Start by marking “The Art Of Discworld” as Want to Read:
The Art Of Discworld

The Art Of Discworld (Discworld Companion Books)

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  3,970 ratings  ·  46 reviews
A sumptuous illustrated journey through Terry Pratchett's DISCWORLD; a companion volume to THE LAST HERO
Paperback
Published by Orion Publishing Group (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Art Of Discworld, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art Of Discworld

Saoirse Sterling
If you're not a fan of Terry Pratchett or the Discworld series of books, this particular edition will probably sail right over your head. If you are, well, it's more than just the art of Discworld.

In the beginning, Discworld covers were done by Josh Kirby, who sadly passed away, handing the mantel on to Paul Kidby, whose similar yet independent style kept the Discworld spirit alive. This book features Kidby's work only, with sketches and finished articles alongside some never-before-seen materia
Hester
When I was young, my mother was very disturbed that in second grade, I was still reading picture books rather than chapter books. My father read my brother and I part of a chapter book every night, and I liked pictures. I was pressured away from picture books, only to become an art history(and math) major in college. Sometimes, kids do know what is best for them.
I do, however, now LOVE chapter books. Reading is one of my great joys in life, especially reading Terry Pratchett books. So imagine m
Geert Daelemans
A must have for Discworld fans

You know that feeling of browsing through old holiday snapshots? That melancholic feeling of those great times of the past. Those little moments that are still carved into your brain, hopefully never to erode away. Well, that is exactly the sentiment you experience when browsing through the Art of Discworld. That is, if you are one of those many people who have read quite a few of the Discworld novels. Have you never read one of those? What are you waiting for? Skip
Brenton Nichol
Why on EARTH have I not been reading Terry Pratchett's Discworld series all my life?? The simple commentary by the author and illustrator in this volume alone had me laughing out loud on nearly every page, and so Pratchett's actual novels must be brilliant and hilarious. Paul Kidby's "realistically cartoonish" style of drawing and painting must lend itself extremely well to Pratchett's satirical fantasy, and my only complaint about the volume is that there wasn't nearly enough of his art in it, ...more
Glimmerfee
Als großer Fan der Bücher von Terry Pratchetts Scheibenweltromanen, habe ich mich ganz besonders über dieses Buch gefreut, das ich zum Geburtstag geschenkt bekommen habe. Die Bilder von Paul Kidby sind sehr gelungen und werden von Terry Pratchetts Erklärungen abgerundet. So bekommt der Leser interessantes Hintergrundwissen z.B. wie der Charakter Tod entstand, ob Lord Vetinari ein Abbild des Fürsten von Machiavelli ist und wie er auf den Kater Greebo kam.
Für mich hat die Scheibenwelt durch diese
Res
Just as I pictured them: the Librarian, Lord Vetinari, most of the Watch, Greebo.

Better than I pictured them: Sam Vimes, swamp dragons, Tiffany and the Feegles, young Nanny Ogg, Angua, Ridcully.

Not quite as I pictured them: Old Nanny Ogg, Granny Weatherwax, Carrot.

Distressingly absent: Greebo as a human, Lady Sybil.
Isil
Sep 07, 2008 Isil rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans de Pratchett
Evidemment, ce livre d’illustrations s’adresse exclusivement aux fans de la série des Annales du Disque-Monde de Terry Pratchett. Si on ne connais pas la Mort (enfin celle du Disque-Monde hein, personne ne vous demande d’avoir eu une expérience paranormale !), Rincevent, le mage le plus nul de l’histoire de la magie (mais qui a le don de se trouver toujours là où il se passe quelque chose), Mémé Ciredutemps et la têtologie (eh oui, la sorcellerie c’est surtout un état d’esprit) ou Sam Vimaire e ...more
Jacobmartin
This is the kind of book you can really get into - find out what your favorite Discworld characters look like when not drawn on the Josh Kirby covers. But I like the Josh Kirby book covers, so the mileage of that statement may vary. I really liked this book because it shows you as an artist that you don't have to put illustrations into the actual novel for the illustrations inspired by a fictional work to, well, work, because a pictorial image is like a visual short story that conveys a message ...more
Vlad Shakhuro
Только для поклонников Пратчетта, прочитавших не менее 20-30 его книг. Прекрасные иллюстрации с кучей персонажей.
Jamie
Wanted a copy of this for years, did not disappoint. Paul Kidby is ridiculously good.
Chrissy
Only wish there was more.
Karen
Really more enjoyable than I thought it would be. It's not just the art of discworld, Terry Pratchett also writes about each of the characters profiled and gives a background on how he came up with the character and the story line, who influenced it, what charities and in one case a brownie troop encouraged him and made him an honorary member. He's just a delightful man that writes wonderful, funny science fiction. This isn't the book to start with if you've never read him, choose any Discworld ...more
sarah
If you enjoy any Discworld book you'd love this. The art is wonderful, just like his older novel covers which have always been my favorite to own. So flipping through this is very nostalgic. The sections on death and the night watch are standouts for sure, but then again everyone has their own favorite characters.

This is also fun to share with people who havent read any of Pratchetts novels, it gives a good background without too many 'spoilers'.

all i can critisize is that i wish it were longer.
Nicolas
Pour une fois, il ne s'agit pas d'un roman, mais d'un excellent roman sur le travail de Pratchett et Kidby.
les illustrations sont magnifiquement reproduites et les textes sont très intéressants (surtout ceux traitant de l'autre Pratchett, celui qui bosse la nuit).
Katikka
Beautiful art by Paul Kidby.
Herbert Smith
For any fan of Discworld, Paul Kidby's illustrations are a must. He has the rare skill of taking the characters from the page, and getting them exactly like the one in your head, only better. From the Librarian to Granny Weatherwax to Rincewind to Death, all are just perfect.
Aug 23, 2007 Jennifer rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pratchett Fans
Shelves: favorites
A little much for newbies to Pratchett, this is a treat for true pratchett fans. Though its hard to reformulate your own internal pictures of the characters, the illustrator is dead on with a lot of the portrayals. Definately one I pined after for a long time!
Serena
My Rating System:

Matthew
Excellent drawings of many discworld characters and settings. The picture of the Watch is a particular favorite, as is Great A'tuin. The drawings are of such high quality, and often spot on to my imaginings of the characters. Plus the notes are great fun.
Deborah
Fantastic! The pictures are of course first-rate, and it was interesting reading about how TP conceived many of my favourite Discworld characters.
Lea
The artwork is great, the descriptions by Pratchett are great, and the whole book is a must-read for any Pratchett fan! Paul Kidby does a great job of conveying Pratchett's crazy world.
Kate
Nothing could possilby beat the something wicked this way coes greebo pic, it is my lifes mission to have that, and the death and the moterbike (ala Soul Music) on my wall as posters
Orla
This was such an interesting book with commentary from the artist (Paul Kidby) but also Pratchett himself on the characters developed narratively over time and how that influenced the art.
Julia
Само като си помисля че ми отне толкова много време да схвана коя е Леля Ог! След всичките години четене на Пратчет, отново успя да ме изненада и развесели.
Caroline
Great art to go along with the Discworld novels. I love the style in here, and it's neat to have this as a reference while re-reading some of my favorites.
Veronika
Obrazová publikace s texty Terryho Pratchetta a ilustracemi Paula Kidbyho. Až neuvěřitelné, jak se některé postavy od Paula podobají těm mým v hlavě.
Sam
I love Kidby's artwork! He does fantastic work, and I enjoyed reading the little character tidbits that Pratchett threw in as well.
Aleksiel
Препоръчвам на всички почитатели на "Света на Диска", много изпипано издание със страхотни илюстрации и интересна информация!
Justin
A must have for any Disc World fan. Arguably the best coffee table book I have ever read. Also fun at parties
  • The Wyrdest Link: A Terry Pratchett Discworld Quizbook
  • The Oxford Book of Fantasy Stories
  • My Favorite Fantasy Story
  • Knights Of Madness
  • Legends 3 (Legends 1, Volume 3of3)
  • Terry Pratchett
  • The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy II
  • Spectrum 12: The Best in Contemporary Fantastic Art
  • The Complete Peanuts, 1955-1958
  • Planet of No Return
  • Arcimboldo (Taschen Basic Art)
  • The Boys' Book: How To Be The Best At Everything
  • The World of the "Dark Crystal"
  • Only Human
  • Spectrum 7: The Best in Contemporary Fantastic Art

More about Terry Pratchett...

Discworld Companion Books (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Discworld Companion
  • The New Discworld Companion
  • Turtle Recall: The Discworld Companion . . . So Far
  • The Wit and Wisdom of Discworld
  • The Folklore of Discworld
  • The Compleat Ankh-Morpork: City Guide
  • Nanny Ogg's Cookbook: A Useful and Improving Almanack of Information Including Astonishing Recipes from Terry Pratchett's Discworld
  • Discworld's Unseen University Diary 1998
  • Discworld's Ankh Morpork City Watch Diary 1999
  • Discworld Assassins' Guild Yearbook and Diary 2000
Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1) Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1) Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1) Night Watch (Discworld, #29; City Watch #6)

“Sometimes I get nice letters from people who know they're due to meet him (Death) soon, and hope I've got him right.
Those are the kind of letters that cause me to stare at the wall for some time.”
9 likes