Start by marking “Beauty and the Scarred Hero” as Want to Read:
Beauty and the Scarred Hero

Beauty and the Scarred Hero

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  175 ratings  ·  27 reviews

Major Nicholas Reynolds returns from the Battle of Waterloo a hero. Once, his rakish good looks ensured he had his pick of beauties, but now his battle-scarred face exiles him from high society.

Lady Isabella Knox is horrified by the cruel gossip surrounding Nicholas, but intrigued by the man whose steely glance makes her blush on the outside...and burn deep on the inside.

A
Published (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Beauty and the Scarred Hero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beauty and the Scarred Hero

Beauty by Robin McKinleyLord of Scoundrels by Loretta ChaseBeastly by Alex FlinnLover Awakened by J.R. WardWhen Beauty Tamed the Beast by Eloisa James
Beauty and the Beast
133rd out of 414 books — 968 voters
Reckless Endangerment by Amber Lea EastonForever Scarred by Jackie WilliamsNever Seduce a Scot by Maya BanksThe Madness of Lord Ian MacKenzie by Jennifer AshleyAnnie's Song by Catherine Anderson
Heroes and Heroines with disabilities
72nd out of 262 books — 118 voters

More lists with this book...

Jan
2011
Quite good for a category regency. I always like it when the hero and heroine are a bit older and people with experience. I've also got a thing for military men in historical romances, so that was an extra positive.

Both Nicholas and Isabella were very good people. I loved seeing them become friends and slowly fall in love. I liked that when the final obstacle came into play (by which I was totally miffed and a bit pissy), they both did what was right - their duty. Oh how I love those typical
Harlequin Historical
Oh man, Major Nicholas is definitely hero material. I instantly fell in love with the character. Lady Isabella is perfect for him. She is a strong heroine who won't take nothing from him or anyone else. :) Their romance kept me up late into the night. The story is obviously about a man wounded in battle, in this case Waterloo, and a woman brave enough to face him and the cruel gossip of the Ton. Passions of all sorts run high in this tale, all very sigh worthy. ;)
Dana S
I was disappointed with The Earl's Dilemma, but I had already bought this during a sale, so I thought I'd give it a try. This was a much better book by Emily May. There's less repetition and exclamation points. Characters are fully realized. There were some plot points that I thought could have been expanded, didn't detract too much from the story.

I love a good beauty and the beast story, and this one delivered for me. Nicholas comes back from the war scarred and just wants to marry a young brid
Miranda Davis
Nov 08, 2013 Miranda Davis rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any Regency romance fan
Recommended to Miranda by: Emily Larkin (same author/diff. name of 5star book)
First, let me say, I hate Emily May for making me feel so utterly inadequate. I suck and she deserves to be far more widely read and enjoyed.

That said through gritted teeth with spittle flying, I must also admit, I LOVE her fluent writing, her crisp and very convincing character portrayals and the interesting jeopardy her heroines face. I wish it wasn't the same plot again, with a hero, here Major Nicholas Reynolds, seeking to unmask the identity of the heroine, a female who has crossed him som
Dinjolina
Could have been a 4 star read if not for the stupid 'duty first' stunt the author pulled in the end.
Calisto
I found this book because it was on a Beauty and the Beast list. I LOOOVE that trope, but sometimes I think it will be the reason my Nook meets with an untimely end.

Plot: Weak.
Story: BORING.
Conflict: Ridiculous.
Characters: Immature.
Tone: Preachy.
Romance: Tepid.
Hero: Bland.
Heroine: JFC! Can you be a bigger Sue?

I could do an in depth dissertation on why this story didn't work for me, but I think I'd end up sounding like a rage monster on steroids. Really, I can take the Hulk on.

I think my biggest
Tasneem
This was a very good read. I adored Nicholas and Isabella. They were both grown ups, with real feelings, misunderstanding, but most importantly a kindness and honour to them that made their growing love worth reading about. I adored how Isabella took on the insulting ton in defence of Nicholas, but in such a way as to not seem as though she were doing anything at all. And I admired the way he took on the ton by asking them to laugh with him, instead of at him. Clever.
Shelvy
On the beginning, i quite like the story. The settings are nice and it's an enjoyable reading. There are some things that..can be more but it wasn't something really bad.

I think every one in this story are so nice.... too nice until I wish they would have..more human weakness? :D
It seems that all annoying trait is given to Ms. H. She is the only one who is very annoying and nobody have enough time scold that girl properly. I know that she is 'innocent' and everybody is verrryyy nice.. but those
Melanie (Moviemavengal)
Wonderful story and the problems they had to overcome were realistic. This one made me cry. Loved both the hero and the heroine, and it was lovely that they were both mature adults.
Jan
Above average Regency romance. Characters have depth and more complex reactions.
Eli Yanti
love this book :)

Cerita di mulai dgn kaburnya seorg gadis berumur 17 tahun krn mau dinikahkan dgn seorg eks pejuang perang, Nicholas Reynold, 30thn, org yg diisukan sgt mengerikan krn selain berbadan tinggi besar (tegap), dia jg mempunyai bekas luka di wajah akibat perang.

Dan gadis tersebut Henrieta akhirnya ditemukan dan sementara tinggal bersama lady isabela, umur 27 thn, spinter, yg memutuskan tdk mau menikah sejak tunangannya meninggal 10 thn yg lalu. Isabela berjanji membantu Henrietta utk
Ewa
My first read with a TSTL Hero!

Seriously, he felt it was his duty to (view spoiler) Aaargh!

I read in few reviews that the writing here is oh, sooo good. English is not my native language, so I can't quite put my finger on it, but for me it felt flowery and repetitive.

Overall,
Jane
The thing that bothered me the most was the pace of the story. All of it - getting to know each other, falling in love and asking to become one's wife - happened in only a couple of weeks. But hey, it's a Harlequin novel, what can I expect? :D

Otherwise I liked the story quite a bit. I liked that they didn't have the instalove moment, but a somewhat gradually evolving love for each other. There are way too many books with instalove and I'm happy that this one is not one them.
Jo
Oh, Emily May, I just love your books. Sometimes category historicals can feel the same, but this is not the case here. Love sneaks up on the hero and heroine of this story, neither of whom are seeking it, and the hero, who originally comes across as one-sided, keeps surprising the reader and the heroine in believeable ways until he's a multi-layered, desirable man. There's also an unexpected plot twist towards the end, which keeps us on our toes a little longer.

I read this in one sitting and ca
Paula
My first book by Emily May, and won't be the last. A wonderfully written, rich Regency romance with great characters. The heroine is wonderfully advanced for her time, the hero (of course!) scarred, both physically and mentally. Their growing romance was lovely to read and felt real. My only beef was at the end, where a third party meant it looked like they were unable to be together after all they'd been through and all the love they'd expressed. But it all turned out well :-)
Sheri
My grade: B-. I enjoyed this book immensely until the very end, when something illogical happened. Of course it was all resolved. Overall I enjoyed it a lot. I must say that by the end I was as tired of the weepy Harriet as Isabel and Nicholas were. :D Possibly more so. And I'm quite disappointed there wasn't an epilogue. I missed not getting a last look at Nicholas and Isabel.
Judy Jarvie
I thoroughly enjoyed Emily May's beauty and the beast story - I will read her again. Nicholas is a delight of a hero - brooding, a military man with a hard surface and a hard past. I fell for him very easily. Isabella, described by herself as an eccentric, is equally hard not to like. The whispers of the Ton angle of this story is fabulous. A very enjoyable historical read.
Melinda
I liked the plot, but it got too slow for me. I lost interest. I could not connect with the heroine at all and while I loved the hero, I just lost interest in the story.
Medha
Its been a long time since I read a historic romance. It was a refreshing change. The book was fast paced and I really enjoyed the time period of the book.
Cherish
Mar 29, 2012 Cherish rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cherish by: Mills and Boon
Loved every bit of it! The blurb intrigued me and I immediately ordered a copy a month before it reached the shops. It was certainly worth the wait.
Shellsea
This book was poorly written in my point of view and the Love-making scenes (though I cant stand them AT ALL) Were so nasty and abrupt!
Mary23nm
Very enjoyable read, despite the plot twist toward the end. Lack of an epilogue is bothersome.
Betsy
4.5 stars. Emily May has turned out to such a lovely author. I enjoy her stories immensely.
Keziah
Emily May has become an auto read for me. I love historicals and EM does a good one.
Erica Anderson
I 'discovered' Emily May through her excellent fantasy The Laurentine Spy.
Ruth
Angt27
Best historical mills and boon I have read in years!
Bev Ross
Bev Ross marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Espresso Love
Espresso Love marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
  • The Admiral's Penniless Bride
  • Entwined (The Ten, #1)
  • Once a Rake
  • Gallant Waif
  • How To Marry a Rake
  • Beauty and the Baron
  • The Lady Forfeits (Copeland Sisters, #2)
  • Miss Winthorpe's Elopement (Belston & Friends #1)
  • His Secondhand Wife
  • Unmasking the Duke's Mistress (Historical)
  • The Captain and the Wallflower
  • A Question of Impropriety
  • The Substitute Bridegroom
  • The Last Rogue (Regency Quartet, #4)
  • Married to a Stranger
  • Taming The Beast (Wife Inc., #3)
Emily May grew up in a house full of books—her mother worked as a proofreader and librarian, and her father is a well-known New Zealand novelist. Emily has studied a wide number of subjects, including geology and geophysics, canine behavior and ancient Greek. Her varied career includes stints as a field assistant in Antarctica and a waitress on the Isle of Skye. Most recently she has worked in the ...more
More about Emily May...
The Earl's Dilemma The Unmasking of a Lady Lady By Day/Beauty And The Scarred Hero/The Unmasking Of A Lady Thomas Jefferson 125 Success Facts - Everything You Need to Know about Thomas Jefferson Summer Blockbuster (Sweet Surrender, Sweet Surprise; Public Marriage, Private Secrets; The Unmasking of a Lady; The Cinderella Bride)