Start by marking “A Dictionary of Symbols” as Want to Read:
A Dictionary of Symbols

A Dictionary of Symbols

The unvarying essential meanings of around 1,000 symbols and symbolic themes commonly found in the art, literature and thought of all cultures through the ages are clarified.
Paperback, New edition of 2nd revised edition, 508 pages
Published December 31st 1990 by Routledge (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about A Dictionary of Symbols, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dictionary of Symbols

Ola Loobeensky
A rose is not only a rose is not only a rose

Ponad dekadę temu bez opamiętania lataliśmy całą watahą dzieciaków po okolicznych blokach, spisując pracowicie kopiując do kajecików zagadkowe zdania oraz niezwykłe wizerunki: Punx not dead, umieszczony zaraz obok Skins not dead, Trust no one (pod rysunkiem dość przerażającego kosmity), anarchie, celtyki i inne frapujące bazgroły, produkowane przez naszych nieco bardziej posuniętych w latach kolegów. Zebrany materiał naukowy zanosiliśmy następnie do st
A. Lundberg
Okay, I didn't read it word for word, but I did go through the whole book. Yes, you can get a lot of this type of information online but it's handy to have it in book format both to flick through for inspiration and to do a quick check on particular words. I've used it as inspiration both for creative writing and for naming a company. It's not a bad idea to make sure your chosen name doesn't mean death or the root of all evil ;-)
Royce Ratterman
Feb 07, 2016 Royce Ratterman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Most books are rated related to their usefulness and contributions to my research.
Overall, a good book for the researcher and enthusiast.
Read for personal research
- found this book's contents helpful and inspiring - number rating relates to the book's contribution to my needs.
Nov 03, 2007 Matthew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An unapologetically Jungian-inspired dictionary of symbols. In limited space, covers a number of cultural manifestations of each symbol, with a latent argument for some sort of generalizable meaning. Well-written with interesting art pieces. Particularly helpful for those interested in mythology or the archetypal quality of dreams.
Mar 21, 2008 Jana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
Good basic reference for a "collective unconscious" version of symbolism. Can be applied toward art, literature, dreams and anything else that hits your radar. Good for reading more into children's and outsider art than probably necessary. Also fun just to open anywhere and read.
Jan 02, 2008 Chaotician rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an awesome book. It's a part of the 25+ books i recieved for Christmas. It provides the knowledge which would enable someone to read pretty much anything. i don't understand why ben gates and riley didn't just buy this book instead of going to ben's mom.
Nov 21, 2014 Sara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Rather boring.

And I just read some other reviews of this book. I read this in the 90's and apparently, I'm just not feeling the love. Maybe this wasn't the right book at the right time.

I still own it, may have to revisit it.
Mary Overton
One of my all time favorite reference books -- full of underlining, highlighting, and ancient, curled, annotated Post-It notes. I went to this book yesterday and realized I should add it to my library.
Sep 15, 2013 Parnell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book only covers a broad and generalized set of symbols but should be sufficient for casual interest. Each entry is well treated and the book, in general, is well written. A gem to have.
Ike Sharpless
I remember loving this book in high school, when I was in my 'read-every-reference-book-in-the-library-on-myth-and-cosmogony' phase...which lasted for at least a few years.
Jan 20, 2008 Roniq rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have the second edition of this book and it's a wonderful resource of symbols and their meanings.
Gregory Stewart
Nov 19, 2009 Gregory Stewart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in symbolism
A fantastic overview of the meaning behind symbols and their meanings.
Aug 25, 2007 Carmen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love books on symbols and so far, this one is my favorite.
Jenny Yates
Mar 19, 2008 Jenny Yates rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Endlessly fascinating. Kind of a bible for me.
May 05, 2013 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pun - Schneider "to create a poetic pun is to jump over or annihilate the distance between two logical or spatial elements - to place under one yoke two elements which are naturally discrete.:
Tammy Chapman
Tammy Chapman marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2016
Sytse marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2016
Esa_Man_Fal rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2016
Doug Hemmings
Doug Hemmings marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2016
Hellokassi marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2016
Molly Neely
Molly Neely rated it liked it
Oct 07, 2016
Mehmet Sumer
Mehmet Sumer marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2016
Meri marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2016
Richard marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2016
Kevin marked it as to-read
Mark Ndlovu
Mark Ndlovu marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2016
Wendy Andrson
Wendy Andrson rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2016
Maria marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2016
  • Giants, Monsters, and Dragons: An Encyclopedia of Folklore, Legend, and Myth
  • Mythology
  • The Collected Works of C.G. Jung
  • The Superior Person's Book of Words
  • The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Mythology: An A-Z Guide to the Myths and Legends of the Ancient World