Start by marking “Dead Like You (Roy Grace, #6)” as Want to Read:
Dead Like You (Roy Grace, #6)

Dead Like You (Roy Grace #6)

4.07  ·  Rating Details ·  3,962 Ratings  ·  278 Reviews
Detective Superintendent Roy Grace is forever haunted by the unexplained disappearance of his wife, Sandy, nearly ten years ago. Ever since she went missing, he's been consumed with finding out what happened to her. Finally, he may be moving on. He has fallen in love and is going to marry his girlfriend, Cleo, who is pregnant with their child.

But his life is put on hold wh
Published November 23rd 2010 by Minotaur Books (first published January 1st 2010)

LJ
First Sentence: We all make mistakes, all of the time.

In 1997, Brighton was on the hunt for a serial, stranger rapist. The perpetrator was never caught but the rapes suddenly stopped. Twelve years later, stranger rapes are happening again. The common thread is shoes; the victims all share a love for expensive, designer shoes which are used in their rape and taken from them. DS Roy Grace leads the team hunting down “The Shoe Man,” while awaiting the birth of his first child and still trying to so
trishtrash
This is the first Peter James book I’ve read, and it lands, I think, five books into a series following detective Roy Grace. In Dead Like You, Grace is after a brutal rapist whose M.O. begins to look very much like that of an number of unresolved cold cases that are sitting on his desk for review; those of the ‘Shoe Man’.

There’s a lot of acclaim for the series, the author, and this book (four star ratings and good reviews on most of the reading-related sites I’ve checked), so I was very surprise
Bettie☯
Nutty NUUT read

Opening: Thursday 25 December

We all make mistakes, all of the time. Mostly trivial stuff, like forgetting to return a phone call, or to put money in a parking meter, or to pick up milk at the supermarket. But sometimes – luckily very rarely – we make the big one.The kind of mistake that could cost us our life.The kind of mistake Rachael Ryan made.And she had a long time to reflect on it.If … she had been less drunk. If … it hadn’t been so sodding freezing cold. If … it hadn’t beg
Sep 12, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are a few things that annoyed me about this book and those things stopped me giving it four stars but I would have certainly given three and a half stars if that were possible. So, let’s talk about the things that annoyed me… Glen Branson has become incredibly irritating to me. I don’t care that his wife left him, his wife was a horrible bitch anyway, his incessant whining has run its course I feel and there surely cannot be much more. Please don’t let there be any more. There was a line a ...more
Bill Ward
Jun 10, 2014 Bill Ward rated it liked it
This is a larger book than the previous ones I have read featuring Roy Grace and while it was a pleasant read it wasn't as gripping as I would have hoped. The more recent books of this series I've found to be a bit slow and this was the slowest so far and at almost twice the size of some of his books, I did find myself fast reading in places.
The book started well and then the last quarter was good as we started to narrow down the suspects and look for a conclusion as to who was guilty and was it
Tobyann Aparisi
Mar 17, 2011 Tobyann Aparisi rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: love this book, recommend to anyone
Recommended to Tobyann by: first reads
What a creative, and awesome serial killer/rape story. I was so entralled in this story that I could not put it down. Awesome, well described detective story with the creep factor. Loved this book, really want to read more from this author, his style is fluid and descriptive. You really feel and get into the characters and the wonderful description of England makes you feel like you are there (and I have always wanted to go there). Wonderful book really

thank you so much for picking me for the fi
Andrew
Oct 23, 2015 Andrew rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars. Another excellent book in this police procedural. I like the way that we go through the the whole process with the police, as well as being with the criminals and other suspects. Also a very good group of recurring characters within this series.
Karen
Jan 22, 2017 Karen rated it really liked it
I seem to be in a bit of a reading slump....but this series is a good "go to" for me, well written, interesting characters who are not perfect, and difficult to figure out who "done it" ~! Just the ticket for me right now. I recommend this series no matter what your situation is!
Best Crime Books & More
Jun 19, 2012 Best Crime Books & More rated it really liked it
I first picked up a Peter James book a while back entitled `Dead Simple'. It was (luckily for me) the first in the Roy Grace Series and was based around a harmless stag night prank that went wrong. From that book I was hooked and each of the 4 books that followed was fantastic. Thankfully this latest instalment is no different. This latest Roy Grace offering is pretty hefty with a massive 500 pages. This didn't put me off, in actual fact quite the opposite.

This story all starts following the bru
Charles
Dec 04, 2010 Charles rated it liked it
I received this book as an ARC from Goodreads. Thanks again to Goodreads for another great opportunity.

I was not familiar with this author prior to receiving Dead Like You. Before I started the book I briefly researched Peter James. Based on research I had great expectations for Dead Like You.

The author started off well in chapter 1. Unfortunately, the author didn’t continue to deliver at the same pace. The book and storyline plodded along for well over half the book. A number of characters are
Gloria Feit
Oct 13, 2015 Gloria Feit rated it really liked it
It was inevitable: A serial killer, and a real psycho at that, in Brighton finally offers Detective Superintendent Roy Grace a challenge in the eleventh novel in this distinguished series. Called the Brighton Brander, his MO is to burn U R Dead on his victims’ right thighs after abducting them and keeping them encased in a coffin-like container for a period of time while he toys with them.

What makes this plot more interesting is that the current wave of snatches may be related to murders many ye
J.R.
Oct 23, 2010 J.R. rated it really liked it
Shelves: thrillers
A woman is brutally raped after a New Year’s Eve ball at a major hotel. A week later, the rapist attacks another woman. In both cases designer shoes have been taken by the assailant—a signature which calls to mind a similar series of rapes 12 years earlier.

Detective Superintendent Roy Grace is haunted by the earlier crimes because the last victim vanished in a manner eerily similar to the disappearance of his wife. Now, preparing to remarry, Grace is determined to nab the offender.

Peter James de
Angelique Jurd
Apr 28, 2012 Angelique Jurd rated it really liked it
Detective Superintendent Roy Grace of the Brighton Police Force has a bad feeling about a spate of stranger rapes that have taken place in his city. The MO appears to resemble that of a rapist, and possibly killer, he was unable to stop 12 years earlier.

The similarities force Grace to examine a period of his life that was extremely painful. At the time his wife was unaccepting of his career and put huge demands on his attention and time; when she eventually disappeared, to never resurface, Grace
Ankur
Sep 01, 2013 Ankur rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Another book i picked up recently in my quest to read new notable authors. Peter James was well liked and so i chose this book for my reading, especially because it's a long mystery novel.

DS Grace is working on old cases and that reminds him of his shoe-man case. Based in 1998, Grace was never able to solve the case and the connected disappearance of a girl called Rachel Ryan.

Novel is timed around the eve of Christmas and new year.

Once again rape cases similar to the "shoe-man" cases of 1998 s
Samantha Cosham
Aug 12, 2013 Samantha Cosham rated it it was amazing
This was a slightly different approach with delineated storytelling that sees two different Grace investigations separated by ten or so years. Both dealing with the same perpetrator, the Shoe Man.

We are introduced to several potential culprits and begin to look for similarities between them in both time scales. Are both Shoe Men the same or is there a copycat? Can Grace pin him down this time, where he failed before?

The classic third twist is there and I am hoping leads to a resurrection in a
Knigoqdec
Jan 21, 2016 Knigoqdec rated it really liked it
Случай, замразен от 12 години отново излиза на линия, когато започват да се случват неща, много подобни на онези от 97-ма...
Това е една много брутална книга, която ме кара да се радвам, че не съм почитател на обувките с високи токчета и хич не им разбирам. И също така е и книга, с която си припомних една от милиардите си детски мечти, в случая - да работя като детектив xD
Колебаех се в оценката, но все пак книгата беше увлекателна. Добри психологически профили както на престъпниците, така и на по
comfort
I have read recently that Peter James did extensive research with the Police Force to get all his facts straight. BUT the research he must have done for the shoes mentioned in this book is mind-boggling.

A killer re-surfaces after 12 years layoff. There are a few similarities but he has changed some of this MO. SO whilst the police are fairly sure it is the same person there is a bit of a doubt and it may be a cop-cat killer.

In the meantime another killer seems to emerge. We hear this "potential"
Tessa Celie
Dec 10, 2013 Tessa Celie rated it liked it
Van alle Peter James' die ik tot nu toe las, de minst goeie.
Het heen en weer hoppen in de tijd, maakt het moeilijk om in het verhaal te komen. Ook niet niet alle verhaallijnen worden neergelegd op het einde van het boek.
James schept de verwachting dat je eindelijk - nadat hij in de vorige boeken het verhaal gestaag opbouwde - te weten komt wat er met Sandy is gebeurd, maar niks is minder waar.
Op het einde van het boek zit je dus met een mengeling van honger-naar-meer en teleurstelling om het
Eva
Jun 04, 2012 Eva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally a traditional British detective story :) Liked it even though the first half is difficult to remember all personages included in two timelines. Sometimes too many details of police work but really a good read. Recommend it.
Svein F Hestvaag
Jan 18, 2016 Svein F Hestvaag rated it really liked it
Starting to get a bit tired of James’ obsession with police titles, abbreviations; and the repetitive description of characters... Probably because I’ve read the six first Grace novels in rapid succession. Can’t stop yet, though :-)
Gary
Feb 02, 2013 Gary rated it liked it
The 6th book in the Roy Grace series by Peter James.
Another good read that is longer than usual(550+ pages). Peter James continues to drip feed the sub plots in order that you feel the need to continue with the series.
Windy
Jul 09, 2016 Windy rated it really liked it
Compelling read which flits between two times in Grace's career, looking at two similar cases - coincidence or the same killer restarting his spree?
2,5
Exciting at first, then by the halfway mark I had figured out who had done it. But an extra 0,5 point because of the little twist at the end.
Still too many descriptions.
Carey Combe
Mar 16, 2015 Hayley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Usual, gripping page-turner from Peter James
Steve Cann
Jan 15, 2017 Steve Cann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent entry in the Roy Grace detective series, this book certainly has all the ingredients that made the previous books so good - a clever and cunning murderer, painstaking attention to detail of police procedures/operations, a fair share of red herrings, some back-and-forth timelines and of course a pulsating climax where the reader hopes the whole story will be finally resolved, and DS Grace will save the day.

The story this time concerns a mysterious and deranged serial rapist dubb
Colin Mitchell
This is a long novel, over 600 pages in the edition I read, however, Peter James brings together the various threads well. It did help that I had read the previous books and had the background to Detective Superintendent Grace's various relationships, both personal and at work.

The book moved at a good pace and I was soon passed half way and into the story. Probably the best of the Grace novels so far.
Jo Marchant
Nov 14, 2016 Jo Marchant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another stonking read in this series, I really love these books, they are so good and reading them in sequence is really good too, being able to follow the lives of the main re-occurring characters. A very good story and a stark warning to all social media users though about broadcasting their plans to everyone.
Debbie Johnson
Jan 06, 2017 Debbie Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great read

clever and enthralling, kept me guessing for most of the book. clever twist in the tail. lives up to the expected standard
  • Good As Dead (Tom Thorne, #10)
  • Shatter The Bones (Logan McRae, #7)
  • Rough Justice (Dan Shepherd, #7)
  • The Last 10 Seconds (Tina Boyd #5)
  • Bad Boy (Inspector Banks, #19)
  • Fatal Frost (Detective Jack Frost Prequel, #2)
  • Burial
  • Saints of New York
  • The Last Good Man (Niels Bentzon, #1)
  • Random
  • The Impossible Dead
  • The Keeper (D.I. Sean Corrigan, #2)
207356
Peter James has been a screenwriter and film producer, and is now the author of best selling crime novels. James has written 25 books, the most recent of which feature Brighton-based Detective Superintendent Roy Grace. His books have been translated into 29 languages. In England they are published by Pan Books and in the US by Carroll & Graf Publishers. James has written supernatural thrillers ...more
More about Peter James...

Roy Grace (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Dead Simple (Roy Grace, #1)
  • Looking Good Dead (Roy Grace, #2)
  • Not Dead Enough (Roy Grace, #3)
  • Dead Man's Footsteps (Roy Grace, #4)
  • Dead Tomorrow (Roy Grace, #5)
  • Dead Man's Grip (Roy Grace, #7)
  • Not Dead Yet (Roy Grace, #8)
  • Dead Man's Time (Roy Grace, #9)
  • Want You Dead (Roy Grace, #10)
  • You Are Dead (Roy Grace, #11)

“All men lie. That's how they operate. if you want a longterm relationship with a man you've got to understand it's going to be with a liar. It's in their nature - it's genetic, it's a bloody Darwinian acquired characteristic for survival, OK? They tell you what they want you to hear.” 26 likes
“The world is a dangerous place (...) There will always be blurred boundaries. There are plenty of good bad guys and bad good guys. Life's not clear and it's seldom fair (...) I don't want our child growing up under the illusion that it is. Shit happens.” 1 likes