Start by marking “American Holocaust: The Conquest of the New World” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
American Holocaust: Th...

David E. Stannard

American Holocaust: The Conquest of the New World

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  317 ratings  ·  30 reviews
For four hundred years--from the first Spanish assaults against the Arawak people of Hispaniola in the 1490s to the U.S. Army's massacre of Sioux Indians at Wounded Knee in the 1890s--the indigenous inhabitants of North and South America endured an unending firestorm of violence. During that time the native population of the Western Hemisphere declined by as many as 100 mi ...more
Hardcover
Published September 1st 1993 by Turtleback Books (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about American Holocaust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Holocaust

zoot
There are surely few cases of historical negligence more shameful than the lack of recognition of possibly the greatest genocide in human history, the extermination of the indigenous Americans.

As its title suggests, this book is dedicated to correcting that negligence. Stannard first shows how, contrary to popular opinion, during the 1400s the continent held vast numbers of people, many of whom had organized themselves into thriving, complex societies that were in many ways far more advanced tha
Kim
Mar 28, 2007 Kim rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like the truth, and people who like being sad.
The definitive review of what really occurred in the Americas before and after Columbus set sail. This book will point you towards the truth, but it will also make you extremely depressed. The author does not hold back when describing the horrific acts of torture and flat out slaughter that took place. There are some "good" bits too-- a nice portion of stuff about Bartolomé de Las Casas.
Theophilus (Theo)
The tale of not just who discovered and conquered America, but how they did it. A story of extreme violence, genocide, and biological warfare perpetretated against people because they occupied a land the Europeans wanted. Tons of references and some lithographs of the conquerers in action. Letters from witnesses. Not for the squeamish.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I read this years ago when it first came out. It was an eye-opener! I had no idea that disease wiped out so much of the native American population before Jamestown was settled and the Pilgrims arrived. I own a copy and always recommend it to friends who are interested in history.
IAMLEGION
Don't know how I could possible express in a few words, this books effect on me. It's a not like any holocaust that ever happened since. You won't find this in your high school history books, because it's too gruesome.
Matthew Griffiths
A sobering account of the massive destruction of life that took place in the wake of Columbus' discovery of the Americas. This book offers an important insight into the way in which European contact with American Indian's was almost inevitably doomed to end in massive loss of life for the Americans. Of particular interest were the segments that discussed the development of the religious-racial justification for the slaughter of Indians and Jews in Europe and the placing of this ideological devel ...more
Chris Neumann
This book will open your eyes to the atrocities done to Native Americans from 1492 to the present. The conquerers of North and South America brutally carried out genocide on the native people in the name of God and the search for gold. In the course of five hundred years, 95 percent of the Native American population was dead (over 100 million people mudered). Every school should have to teach this book to children alonside with the first Thanksgiving to give some much needed perspective. I wasn' ...more
jeanette
Yeah - reading the TRUTH in print
Linn
Words cannot begin to describe how much I loved especially the first part of this book. I've always been interested in the hidden history, the history that the victors, as it were, has spent a lot of energy trying to erase, and I don't think it was until I read this book that I fully realized how much about the history of the Americas I'm ignorant of.

The history of the systematic racism and genocide of the Americas really does shed a light on Europe as a whole. There were times when I had to put
David Lucander
If the first chapter of Zinn's "People's History" hit you, check out this extended meditation on race, sexuality, Christianity, and genocide. There's a lot of dead bodies in these pages, but Stannard has a few moments of interpretive insight to make it more than a recounting of hacker slasher bloodbaths.
Mike
Not only a history of holocaust in North and South America, but the psychology of it as well. The author presents his research as a corrective to the history books. Yes, we may be dimly aware of the disease and violence that swept away indigenous populations, but not the scope and scale of the genocide. This was a consciousness raising book. Now when I pass those acorn grinding holes on the way down to the Middle Fork of the American River, I will now have to make myself remember that the old Sa ...more
John
Sometimes I wonder if there is any humanity in us humans.
Robert Kirkconnell
A wealth of information about what was in the Americas and what happened to the people, land, and culture. First hand accounts of the beautiful cities, food production, and lack of violence that made up a culture which was far advanced of anything in Europe. Add to this facts such as that there were over 100 million people in the Americas and that they had been here for over 40 thousand years. Stannard documents that this was a genocide that far exceeded anything else in history, before or since ...more
Brian Andersen
A powerful and sobering analysis of the racism and violence that led to the near extinction of the Indian population from the Americas. The author provides context and data that makes one shudder in horror. It is at times unrelentless with facts and figures but necesarry as well in order to fully show the magnitude of what was really a religious war to ethnically cleanse two continents of its indigenous people.
Marissa
This is a disturbing book about the so-called "discovery" of the Americas. Stannard is providing information about Columbus, Cortes, and the other explorers of the late 1400s and early 1500s that is not covered in general American history courses. It is terrible to read about the horrors some explorers inflicted upon the Natives, but it is a valuable experience to do so.
Simon
This is certainly an interesting and informative account of genocide in the Americas, but I'm not entirely convinced by the main argument. The spirit of advocacy works against the author's argument in this case. Also, the figures cited are not that reliable. Estimates should always be cited as estimates, not established facts.
Allyson
This is a most excellent, comprehensive book on the subject....it is a mentally tough read because of the details necessary to explain the true horror of what has happened to an entire race of people.
Brittany
I have to read this book for an African American college course and it really helps to elaborately define the history of America and the details of what truly happened. Great book!
Chris Pederson
Our school system never taught us of the wholesale slaughter of the native population of the "Americas". A heartbreaking book, but a necessary read for every American.
sologdin
if the first chapter of Zinn's people's history didn't hammer home how horrible the conquest was, this text should thoroughly persuade.
Bill
A must read book that discusses one of histories great crimes that gets little recognition or attention from the general public.
Kyle Worlitz
A somewhat monotonous book on a very important subject. I learned enough from the read that it sort of offset the dull tone.
Bradley
I think that I read this for a course at Baylor University entitled: American History, taught by Dr. Gary Hull.
Sam Orndorff
VITAL. Americans- Study your history. The genocide of Natives is real, the genocide is ongoing and it must stop.
Malcolm Haworth
Great Read, but too simplistic in detailing the lesser known occurrences of genocide in the American West.
Amber manning-harris
amazing eye opening experience. it just goes to show you who wrote the "history" books
Crivera
Excellent. Excellent. Part of the American past no one really talks about.
Jacques Volkeren
Writtten many, many decades too late.
Sam
That we are fucked.
A. Thurman
Jan 20, 2010 A. Thurman marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Library
  • A Little Matter of Genocide: Holocaust & Denial in the Americas 1492 to the Present
  • 500 Nations: An Illustrated History of North American Indians
  • The Conquest of the Incas
  • Our Savage Neighbors: How Indian War Transformed Early America
  • A Short Account of the Destruction of the Indies
  • Seven Myths of the Spanish Conquest
  • The Many-Headed Hydra: Sailors, Slaves, Commoners, and the Hidden History of the Revolutionary Atlantic
  • 500 Years of Indigenous Resistance
  • Ambivalent Conquests: Maya & Spaniard in Yucatan 1517-70
  • The Earth Shall Weep: A History of Native America
  • The Eternal Frontier: An Ecological History of North America and Its Peoples
  • Like a Hurricane: The Indian Movement from Alcatraz to Wounded Knee
  • Conquest: Montezuma, Cortes and the Fall of Old Mexico
  • When Jesus Came, the Corn Mothers Went Away: Marriage, Sexuality, and Power in New Mexico, 1500-1846
  • The Middle Ground: Indians, Empires, and Republics in the Great Lakes Region, 1650-1815 (Studies in North American Indian History)
  • Education for Extinction: American Indians and the Boarding School Experience, 1875-1928
  • Cocaine Politics: Drugs, Armies, and the CIA in Central America
  • Whiteout: The CIA,Drugs and the Press
Honor Killing: How the Infamous "Massie Affair" Transformed Hawai'i The Puritan Way of Death: A Study in Religion, Culture, and Social Change Death In America Before the Horror: The Population of Hawai'i on the Eve of Western Contact Shrinking History: On Freud and the Failure of Psychohistory

“The destruction of the Indians of the Americas was, far and away, the most massive act of genocide in the history of the world. That is why, as one historian aptly has said, far from the heroic and romantic heraldry that customarily is used to symbolize the European settlement of the Americas, the emblem most congruent with reality would be a pyramid of skulls.” 2 likes