Start by marking “Silman's Complete Endgame Course: From Beginner to Master” as Want to Read:
Silman's Complete Endgame Course: From Beginner to Master

Silman's Complete Endgame Course: From Beginner to Master

For over 100 years, the world's leading chess players and teachers have told their students to study the endgame. This book teaches the students what they need to know at their current rating level, and builds on that knowledge for each subsequent phase of the player's development.
Published November 1st 2006 by Siles Press

To ask other readers questions about Silman's Complete Endgame Course, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silman's Complete Endgame Course

Martian
May 16, 2009 Martian rated it really liked it
If you are a newbie at chess, or if you are a master at it, this is the book you'll want to see. I learned a lot of important things in this book.
Micmoc
Jun 29, 2008 Micmoc rated it really liked it
THE real endgame book. Period. I love it although there are a few typos in the first edition.
Robert
Mar 22, 2013 Robert rated it really liked it
I agree with almost everything said in the previous review except: "...is the one and only endgame book you'll need as you move up the ladder from beginner to strong tournament player and finally to master."
Unfortunately, Silman didn't explained how to checkmate with the bishop+knight. Why? Let me quote him:
"I heretically decided not to include Bishop and Knight vs. Lone King because it's far from easy to master, and it occurs very rarely in over-the -board play. In fact, I only got it once in
Jamieson
Jun 02, 2014 Jamieson rated it it was amazing
Silman’s Complete Endgame Course

Silman’s Complete endgame course is a great book for going from beginner to advanced learning. It ranges from unrated to 2399 rating. It is complete with good tips, fun puzzles, and incredible solutions. This books vast puzzles and strategies make it all worth while.
This book is full of intriguing strategies that any reader could follow and use fairly simply and yet have it make a lasting impact. The puzzles vary in names from: “rook and king endgames” to “fox in
Steve
Aug 06, 2014 Steve rated it it was amazing
I would read How To Reassess Your Chess first, cover to cover, work though every position (it'll definitely take a couple months) but then move to this.

After blowing EASY wins with shocking, out-of-nowhere, WTF stalemates, a single pass through the early chapters of this book eliminated most of my endgame problems and fears, markedly increasing my confidence when games headed clearly for an endgame.

The book is set up so the earlier chapters are intended for weaker players, gradually increasing t
Kevin
Jun 04, 2016 Kevin rated it liked it
Contents:
Preface
Introduction
Acknowledgements
1. Endgames for Beginners (Unrated-999)
2. Endgames for Class “E” (1000-1199)
3. Endgames for Class “D” (1200-1399)
4. Endgames for Class “C” (1400-1599)
5. Endgames for Class “B” (1600-1799)
6. Endgames for Class “A” (1800-1999)
7. Endgames for Experts (2000-2199)
8. Endgames for Masters (2200-2399)
9. Endgames for Pure Pleasure
Beyond Master (Recommended Endgame Books)
Bibliography
Index of Names
Gary Patella
Jan 30, 2013 Gary Patella rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chess
As an opening junkie, I have always avoided studying the endgame. I've tried with other endgame books in the past, but the information was just not presented well in most of them.

Finally, after sitting on my shelf unopened for a few years, I started going through this book from beginning to end. It is truly an excellent format. It is divided by rating, but it is imperative that you read ALL prior sections (even the patzer rating sections). You build on previous knowledge, and there are rules and
Hao Duong
Mar 18, 2015 Hao Duong rated it it was amazing
Good book to read was fun reading it when it feels like the author is trying to connect with you while you are reading the book. shows many explanations for different situations in chess most the endgame and how to mate in tight spaces. I recommend this book for starters who know the basics of chess but want to improve in the game its not another boring book to read but for enjoyment and entertainment.
FranklinTV
Jun 18, 2016 FranklinTV rated it really liked it
Shelves: gaming
Flick thru quickly confirms that this should be a good book. My chess playing never got sufficiently serious, but if it ever does, Im sure I will refer to this.
mathias tesar
Aug 09, 2016 mathias tesar rated it it was amazing
A classic book that every chess student should own
Andrew
Dec 12, 2009 Andrew rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chess
This book is great because it tells reader what to expect as far as end-game ability at various ratings.

My confidence has increased when playing endgames because of the time and effort I put in to reading this book.
Seth
Mar 25, 2014 Seth rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fic, chess
I think this is an important book for an amateur chess player to have and to review. It's well organized into easily digestible bits according to your rating.
Parwiz Ahmadi
Aug 17, 2010 Parwiz Ahmadi rated it it was amazing
One stop source for comprehensible endgames, good for the candidate master and below
Howard Osterman
Howard Osterman rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2016
Henriukas
Henriukas rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2016
William
William rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2016
Brian Utley
Brian Utley is currently reading it
Sep 29, 2016
Yaso
Yaso rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2016
Yiqing Tu
Yiqing Tu marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Bruce Horn
Bruce Horn rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2016
John M Finnegan
John M Finnegan rated it it was amazing
Gold8001
Gold8001 rated it really liked it
haider ali nawaz
haider ali nawaz marked it as to-read
Denis
Denis marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
David
David is currently reading it
Sep 21, 2016
Jordan
Jordan marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
PALLAVI SRIVASTAVA
PALLAVI SRIVASTAVA marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Serega
Serega marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
  • Art of Attack in Chess
  • My 60 Memorable Games
  • My System
  • Logical Chess Move By Move: Every Move Explained New Algebraic Edition
  • Modern Chess Openings: MCO-14 (McKay Chess Library)
  • Pawn Structure Chess
  • FCO: Fundamental Chess Openings
  • Modern Chess Strategy
  • Understanding Chess Move by Move
  • 1001 Winning Chess Sacrifices and Combinations
  • The Immortal Game: A History of Chess, or How 32 Carved Pieces on a Board Illuminated Our Understanding of War, Art, Science and the Human Brain