Silman's Complete Endgame Course: From Beginner to Master

Silman's Complete Endgame Course: From Beginner to Master

4.39 of 5 stars 4.39  ·  rating details  ·  171 ratings  ·  10 reviews
For over 100 years, the world's leading chess players and teachers have told their students to study the endgame. This book teaches the students what they need to know at their current rating level, and builds on that knowledge for each subsequent phase of the player's development.
Published July 10th 2008 by Siles Press,U.S. (first published November 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Silman's Complete Endgame Course, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silman's Complete Endgame Course

Martian
If you are a newbie at chess, or if you are a master at it, this is the book you'll want to see. I learned a lot of important things in this book.
Micmoc
THE real endgame book. Period. I love it although there are a few typos in the first edition.
Robert
I agree with almost everything said in the previous review except: "...is the one and only endgame book you'll need as you move up the ladder from beginner to strong tournament player and finally to master."
Unfortunately, Silman didn't explained how to checkmate with the bishop+knight. Why? Let me quote him:
"I heretically decided not to include Bishop and Knight vs. Lone King because it's far from easy to master, and it occurs very rarely in over-the -board play. In fact, I only got it once in...more
Jamieson
Silman’s Complete Endgame Course

Silman’s Complete endgame course is a great book for going from beginner to advanced learning. It ranges from unrated to 2399 rating. It is complete with good tips, fun puzzles, and incredible solutions. This books vast puzzles and strategies make it all worth while.
This book is full of intriguing strategies that any reader could follow and use fairly simply and yet have it make a lasting impact. The puzzles vary in names from: “rook and king endgames” to “fox in...more
Steve
I would read How To Reassess Your Chess first, cover to cover, work though every position (it'll definitely take a couple months) but then move to this.

After blowing EASY wins with shocking, out-of-nowhere, WTF stalemates, a single pass through the early chapters of this book eliminated most of my endgame problems and fears, markedly increasing my confidence when games headed clearly for an endgame.

The book is set up so the earlier chapters are intended for weaker players, gradually increasing t...more
Gary Patella
As an opening junkie, I have always avoided studying the endgame. I've tried with other endgame books in the past, but the information was just not presented well in most of them.

Finally, after sitting on my shelf unopened for a few years, I started going through this book from beginning to end. It is truly an excellent format. It is divided by rating, but it is imperative that you read ALL prior sections (even the patzer rating sections). You build on previous knowledge, and there are rules and...more
Andrew
This book is great because it tells reader what to expect as far as end-game ability at various ratings.

My confidence has increased when playing endgames because of the time and effort I put in to reading this book.
Seth
I think this is an important book for an amateur chess player to have and to review. It's well organized into easily digestible bits according to your rating.
Parwiz Ahmadi
One stop source for comprehensible endgames, good for the candidate master and below
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Randal Figgins
Randal Figgins marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Jovan
Jovan is currently reading it
Sep 09, 2014
Amit De
Amit De is currently reading it
Sep 06, 2014
Teja Prabhu
Teja Prabhu marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Dónal
Dónal marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Murilo Andrade
Murilo Andrade marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Ezra Carter
Ezra Carter marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Alen
Alen marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
  • Logical Chess Move By Move: Every Move Explained New Algebraic Edition
  • My Sixty Memorable Games
  • Chess: 5334 Problems, Combinations and Games
  • Winning Chess Tactics, revised
  • The Immortal Game: A History of Chess, or How 32 Carved Pieces on a Board Illuminated Our Understanding of War, Art, Science and the Human Brain
  • Searching for Bobby Fischer: The Father of a Prodigy Observes the World of Chess
  • The Kings of New York: A Year Among the Geeks, Oddballs, and Geniuses Who Make Up America's Top High School Chess Team
  • Bobby Fischer Goes to War : How the Soviets Lost the Most Extraordinary Chess Match of All Time
  • Endgame: Bobby Fischer's Remarkable Rise and Fall - from America's Brightest Prodigy to the Edge of Madness
  • Chess For Dummies
  • In Code: A Mathematical Journey
  • A Practical Guide to Designing for the Web
  • The Queen's Gambit
  • HarperCollins Study Bible - Student Edition: Fully Revised & Updated (New Revised Standard Version)
  • Valuation: Measuring and Managing the Value of Companies
  • Visual Explanations: Images and Quantities, Evidence and Narrative
  • The Chess Garden
The Amateur's Mind: Turning Chess Misconceptions Into Chess Mastery How to Reassess Your Chess: The Complete Chess-Mastery Course The Complete Book of Chess Strategy: Grandmaster Techniques from A to Z The Reassess Your Chess Workbook: How to Master Chess Imbalances Essential Chess Endings Explained Move By Move