Start by marking “Murder Most Holy (The Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #3)” as Want to Read:
Murder Most Holy (The Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #3)

Murder Most Holy (The Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan #3)

In the early summer of 1379 in London, Sir John Cranston, Coroner of the city, is trapped into a wager with Signior Gian Galeazzo, Lord of Cremona, who challenges him to resolve a certain murder mystery within two weeks. Men have been found dead in the scarlet chamber of one of Cremona's manors. They have no mark upon them; they have neither drunk nor eaten poison; there ...more
Published March 11th 1993 by Headline (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Murder Most Holy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder Most Holy

The Giver by Lois LowryGod's Not Dead 2 by Travis ThrasherEmissary by Thomas  LockeBlachart by Christina EngelaDona Flor and Her Two Husbands by Jorge Amado
The Last 10 Fiction Books You've Read
26th out of 111 books — 13 voters
The Pillars of the Earth by Ken FollettSarum by Edward RutherfurdHere be Dragons by Sharon Kay PenmanWolf Hall by Hilary MantelKatherine by Anya Seton
British History from 1066
342nd out of 375 books — 113 voters

More lists with this book...

Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
I enjoyed the last two Brother Athelstan books, but I did find the second one a bit perfunctory at times. This one makes up for that lapse in spades with lots of noisome street scenes, a vast array of supporting characters, three main mysteries and a handful of subplots. Plus, this isn't The Name Of The Rose, but there's something very thrilling about solving murders committed in a medieval monastery - it's such a distant, different and self-contained world. I hope the remaining titles in the ...more
Francis
Dec 30, 2015 Francis rated it liked it
A kind hearted Priest and his friend the Coroner of London a loutish braggart with a big heart and an even bigger appetite run around medieval London solving mysterious deaths with a bit of humour and lots of empathy for the poorer citizens of the realm. A light hearted and entertaining series.
Christy
Nov 03, 2016 Christy rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
Really liked this book. Gave it to my brother to read , which is high praise for me.
Kevin J.
Needs more dancing cats.
Diana Hockley
Aug 05, 2013 Diana Hockley rated it it was amazing

Never having read the books of Paul Doherty, I was attracted at first by the splendid cover of the paperback which I bought. The background is a soft golden map of medieval London and in the middle of the cover there is an oval inset outlined in shiny gold. Inside the inset is a section of a church depicting the altar, screened wall and outline of an ornate door. Lying on the black and yellow paving stones are two bodies dressed in bright blue hose, one with a green jerkin, the other with red. T
Simon Mcleish
Mar 31, 2012 Simon Mcleish rated it really liked it
Originally published on my blog here in January 1999.

One of the disadvantages to attempting to read a series of novels from a public library is that it is extremely difficult to read them in the correct order. This is why I have only just made it to reading the third of Paul Harding's "Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan", even though I have already read several later novels in the series.

Murder Most Holy is in fact three separate murder mysteries, which simultaneously test the abilities of
Kathy
Jun 04, 2016 Kathy rated it really liked it
I may have read this before as the puzzle of what killed a series of people in a closed room rang familiar. But...long ago...before I began checking off books in goodreads so I wouldn't have this happen. I'm afraid there are thousands of books I read before I joined, so this system will never be perfect for me. But it helps. I like historical fiction set during the 1300's so I will gravitate to subjects I enjoy. This was the third in the series of Brother Athelstan mysteries. It contains a great ...more
Estelle
Nov 24, 2012 Estelle rated it it was amazing
One of the best novels i have read in a long time.

I love the two main characters of the book, Sir John Cranston and Brother Athelstan but there is also a lovely third main character in a form of a stray tom cat, Bonaventure. This combination of the three make for great reading and give a light funny moments in a pretty dark world and storyline.

I truly love this book and will re-read many times more.
Dawn
Dec 18, 2015 Dawn rated it liked it
Brother Athelstan has three mysteries to solve in this book. A riddle for Sir John to save him from a ruinous wager, the skeleton under the flagstones before it turns his parish into mayhem and the murders of his Dominican brothers.
I thought that there was a bit too much going on for such a short book but every mystery was handily resolved.
Michael
Feb 05, 2013 Michael rated it liked it
Colourful period detail - believable setting on either bank of the Thames. The puzzles were intriguing; the solutions rather a long time coming. But the characters of Sir John and his holy sidekick are appealingly drawn.
I read it in French; excellent translation, with some very obscure archaisms and lots of footnotes from the translators. Chapeau !

Tom
Jan 13, 2013 Tom rated it it was ok
Writing was good but the story had a few "huh?" moments. The clues were obvious because they stood out like a beacon. And so much drinking! The book has three mysteries in the plot none connected which I found disappointing. I won't read any more from this author.
Rozonda
Nov 18, 2011 Rozonda rated it really liked it
Harding/Doherty does a real good job in this novel- he involves Athelstan and Cranston in 3 mysteries at once, and gets the reader through the three of them effortlessly and in a very entertaining way. No doubt, this series is probably the author's best work.
Alice Lee Smith
Mar 11, 2015 Alice Lee Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this series!

Get a taste of the,Middle Ages and its history, and enjoy a terrific tale with turns and twists. More than one mystery, too.
Rosalind Hoenig
Aug 29, 2014 Rosalind Hoenig rated it it was amazing
They just keep on getting better. The story was riveting. Three mysteries in one. I truly recommend this one!
Winnie
Mar 13, 2012 Winnie rated it really liked it
I love the Brother Athelstan mysteries - he's such a gentle character and yet so successful in his detecting - intriguing!
Shadira
Shadira rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2012
Jarrod Dunham
Jarrod Dunham rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2016
Pamela Massey
Pamela Massey rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2013
Petra
Petra rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2013
Rosalie
Rosalie rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2012
Dawn Petersen
Dawn Petersen rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2013
Edwinnaarden
Edwinnaarden rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2015
Becky
Becky rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
Inamoena
Inamoena rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2015
Sasaupe
Sasaupe rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2016
Robert Drescher
Robert Drescher rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2014
Christopher Nycum
Christopher Nycum rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2014
Kelly Martin
Kelly Martin rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2015
Shaun Hately
Shaun Hately rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2014
Debra G. Phillips
Debra G. Phillips rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Devil's Disciples (Matthew Bartholomew, #14)
  • A Spy for the Redeemer (Owen Archer, #7)
  • The Ravens of Blackwater (Domesday, #2)
  • The Leper's Return (Knights Templar, #6)
  • Brother Cadfael: A Morbid Taste for Bones/One Corpse Too Many/Monk's Hood
  • The Bone-Pedlar (Sir Richard Straccan, #1)

He has been published under several pseudonyms: P.C. Doherty, Celia L. Grace, Paul Harding, Ann Dukthas, Vanessa Alexander, Michael Clynes and Anna Apostolou but now writes only under his own name.

Paul Doherty was born in Middlesbrough (North-Eastern England) in 1946. He had
More about Paul Doherty...

The Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • The Nightingale Gallery (Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #1)
  • The House of the Red Slayer (The Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #2)
  • The Anger of God (Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #4)
  • By Murder's Bright Light (The Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #5)
  • The House of Crows (The Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #6)
  • The Assassin's Riddle (The Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #7)
  • The Devil's Domain (The Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #8)
  • The Field of Blood (The Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #9)
  • The House of Shadows (The Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #10)
  • Bloodstone (Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #11)