Start by marking “George and Martha” as Want to Read:
George and Martha

George and Martha (George and Martha)

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,001 Ratings  ·  87 Reviews
Two lovable hippos teach the meaning of friendship in five separate vignettes: "Split Pea Soup," "The Flying Machine," "The Tub," "The Mirror," "The Tooth."
Published September 11th 1974 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1972)

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'EngleAnne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
The Must-Have Series for Children Ages 6 to 12
74th out of 532 books — 1,047 voters
The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack KeatsGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownMake Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskeyMadeline by Ludwig BemelmansWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
Mensa k-3
35th out of 60 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
Who doesn't love George and Martha?! I loved this book as a child and have read this many times to my own.
Shannon Brasher
Sep 24, 2015 Shannon Brasher rated it it was amazing
George and Martha is an old favorite for me and is a new favorite for my three year old daughter as well. George and Martha are two great friends who have some quirky stories and adventures. Children will love reading these silly stories and also understand the power of friendship. I would read this to my students or just have the books available in the classroom library for personal reading. I could see this book turning into a fun writing prompt to have the students write their own George and ...more
Kate
Oct 05, 2011 Kate rated it liked it
I really liked reading George and Martha, and thought it was a wonderful inspiring book, that little kids would enjoy. It would be a great book to read to a class because it would help teach kids about the bonding of friendships and especially learning the golden rule "Treat others the way you want to be treated." I think a great activity to do with this book would be having the kids think of ways that you good be a good friend to someone and write a story about an adventure you took with this f ...more
Megan
I watched an awful lot of George and Martha on tv when my kids were little, never once suspecting there was a book in the background. But good things come to those who wait and this book showed up at a perfect time. It's a set of four funny stories about friendship and honesty with just two characters.

Then it gets interesting. But probably only if you are a teacher of young children. Here's how I used this book with great effect in my Year 1/2 classroom . . .

Firstly I'm really keen on stories w
Rachel Smalter Hall
George and Martha inspired me to write my own book about hippos when I was in third grade. It involved the underground railroad (which I thought was literally a railroad reached by trapdoor) and a claw-foot bathtub.
Natalie
Sep 26, 2015 Natalie rated it really liked it
Jen
Feb 26, 2014 Jen rated it really liked it
Laugh out loud funny-I can't believe I haven't read these...or maybe I was just too little to remember them.
Anna H
Jan 31, 2015 Anna H rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this!!!
(Even though I *do* like split pea soup...:D)
Samantha
5 short stories about 2 hippo friends.

Split Pea Soup—Martha loves to make Split Pea Soup and George hates to eat it. When he finally declares he can’t eat another spoonful Martha fesses up that she doesn’t like it much either.

The Flying Machine—George attempts to be the first flying hippo with help from a hot air balloon, but the balloon flies a solo trip when George steps out of the basket to lighten the load.

The Tub—George makes the mistake of peeking in on Martha when she is in the bath. He w
Lisa
Jan 01, 2011 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: kids with a sense of humor and their parents
This book has 5 short stories that have a good message that kids and adults need to be reminded of in a funny way. Each story features George and Martha, 2 large hippos with large teeth.
James Marshall is one of my favorite writers for children. When my 17 year old was younger we read every one of his books we could find--and there are a lot! His books make kids think--generally by showing bad behavior and how it effects others. He wrote a series of books featuring The Stupids--the title alone ma
Heidi Hart
Apr 07, 2014 Heidi Hart rated it it was amazing
Rediscovering Old Favorites with My Kids James Marshall's George and Martha stories were some of my favorite read-aloud books when I was a kid (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth). I thought the idea of pouring split pea soup into one's loafers was hilarious, and I loved the way Martha got revenge on George for violating her privacy in the bathtub. Now, I am delighted to find that these stories are truly timeless, and my little boys (1 and 3) love them as much as I did.
Sorento62
Nov 14, 2015 Sorento62 marked it as to-read
Goodreads recommended George and Martha (Two Lovable Hippos) to me because I shelved History of the Peloponnesian War.
Mitchell
This is the first book of the George and Martha and series. A simple picture book of short stories. A little too moralistic for me. But good enough art and text. Not bad.
Rena
Oct 28, 2015 Rena rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
George and Martha are "friends" that learn a lot from each other. That cheeky George learns not to be a peeping Tom from Martha, too. What are friends for, right?
Twila Warner
Oct 17, 2015 Twila Warner rated it it was amazing
George and Martha: The Complete Stories of Two Best Friends: Buy this, read this, even if you have no kids. The stories are hilarious and sweet.
kim
Dec 18, 2014 kim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, kids, picture
not as funny as i remember from my childhood. some of the mini stories teach a lesson, i see a little bit of humor, but also just some weirdness
Al James
Sep 13, 2011 Al James rated it really liked it
The power of friendship is always something that everyone should learn about and cherish. A good way for a person to learn about this is through this book. I like how the book doesn’t teach friendship by some serious and overly dramatic way, but as a humorous and often times goofy. This tone of happiness also shows in its illustration. The colors which seem to be crayoned have an upbeat feel as well as the characters portraits of gigantic hippos with equally gigantic teeth. I highly recommend te ...more
MJ
Nov 11, 2015 MJ rated it liked it
George scared Martha with a picture over the mirror. Alissa liked that part.
Heather
Oct 31, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it
I Love George & Martha!!!!
Cassy
Apr 17, 2011 Cassy rated it really liked it
The other day I was intensely aware of the corruption in the world, and so searching for something pure and true, I dug through my favorite childhood books and was delighted to find James Marshall's George and Martha. I'd somehow forgotten about these two lovable buffoons. I have to admit that I sat and read this three times in a row, with a hugs smile on my face.
Thank you Mr. Marshall for reminding me of the beauty of simplicity.
Breana Fitzgerald
I did not like this book. It has short stories and did not have any plot and one of them I found very inappropriate.
Mary
Dec 20, 2011 Mary rated it it was amazing
I love this series. I told the librarian the other day that George and Martha should be marriage counselors. One of my favorite lines is, "And Martha didn't say a word." This after she jumped off the dreaded high dive to save George's self-respect. I love George's gold tooth (the original was lost in a roller skating accident) and the flower Martha wears behind her ear. My kind of humor, and even my kids get it.
Kelsey
Apr 25, 2011 Kelsey rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This is a great friendship book. Sometimes, friends need space. It's okay for friends to want space and it's okay for friends to want to do other things. Sometimes young kids forget these things and they panic the first time someone says they don't want to hang out with them for the day. This would be a good book for the students to read who are going through friend troubles or friends who are in a fight!
Kristin Hamley
Aug 19, 2012 Kristin Hamley rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-books
Cute illustrations, and maybe I'm missing something, but I don't get the charm of the stories themselves. In the first story, George hides his soup in his loafers because he didn't like it. I'm not a fan of teaching kids to be sneaky, particularly when there isn't much more to the story than that. Once discovered, he doesn't have to eat the soup and gets a chocolate-chip cookie instead. Huh?
Jenna
I remember reading George and Martha as a child, but now as an adult I do not understand why I enjoyed this book. I strolled down memory lane in my mind when I opened the first few pages. The book offers good lines for poetry, but there were some short stories that I found disturbing. As a teacher or parent I would pick out the best ones and stay away from the unnecessary stories.
David
Sep 16, 2010 David rated it it was amazing
Five stories about George and Martha, who are “two great friends.” Their experiences together teach then to be even better friends. The stories are quirky and funny in a gentle way. They are fun to read aloud and also good for early readers. The James Marshall illustrations are classic in this first of a series of books about the hippo friends. For K - 3rd.
David
Feb 08, 2016 David rated it really liked it
George and Martha by James Marshall (HMH Books For Young Readers 1972)(Fiction - Children's). Five separate stories about two best friends; these little vignettes teach the meaning of friendship. These are laugh out loud funny, and some are no more than twenty words long! My rating: 8/10, finished 1973.
Samantha Penrose
Apr 06, 2009 Samantha Penrose rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Always be honest with your friends.
Sometimes friends can be selfish, or have their own best intrests in mind.
Friends need privacy.
Dont be self-centered...it annoys your friends.
Always be kind to your friends.

I remember just loving this as a kid...no particular reason...
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Feb 20, 2013 Randie D. Camp, M.S. rated it really liked it
This book is composed of two stories: Split Pea Soup and The Flying Machine. I didn't care so much for story one, but the second made me smile. Both stories do a great job of developing the characters and letting their distinct personalities show. Illustrations add humor to the text.
Dolly
Sep 07, 2009 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with them
I remember these books from my childhood, although I don't remember them as being one of my favorites. The stories are short and fairly easy to read; the characters are silly, but not overly so. Our girls liked these stories, but we won't likely go out of our way to read more.
  • Angus and the Ducks
  • Ira Sleeps Over
  • Best Friends for Frances
  • The Carrot Seed
  • William's Doll
  • Anansi and the Moss-Covered Rock
  • Henry and Mudge - The First Book (Henry and Mudge, #1)
  • Crictor
  • Animals Should Definitely Not Wear Clothing
  • Mouse Soup
  • The Three Little Pigs Book & CD
  • Tillie and the Wall
  • Miss Nelson Has a Field Day (Miss Nelson, #3)
  • But Excuse Me That Is My Book
  • Over in the Meadow
  • Umbrella
  • Piggie Pie!
  • Sam the Minuteman
James Edward Marshall (October 10, 1942 – October 13, 1992), who also wrote as Edward Marshall, was a children's author and illustrator.

His father worked on the railroad, was a band member in the 1930s, and his mother sang in the local church choir. His family later moved to Beaumont, Texas. Marshall said: "Beaumont is deep south and swampy and I hated it. I knew I would die if I stayed there so I
More about James Marshall...

George and Martha (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • George and Martha: The Complete Stories of Two Best Friends