Start by marking “Gringo Nightmare: A Young American Framed for Murder in Nicaragua” as Want to Read:
Gringo Nightmare: A Young American Framed for Murder in Nicaragua

Gringo Nightmare: A Young American Framed for Murder in Nicaragua

In the spirit of Midnight Express and Not Without My Daughter comes the harrowing true story of an American held in a Nicaraguan prison for a murder he didn't commit.

Eric Volz was in his late twenties in 2005 when he moved from California to Nicaragua. He and a friend cofounded a bilingual magazine, El Puente, and it proved more successful than they ever expected. Then Vol
Published April 27th 2010 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Gringo Nightmare, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gringo Nightmare

Brittany
Sep 18, 2014 Brittany rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book should not be compared to Not Without My Daughter. NWMD is one of the most suspenseful, and terrifying books I have ever read. This one was utterly boring. As I was reading I kept thinking that the story that he was telling was not what I expected to be reading, and usually I can just shift my expectations and continue reading with an open mind. But in this case I never got interested. I just kept reading and not caring. What I expected was an account by someone who was imprisoned in a ...more
Calley
Nov 13, 2011 Calley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I would NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER want to be in a Nicaraguan prison. The descriptions that Volz shares are very vivid. I would never wish his experience on anyone.

Partway through, I got kind of confused. I looked up and asked my journalist buddy: "Can you explain to me later when you have time- How did his jailtime correlate with Nicaraguan WMDs and the President?"
Short answer: it doesn't.

The writing style is a little base and Volz himself is hard to read (totally pun intended). For example,
Linda Anderson
Jan 11, 2016 Linda Anderson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
That poor man...the fact that he survived to write about his ordeal is a miracle in and of itself...a book about true fortitude and not caving in to injustice...
Amanda
Jul 07, 2014 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book and would recommend it. I had followed his story in the news and seen the dateline episode. I would have given it 4 stars, but I did find some of the background information about the political climate of Nicaragua a little confusing. I feel as though he could have weaved some of that in earlier and made it all a little less confusing. It was hard to keep some of the people straight as well. He does link a lot of the book with his website that provides further information on the ...more
Julie
As a former reading teacher, I feel quite guilty about something: I judge books by their covers. And this book had a colorful, photographic cover and an even more interesting title. So, when Borders was closing last summer, I was able to buy a hardcover copy for just one dollar. It was a dollar well spent.
Eric Volz unravels the story of being framed for murdering his former girlfriend, Doris. At the time, Volz was a young American living and working in Nicaragua, a place where he, with the help
Truitti
May 17, 2010 Truitti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very riveting account of Eric Volz's experience in Nicaragua. I couldn't put it down. Several truths appeared in the book since it is a real experience. God will do ANYTHING to get your attention, even it it takes you a while to realize that he is knocking at your door. Another is that we ALL need to be very careful about judging a situation without assessing all the facts. We need to be careful that we are not swayed by public opinion or political agendas. We all need to keep vigilant ...more
Nichole
Jul 13, 2010 Nichole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, read-2010
What an amazing and powerful story! This book was recommended by a friend for a vacation read, which I had a very hard time putting down once I started. I often had to remind myself this was the true story of Eric Volz and not one of the typical thrillers I usually read. Throughout the book my emotions got the best of me as I read this.

I highly recommend this book to anyone - very inspiring how he never gave up despite what he was fighting through, be it the prision, judical system or his healt
Andi
Jun 09, 2010 Andi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a page turner--a true story and very well done. It's informative, meticulously documented, insightful on many levels, and a fascinating read. Eric's mom is my best friend, so we were up close and personal as the 13 months written about in this book were being lived out. Eric has done an excellent job of narrating a complex, extremely painful, yet full of redemption story. Highly recommended.
Chase
May 03, 2012 Chase rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I generally stay away from non-fiction and true stories, but this one was well worth it. It was gripping and a true page-turner. Maybe it's because I now know Eric and he gave me a copy personally with a signed note, but I was absolutely captivated by the story of his wrongful imprisonment and institutional kidnapping.
Melanie
Jun 07, 2010 Melanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Eric for writing out your compelling story. Very moving and informative. Your will to survive is incredible, you truly have great inner strength and integrity. I'm so glad you made it through. I hope that this book will help bring about real justice for Doris, and help expose the injustices of the court system, to bring about change.
Luke
Jun 01, 2010 Luke rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty interesting book for those traveling to Central America. I was also surprised at the political insight it provided for places in general that might have dubious and corrupt governmental systems. However, the book lacks the artistic and narrative punch of other true crime classics. Still, 3 stars for me means generally recommendable if the subject matter suits you.

Jayme Boszor
Sep 23, 2010 Jayme Boszor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
really good! A very good true story that makes you want to pick a side of what really happened to her...It's really hard to say. The prison stories that eric told sounded horrible and I could never imagine being in a Nicaraguan prison, I will read more true crime novels in the future
Raquel Shah

At times a little slow and repetitive, but for the most part an interesting look at the polotical system in Nicaragua. Note to self: travel with caution!
Caroline Ortega
Jul 05, 2010 Caroline Ortega rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! it has been one of the best book I have read so far this year! I recommend it! Eric Volz is an awesome guy!
Erin
Nov 11, 2010 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book but I had a really hard time getting into it for some reason. Amazing story because it's real, but if it wasn't for that I probably wouldn't have read it.
Jul 14, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any and everyone
I knew the story before reading the book, but the book offers more details. What an amazing/sad/terrifying story. I'm in awe of this man. I'm finished with the book, but I still cannot put it down!!
Melissa Barmen
Jul 22, 2013 Melissa Barmen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Horrifying true story but he's out of prison and living a wonderful and fulfilling life. He's now an advocate for all those wrongfully accused especially outside of the country
Nate Erick
Feb 07, 2013 Nate Erick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this pick. Props to Opie, Anthony, and little jimmy norton for getting me to read it.
What a nightmare! And I feel sorry for myself the odd time I have to work 16 hours in a day.
Emily
Nov 30, 2010 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazing story, on many levels. Just trying to imagine living in those prison conditions makes me ill.
Landi Lausen
Landi Lausen rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2011
Maureen
Maureen rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2015
Nathan Postell iv
Nathan Postell iv rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2013
Alexandra
Alexandra rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2012
Veronica
Veronica rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2016
Alexa
Alexa rated it really liked it
May 05, 2010
Cindi
Cindi rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2013
Laima
Laima rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2011
Shannon
Shannon rated it it was ok
Aug 30, 2012
Kaylyn Blackmon lindley
Kaylyn Blackmon lindley rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2013
Marti
Marti rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2014
  • My Stolen Son: The Nick Markowitz Story
  • Enslaved: True Stories of Modern Day Slavery
  • The Top Ten: Writers Pick Their Favorite Books
  • The Dead Girl
  • Blood of Brothers: Life and War in Nicaragua (Latin American Studies)
  • Little Lost Angel
  • El Juramento/the Oath
  • The Stovepipe
  • Only in Spain: A Foot-Stomping, Firecracker of a Memoir about Food, Flamenco, and Falling in Love
  • Five Days That Shocked the World: Eyewitness Accounts from Europe at the End of World War II
  • After Etan: The Missing Child Case that Held America Captive