The Red Hat Club Rides Again

The Red Hat Club Rides Again (Red Hat Club #2)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  755 ratings  ·  66 reviews
Georgia, SuSu, Teeny, Linda and Diane have been friends for more than thirty years. But when Pru Bonner, black sheep of the group, falls off the wagon so hard it shakes their world, "the girls" stage a hilarious kidnapping in Vegas to help their childhood friend clean up her act. As the women confront their pasts along with their hazardous adventure, they discover surprisi...more
Published November 1st 2005 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 2005)

Gail
Even more fun than the first one!
Amy Salamon
Could not wait to finish. This was a book club book, so it wasn't normally my choice, but I thought I'd give it a try. I couldn't stand the story, however, and I think it was because of these two reasons.
1. I am 33, not past 50, and I just didn't identify with or understand the issues, preoccupations of the women in the story. I just couldn't identify with them because I'm not at that place in my life.

2. They were vain women and I didn't like that personality trait and plot. I am vehemently oppo...more
Monkeyface
Listened to The Red Hat Club Rides Again (Red Hat Club #2)by Haywood Smith. Georgia, SuSu, Teeny, Diane, and Linda are back in a new celebration of life and women’s friendships from the New York Times bestselling author of The Red Hat Club. The Red Hats are back, in rare form. When childhood friend Pru Bonner—black sheep of the group—falls off the wagon so hard it shakes the Red Hats’ world, “the girls” rally to get her into rehab with a hilarious kidnapping in Vegas, and act as her family for g...more
Kristi
As the title of this book suggests this is the sequel to "The Red Hat Club", where the reader is reconnected with Diane, Linda, SuSu, Teeny, and Georgia.

These ladies, as before, are a delight to read. They originally met back when they were still in school, though then school didn't mean what it means now. Their school was teaching them how to behave as proper ladies, how to be good wives when they married, and all the skills they would need to lead a married life. However, as today that is not...more
Gabby
The cover of this book tells me it's supposed to be a "hilarious, heartwarming read." Booklist says it's a "riotous, raucous, roller-coaster adventure." I didn't find it to be any of those things. For me, it was insulting to women of the age group eagerly waiting for the day they can wear purple dresses and red hats. In fact, this book made it sound as though women who qualify for the purple/red combo first have to lose their minds before changing into their new get-up. I like the whole red hat...more
Jazminn
I'm really not sure if I'm a fan of Hayward Smith.

So we're back with the Red Hat Club, all six members in this one. There's a kidnapping, a wedding, fights, plastic surgery, a cruise, recovery from drugs and alcohol, and a lot of laughter. With a plot as good as that, why did it only get three stars?

I found myself skipping pages of this book. I get secondhand embarrassment. And I also have wondered a lot now that I'm reading on the regular, why authors feel the need to add characters to stories...more
Donna
As a Red Hatter myself, of similar age, I enjoyed the book. It was a fun read, and inspiring to see how women of "a certain age" weathered the storms and triumphs of their lives. I enjoyed the mix of present day, and flashbacks. I remember all to well the restrictions of the 70's, such as not being able to work after you started to "show" when pregnant, as if it was some kind of disease! The author's view of life from the 70's to the present is very accurate. Enjoyed the book and the characters....more
Yvonna
Characters are interesting in that their problems seem real, but they don't lose their humor.
Catherine
I really liked this book. It was very funny in some ways. I plan on reading the rest of the series. If you like a laugh read this book.
Ali
The hijinxes are adorable as always, a few touching moments, but the author has a few slip ups that really irked me. Teeny's original maiden name in the The Red Hat Club was Chandler, but now its Grantham? Also, during the first book, Linda had a boy and a girl, and in the original book, Abby had only just moved in with her new boyfriend 6 months earlier. But in the sequel, Abby is an only child and she's been living with her boyfriend for eight years? What?
Diann
Love catching up with the characters!
Marca
Nice to listen to on audio, not sure I'd have the patience to read the book. The trials and tribulations of a circle of life-long friends who are Southern Belles. Humorous and serious. The women are privileged junior league types; one seems to have more money than Bill Gates, which makes many things easier for them. They are pleasant and generally likeable. The audio is an agreeable way to pass the time while commuting.
Amy
CD/Unabridged: When I picked this up at the library sale for $3 bucks, I thought it was a murder mystery. It isn't. It is about six fifty-ish women who's friendship has lasted through the decades, sans Pru. This is the story of how Pru, lost with her own demons comes back into the group. The best part is the narrator's dissection of the 13 Red Hat rules of friendship. It is a good light-hearted story.
Jean
I didn't even make it half-way through this audiobook before I realized how little I cared about these characters and how much I was wasting my time. I was hoping for a cute, southern-gals-on-a-lark type story but I was bored before they even started on their lark. And when they got to Vegas and were ensconced in high cotton, I realized that I didn't care what happened to them and it was time to quit.
Carol
This is a really cute series of books 3 or 4 books so far. A group of Southern, middle aged woman who have been friends since they were girls get together each month to have lunch. And then the fun begins. The books are written with humor but actually cover some heavy subjects this one was addiction oriented. I love books where the women are friends and support each other no matter what.
Annetta Dunham
The sequel to The Red Hat Club, I found this book to be a little less funny and a little more depressing. The girls are getting older and their problems are getting bigger. But, I guess in that respect, the book certainly mimics real life. For all you ladies over the age of 50, these two books are great reading. You will laugh, cry, reflect and just plain enjoy them.
Mirah W
Book 2 about the Red Hat Club. An entertaining, light read and there were some laugh out loud moments. I enjoyed it because I think I could identify Southern women I know in the characters. Although, I don't have a millionaire friend who can spoil me. Hmm, I need to work on that. A quick read for the weekend or for the beach.
Charys
I bought this on audio book since I don't have much time to sit down with a physical book now a days. The reading was so cheesy, I couldn't even listen to a full CD. My mom was in a Red Hat Society, so I thought it would be cute, but the over pronounced southern drawl of the reader made the story simply unbearable.
Patsy
Another version of a bunch of ladies who have been friends for a very long time and takes place over many years. They manage to get themselves in a very strange situation and how they manage to get out of it. You will find yourself. smiling at there situations, and. wondering what could happen to them next
eileen griffin
This was a fun book to read. It definitely would appeal to the over-55 generation. You do not have to be a "Red Hatter" to appreciate the antics of these wonderful friends who certainly enjoy life and overcome heartbreaks. Great boost for your Positive Mental Attitude!
Susan
This is probably my favorite Red Hat. I suppose because I knew the characters and was happy to see what they were up to. Haywood does great characterizations. I also like the idea of these 5 very different ladies who have been friends forever and take each other as is.
Jane
The second adventure of the Red Hat sorority girls. This one includes a Vegas adventure, a cruise and love the second time around and reminds you that whatever life throws at you, you can get through it with good friends and a generous amount of chocolate.
Amy
I very much enjoyed both the Red Hat books. A great reminder of the ups and downs and ins and outs of having long standing friendships with wonderful women in your life. I think we should all have to honor the 10 sacred traditions outlined in this book :)
Sharon
This sequel to the Red Hat Club follow the ladies as they spirit their friend off to rehab. It's a bit uneven, also containing a rather disturbing subplot of mass-plastic surgery, but the narrator has a lively outlook.
Stefanie
This is the second book about the same 5 women from the first book and what has happened to them since the first book ended. This book is so much fun and I laughed, I smiled, and I cried. So enjoyable.
Rebekkila
I thought this was very cute. I wasn't crazy about the part where these strong confident women get head to toe plastic surgery, but the rest was really good. I will be on the lookout for more in this series.
Stephanie
A baby is life renewed, no matter where, no matter when.

The Lord can use even our sins to work His greater good.

Your character is what you do when no one's looking.

You can't love people in pieces.
Jerri
I listened to this book driving to and from work. It was such a fun book to listen to especially since the reader had a wonderful southern accent. Anyone over 40 will enjoy the crazy Red Hats.
Marsha Lynn
I have read this several times it makes me giggle I can see myself in this story growing up in the early 60's with best friends in my neighborhood I wish I had some of their adventures
Corren
Aug 02, 2007 Corren rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Old ladies
I got this book because it was on clearence and I was in between my series that I read. So far it is all right just about a bunch of ladied and their lives in a some what humorous manner.
  • The Sweet Potato Queens' Wedding Planner/Divorce Guide
  • The Bad Behavior of Belle Cantrell
  • Easy on the Eyes
  • The Hot Flash Club Strikes Again
  • Going Down South: A Novel
  • Miss Julia Hits the Road (Miss Julia, #4)
  • Swine Not?: A Novel Pig Tale
  • The Three Miss Margarets
  • Apocalipstick
  • The Girlfriend Curse
  • Savannah Breeze (Weezie and Bebe Mysteries, #2)
  • Sweet Hush
  • The Wildwater Walking Club
  • Searching for Paradise in Parker, PA
  • The Wilde Women
The Red Hat Club Queen Bee of Mimosa Branch Ladies of the Lake Waking Up in Dixie Wedding Belles