Start by marking “Possession (Possession, #1)” as Want to Read:
Possession (Possession, #1)
read excerpt* *Different edition

Possession (Possession #1)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  7,428 ratings  ·  1,130 reviews
Vi knows the Rule: Girls don't walk with boys, and they never even think about kissing them. But no one makes Vi want to break the Rules more than Zenn...and since the Thinkers have chosen him as Vi's future match, how much trouble can one kiss cause? The Thinkers may have brainwashed the rest of the population, but Vi is determined to think for herself.

But the Thinkers ar
Published June 7th 2011 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Possession, please sign up.

Sam Severin No way, it's ten times better, and has more of a plot and less of a romance. You won't be able to put it down, and you definitely won't want to.
Gabby A bit, but it is also pretty different from what I remember.
City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareForever by Maggie StiefvaterSilence by Becca FitzpatrickDivergent by Veronica Roth
YA Novels of 2011
96th out of 1,278 books — 6,832 voters
Divergent by Veronica RothUnearthly by Cynthia HandAcross the Universe by Beth RevisWither by Lauren DeStefanoAngelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton
2011 Debut Authors (Young Adult and Middle Grade Lit.)
25th out of 376 books — 2,205 voters

More lists with this book...

Jess
Oy vey. What was going on in this book? Seriously.
The first thing that comes to mind when I think of this book is unorganised. It reads like a first draft where Johnson just wrote whatever came to mind, and then didn't go back to fix the inaccuracies. Nothing makes sense, and there is no clear vision as to what's supposed to be happening. The world-building, in short, sucks balls.

Then there's the characters. Holy crap, I hate Violet. She is dumber than Bella Swan in every way. The choices she ma
Steph Su
I felt like there was a significant lack of thorough world-building going on with this one. Lots of things just did not make sense, and led me to believe that they existed in the story merely to move the plot or characterization along. For instance, how does it make sense to put Jag and Vi, both apparently dangerous criminals, in the SAME JAIL CELL, when there is a whole entire room full of empty cells? And then to leave it minimally guarded so that escape is possible (yet is mysteriously never ...more
Circus Princess
Amy (Turn the Page)
Oh dear. Someone is going to have to tell me what the hell happened in this book, because I couldn’t follow any of it.

It’s not often I so badly rate a book, but I have to be honest, Possession was disjointed, incoherent, with unlikable, inconsistent characters and a rambling plot. And the synopsis sounded so promising.

One of the most important aspects in a dystopian to get right is the world building, and Possession’s was vague to say the least. A quick run down on what I did manage to grasp:

The
Dawn Ryan
High quality dystopian fiction. The sarcastic voice is distinct, and possibly my favorite part of the book. As far as the conclusion goes, I was really satisfied, even if (or perhaps especially because) it's not what you would expect. I can't wait to hear what comes next from Elana Johnson!
Amber
I had a hard time getting into this book. I think the potential was there but it didn't grab me. I didn't feel connected with the characters and was getting frustrated with Violet, the leading heroin. This story is similar to Matched, The Giver and Dilirium.

I just really wanted to like this book more but it just wasn't happening. It was just an okay read for me.
Mauve7
Ugh! I seriously could NOT get into this book! The reader is thrown right away into this dystopian world in which the Goodies and the Baddies do not agree, obviously. The Thinkers are these brainwasher-types who fight and condemn freewill. The premise had promise (heh) but that's it. Once you start reading this book, it just...UGH! We get absolutely no world-building (and yes, I appreciate it when it happens in dystopian books!), no real reason to like Violet OR Jag, and Zenn is completely non-e ...more
Bryce
May 12, 2014 Bryce rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: dnf
I blame this on too many dystopian love-triangle books in a row, so this rating is partly my fault. I got about a third of the way through and just stopped reading. Maybe I'll come back to it later.
Ali Cross
A dystopian novel for young adults, Elana Johnson's debut novel, Possession, will be published by Simon & Schuster in June, 2011.

From the author's website:

Jenn
Loved this book. It's action-packed, and the genre can only be described as a YA paranormal dystopia with a snarky female protagonist.
Crystal
Jessica
The main character, Violet lives in a split society of Goodies that live on Goodgrounds and Baddies from the Badlands. There's also a group of people called the Special Forces and an Association of Directors who are from Freedom, and even though it is a good thing to be free, Freedom is a bad place where the Thinkers are trained. Kind of confusing, right? The Thinkers, also referred to as Greenies, are the ones that categorize everyone and pretty much brainwash the Goodies by making them listen ...more
Alyssa hoffmaster
Oh boy, yet another amazing book that has left with a hugely annoying cliffhanger waiting for me till the next year *sigh*

Violet the main character in the story and a badass if I dare say, and has an amazing and scary life, her sister got taken away and killed 3 years ago, her dad disappeared 7 years ago and no one knows where he is.

This Dystopian novel is also technology bases as was the last novel I read, both are in a world where technology is mostly everything and the leader will do nothin
Jinny (SkyInk.net)
Jul 05, 2011 Jinny (SkyInk.net) rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
Saw this on PulseIt and decided to give it a whirl. I admit, I was lured by the gorgeous cover. However, Possession is a shining example of the saying, "Don't judge a book by its cover."

The plot is the kind where, on paper, it sounds like a great idea, but the actual result fell very flat. It felt like all the ideas were just thrown together. It felt disjointed. I didn't understand many of the terms specific to this book because nothing was explained, nor were there enough hints provided for me
Tori [Bottles of Summer]
Sep 28, 2012 Tori [Bottles of Summer] marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: amazon-vine
Despite how many attempts I made to sit down and read POSSESSION (at least five different times and couldn't make it past page 20), I simply could not get into this story.

Perhaps it's burnout again. It's possible that I'm getting sick of the same typical dystopian societies in YA now. The girls are either baby makers, zombies are eating brains, or love is forbidden and girls are paired up with boys they're initially madly in love with... until they meet "the bad boy." Then all bets are off.

I tho
In all honesty, this is a review about a book I did not finish. I just couldn't. I made it halfway through but Elana Johnson's Possession made no sense to me whatsoever. It starts off strange and just gets stranger and more incoherent as I went along.

Synopsis: Vi knows the Rule: Girls don't walk with boys, and they never even think about kissing them. But no one makes Vi want to break the Rules more than Zenn...and since the Thinkers have chosen him as Vi's future match, how much trouble can one
Melanie Marks
Oh my gosh, so good! I loved this book!!!!!

Read it!!!

Here is the book blurb:

But the Thinkers are unusually persuasive, and they're set on convi
Jody
So, this is scary to write a review about this book, because the author is my friend, neighbor, sister in the Gospel, and my HOME TEACHER (she and her husband together home teach us). When I review books on Goodreads, I just say what I feel about whether I liked it or not. When I read other reviews, I notice that people get all professional by using phrases such as "beautiful prose", "lyrical", and "the imagery was astounding." I think if you were to look at some of my reviews you would see that ...more
Krys

I'm still in the mood for the Dystopian/Apocalyptic books, particularly so because the last few I read were fabulous. Possession by Elana Johnson was, however, a let down.

Violet lives with the Goodies, who always obey the Thinkers. The Baddies, however, live for themselves and break all of the rules. Vi knows what will get her into trouble and she breaks the rules anyways; walking with her match in the park after dark, which earn her a one way ticket to prison... in a cell with another boy named
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

The world in POSSESSION is a complicated mix of dystopian and sci-fi elements that unfortunately is never explained very well. The world is divided into two groups: The Goodies and the Baddies. The Goodies are those who obey the rules, create all the groundbreaking technology, submit to nightly brainwashing transmissions, and dedicate their lives to duty. The Baddies are the ones who live free and make their own rules. There are subdivisions in each gro
Jennifer Jensen (Literally Jen)
After a forbidden walk in the park with her match, Zenn, Violet loses her status as a Goodie. The Thinkers have been monitoring Vi's behavior for a long time--ever since her sister Ty's death when Violet unplugged herself from the transmissions that tells the Goodies how they are to think and act. While imprisoned, Vi meets Jag Barque, a young man who is a Baddie. Vi knows she no longer has a future with Zenn, who is now working for the Forces. She is drawn into Jag's world--one where he can thi ...more
Kristi
Hmmmmm.....

While I had fun reading this story, I'm not exactly sure how I feel about it.

Let's talk a little bit about the characters first. Vi. She is a kick-ass heroine. I'll give her that much, and I liked her, it was fun reading from her point of view. But does she have to get mad. At. Everything!? I felt like she was pissed off the entire novel. Pissed off or crying, it was one or the other, I needed to see something more from her. It was hard to get to know any of the other characters. Alt
Tiffany Mahaffy
As long as you plug in your fine. You can be a Goodie but what happens when you stop. Vi may know the rules but that doesn't mean that she likes them or follows them and living in a world where the thinkers control it all and control is power, is not easy. This is double true for Vi who wants to believe she is good but tends to do bad things. The question is, is there only black and white, good and bad or is there an area inbetween that she belongs to?

I really enjoyed this book. Dystopian is
Amy *Rawr*
Nancy

But the Thinkers are unusually persuasive, and they're set on convincing Vi to become one of them...starting by brainwashing Zenn. Vi can't leav
P.J.
Book 10 for 2011. Elana Johnson does a fantastic job of bringing something fresh and unique to the dystopian world with POSSESSION. What really makes POSSESSION stand apart is the fantastic voice of Violet. She's sarcastic, an unlikely heroine, and makes you fall in love with her just like the two guys in the love triangle. Totally recommended for fans of dystopic fiction and paranormal fantasy, seventh grade and up.
Vicky N.

Possession was one of those books I picked up with high expectations & that I really wanted to like.

I had several issues with this book, but the biggest one was the character's credibility. I know people act strange sometimes, but Vi & Jag surpassed that.

I don't think finishing this book would have relieved my confusion & frustration. Maybe someday I'll pick it up & give it another chance, who knows.

J. Dominique
I can't believe I made it as far as I did in this book.

The world building is virtually nonexistent and makes no whatsoever. The protagonist is dumb and dull. The plot was just . . . so all over the place. Complete disorganization, this book!
Jamie Harrington
You know those books that you sometimes think about for days and days after you read them? This is is exactly that sort of book, and I can't wait for everyone to fall as in love with it as I did!
Mary Lindsey
I was lucky enough to read an early version of this book and loved it. So excited it will be on the shelves soon.
GHS AP Literature...: Possession - Amanda 3 3 Sep 19, 2014 05:44AM
<3 ZENN 7 32 Jan 27, 2014 08:20AM
what happened to jag?!?! 8 34 Dec 09, 2012 04:14PM
Possession Giveaway Contest 2 30 Aug 17, 2012 09:44PM
Book Boyfriends: Possession 17 26 May 02, 2012 08:10AM
Teachers' Book Club: Possession 95 69 Mar 28, 2012 05:17PM
Sequel? 3 15 Mar 11, 2012 12:51PM
  • Memento Nora (Memento Nora, #1)
  • Neva
  • XVI (XVI, #1)
  • Scored
  • Future Imperfect (Future Imperfect, #1)
  • Awaken (Awaken, #1)
  • Those That Wake (Those That Wake, #1)
  • Drought
  • Restoring Harmony
  • Eden (The Eden Trilogy, #1)
  • The Predicteds
  • Shadows Cast By Stars
  • Cybernetic
  • The Glimpse (The Glimpse, #1)
  • Hourglass (Hourglass, #1)
  • The Water Wars
  • Bumped (Bumped, #1)
  • Luminous
I am the author of the POSSESSION series, which includes novels POSSESSION, SURRENDER, and ABANDON, as well as short stories REGRET (ebook only) and RESIST (free here on Goodreads).

ELEVATED, a YA contemporary romance in verse is out now.

My next futuristic fantasy series includes ELEMENTAL RUSH (novella), ELEMENTAL HUNGER (novel), and ELEMENTAL RELEASE (novella). All are available now!

My next nov
More about Elana Johnson...
Surrender (Possession, #2) Abandon (Possession, #3) Resist (Possession, #0.5) Regret (Possession, #1.5) Elevated

“As much as I didn't want to, I had to read Jag's note. I pulled it out of my back pocket. His handwriting still made my breath catch, but when I opened it, I wanted to cry.

The paper contained two words: Fly, babe.

I shredded it into little pieces. Fly? The stupid boy wanted me to fly? I'd fly off the handle when I caught up to him. Then he'd see me fly.”
61 likes
“He walked close enough to hold hands and far enough away that words could never repair the damage we'd done to each other.” 53 likes