Start by marking “Frog and Toad All Year (Frog and Toad, #3)” as Want to Read:
Frog and Toad All Year (Frog and Toad, #3)

Frog and Toad All Year (Frog and Toad #3)

4.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  26,463 Ratings  ·  162 Reviews

Friends all year.

Published September 5th 1984 by HarperCollins (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Frog and Toad All Year, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frog and Toad All Year

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Children's Books
214th out of 3,540 books — 5,273 voters
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussShapes Las Formas by Othen Donald Dale CummingsA Pet Banana by Othen Donald Dale CummingsMy First Travel Angelic Airline Adventures by Anna OthitisOne Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. Seuss
Books for five-year-olds
6th out of 308 books — 170 voters

More lists with this book...

Laura Verret
Jun 22, 2015 Laura Verret rated it really liked it
I honestly love Frog and Toad. They’ve been hilarious in previous installments, but reading Frog and Toad All Year really cemented the amphibious duo in my mind as favorite characters. They may be considered “children’s” characters, but honestly, their outlook on life is one which appeals to me most mightily – they are addicted to eating and comfort and the beauty of the small things in life. Take for example, this quip from Toad after Frog takes him out for a series of mishaps during the first ...more
Susan Mortimer
Nov 12, 2009 Susan Mortimer rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ages 4-8
Shelves: lis-565
This third of four Frog and Toad from Arnold Lobel provides five short stories describing the adventures of two friends throughout the seasons of the year. From the time they come out of their winter’s sleep to encounter the freshness of springtime, on through to their Christmas Eve spent together, Frog and Toad remain the best of friends despite their obvious yin and yang relationship. Lobel’s beautiful and soothingly colored drawings bring to life not only the funny adventures, but the dispara ...more
Jessica
Jan 20, 2015 Jessica rated it it was amazing
We had a bound book collection of Frog and Toad but this was not part of that volume. It's been fun to read some "new" stories that are not in our well loved bound volume.

Frog and Toad are just fun.

While we are using Frog and Toad to help with our new reader in the house we have been reading our children Frog and Toad probably since they were two. Fun for any age.
Annie
Oct 24, 2012 Annie rated it it was amazing
If you've read the first two books in the Frog and Toad series, by now you and your child are hooked!

This book, published in 1976, is the third of four books about Frog and Toad, written by Arnold Lobel. This book has five stories, starting and ending with Winter tales.

As usual, Toad is a bit negative and nervous, while Frog is calm, positive and dedicated to being a very good friend to Toad.

In "Down the Hill", Frog gets Toad to come outside and try sledding down a hill with him. Toad goes reluc
Lissa
Jul 21, 2012 Lissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals
The story I am reviewing from Frog and Toad All Year is Frog and Toad: Ice Cream. Both Frog and Toad wanted some ice cream, so Toad said he be right back and went off to get some ice cream. Toad didn't take into consideration that it was hot outside and the ice cream would melt by the time he got back to Frog. Toad was a mess by the time he got back, so in the end they both went to the ice cream store got some more ice cream and ate it right there under a tree. This is a fun story all about frie ...more
Matthew
Feb 22, 2014 Matthew rated it it was amazing
Frog and Toad are THE BEST. Frog and toad are best friends experiencing life in each other's company, and almost every one of these short stories contains warmth, hilarity, and communicates a positive lesson. Every Frog and Toad book is uber-entertaining and totally endearing, and I love the illustrative style. Honestly, it's difficult to believe that anyone has ever given a Frog and Toad book less than 5 stars.
Justin Sorbara-Hosker
May 03, 2016 Justin Sorbara-Hosker rated it it was amazing
Dad review: 5
Kid review: 5
Going through these again, and he's loved them for a couple of years now, so they have staying power - for both of us. I can see the near future where he won't be interested in these, or books like them - and I will miss reading Frog and Toad to him (and laughing).
David
Jan 30, 2011 David rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
Frog and Toad All Year (Frog and Toad #3) by Arnold Lobel is a classic beginning reader about two friends through the seasons: Frog who is optimistic and Toad who is pessimistic. Down The Hill features a classic Toad panic attack. The Corner is sweet. Ice Cream is quite funny. The Surprise is ironic. Christmas Eve is worried Toad at his best.

Themes include friendship and seasons. The text is large font, the dialog is easy to read, and there's sufficient word repetition for beginning and transit
Radek Gabinek
Apr 28, 2016 Radek Gabinek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Seria autorstwa Arnolda Lobela to prawdziwe cudo ! Książki te są najlepszym dowodem na to, że czasem krótka forma jest w stanie przypomnieć dorosłemu, a dziecko nauczyć jakimi wartościami powinien kierować się w życiu. Znajdziemy tu krótkie historyjki o parze przyjaciół, którzy pokazują nam wagę takich pojęć jak : przyjaźń, poświęcenie, ciekawość świata i otwarcie się na niego, opiekuńczość, współpraca i wiele wiele innych. Lobel uczy nas tych rzeczy za pomocą zgrabnych morałów, które umieszcza ...more
Devon Flaherty
Mar 18, 2016 Devon Flaherty rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: kids and families
The Frog and Toad series by Arnold Lobel, which we read in Harper’s Frog and Toad Storybook Treasury, which includes all four Frog and Toad books:

Frog and Toad Are Friends
Frog and Toad Together
Frog and Toad All Year
Days with Frog and Toad

Arnold Lobel, 1933-1987, was a children’s book illustrator and writer. He won several awards and praise–including the Caldecott–for books like Frog and Toad Are Friends, Mouse Soup, and Fables. He grew up in Schenectady, New York, went to art school, and mar
Twee
Sep 02, 2009 Twee rated it liked it
This is the first Frog and Toad book that I've read. The storylines were okay, but it was Frog and Toad's friendship that hooked me to the book. I thought it was great how Frog and Toad did things for each other without asking for anything in return. A friendship like theirs is one that is rarely seen. How many of us would go to someone's house, rake their leaves, and never say a word to the other person about it? I know I wouldn't keep my mouth shut.
Erik Akre
Feb 27, 2016 Erik Akre rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all children, especially those emerging into more-than-basic text
Shelves: young-children
When you're first learning to read, it can be hard to find books that truly engage and entertain you. The witty and even touching Frog and Toad stories do this successfully. They are among the "springboard" or "gateway" books: books that engage the reader in fine storytelling (especially characters and plot) while meeting the reader where she's at in her reading ability. From here, she can quickly move on to more complex text with a confidence that books will deliver enjoyment and intrigue. Frog ...more
Evan
Jul 07, 2009 Evan rated it it was amazing
I liked when Toad thought Frog was lost in the hole and cold, wet, and hungry. I liked the Toad when he got ice cream all over him. I liked the story when he was a little guy and he found the end of the world where the sun was.

I liked when the bird said to Toad, "You are all alone." Then he got mad.
Suzanna
Apr 18, 2014 Suzanna rated it really liked it
Frog and Toad All Year Long is a wonderful story about two best friends, Frog and Toad. The adventures of Frog and Toad are simple, but still unique and delightfully charming. The two characters in this book, Frog and Toad, are the perfect pair. Frog is always positive and excited, keeping Toad calm when things get a little scary. Toad is a little more nervous and tends to worry a little more than Frog so Frog helps to keep him happy. There personalities balance each other out. In this particula ...more
Ethelen V.
Mar 30, 2014 Ethelen V. rated it really liked it
Shelves: etl2368
Lobel, A., Lobel, A., & Harper & Row, P. (1976). Frog and toad all year. New York: Harper & Row.

I'm not sure about the current generation, but the Frog and Toad series were a classic when my sisters and my children were growing up. In this collection, Frog and Toad, the ultimate best friends, share good times and memories throughout the various seasons. They rake leaves, build snowmen, and count on each other throughout the year. They portray true, lasting friendship.

This is a begin
Jan 28, 2009 Laura rated it really liked it
This is my kids' favorite book. All four of them gather around and ask me to read it, particularly the story about the melting chocolate ice cream. Frog and Toad are awesome!
Angie
Jun 17, 2014 Angie rated it liked it
Synopsis: "Friends all year.
In winter, spring, summer, and fall, Frog and Toad are always together. Here is a wise and wonderful story for each season of the year-and one for Christmas, too."

My Review: Another classic to share with little ones, I must say all the Frog and Toad books are timeless and can be read for generations and still resonate. I love the friendship between Frog and Toad, I really do hope that Munchkin can learn to be a friend like they are. I will say though I was a little at
Becky
Mar 21, 2016 Becky rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016reviews
Frog and Toad All Year. An I Can Read Book. Arnold Lobel. 1976. HarperCollins. 64 pages.

Frog knocked at Toad's door. "Toad, wake up," he cried. "Come out and see how wonderful the winter is!" "I will not," said Toad. "I am in my warm bed." "Winter is beautiful," said Frog. "Come out and have fun." "Blah," said Toad. "I do not have any winter clothes." Frog came into the house. "I have brought you some things to wear," he said. Frog pushed a coat down over the top of Toad. Frog pulled snowpants u
Nicola Mansfield
Feb 25, 2011 Nicola Mansfield rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reason for Reading: Ds read aloud to me as his reader.

I've always enjoyed Arnold Lobel, but as a kid these Frog and Toad books didn't appeal to me so I've only discovered there charm as an adult.

This book sees the two friends through the year with a story for each of the seasons, beginning and ending with winter. In the first story Frog forces Toad out of the house to enjoy the winter weather but Toad would rather be home warm and snug in his bed. Next, on a rainy Spring day Frog tells Toad a st
Jj
Shelves: eldest-s-reading
Vance Allen
Jul 18, 2013 Vance Allen rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-reviews
This book is great. The pictures really support the text. I enjoy the way Toad is constantly tormented in some way. I have students who do not want to do anything and they relate to toad. The students I have who are teachers pets and active learners can relate more to Frog. The great thing about that is both types of students are staying engaged and learning. This is also a great book to use because some students have never seen snow. This book took them into a new world.
The author could have m
Alison Durbin
Apr 01, 2015 Alison Durbin rated it really liked it
I liked this book and what it could offer readers who are just starting chapter books. While this is a chapter book, the words on the pages are few- making it feel more like several mini-books. The stories can also seem funny to those who are familiar with the friendship of Frog and Toad. I also liked how this book, as the title mentions, takes place throughout the year. I would like to have this book in my library for my transitional book readers.
Jack
Sep 24, 2015 Jack rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: k-g-4
Frog and Toad All Year
Written and Illustrated by Arnold Lobel

Like many of the reviews, these were wonderful stories to share with young children as they build reading skills. The friendship of Frog and Toad and the growth of Toad as an individual are wonderful to witness. Not quit as good as Frog and Toad Are Friends or Frog and Toad Together.

Age Range: 4 - 8 years
Grade Level: Preschool - 3
Lexile Measure: 300L
Ryan Dreier
Feb 11, 2013 Ryan Dreier rated it really liked it
Out of all the easy readers that I picked out I enjoyed this one the most. I like the stories between frog and toad, they had a certain silliness to them that I think children would enjoy and understand, like in fall toad goes over to frog's house and frog goes to toad's house and they rake each other's lawns without the other knowing it, but then a wind picks up blowing the leaves all over the lawns leaving frog and toad to rake their own lawns the next day. I also laughed when toad didn't want ...more
Ethan
Aug 06, 2014 Ethan rated it really liked it
My favorite chapter was "Ice Cream." It was so funny because Toad was buying ice cream and it was melting and he ran and carried it and it fell on his face. A rabbit came by and said that there was a big monster that's brown with big horns. The monster was Toad. The horns were the ice cream cones and the big brown gooey stuff was chocolate ice cream.
Richard Ward
Jan 24, 2016 Richard Ward rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Young kids ready for a chapter book.
Best friends Frog (tall, green, and silly) and Toad (short, chunky, brown, and sillier) play outdoors winter, spring, summer, and fall, enjoying amphibian male bonding year round. Gentle humor, fun illustrations, and a text deliberately written for young readers ready to tackle a chapter book for the first time. Frog and Toad!
Sofia and Francine Dines
Oct 20, 2014 Sofia and Francine Dines rated it it was amazing
Mommy read this book to us, and we learned a lot about the four seasons. We have only experienced Summer and Autumn, so it was good to know about Winter and Spring. Our favorite part was when Toad is covered in ice cream, and everyone is scared because they think he is a monster.
Jess Irish
Aug 14, 2014 Jess Irish rated it it was amazing
If I had to choose my favorite from childhood, it would have to be the Frog & Toad series. While I read more fantastic, descriptive, mind-blowing books as a kid, these stories remained the salve of my childhood. Why are Frog & Toad so compelling, so soothing? Here are a few reasons I came up with:

1. Frog and Toad are hilarious. The perfect odd couple. And yes, they’re gay.

2. Frog and Toad live in the world we wish lived in. Kid play, adult comforts.

3. Friendship rules. This is the heart
Kelly Powell
This book was set up by little short stories about two friends and I honestly enjoyed reading this. The large pictures and shortened texts are perfect for first transitioning from picture books to chapter books.
  • Little Bear's Friend
  • Madeline and the Bad Hat
  • Daniel's Duck
  • Wagon Wheels
  • The Big Balloon Race
  • Danny and the Dinosaur (An I Can Read Book)
  • Harry and the Lady Next Door
  • Poppleton
  • Babar the King
  • Pompeii...Buried Alive!
Arnold Stark Lobel was a popular American author of children's books. Among his most popular books are those of the Frog and Toad series, and Mouse Soup, which won the Garden State Children's Book Award from the New Jersey Library Association.
More about Arnold Lobel...

Frog and Toad (5 books)
  • Frog and Toad Are Friends (Frog and Toad, #1)
  • Frog and Toad Together (Frog and Toad, #2)
  • Days with Frog and Toad (Frog and Toad, #4)
  • The Frogs and Toads All Sang