Start by marking “Guards! Guards! - Graphic Novel (Discworld, #8)” as Want to Read:
Guards! Guards! - Graphic Novel (Discworld, #8)

Guards! Guards! - Graphic Novel (Discworld, #8)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  1,586 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Some night-time prowler is turning the (mostly) honest citizens of Ankh-Morpork into something resembling small charcoal biscuits. And that's a real problem for Captain Vimes, who must tramp the mean streets of the naked city looking for a seventy-foot-long fire-breathing dragon which, he believes, can help him with his enquiries. But there's more - now we get to see Ankh- ...more
Hardcover, Graphic Novel, 128 pages
Published December 14th 2000 by Gollancz (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Guards! Guards! - Graphic Novel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Guards! Guards! - Graphic Novel

Neville Ridley-smith
This was very disappointing in many ways. I remember reading the book about 15 years ago and thoroughly enjoying it - Pratchett was really starting to hit his stride. This adaptation conveys little of the humour.

Pratchett's humour is very much based on his turn of phrase, his descriptions and his timing. These are always going to be hard to translate into other mediums.

But it's not just that. As a plain comic it fails. The art is average. Worse than that, the panels often don't make sense. I im
Michael Murdoch

Some night-time prowler is turning the (mostly) honest citizens of Ankh-Morpork into something resembling small charcoal biscuits. And that's a real problem for Captain Vimes, who must tramp the mean streets of the naked city looking for a 70-foot-long fire-breathing dragon which, he believes, can help him with his enquiries. But there's more - now we get to see Ankh-Morpork in all its glory; illustrations so vibrant you can practically smell and taste the denizens of this delightful city (altho

Andres
Guardias! Guardias! es, hasta ahora, la mejor novela del Mundodisco que me he leído. Los ingeniosos apuntes de Lord Vetinari y la ridiculez de la City Watch la hacen un deleite de principio a fin. Esta adaptación está bastante bien realizada, las ilustraciones son muy buenas y me gusta el estilo, tanto en términos de trazo como de color. Obviamente, hubo que reducir el material para que encajara en viñetas y globitos. En general, les quedó bien, pero por momentos la narración se siente cortada y ...more
Julien V
The adaptation and transfer on a different medium was a little awkward, but this is still one of Terry Pratchett's best works, so how could you not enjoy it? Although you might want to read the original novel instead... This version is for hardcore fans.
Raj
This isn't a review of Guards Guards per se, a book that I've read a few times and am fond of, but of the graphic novel. The art here by Graham Higgins is nice, very different from the Josh Kirby stuff that I grew up with, but fitting for the grimy world of Ankh-Morpork and its inhabitants. The only problem is the same problem that afflicts all adaptations of Terry Pratchett: namely that so much of the humour comes from the narrative, the description and the footnotes, much of which is lost here ...more
P.D.R. Lindsay
This, I always think, is where Terry Pratchett decided that he could stretch himself and write good, Jonathon Swift style satire. Tentatively at first he gives us the beginnings of the characters of Sam Vimes, Fred Colon, Nobby Nobbs and the unbelievable Carrot Ironfoundason. They are what will become the Night Watch and finally the City Watch.

I had always been amused by the Pratchett novels about the witches and wizards and enjoyed Pratchett's obvious writing skill, horrible puns and whacky hu
MGMaudlin
My daughter bought this for me as a surprise Christmas gift, knowing I LOVE Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. This, it turns out, is the graphic novel edition of one of my favorite volumes (there are over 30!) GUARDS! GUARDS! I loved Pratchett in this form, too, a creative and fun way to re-experience a wonderful story featuring Vimes and Carrot. But read the novel first. You will not get the full fun otherwise.
Ondřej Puczok
Originální Stráže! Stráže! mám rád a jakožto zeměplošský nadšenec jsem si prostě jednou musel tento komiks pořídit (i když jenom sehnání je vzhledem k vyprodanosti poněkud těžší) a díky kamarádovi se povedlo. Nu co říci. V dějové lince je to dobré (hold Pratchett), bohužel kresba je na mě někdy až příliš zmatená a podivně nezeměplošská (v porovnání s Kidbym a Kirbym). Za přečtení ale knížka stojí...
Karen
Pratchett's already spare narrative style suffers from being further condensed into the comic format. I'd probably have had trouble following many of the abrupt transitions if I wasn't already familiar with the novel. Artwork is often quite appealing, though.
Bogdan Nicolae Capitanoiu
Good effort ...but for some reason it was way much funnier when reading TEXT.
(personal opinion: Terry does not need visual representations of his characters or maybe after u played the 90s games u are forever marked)
David
Not too bad. A quick read since it was mostly pictures. Follows the original story closely, though I recommend reading the actual book before picking this up!
Binky Bowberg
A fun adaptation of the novel Guards! Guards! and the Ankh-Morpork City Watch as they battle dragons.
Heather Iveson
I enjoyed this, but it's really best read as an extension of the novel. Someone not already familiar with the story is going to be confused at some of the developments and reasoning that are left out.
Nenangs
There are books that can be visualized better by a graphic novel format, this one is not such case.
Somehow I feel the book will be more "complete" in a novel format than the graphic novel format. Probably because my imagination was castrated by the pictures.

I can't wait to get a hand on the un-graphic-novel one.
Oni
Should read a novel format - I don't think that Pratchett translates well into comic - too much seems to be lost. Sadly, the art doesn't make up for it.

Honestly, read it while waiting for my phone to charge in the library. Don't think I would have picked this up at a store.
Nicola-ingrid
Not one of my favourite Discworld novels, so a friend bought me the graphic novel. A mix of the best bits of Pratchett's humour and the beautiful artwork of Graham Higgins. Some pages are just artwork, and yet it still manages to speak a thousand slightly-sarcastic words.
Berlindelight
Ein nette Idee, den genialen Band von Terry Pratchetts Wachen Introroman als Comic aufzulegen. Aber die gekürzte Form funktioniert fast nicht. Das wichtige, die Gesamtsynthese-bleibt auf der AStrecke. Nur was für absolute Fans der Scheibenweltreihe.
Jasmine
I didn't like this as far as graphic novels go. I didn't see a lot of names or sense in the comic. And I wanted to stop reading it about halfway though. It feels like something that you have to read the novel before you can read.
Keisha Keenleyside
I'm not rating this book as i never finished it, i get over halfway through before giving up on it mostly due to it seeming to be to slow, it did have its funny moments but i just couldn't finish it.
Kat
TOTALLY WORTH IT! Even for an abridged adaptation, it's beautifully rendered, and cleverly executed.
Ben White
Awful. Avoid, except as an object lesson in how not to adapt to a visual medium.
Francesco Zullo
Carino buon adattamento ma difficile ai limiti dell'impossibile superare l'originale!
Tazitazitazi
Jako zabavno! Ne sječam se kad sam se zadnji put tako glasno smijala uz neku knjigu.
Laura Anderson
Not as good as the novel - sometimes it felt like plot elements were being rushed.
Arthur Hall
Reasonably faithful to the original. A must-have for any Discworld collector.
Iain Watson
Guards! Guards! by Stephen Briggs (2000)
Tazzykatt
Tazzykatt marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
  • The Pratchett Portfolio: A Compendium of Discworld Characters (Gollancz S.F.)
  • GURPS Discworld: Adventures on the Back of the Turtle

More about Terry Pratchett...
Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1) Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1) Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1) Night Watch (Discworld, #29; City Watch #6)