Start by marking “Jacob's Rescue” as Want to Read:
Jacob's Rescue

Jacob's Rescue

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  449 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
Once Jacob Gutgeld lived with his family in a beautiful house in Warsaw, Poland. He went to school and played hide-and-seek in the woods with his friends. But everything changed the day the Nazi soldiers invaded in 1939. Suddenly it wasn't safe to be Jewish anymore.
Published January 1st 1994 by Dell Publishing Company (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Jacob's Rescue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jacob's Rescue

Matthew
Dec 10, 2008 Matthew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this was kinda of a sad book because a lot of people died. the book is baised on a true story the main person,jacob,helped make the book. he lost his aunt hannah, a vary good friend who's name is yurek ,his mom, brother, and grandma. two vary brave people, alex and mela rosela, did the most dangrous thing you could do during the holocaust, hid not one but two jews in their house. they risked their and their kids lives to save two other kids. before the war ended one of the roselans' kids got sho ...more
Madalyn
Mar 19, 2014 Madalyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book because it shows a great deal of emotion for a shorter novel. I only give it four out of five stars because I feel it ends to quickly. It doesn't really tell us everything that happens after WWII is over. The story is about a Jewish boy named Jacob. He grew up wealthy but after Germany invaded Poland he and his family are seperated. His father leaves because he knows it is not safe for him to stay, Jacob's brothers Soloman and David are sent to family in the country, and Jacod ...more
Krista Stevens
Jacob is a young Jew living in Poland when the Nazis invade and life changes drastically. His aunt slips him through the ghetto wall and he goes to live in hiding with a Christian family who put their lives on the line to try and save Jacob. They must move a few times to escape suspicious neighbors, but their loyalty to Jacob is strong. Suspenseful story. The only thing that bothered me was that Jacob cannot control his impulses - getting him in trouble several times - but that just didn't seem ...more
Ann Moody
May 23, 2015 Ann Moody rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent introduction into the Holocaust for young readers who can handle it. Jacob loses a lot of people in his life due to the horrors of Poland in WWII, and he is in constant danger himself, as are the non-Jewish people who hide him. He faces hunger, fear, and many other kinds of stress and frustration that children should never have to face.

But we are never exposed directly to the sickening graphic imagery of the brutal concentration camps. When my 3rd grader was assigned this,
Amanda Beckwith
Jun 18, 2012 Amanda Beckwith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stories of the Holocaust always bring tears to my eyes. It was a sad, sick time for Jews. Although it does not personally affect me or my family, it angers me to know that something so horrendous could happen. Read this with my fourth graders and they were all moved by help that Jacob and David got from Alex and Mela and got really emotional with all the death. This book was well written and I found it to be pretty appropriate for young readers. It's not like it speaks anything but the truth, we ...more
Kris Bagley
I loved this book, we are learning about the Holocaust for homeschool. Jacob's Rescue, I read as a Read-A-Loud to 4 out of my 5 children ages 12,10,9 and 7. All of my children loved this book about little Jacob who is a Jewish boy right in the center of WWII. Jacob's character is so well written, I felt what he was feeling and felt like I was right there in the book with him.

This book takes you through the life of a boy in hiding, along with the family that is risking everything to hide him. Ja
Alexa Hidalgo
Dec 12, 2014 Alexa Hidalgo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book so much because it gives a important life lesson. When reading this book i cry because it was so emotional.Jacob was a young boy that was in danger because the nazis soldiers.He had 2 more brothers wich he didn't saw because they took them away and send them to another country. The holocust was a sad time period in life because many jews people died and lost their homes.Jews people needed to hide and they didn't eat as much when nothing was happening. I recomend this book to all ...more
Andy Leonard
Sep 18, 2015 Andy Leonard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jacob's Rescue: A Holocaust Story
Malka Drucker
This book is about a child named Jacob who is a Jew during the rain of Hitler. He has lost all of his family and is fighting to stay alive. He meets a man named Alex who riskily helps him out of danger.
This book was very scary when Alex and his family tries to escape from Poland to a safer place away from the war.
You should read this book because it is very suspenseful and very action packed. I recommend this book for teens and up because there is a
Connor
Mar 02, 2008 Connor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very good holocaust story
Scott Peterson
Apr 15, 2010 Scott Peterson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Laura Verret
Jacob can remember a time when his family was rich and happy. Now they’ve been stuffed into a Polish ghetto made especially for Jews. If any of them is caught trying to leave, they will be shot on sight. But, then the rest of them are being slowly sent to ‘farms’ in the country – farms by the names of ‘Auschwitz’ and ‘Treblinka’. The Jews know what these farms really are. So is there such a huge difference between attempting to escape with the risk of being shot and staying behind to be sent to ...more
Julia
Jan 21, 2008 Julia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be alright. It is quite a hard book to read because you really do come to the realize how bad the Nazis treated people like Jacob. This book is about a Jewish boy named Jacob who is living in the the ghetto in the heart of world war 2. Jacob used to belong to a wealthy family and had everything taken away from him from the Nazis. One day he is sent to live with a kind polish family in hiding. It mainly talks about how they have to keep Jacob hidin and how the family has to m ...more
Michelle Polk
Jan 29, 2016 Michelle Polk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book dedicated to two people stood up for life when others looked the other way. My children and I enjoyed reading this book together.

Visitors are coming for seder dinner and Marissa wants to know who they are!
Jackie
Jacob Gutgeld retells his nightmareish experience to his daughter, Marissa in a flashback of the years during Hitler's reign. He and his brother, David, survive through the courage and love of Alex and Mela Roslan. The couple took them in and hid them when the Gutgeld family was desperately trying to find a way to stay safe and survive. Based on a true story, this tale is chilling and once again, relates the story of man's inhumanity towards his fellow man. Alex was steadfast in his courage and ...more
Ashley Ramirez
Jan 28, 2015 Ashley Ramirez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really sad. I always enjoyed reading books about the holocuats and so far this one was one of my favorites.
Avaladez1
Feb 04, 2010 Avaladez1 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The books I have been reading so far have never been the same as this one before. This is the very first ww2 book I have ever read where the story is told by a Jew boy. The boy was only about 11 when the Nazis invaded. They murdered everyone in sight who didnt obey the rules. They showed no mercy when they invaded poland.
The reason I chose this book is because it caught my attention when I looked at it. The boy looked like he was kidnapped or something. The way he was hiding under the desk whi
David Sim
Mar 11, 2015 David Sim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jacob-s-rescue
I like this book because even dough he missed his family but he lived with new aunt and uncle
Amira
Mar 23, 2015 Amira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
i LIKE THIS BOOK A LOT YOU SHOULD READ IT
Cheryl
Jul 24, 2014 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved using this book for lit/history units.
Baby Bommarito
May 18, 2013 Baby Bommarito rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked how a Jewish boy escaped from a concentration camp and now is living with another family. I now know how life was like when world war 2 was because the author tells you what life was like when a boy 12 years old escaped a concentration camp. For example the author tells how jacob got sick with scarlet fever and the doctor didnt have any medicine because of the war.
One sentence summary... Jacob wanted the war to end but the Germans took him to a concentration camp so he got the Russians t
M & N
Jan 15, 2009 M & N rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jewish-halocaust
We enjoyed this book. From the time of this boy and his family was taken by the Germans to the time of his rescue was not only relieving but also heartbreaking. The boy has two other brothers, he was taken in by a Polish family, hid, raised by the Polish family as best as possible. When the survivors were able to be reunited with any other surviving family members, Jacob and his brother are reunited with their father. This is a must read not for history sake but because it's a very moving book.
Courtney
May 14, 2010 Courtney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Haha I remember I read this on the bus coming home from school. I distinctly remember this girl in my neighborhood popping up from the seat infront of me and going "Hm... you must really like to read if you can read on a bus." She said it like she was just thinking aloud. Then she stared at me for a few seconds and sat back down in her seat. I was obsessed with holocaust stories for awhile, and this may have started that out. I bought it from a bookfair in 4th grade.
Trina
Nov 27, 2011 Trina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick read. A true story of a family that helped to hide a little Jewish boy. I loved how the story starts. He's an adult having his own Passover meal, in which his hiders are in attendance. His child asks who they are, and then it breaks into the story of his childhood and experience in hiding. Even though it's a book simple enough for my 8 year old to read and understand, I still found myself getting emotional with the story.
Elaine
Jun 10, 2012 Elaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Based on a true story.

Warsaw 1941-45

Jacob, Sholom and David Gutgeld were hidden by Alex and Mela Roslan from the Nazi's.

They weee given a medal in 1981 at Yad Vashem, the Holocaust Memorial in Isreal.

Alex and Mela's son was shot by the Germans. Sholom died of Scarlet fever.

The boys reunited with their father in Isreal but always thought of the Roslans as their real family. The Roslan's moved to the US.
Duane
May 02, 2008 Duane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It's easy to follow along and you really get to know the characters. It does a great job of dealing with a very dark topic and time in our history. A great read for a young person who is interested in the Holocaust or the prejudice of people who are different. Simple and direct, this book achieves what it was meant to do, educate people.
Linda
Very good story of WWII in Warsaw Poland. But it also has some very sad parts that will make you cry. The people who hide the boys were such an amazing couple and I enjoyed hearing how the "father" could always find a way to make things work for them all. Very touching read. They didn't just hide the boys, they became their family.
Melody
Nov 12, 2010 Melody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elizabeth and I are reading this together before bedtime.
This is an excellent story about the Holocaust in Poland. I never realized how harsh conditions were for the Polish people. This is a true story of a courageous couple who took in 3 Jewish children during the war. It's an inspiring story.
Jayden monson
Nov 28, 2012 Jayden monson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: homework-book
Wow! Wow! Wow! That was an amazing book. I have never read a book about the Holocaust before. It was great. You can really see God's hand in Jacob's life. There were so many times he was almost caught. If you like historical fiction and biography books about World War II, I would recommend this book to you.
Travis G
Dec 09, 2013 Travis G rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I thought that the book Jacob's Rescue by Malka Drucker was okay. The reason why I say this, is because the author did a good job of explaining detail, but she draged on some parts of the stories that didn't need to be added. Overall I would rate this book a 7.5 out of 10.
Lacy
Apr 21, 2011 Lacy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE to read true stories about people who fought against the Nazis in WWII. This was a very quick read and it really touched my heart. Would I be able to sacrifice my life AND the life of my entire family for someone ELSE'S children? I hope so. I'm not sure.
  • Daniel's Story
  • The Girl Who Survived: A True Story of the Holocaust
  • Man from the Other Side
  • The Pages In Between: A Holocaust Legacy of Two Families, One Home
  • Behind the Bedroom Wall
  • Promise Breaker
  • Escaping into the Night
  • Black Radishes (Black Radishes, #1)
  • Marika