Start by marking “Beauty and the Scarred Hero” as Want to Read:
Beauty and the Scarred Hero

Beauty and the Scarred Hero

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  249 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews

Major Nicholas Reynolds returns from the Battle of Waterloo a hero. Once, his rakish good looks ensured he had his pick of beauties, but now his battle-scarred face exiles him from high society.

Lady Isabella Knox is horrified by the cruel gossip surrounding Nicholas, but intrigued by the man whose steely glance makes her blush on the outside...and burn deep on the inside.

A
Published (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Beauty and the Scarred Hero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beauty and the Scarred Hero

Beauty by Robin McKinleyLord of Scoundrels by Loretta ChaseBeastly by Alex FlinnWhen Beauty Tamed the Beast by Eloisa JamesLover Awakened by J.R. Ward
Beauty and the Beast
128th out of 389 books — 1,334 voters
Reckless Endangerment by Amber Lea EastonNever Seduce a Scot by Maya BanksForever Scarred by Jackie WilliamsThe Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie by Jennifer AshleyAnnie's Song by Catherine Anderson
Heroes and Heroines with disabilities
85th out of 310 books — 169 voters

More lists with this book...

Harlequin Historical
Oh man, Major Nicholas is definitely hero material. I instantly fell in love with the character. Lady Isabella is perfect for him. She is a strong heroine who won't take nothing from him or anyone else. :) Their romance kept me up late into the night. The story is obviously about a man wounded in battle, in this case Waterloo, and a woman brave enough to face him and the cruel gossip of the Ton. Passions of all sorts run high in this tale, all very sigh worthy. ;)
Lyuda
How do you rate a book that was at least 3.5 stars read and then 85% into the story the hero did such a stupid, dishonorable, completely out of character thing that left you in total disbelieve? And the way the heroine reacted to it... you lost some respect for her as well. Oh why, why the author did this? It ruined the whole story for me.
Jan
2011
Quite good for a category regency. I always like it when the hero and heroine are a bit older and people with experience. I've also got a thing for military men in historical romances, so that was an extra positive.

Both Nicholas and Isabella were very good people. I loved seeing them become friends and slowly fall in love. I liked that when the final obstacle came into play (by which I was totally miffed and a bit pissy), they both did what was right - their duty. Oh how I love those typical
Dana S
I was disappointed with The Earl's Dilemma, but I had already bought this during a sale, so I thought I'd give it a try. This was a much better book by Emily May. There's less repetition and exclamation points. Characters are fully realized. There were some plot points that I thought could have been expanded, didn't detract too much from the story.

I love a good beauty and the beast story, and this one delivered for me. Nicholas comes back from the war scarred and just wants to marry a young brid
Vintage
This started out so promising.

Isabella the H, a mature heroine at 29 - yeah, yeah I know, rescues a blithering 17 year old idiot at an inn. Blithering idiot is running away from an arranged marriage gruff, heart of stone grandfather has arranged with a scarred high born soldier aka The Ogre. The idjit is running from an arranged marriage with the H. Isabella takes her home until she can find her aunt or someone to take her.

Isabella makes the mistake about using the term "ogre" in front of a goss
Miranda Davis
Nov 08, 2013 Miranda Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any Regency romance fan
Recommended to Miranda by: Emily Larkin (same author/diff. name of 5star book)
First, let me say, I hate Emily May for making me feel so utterly inadequate. I suck and she deserves to be far more widely read and enjoyed.

That said through gritted teeth with spittle flying, I must also admit, I LOVE her fluent writing, her crisp and very convincing character portrayals and the interesting jeopardy her heroines face. I wish it wasn't the same plot again, with a hero, here Major Nicholas Reynolds, seeking to unmask the identity of the heroine, a female who has crossed him som
Dinjolina
May 22, 2012 Dinjolina rated it liked it
Could have been a 4 star read if not for the stupid 'duty first' stunt the author pulled in the end.
Tasneem
Jan 23, 2013 Tasneem rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency
This was a very good read. I adored Nicholas and Isabella. They were both grown ups, with real feelings, misunderstanding, but most importantly a kindness and honour to them that made their growing love worth reading about. I adored how Isabella took on the insulting ton in defence of Nicholas, but in such a way as to not seem as though she were doing anything at all. And I admired the way he took on the ton by asking them to laugh with him, instead of at him. Clever.
Shelvy
Apr 08, 2014 Shelvy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
On the beginning, i quite like the story. The settings are nice and it's an enjoyable reading. There are some things that..can be more but it wasn't something really bad.

I think every one in this story are so nice.... too nice until I wish they would have..more human weakness? :D
It seems that all annoying trait is given to Ms. H. She is the only one who is very annoying and nobody have enough time scold that girl properly. I know that she is 'innocent' and everybody is verrryyy nice.. but those
Melanie (Moviemavengal)
Wonderful story and the problems they had to overcome were realistic. This one made me cry. Loved both the hero and the heroine, and it was lovely that they were both mature adults.
Rea
May 08, 2015 Rea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I purchased the book I didn't realise that the author was the same as one I've read before. I've read her fantasy books (written under pen name Emily Gee) and really enjoyed them. Once I'd realised that I was really looking forward to reading one of her historical romances.

I didn't find this one as engaging as the fantasy books, but that could be because I don't usually find the historical romance genre as engaging as the fantasy genre in general.

However, I didn't find the major plot device
Jan
Mar 09, 2011 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Above average Regency romance. Characters have depth and more complex reactions.
.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...]
Calisto
I found this book because it was on a Beauty and the Beast list. I LOOOVE that trope, but sometimes I think it will be the reason my Nook meets with an untimely end.

Plot: Weak.
Story: BORING.
Conflict: Ridiculous.
Characters: Immature.
Tone: Preachy.
Romance: Tepid.
Hero: Bland.
Heroine: JFC! Can you be a bigger Sue?

I could do an in depth dissertation on why this story didn't work for me, but I think I'd end up sounding like a rage monster on steroids. Really, I can take the Hulk on.

I think my biggest
Eli Yanti
May 13, 2012 Eli Yanti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
love this book :)

Cerita di mulai dgn kaburnya seorg gadis berumur 17 tahun krn mau dinikahkan dgn seorg eks pejuang perang, Nicholas Reynold, 30thn, org yg diisukan sgt mengerikan krn selain berbadan tinggi besar (tegap), dia jg mempunyai bekas luka di wajah akibat perang.

Dan gadis tersebut Henrieta akhirnya ditemukan dan sementara tinggal bersama lady isabela, umur 27 thn, spinter, yg memutuskan tdk mau menikah sejak tunangannya meninggal 10 thn yg lalu. Isabela berjanji membantu Henrietta utk
Ewa
My first read with a TSTL Hero!

Seriously, he felt it was his duty to (view spoiler) Aaargh!

I read in few reviews that the writing here is oh, sooo good. English is not my native language, so I can't quite put my finger on it, but for me it felt flowery and repetitive.

Overall,
Jane
The thing that bothered me the most was the pace of the story. All of it - getting to know each other, falling in love and asking to become one's wife - happened in only a couple of weeks. But hey, it's a Harlequin novel, what can I expect? :D

Otherwise I liked the story quite a bit. I liked that they didn't have the instalove moment, but a somewhat gradually evolving love for each other. There are way too many books with instalove and I'm happy that this one is not one them.
Widala
May 21, 2016 Widala rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars.
It's a fun and a light read with interesting enough story and characters. The story telling was very easy to enjoy.
It could've been a 4 stars if only Isabella would just bitchslap Harriet.
Tricia
May 09, 2016 Tricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this story. The author created believable people, even the secondary characters were well rounded personalities. The plotting was good, and not always predictable, which I found a refreshing change. Will definitely read more by this author.
Jo
Aug 06, 2012 Jo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Oh, Emily May, I just love your books. Sometimes category historicals can feel the same, but this is not the case here. Love sneaks up on the hero and heroine of this story, neither of whom are seeking it, and the hero, who originally comes across as one-sided, keeps surprising the reader and the heroine in believeable ways until he's a multi-layered, desirable man. There's also an unexpected plot twist towards the end, which keeps us on our toes a little longer.

I read this in one sitting and ca
Jultri
3.5/5.
Anja
Sep 17, 2015 Anja rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*sigh*
Paula
Apr 04, 2011 Paula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first book by Emily May, and won't be the last. A wonderfully written, rich Regency romance with great characters. The heroine is wonderfully advanced for her time, the hero (of course!) scarred, both physically and mentally. Their growing romance was lovely to read and felt real. My only beef was at the end, where a third party meant it looked like they were unable to be together after all they'd been through and all the love they'd expressed. But it all turned out well :-)
Sheri
May 15, 2012 Sheri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My grade: B-. I enjoyed this book immensely until the very end, when something illogical happened. Of course it was all resolved. Overall I enjoyed it a lot. I must say that by the end I was as tired of the weepy Harriet as Isabel and Nicholas were. :D Possibly more so. And I'm quite disappointed there wasn't an epilogue. I missed not getting a last look at Nicholas and Isabel.
Judy Jarvie
I thoroughly enjoyed Emily May's beauty and the beast story - I will read her again. Nicholas is a delight of a hero - brooding, a military man with a hard surface and a hard past. I fell for him very easily. Isabella, described by herself as an eccentric, is equally hard not to like. The whispers of the Ton angle of this story is fabulous. A very enjoyable historical read.
Kat
Jan 27, 2015 Kat rated it really liked it
Very good book....except for Harriet. I wanted to slap the crap out of her!
Pam
May 16, 2015 Pam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beauty-and-beast
The Ton of London is not a fav of mine. The story was not bad. I just did not like the hero top much. He does get an epiphany and liked him better. The heroine was kind.
Melinda
Jan 11, 2014 Melinda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked the plot, but it got too slow for me. I lost interest. I could not connect with the heroine at all and while I loved the hero, I just lost interest in the story.
Medha
Sep 06, 2013 Medha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its been a long time since I read a historic romance. It was a refreshing change. The book was fast paced and I really enjoyed the time period of the book.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 20, 2015 07:45AM
  • The Admiral's Penniless Bride
  • Once a Rake
  • Entwined (The Ten, #1)
  • Miss Winthorpe's Elopement (Belston & Friends #1)
  • Taming The Beast (Wife Inc., #3)
  • Taming The Beast
  • Beauty and the Baron
  • The Substitute Bridegroom
  • How To Marry a Rake
  • Anne's Perfect Husband (Sinclair Bride, #2)
  • Gallant Waif
  • Song For Sophia (Rougemont, #1)
  • Knave's Wager
  • The Notorious Rake (Waite, #3)
  • My Darling Caroline