope Those Sheets Fit

Although it's been a really long time since I put `Tryin' To Sleep In The Bed You Made,' down, even then I knew, like Michael Jordan to basketball and Jay Z with rap, we hadn't heard the last from Patricia Reid and Gayle Saunders, whose friendship solidifies what it truly means to have a friend.

With Pat's watchful eye and Gayle's creativity, the Ell & Me company has blossomed. More than an idea, a book, or a thought, it's now hitting the shelves in the toy department....more
Shannon
Aug 11, 2008 Shannon rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: girlfriends
These two authors write beautifully together. Their first book, Trying to sleep in the bed you made was AWESOME! Now this book picks up from the first and readers find out what actually happened to Gail & Pat.

The story line deals with family, friendships, love, adultry, children, careers and all the messy little things we deal with everyday. It also deals with something else equally important...eating disorders.

I would recommend reading the first book just so you will have background knowle...more
Mzm
Jun 01, 2008 Mzm rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who read Tryin to Sleep in the Bed You Made
First, let me say, I had no idea this was a sequel to Trying to Sleep in the Bed You Made! Ha ha!

No wonder the entire time I felt like I had missed something. Now I have to go back and read the prequel before I can give a fair review of this book.

The story seemed a bit rushed. . .don't get me wrong there was a lot of stuff that took place, I think it spanned five years but it sped through the years and I didn't get the whole thing with the suicide/murder of the police detective.

I don't think thi...more
Ruth
This is why Oprah stoped having book choices for a while...she said no one is writing anything good. This is what she is referring to. This is a great example of how too much foreshadowing can ruin a story. I felt like the authors thought I was stupid. The biggest question I'm left with is why I read the whole thing? It was mind candy for when a vacation read is too intellectually demanding. Please don't read this.
MaryAnn
Oct 07, 2008 MaryAnn rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Other Adults
Carolyn Alleyne
I loved this book. It is one of the best sequels I've read in a long time. It picked right back up from where the first one left off so i felt like I became more interested in the characters and what became of them. I like how the writers fleshed out their flaws but also showed the hope for their futures as they rose above everything that happened in their pasts.
Romona
OH, MY GOD I WAS SO EXCITED TO SEE THE RETURN OF PAT, GAYLE AND MARCUS, THIS WAS A GREAT RETURN KEEP ME IN THE BOOK FROM START TO FINISH FELT LIKE A REUNION WITH OLD FRIENDS, I HOPE THAT THERE WILL BE ANOTHER TO THIS SERIES. I HATED WHEN I GOT TO THE END AND IT WAS OVER.
Tapley
I only got through about first 50 pages of this book. I don't think it was terrible, but I didn't find either of the main characters to be particularly sympathetic, and a story of soldiering on in the face of life's cruel ups and downs just doesn't interest me.
Efundunke
If only I knew that I was reading a sequel:). The book was still good. Far From the Tree is still my favorite even though this is just my second read from the two authors. Picking up the pieces of everyday life...how can you not want to read?
Tee Morris
Enjoyed this sequel. It takes a deeper look into relationships and their challenges and the decisions that people have to make every day.
Kbrownhenry
I read this book for a book discussion group and really enjoyed it. The main characters are long time best friends and it is a story of friendship and supporting one another during difficult times. It was very good.
Dana "DWJ"
First of all, how did I not realize this was a sequel to "Tryin' to Sleep In the Bed You Made" ?! I needed to read that again to remember where the hell it left off. This was kind of anti-climatic but a quick read.
It was ok. I don't know if I would have liked it better had I read the prequel, but I'm guessing not really. It wasn't a bad story, just not a great one either.
Jayne
I really enjoyed this book, it was a just for fun read that I read a few years back, and was reminiscent of a sex in the city type storyline...
Jenene
Loved it! Hope we don't have to wait another 10 years for a sequel!! This pair of authors are amazing and never disappoint!
Tia
I was not happy at all with this book. The prequel was soooo much better. I had to force myself to finish it.
Antoinette the Book Junkie
Ups, downs, ins, outs, worth a trip to the psychiatrist and therapist and even to the local story for more tissue.
Erin
I had this book on my shelf for a long time. I didnt really think I would like it, but it was a great read!
Yvette
Nothing. That some books could be rather boring with little or no substance and confusing story line
KaTrina
I really enjoyed this book. It shows true friends can weather any storm.
Jeanette
Love these two authors! Very easy reads with great, believable characters.
Niccoya Dobson
Awesome sequel! I wish there was a third book!
Rhonda McKnight
  • Some Things I Never Thought I'd Do
  • A Deep Dark Secret
  • Can I Get a Witness?
  • Mama Dearest
  • Would I Lie to You? (Nappily, #2)
  • Lady Jasmine
  • Something Old, Something New: A Blessings Novel
  • Redemption
  • Leaving Cecil Street
  • Redemption Song
  • One Day I Saw a Black King
  • Singing in the Comeback Choir

We are best friends who’ve been co-writing women’s fiction for twenty of our twenty seven years of friendship. Uptown is our seventh novel. For more information about who we are, what we do and/or to read an excerpt of Uptown please visit deberryandgrant.com. We can also be found online at: Twomindsfull.blogspot.com, Twitter.com/deberryandgrant, Facebook.com/deberryandgrant.
More about Virginia DeBerry...
Tryin' to Sleep in the Bed You Made Better Than I Know Myself Far from the Tree What Doesn't Kill You Uptown