Start by marking “Gringo Nightmare: A Young American Framed for Murder in Nicaragua” as Want to Read:
Gringo Nightmare: A Young American Framed for Murder in Nicaragua

Gringo Nightmare: A Young American Framed for Murder in Nicaragua

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  23 reviews
In the spirit of Midnight Express and Not Without My Daughter comes the harrowing true story of an American held in a Nicaraguan prison for a murder he didn’t commit.

Eric Volz was in his late twenties in 2005 when he moved from California to Nicaragua. He and a friend cofounded a bilingual magazine, El Puente, and it proved more successful than they ever expected. Then Vol
Published April 27th 2010 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Gringo Nightmare, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gringo Nightmare

Brittany
This book should not be compared to Not Without My Daughter. NWMD is one of the most suspenseful, and terrifying books I have ever read. This one was utterly boring. As I was reading I kept thinking that the story that he was telling was not what I expected to be reading, and usually I can just shift my expectations and continue reading with an open mind. But in this case I never got interested. I just kept reading and not caring. What I expected was an account by someone who was imprisoned in a ...more
Amanda
I liked this book and would recommend it. I had followed his story in the news and seen the dateline episode. I would have given it 4 stars, but I did find some of the background information about the political climate of Nicaragua a little confusing. I feel as though he could have weaved some of that in earlier and made it all a little less confusing. It was hard to keep some of the people straight as well. He does link a lot of the book with his website that provides further information on the ...more
Julie
As a former reading teacher, I feel quite guilty about something: I judge books by their covers. And this book had a colorful, photographic cover and an even more interesting title. So, when Borders was closing last summer, I was able to buy a hardcover copy for just one dollar. It was a dollar well spent.
Eric Volz unravels the story of being framed for murdering his former girlfriend, Doris. At the time, Volz was a young American living and working in Nicaragua, a place where he, with the help
Calley
I would NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER want to be in a Nicaraguan prison. The descriptions that Volz shares are very vivid. I would never wish his experience on anyone.

Partway through, I got kind of confused. I looked up and asked my journalist buddy: "Can you explain to me later when you have time- How did his jailtime correlate with Nicaraguan WMDs and the President?"
Short answer: it doesn't.

The writing style is a little base and Volz himself is hard to read (totally pun intended). For example,
Truitti
This is a very riveting account of Eric Volz's experience in Nicaragua. I couldn't put it down. Several truths appeared in the book since it is a real experience. God will do ANYTHING to get your attention, even it it takes you a while to realize that he is knocking at your door. Another is that we ALL need to be very careful about judging a situation without assessing all the facts. We need to be careful that we are not swayed by public opinion or political agendas. We all need to keep vigilant ...more
Nichole
What an amazing and powerful story! This book was recommended by a friend for a vacation read, which I had a very hard time putting down once I started. I often had to remind myself this was the true story of Eric Volz and not one of the typical thrillers I usually read. Throughout the book my emotions got the best of me as I read this.

I highly recommend this book to anyone - very inspiring how he never gave up despite what he was fighting through, be it the prision, judical system or his healt
Andi
This book is a page turner--a true story and very well done. It's informative, meticulously documented, insightful on many levels, and a fascinating read. Eric's mom is my best friend, so we were up close and personal as the 13 months written about in this book were being lived out. Eric has done an excellent job of narrating a complex, extremely painful, yet full of redemption story. Highly recommended.
Luke
Pretty interesting book for those traveling to Central America. I was also surprised at the political insight it provided for places in general that might have dubious and corrupt governmental systems. However, the book lacks the artistic and narrative punch of other true crime classics. Still, 3 stars for me means generally recommendable if the subject matter suits you.

Melanie
Thank you Eric for writing out your compelling story. Very moving and informative. Your will to survive is incredible, you truly have great inner strength and integrity. I'm so glad you made it through. I hope that this book will help bring about real justice for Doris, and help expose the injustices of the court system, to bring about change.
Chase
I generally stay away from non-fiction and true stories, but this one was well worth it. It was gripping and a true page-turner. Maybe it's because I now know Eric and he gave me a copy personally with a signed note, but I was absolutely captivated by the story of his wrongful imprisonment and institutional kidnapping.
Jayme Boszor
really good! A very good true story that makes you want to pick a side of what really happened to her...It's really hard to say. The prison stories that eric told sounded horrible and I could never imagine being in a Nicaraguan prison, I will read more true crime novels in the future
Jul 14, 2010 Sarah rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any and everyone
I knew the story before reading the book, but the book offers more details. What an amazing/sad/terrifying story. I'm in awe of this man. I'm finished with the book, but I still cannot put it down!!
Nate Erick
Really enjoyed this pick. Props to Opie, Anthony, and little jimmy norton for getting me to read it.
What a nightmare! And I feel sorry for myself the odd time I have to work 16 hours in a day.
Melissa Barmen
Horrifying true story but he's out of prison and living a wonderful and fulfilling life. He's now an advocate for all those wrongfully accused especially outside of the country
Raquel Shah

At times a little slow and repetitive, but for the most part an interesting look at the polotical system in Nicaragua. Note to self: travel with caution!
Erin
Good book but I had a really hard time getting into it for some reason. Amazing story because it's real, but if it wasn't for that I probably wouldn't have read it.
Caroline Ortega
I loved this book! it has been one of the best book I have read so far this year! I recommend it! Eric Volz is an awesome guy!
Emily
Amazing story, on many levels. Just trying to imagine living in those prison conditions makes me ill.
Michelle Holtzclaw (Skow)
All I can say is I'm thankful that I live in the United States...
Sandra weston
This book was good, but dragged on for too long.
Brianna Marie
Thrilling story, but not well written.
Elizabeth
amazing true story.....a must read!
Dusty Robertson
Scaaary. What a travesty.
Zєєsнди
Zєєsнди marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Andi
Andi marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Stepha
Stepha marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Risa
Risa marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Sasha
Sasha marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Enslaved: True Stories of Modern Day Slavery
  • Blood of Brothers: Life and War in Nicaragua (Latin American Studies)
  • The Dead Girl
  • The Top Ten: Writers Pick Their Favorite Books
  • El Juramento/the Oath
  • Five Days That Shocked the World: Eyewitness Accounts from Europe at the End of World War II
  • The Stovepipe
  • After Etan: The Missing Child Case that Held America Captive
  • Little Lost Angel
  • The Jaguar Smile: A Nicaraguan Journey
  • Chinaberry Sidewalks
  • Flawless: Inside the Largest Diamond Heist in History
  • Delivered from Evil: True Stories of Ordinary People Who Faced Monstrous Mass Killers and Survived
  • Tree Girl