Staccato (Steven Hawk/Inola Walela Mystery #1)

Staccato (Steven Hawk/Inola Walela Mysteries #1)

4.51 of 5 stars 4.51  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Published December 21st 2013 by IOF Productions Ltd (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Staccato, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Staccato

Sheila
This novel reads to its own inner score of classics expertly played on the piano. Staccato by Deborah J Ledford is set in the beautiful scenery of the Smoky Mountains and revolves around the mansion and summer home of super-rich musician Alexander Kalman. Kalman was born in Hungary. Afflicted with a club foot, but blessed with music, and empowered by an enormous drive to succeed, he now supervises the musical careers of two young men, Nicholas who his sister adopted many years ago, and Timothy w...more
Mickey Hoffman
Suspenseful and just quirky enough to be fascinating. This book's a page turner of the kind where you are just dying for some evil jackass to get what's deserved. The plot has a few good twists and the ending was satisfying. Good writing all around.
Jenn
This mystery had me in its grip from the first chapter. I know this series is supposed to be about the detectives, and although I haven't read the second installment, the first book was definately about Nicholas, and Hawk and Stiles were supporting players. I liked the Nicholas character a lot, his rebellion and realizations about his own life and lack of interest in most parts of it were the most fascinating facets of this story.

This book is touted as a Hawk/Inola story, but Inola was mentione...more
Malcolm
"Staccato" is staccato: sharp, crisp, almost percussive--like gun shots, like a cane tapping on the floor or striking a shoulder, like light reflected off a black Porsche Targa, like the piercing cold of a Great Smoky Mountains night.

Two years into his career as a world-class concert pianist, young Nicholas Kalman finds his absent father's journal. It's written as a warning to Nicholas, or perhaps a confession. "Beware of this man you call, Uncle," it says.

The uncle is Alexander, the tyrannical,...more
Second Wind Publishing
Three world-class pianists.
Two possible killers.
One dead woman.
Who is her murderer?
Who will be next?

When acclaimed pianist Nicholas Kalman discovers his lover’s dead body, he sets out alone to find her killer. During his journey, he meets an unwitting female accomplice who soon becomes determined to help Nicholas wield his retaliation. Following a parallel path for justice, Steven Hawk, the deputy of a sleepy Southern county, is assigned to the case. Pursuing the investigation, Hawk finds himse...more
Marcia Fine
Loved this book! Musical connections are awesome!
Romancing the Book
Review by Melissa Cornwell

First, I would like to say that I enjoyed Staccato very much. It was a very intense adventure right from the beginning. The characters were very enjoyable, especially Nicholas. He was a very convincing character, and I felt for him the entire way. I just really liked the intensity of the novel. It was to the point, and I liked that about it. I also felt that the background behind the story was thoroughly explained. As mentioned in the acknowledgments, a lot of research...more
Mark
When two young pianists live under the same roof, are carefully groomed for stardom by their ‘uncle’ and share a hard competitive edge jealousy is bound to rear its ugly head. When the more accomplished of the two, Nicholas, appears to have the winning hand then the other, Timothy, takes every pleasure in bring him down a notch.
When this comeuppance involves the death of Nicolas’ lover and his own near murder he has to fake memory loss to get enough time to gather the information he needs to get...more
Katherine
This novel held mystery, suspense, murder and much much more. I loved the connection with the piano. The dimension of the characters was great. You always wonder how far someone will go for power and money...this book unvailed that story line. What I felt was really well written was Nicholas' desperation and need for Jessica's help. With not a sole in the world he could turn to, he turned to a stranger. Spoiler The one question I had and it was never answered was if Sampte did try to run Nichola...more
Arthur
Great little drama, rich, rather well performed and well meant to be scary in ways drama strikes a reader in these genres. A little incidental in places. Or too roughish. A few questions still aroused my imagination as the story began its transformation into a mystery even when we know who is who and who wants what and what it really cost at the end. Back at the first we are introduced into the beginning of lovers of the life of Nicholas and his realization that there is certainly more in life t...more
Debbie Roberts
First of all, I loved the setting of the Great Smoky Mountains of North Carolina -- my favorite place!
I had a little bit of a rough time getting into the story because the dialogue seemed so formal, but once I got into the rhythm of it I was much more comfortable with enjoying the story. It's a good mystery and I loaned it to my neighbor (just got it back!) and she liked it, too.

I would enjoy reading more by by this author!

I would like to add my thanks to author Deborah Ledford for taking the ti...more
Dameon Cox
A good mystery with a little magic!
Danielle
I received this book as a First-Reads winner giveaway. It was an enjoyable read and though parts of it seemed to drag along (for example, I am not a fan of authors who write about every detail of a character's clothing- it's too "American Psycho" for me), it overall was a good thriller novel to curl up in the evening and read. Can't really beat the price either :) I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys thriller novels.
Steven
A very fast paced, hard to put down title with a solid story, and well defined characters full of emotion. I was entertained by Ledford's use of classical music to set the mood of each scene. The only thing I think would kick this title up a notch is if it had it's own soundtrack on CD set into the back of the book. However, this would work great as an audio book as well.
Lisarenee
Enter the world of Nicholas Kalman. He's in love, his career as a concert pianist is flourishing, and seems to have it all. His world is shattered in one night when he finds the dead body of his girlfriend in the back of his car. Confused, grieving, and not at all thinking clearly he panics and sets into motion events that will change his life and those around him forever.
Cindy Howell
I was interested in reading this book for many reasons: (1) it was recommended to me as a book that I would enjoy, (2) its setting is in an area of western North Carolina that is near and dear to my heart and (3) I have known the author's mother since I was a child. The book was great! I loved the piano connection and the story line definitely held my attention.
Adrienne Campbell
Great read~though I liked the second book in the series better and that may have something to do with the fact that I read the second book first. Did that make sense?

Definitely worth the read!

Can hardly wait for the third in the series!!
Michelle. D.
So I won this from one of Goodread's giveaways and I used my cousin's in the USA address. So I don't have the book yet and so therefore I can't read it and then write the review. D:
Sally J. Smith
Literary, thoughtful. Character and plot development are immaculate. The southern mountain setting was well chosen. A winner. Buy it. Read it. You won't be sorry.
Denise Todd
Excellent book. A well crafted mystery with memorable characters. Great pacing, intrigue, and plot. Well done.
Mary
I won Staccato from First Reads. I am looking forward to reading it now that it's arrived.
Cara
Aug 05, 2010 Cara marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Author does book club call-ins.

Thriller/mystery set in NC...author native American
Jaal Zier
Jaal Zier marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Troy
Troy added it
Aug 11, 2014
Laura R
Laura R marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Hugh
Hugh marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Ellen
Ellen marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Sheila
Sheila marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Faiza
Faiza marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Angie
Angie marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Deborah is the award-winning author of the Steven Hawk/Inola Walela suspense series, including: CRESCENDO, STACCATO and SNARE--The Hillerman Sky Award Finalist, and Finalist for the New Mexico-Arizona Book Awards in the Mystery/Suspense category.

Her latest release, the audiobook version of CRESCENDO narrated by TV and film actress Christina Cox, is the 2014 ANTHONY AWARD NOMINEE in the audiobook...more
More about Deborah J. Ledford...
Snare (Steven Hawk/Inola Walela Mystery #2) Crescendo (Steven Hawk/Inola Walela Mystery #3) Mystery in the Wind How NOT to Survive the Holidays (SinC Desert Sleuths, #1) SoWest, So Wild (SinC Desert Sleuths, #3)