Start by marking “The Red Hat Club Rides Again” as Want to Read:
The Red Hat Club Rides Again

The Red Hat Club Rides Again (Red Hat Club #2)

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  1,110 Ratings  ·  82 Reviews
Georgia, SuSu, Teeny, Linda and Diane have been friends for more than thirty years. But when Pru Bonner, black sheep of the group, falls off the wagon so hard it shakes their world, "the girls" stage a hilarious kidnapping in Vegas to help their childhood friend clean up her act. As the women confront their pasts along with their hazardous adventure, they discover surprisi ...more
Published November 1st 2005 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Red Hat Club Rides Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Red Hat Club Rides Again

Lynn
May 18, 2016 Lynn rated it it was amazing
I loved the writing in this book, yet once again. My only drawback was the theme: avoiding 'looking old/your age' at any cost. I think what I particularly resented was that I felt unless I was doing all these things to stay 'looking younger,' there was no way I could be truly happy. (At least that is the way it felt to me!) I so disagree with that! I am simply proud of each day I have survived and hope to have thrived at least a little bit, too! Other than the theme, I loved this book as well!
Gail
Jun 01, 2008 Gail rated it really liked it
Shelves: worth-reading
Even more fun than the first one!
Amy Salamon
Apr 03, 2014 Amy Salamon rated it did not like it
Could not wait to finish. This was a book club book, so it wasn't normally my choice, but I thought I'd give it a try. I couldn't stand the story, however, and I think it was because of these two reasons.
1. I am 33, not past 50, and I just didn't identify with or understand the issues, preoccupations of the women in the story. I just couldn't identify with them because I'm not at that place in my life.

2. They were vain women and I didn't like that personality trait and plot. I am vehemently oppo
Arlen
Feb 05, 2017 Arlen rated it really liked it
Read a long time ago. Remember liking the gal pal vibes
Jan 17, 2017 Jennifer rated it liked it
What i didn't like about the book it that it kept jumping back and forth in time.
Kristi
As the title of this book suggests this is the sequel to "The Red Hat Club", where the reader is reconnected with Diane, Linda, SuSu, Teeny, and Georgia.

These ladies, as before, are a delight to read. They originally met back when they were still in school, though then school didn't mean what it means now. Their school was teaching them how to behave as proper ladies, how to be good wives when they married, and all the skills they would need to lead a married life. However, as today that is not
Gabby
May 09, 2013 Gabby rated it it was ok
The cover of this book tells me it's supposed to be a "hilarious, heartwarming read." Booklist says it's a "riotous, raucous, roller-coaster adventure." I didn't find it to be any of those things. For me, it was insulting to women of the age group eagerly waiting for the day they can wear purple dresses and red hats. In fact, this book made it sound as though women who qualify for the purple/red combo first have to lose their minds before changing into their new get-up. I like the whole red hat ...more
Cheryl
Sep 12, 2016 Cheryl rated it did not like it
I really liked the first book in this series but this one I could not finish. Nothing interesting was happening and what was happening took too long to keep my interest.
Jazminn
Jul 12, 2013 Jazminn rated it liked it
I'm really not sure if I'm a fan of Hayward Smith.

So we're back with the Red Hat Club, all six members in this one. There's a kidnapping, a wedding, fights, plastic surgery, a cruise, recovery from drugs and alcohol, and a lot of laughter. With a plot as good as that, why did it only get three stars?

I found myself skipping pages of this book. I get secondhand embarrassment. And I also have wondered a lot now that I'm reading on the regular, why authors feel the need to add characters to stories
Monkeyface
May 18, 2013 Monkeyface rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Listened to The Red Hat Club Rides Again (Red Hat Club #2)by Haywood Smith. Georgia, SuSu, Teeny, Diane, and Linda are back in a new celebration of life and women’s friendships from the New York Times bestselling author of The Red Hat Club. The Red Hats are back, in rare form. When childhood friend Pru Bonner—black sheep of the group—falls off the wagon so hard it shakes the Red Hats’ world, “the girls” rally to get her into rehab with a hilarious kidnapping in Vegas, and act as her family for g ...more
Donna
Aug 28, 2012 Donna rated it really liked it
As a Red Hatter myself, of similar age, I enjoyed the book. It was a fun read, and inspiring to see how women of "a certain age" weathered the storms and triumphs of their lives. I enjoyed the mix of present day, and flashbacks. I remember all to well the restrictions of the 70's, such as not being able to work after you started to "show" when pregnant, as if it was some kind of disease! The author's view of life from the 70's to the present is very accurate. Enjoyed the book and the characters. ...more
Casey
Nov 30, 2015 Casey rated it did not like it
I have read from this series before and found it thoroughly enjoyable. I expected a stroy abut middle aged women and their adventurous escapades. Perhaps it was because this is a follow up and I either haven't read the previous book or read it so long agon I don't remember it. The plot line seemed all about catching me up and "telling not showing" me about all their former escapades. Well, it tanked. It sounded like a third grader trying really hard but failing dismally to give a good book repor ...more
Mary
Sep 20, 2016 Mary rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Women who cherish long time dear friends
Recommended to Mary by: sister
If you've kept best friends since high school or college, friends who know everything about you --and still like you--you will identify with The Red Hat Club Rides Again by Haywood Smith. A must read is Chapter Two. Here Smith lists and explains the 12 Sacred Traditions--No lies, MYOB, Do over (for foot in mouth faux pas), no beating up when we blow it, all calories must be in chewable form--a mixture of realistic rules for friendship with a healthy dose of the absurd. Girl lunches, helping out ...more
Ali
Oct 13, 2012 Ali rated it really liked it
The hijinxes are adorable as always, a few touching moments, but the author has a few slip ups that really irked me. Teeny's original maiden name in the The Red Hat Club was Chandler, but now its Grantham? Also, during the first book, Linda had a boy and a girl, and in the original book, Abby had only just moved in with her new boyfriend 6 months earlier. But in the sequel, Abby is an only child and she's been living with her boyfriend for eight years? What?
Rosemary Cantrell
Jan 25, 2016 Rosemary Cantrell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Haywood Smith and the Red hats. This book was hilarious! I so identify with their history (about the same age, you know, so my memories match theirs) and their womanhood (so universal). How they get themselves into some of their messes is, well, unbelievable and so funny. It could be any of us! Underneath it all there is a wonderful bond of love among life long friends and the deep concern they have for each other. I treasure the friends I have in my life like these women do. Great book.
Amy
Jun 22, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-unabridged
CD/Unabridged: When I picked this up at the library sale for $3 bucks, I thought it was a murder mystery. It isn't. It is about six fifty-ish women who's friendship has lasted through the decades, sans Pru. This is the story of how Pru, lost with her own demons comes back into the group. The best part is the narrator's dissection of the 13 Red Hat rules of friendship. It is a good light-hearted story.
Marca
Nov 25, 2009 Marca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice to listen to on audio, not sure I'd have the patience to read the book. The trials and tribulations of a circle of life-long friends who are Southern Belles. Humorous and serious. The women are privileged junior league types; one seems to have more money than Bill Gates, which makes many things easier for them. They are pleasant and generally likeable. The audio is an agreeable way to pass the time while commuting.
Jean
Jun 02, 2010 Jean rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't even make it half-way through this audiobook before I realized how little I cared about these characters and how much I was wasting my time. I was hoping for a cute, southern-gals-on-a-lark type story but I was bored before they even started on their lark. And when they got to Vegas and were ensconced in high cotton, I realized that I didn't care what happened to them and it was time to quit.
Annetta Dunham
Jun 04, 2010 Annetta Dunham rated it really liked it
The sequel to The Red Hat Club, I found this book to be a little less funny and a little more depressing. The girls are getting older and their problems are getting bigger. But, I guess in that respect, the book certainly mimics real life. For all you ladies over the age of 50, these two books are great reading. You will laugh, cry, reflect and just plain enjoy them.
Mirah W
Aug 27, 2011 Mirah W rated it liked it
Book 2 about the Red Hat Club. An entertaining, light read and there were some laugh out loud moments. I enjoyed it because I think I could identify Southern women I know in the characters. Although, I don't have a millionaire friend who can spoil me. Hmm, I need to work on that. A quick read for the weekend or for the beach.
Charys
Sep 22, 2009 Charys rated it did not like it
I bought this on audio book since I don't have much time to sit down with a physical book now a days. The reading was so cheesy, I couldn't even listen to a full CD. My mom was in a Red Hat Society, so I thought it would be cute, but the over pronounced southern drawl of the reader made the story simply unbearable.
Carol
Jun 16, 2010 Carol rated it really liked it
This is a really cute series of books 3 or 4 books so far. A group of Southern, middle aged woman who have been friends since they were girls get together each month to have lunch. And then the fun begins. The books are written with humor but actually cover some heavy subjects this one was addiction oriented. I love books where the women are friends and support each other no matter what.
Patsy
Jan 28, 2012 Patsy rated it really liked it
Another version of a bunch of ladies who have been friends for a very long time and takes place over many years. They manage to get themselves in a very strange situation and how they manage to get out of it. You will find yourself. smiling at there situations, and. wondering what could happen to them next
Rebekkila
I thought this was very cute. I wasn't crazy about the part where these strong confident women get head to toe plastic surgery, but the rest was really good. I will be on the lookout for more in this series.
eileen griffin
Sep 14, 2011 eileen griffin rated it really liked it
This was a fun book to read. It definitely would appeal to the over-55 generation. You do not have to be a "Red Hatter" to appreciate the antics of these wonderful friends who certainly enjoy life and overcome heartbreaks. Great boost for your Positive Mental Attitude!
Stefanie
Jan 07, 2009 Stefanie rated it it was amazing
This is the second book about the same 5 women from the first book and what has happened to them since the first book ended. This book is so much fun and I laughed, I smiled, and I cried. So enjoyable.
Jane
Apr 09, 2009 Jane rated it really liked it
The second adventure of the Red Hat sorority girls. This one includes a Vegas adventure, a cruise and love the second time around and reminds you that whatever life throws at you, you can get through it with good friends and a generous amount of chocolate.
Amy
May 11, 2009 Amy rated it really liked it
I very much enjoyed both the Red Hat books. A great reminder of the ups and downs and ins and outs of having long standing friendships with wonderful women in your life. I think we should all have to honor the 10 sacred traditions outlined in this book :)
Stephanie
Nov 03, 2013 Stephanie rated it really liked it
A baby is life renewed, no matter where, no matter when.

The Lord can use even our sins to work His greater good.

Your character is what you do when no one's looking.

You can't love people in pieces.
Allysen
Sep 05, 2014 Allysen rated it really liked it
3.50-3.75. Cute, light, and just fun! I laughed out loud more than I can count. However, I can see where some people may get annoyed by the southern humor. I on the other hand could relate. And her book, "Ladies of the Lake" is even better!
  • The Sweet Potato Queens' Wedding Planner/Divorce Guide
  • Searching for Paradise in Parker, PA
  • The Hot Flash Club Strikes Again
  • The Bad Behavior of Belle Cantrell
  • Snow Angels
  • Return of the Stardust Cowgirl  (Lucy Hatch, #4)
  • Goodbye, Earl: A Bad Girl Creek Novel
  • Fat Chance (A Finley Anderson Tanner Mystery, #3)
  • Swine Not?: A Novel Pig Tale
  • Apocalipstick
  • Sweet Rains: Second Nature / Lessons Learned
  • Doing Good
  • Miss Julia Renews Her Vows (Miss Julia, #11)

Red Hat Club (3 books)