Start by marking “Jingo (Discworld, #21)” as Want to Read:
Jingo (Discworld, #21)

Jingo (Discworld #21)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  28,889 ratings  ·  531 reviews
Read by Tony Robinson

'Neighbours... hah. People'd live for ages side by side, nodding at one another amicably on their way to work, and then some trivial thing would happen and someone would be having a garden fork removed from their ear.'

Throughout history, there's always been a perfectly good reason to start a war. Never more so if it is over a 'strategic' piece of old r
Audio CD, Abridged, 3 pages
Published February 2nd 2006 by Corgi Audio (first published November 11th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Jingo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jingo

Nathan
The Complete Discworld Reread

I am a Granny Weatherwax guy. With no hesitation. You ask me which Pratchett story arc is the best and I will yell to the world how awesome the witches of Lancre are. But I got a dirty secret; it wasn’t always this way to me. Granny is the other woman, the one I left my first love for. Before I fell in love with Granny, I was a city watch man through and through. Reading Jingo again has reminded me exactly why.

It is not the best book of the Discworld series, not by a
Chris
A strange foreign country across the sea, a moneyed aristocracy eager to send young men off to war, political operatives using a flimsy pretext to incite nationalist and racist fervor to encourage said war....

Sounds unpleasantly familiar, which is probably why I was drawn to reading this book.

This is one of the Watch books in the Discworld series, and like so many of those books deals with the intersection between law and politics. In this case, a mysterious island surfaces halfway between the g
Wastrel
Con: largely disposable within the context of Discworld and feels a little like an afterthought. Highly patronising, with vague suggestions of some somewhat iffy political assumptions. Inadequate plot (partly I think on purpose).

Pro: very funny. Surprisingly enjoyable. A chance to see the Watch characters in a slightly more normal situation and at a relaxed pace, at least in the first half of the book.

Summary: I always remembered the downsides and thought this was one of the worst Discworld nove
Andree
Enjoyed it a lot. Didn't love it.

Thing is, I often enjoy Terry Pratchett. Particularly the books featuring either the Watch, or the witches. I like the books better when they're set in a familiar location.

I really enjoyed the first half of this, with the watch sort of blundering around Ankh Morpok, with hilarious results. The Watch doing any kind of detective work is always fun!times. And I really enjoy Vimes and Sybil together.

I also really enjoyed the last sixty pages or so. Vimes' butler is p
Melanie Brown
Ankh-Morpork gets involved in a war with Klatch and the Discworld equivalent of Atlantis, Leshp, is about to rise. It is up to the Watch, Vimes, Colon, Carrot and all the rest to find a way to prevent it. In Jingo the Discworld looks into the dark heart of war, land disputes, assassination, science and weapons development, and prejudice. Of course, Terry Pratchett does it in his special way, sneaking it in here and there and occasionally hitting you head on with it. Of course, there is a lot mor ...more
Melinda Snodgrass
I came to Terry Pratchett late which meant I have this lovely, long line of books to graze through. Pratchett's Discworld is just our world, but amplified by the presence of witches and wizards, and Death is a character, and a lovely old duffer with a charming, if prickly, granddaughter. Rounding out the cast is the enigmatic ruler of THe Discworld's major city, and the various citizens of that city from thieves and beggars, and bankers, and trying to help keep order over this motley crew is the ...more
Fiona
It's not very often in the next few months that I'm going to get to read a whole book in a day, so I thought, in for a penny, in for a pound, took a Sunday off and settled down with Commander Vimes and a bar of Dairy Milk.

It was a good choice. Of course it was. I've been recommended 'Jingo' several times, and it's perfectly obvious why: it's exactly my kind of thing. A lot of page time is spent on my favourite supporting cast (Vetinari, Carrot, Angua) and Lady Sybil gets a good few pages of bein
Emily
Jun 07, 2007 Emily rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Discworld fans, Night Watch fans
I've read this a few times, actually. Some of the fine details of the plot I still didn't remember until I read it just now. Part of this might just be poor memory (it's sort of nice to have that for books, actually, as some of the contents still come as a surprise upon rereading. I may remember the gist, but how exactly it comes about is still "novel"), and part of it might be that some of the major plot points are actually a bit unclear, even after they are revealed, in a single conversation.

I
Zorena
War! What is it good for! A good laugh if Pratchett is writing about it and an even better laugh if the Watch is involved. In this case winning a war just means being at the right place and at he right time. Which is unfortunate for Vimes' pocket disorganizer.

Terry manages to show just how ludicrous most of the reasons for going to war are. Drawing from current events also manages to drive his point home. I also loved the addition of women's rights and Corporal Nobbs statement I've only been a w
Frank
I'm addicted to Discworld novels about the Watch. Help me . . . oh wait, don't help me. They're fun and I really like reading them. This one was really good, and had some really great moments. Especially the organizer on an alternate timeline . . .
Enas
αυτό είναι το πρώτο βιβλίο του terry pratchett και της σειράς discworld που κατάφερα να τελειώσω, αφού για διάφορους λόγους δεν κατάφερα να ολοκληρώσω τα προηγούμενα που έπεσαν στα χέρια μου.

στο φανταστικό κόσμο του terry pratchett συναντάς όλα τα πλάσματα που ανήκουν στο χώρο του φανταστικού: μάγους, ξωτικά, τρολλ, νάνους, λυκάνθρωπους κλπ. όμως οι αναφορές στον πραγματικό κόσμο καταλαμβάνουν εξίσου μέρος στις ιστορίες του και έτσι προκύπτει ένα αρκετά απολαυστικό αποτέλεσμα.

στο συγκεκριμένο βι
Juliet
Jingo seems like the exact replica of my country's woes right now. Complete with bungling security ops and 'rush-to-action-regret-later' Commander Sam Vimes. There was that point when Ankh-Morporkians attacked each other in the alleyways of Klatch. Hilarious!

Lord Vetinari, Carrot and Nobby are my heroes in this Discworld story.

Vetinari triumphs with his quiet thinking, planning and execution while everyone yells in panic, conviction, pain and scheming disarray.

I should copy Carrot more. Take a
Thomas Murphy
I'm with a number of other reviewers when it comes to Jingo. It isn't a bad book and it has its fair share of amusing and even laugh out loud bits. The problem with Pratchett, I think, is that he doesn't do "big themes" well.

What I mean by this is that he has a good understanding of the way the world works but he cannot translate that into excellent fiction. He is always much better when he is writing about humanity at the micro rather than the macro level.

The discipline of writing reviews reall
Peter
War - what is it good for?: 'Jingo' is Terry Prathett's 21st Discworld novel, and the 4th to feature Sam Vimes and the City Watch as lead characters. The 3 previous City Watch novels - 'Guards! Guards!', 'Men At Arms' and 'Feet Of Clay' ranked amongst the very best of the Discworld novels, but sadly 'Jingo' is a more middling Pratchett work. It's by no means a bad book as such, and contains plenty of good jokes along the way, but compared to the depth of 'Feet of Clay' in terms of plot construct ...more
Priscilla
Aug 07, 2010 Priscilla rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Priscilla by: Meredith Bratcher
This is one of the richest Pratchett books I've read so far. The characters of Vimes and the Patrician are more nuanced and layered in this book than any other so far. The issue of the role of a policeman in keeping the peace versus an army in waging war was well explored and it kept reminding me of George Bush's reaction to 9/`1. At the time, many observers and citizens called for treating the perpetrators as criminals and using our system of policing and courts to bring them to justice. But Bu ...more
Michael Clemens
Another trip to the Watch for Pratchett and the Disc, this time with our brave men and women of the badge caught up in nationalistic, jingoistic fervor as war brews over the sudden appearance of an island conveniently between two old enemies. Certainly one of the more bitingly satirical of the Disc, confronting small-minded attitudes about race, religion, and the dining habits of those from "forn parts." That's the good portion, and quite a large portion of the book is good. (view spoiler) ...more
Andy Smith
I decided to catch up on some of the Discworld novels I'd missed since I stopped reading them in the late 90s. Jingo was where I'd left off all those years ago.

I was a bit worried that maybe it would seem childish to me after having not read Discworld for so long, but I'm pleased to say that this was not the case. Of course there's none of the extremely explicit violence and gore nor galactic scale far future hard sci-fi/space opera conspiracy that is my usual fare. But it's no less important a
Kathleen
Of course the symbol of the peace has to be a truncheon and not a sword. I love how immoral, generally misanthropic, and vaguely stupid the guards tend to be, for the fantastic heroes that they are.

I totally called the Honor Among Police plot line, and I loved it. I also loved the underlying message of the novel and Vimes' view of people going to war over the little things.

Funny, anti-war, and well plotted. I highly recommend this book.
Chris
Not the best, not the worst. I'm not quite sure how to feel about the Watch, as it moves forward. There are characters I love, like Angua, but I'm not sure I like Carrot as much as I did in the beginning. The almost unbelievable naivity and cluelessness, which still being very smart and savvy about leadership, just wears on you after a while. Especially when it's so ambiguous as to whether he is self aware or not. His constant misreads of Angua's thoughts and emotions are particularly irritating ...more
Greg Crites
The sheer volume of hilarity this man gave us is incalculable. More jokes, word-for-word, page-after-page, than any other has strung together since we first started painting stick-figures of four-legged lunch on dank rock walls. More importantly, beneath the fun is an unbroken strand of brilliant conceptual thinking. Jingo is far more than a hilarious read. It is a cogent examination of human interaction, expressed with humor, wit, cunning, and sarcasm. As a writer of twenty-plus humor novels my ...more
Carly
Excellent Vimes book, and good one to start with. Pratchett's satire of racism, imperialism, and, as the title might suggest, jingoism.
Also features fun with the split in the Trousers of Time, Vimes' first struggles with his wife's well-meant gift of a Dis-Organizer, and an enjoyable submarine ride with only Leonardo de Quirm, crazy genius, Vetinari, tyrant, Sgt Colin, complete moron, and Nobby Nobbs, possibly human, as passengers.
Also features Carrot, the unrecognized king of Ankh Morpork, acti
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
I felt like this was more a collection of jokes than a plot. There were some interesting bits of characterization, but everyone marveling over how Carrot is too good and strange to be human is getting a little old. Halfway through I was really tempted to quit. But I kept going. Then a while later I realized I was only reading because I wanted to know why 71 Hour Ahmed was called that. And I said, heck with this, I can look that up on the Discworld wiki.

I did read ahead to the end, though, and I
Rebecca Huston
This time, Terry Pratchett takes on the tricky aspect of war. But there's a heavy dash of humour, and cynicism and a harsh look at our own world. Leonard of Quirm plays a vital role, Sam Vines is up to his neck in all sorts of trouble, and we get to see a very rare side of the Patrician. Not to mention 71-Hour Ahmed. Some serious moments, and it's a very amusing, if dark, read. Five stars, and recommended.

For the longer review, please go here:
J-Man
Narednik Kolon bio je čovek veoma širokog obrazovanja. Završio je školu „Moj stari je uvek govorio” i fakultet „Jasno je ko dan”, a sada je bio na postdiplomskim studijama na univerzitetu „Reče mi neko u krčmi.”
:-D
Danielle Futoran
James Bunyan
Brilliant commentary on the human condition, as ever.

"And then [Vimes] realised he was wondering if the attack on Goriff's shop had been organised by the same people, and whether those same people had set fire to the embassy.

And then he realised why he was thinking like this.

It was because he wanted there to be conspirators. It was much better to imagine men in some smoky room somewhere, made mad and cynical by privilege and power, plotting over the brandy. You had to cling to this sort of imag
Olga Godim
Let’s be patriotic. Let’s show those Klatchians what Ankh-Morpork is made of!

Such sentiments are on the rise in the famous Discworld city, as its denizens gird themselves for war. Shop owners and aristocrats, butlers and assassins march to the glorious war drums. The Klatchians, some of whom have lived in Ankh-Morpork for generations and don’t even speak their ‘native’ tongue, suddenly become enemies, barricading in their homes against the blood-thirsty mobs.
In Klatch, the battle trumpets are a
Caitlin
I'm currently working my way through the TP books, so I was just expecting another good book with new characters. Then I read the blurb, realised that the watch are in this book and cried out with glee! I love the watch, Vimes, Carrot, Angua, Vetinari, etc. etc. I love them all. I would recommend this book to anyone, but I would suggest that you read the Watch trilogy first. Not just because you have a little more back story to this book, but because they are amazing books! Really, they are!
Richard Stueber
This is the Discworld version of a war novel, actually mostly anti-war, though many of the main characters are on board with the idea of thoroughly crushing the enemy.
The dispute begins when an ancient island called Leshp suddenly rises from the sea between Ankh-Morpork and the Klatchian coast. Both countries claim this mostly worthless piece of territory as their own and armies begin to form.
Everybody gets involved including the members of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch, such as Sam Vimes, Carrot
Katri
Not my favourite Pratchett, but still quite good. I'm a sucker for anything with Vimes and Vetinari in it, and I enjoyed all the parody of politics and wartime rhetoric. Somehow I didn't find it as interesting as some other books, though, and Carrot is beginning to seriously get on my nerves, or at least the way everyone keeps talking about how awesome and special he was. If nobody mentioned it, I might also like him, but now I keep wanting to thwack him on the head.
  • The Brentford Chain-Store Massacre
  • The Unseen University Challenge: Terry Pratchett's Discworld Quizbook
  • Flying Dutch
  • Legends
  • Knights Of Madness
  • The Tough Guide to Fantasyland
  • The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy
Sir Terry Pratchett sold his first story when he was thirteen, which earned him enough money to buy a second-hand typewriter. His first novel, a humorous fantasy entitled The Carpet People, appeared in 1971 from the publisher Colin Smythe. Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels, including his first Discworld novel, ...more
More about Terry Pratchett...
Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1) Mort (Discworld, #4) Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8) Night Watch (Discworld, #29)

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” 9360 likes
“Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.” 560 likes