Start by marking “There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Leaves!” as Want to Read:
There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Leaves!

There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Leaves!

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  645 Ratings  ·  89 Reviews
Our favorite old lady is back and swallowing autumn items!

That wild old lady is back swallowing fall-themed items. What can you make from leaves, clothes, a pumpkin, and rope? That's right, a scarecrow!

Perfect for back-to-school time.

Published August 1st 2010 by Cartwheel Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Leaves!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Leaves!

Kirk
Apr 08, 2013 Kirk rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Satanists and Hippies
A few years ago, Stevie the Regurgitator paid a visit to my institution. Students were mesmerized as they watched him swallow a set of keys, a master lock, and a class ring. He then regurgitated the whole mess with the ring on the lock and the keys in the lock. The guy is brilliant. Check him out on Britain's Got Talent:

Stevie's been in the business of regurgitation for years. That's why I wasn't particularly impressed with this 2010 book about an old woman who swallow
Scarlett Sims
So, what I can say in this book's favor is that the kids LOVED IT! One of the kids brought it in to read during storytime and they loved the illustrations and laughed at almost every page, especially the ending. My problems with it are typical adult problems. I thought the rhymes were pretty contrived and wasn't crazy about the illustrations. Also, being an adult I'm not a huge fan of repetition but I knew going in that would be a part of the book and that isn't what made me not like it. I'm jus ...more
Autumn
Nov 27, 2015 Autumn rated it it was amazing

I saw this book in the library and thought oh we have to read it. We all know the story of what happened to the old lady who swallowed a fly but what happens when she swallows leaves?
Well in this awesome story you have to read to find out because she just doesn't swallow leaves she swallows other things as well.
A and K both loved me reading this to them and A really enjoyed going Achoooo when it was time to. K already guessed what the old lady was making
Kristy
Sep 15, 2011 Kristy rated it did not like it
Yep...it was just as bad as There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Bat. Lame, stupid, pointless, and poor illustrations.
Rachel
Feb 17, 2011 Rachel rated it it was ok
Nice language use on the same formula, but this swallowing to sneeze it all back up into something is just to odd.
Christian Houseworth
I really enjoyed reading this book! This book is included in a series of children’s books based on “There was an old lady who swallowed a…” This particular book is about the old lady swallowing fall-themed items. This book shows how the old lady swallowed all these things to create a scarecrow.
As a teacher, I can use this book during the fall season while teaching a unit on things commonly seen in autumn. I could also use this book during a math lesson to teach students about ordering numbers
Kaity
Dec 09, 2015 Kaity rated it really liked it
Shelves: holiday
Theme - Holiday (picture book)

Rationale - This holiday-themed book is set in the fall where an old lady walks through the woods swallowing autumn-themed items like a pumpkin, some clothes, some leaves, and rope. In the end, she winds up sneezing them all up and making a scarecrow! This fun holiday book is a great transitional book to read during season changes, and because it is a rhyming book, it is a great book to read aloud and act out to the class to get them active and involved.
Sarah Murray
I really liked reading this story. I have always been familiar with the little old lady who swallowed a fly so i figured i would like this story as well. I think this story is a great story for kids of all ages. It is great to read out loud and the vocabulary throughout the story isn't too difficult for kids to read by themselves. I also thought it had a funny ending that kids would appreciate and think of scarecrows in a different way.
Some activities i thought that would be good for my students
Kate
Oct 12, 2011 Kate rated it really liked it
This was a very funny and enjoying story to read! I thought the illustrations were awesome and told more about the story than the actual text did! I liked how the story was based on the Fall season, and what the fall is all about! A story like this can really grab little kids attentions, since obviously the story is fiction, but the kids could actually believe that the character really did swallow a pumpkin,pants,shirt, and pole. I think the main objective of stories like this is to really entic ...more
Slayermel
Jan 28, 2015 Slayermel rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents of young children and preschool teachers
This is a very fun book; it rhymes and is easy to sing along with. It’s based off of the story “There was an old lady who swallowed a fly” just like that story she swallows different items in a row to help with the previous item she swallowed. In this case she’s swallowing leaves, shirts, pumpkins, poles and pants etc... Perhaps she’ll sneeze?
It’s a very cute story about fall and in the end she sneezes out a scarecrow.

I’m not the biggest fan of the illustrations as I like bright sharp colours f
Tiph
May 30, 2014 Tiph rated it really liked it
Shelves: kb-s-bookshelf
This is one of my daughters favorites. The rhyming and rhythm is a little funky in places (hence 4 stars instead of 5)... but that technicality does not keep my daughter to want to hear it over & over again.... Happy Fall! ;)
Colette
Nov 12, 2014 Colette rated it really liked it
Love the artwork, great rhythm, and the kids enjoyed her swallowing everything and then sneezing! Great for Halloween or fall or Thanksgiving celebrations at school.
Angela Hutchinson
Read to the students during read-to-someone station in the classroom. The students enjoyed taking a picture walk with this book that can be grouped with books about the fall season.
Misty
Jan 19, 2011 Misty rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
This book is hiliarious! It has just the right amount of humor and grossness to keep young children engaged. In the classroom I would use this book as a math supplement to teach ordering events or sequencing. The old lady eats strange objects, and each time the objects are repeated in the order that the old lady ate them. This book would also be great to use with a prop! However, I would like the illustrations to be a little more colorful. I feel that it would make the book even more appealing t ...more
Tina Eckenroth
Sep 23, 2015 Tina Eckenroth rated it it was ok
I am not a fan of the "There was an Old Lady who..." titles in general. This one is better than some of the others.
Danielle Messer
Students could easily learn predicting in this book. It will keep them entertained as well as make them laugh.
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
There is something decidedly horrific about an old woman unhinging her jaw to this degree.
K.
Oct 12, 2014 K. rated it it was amazing
My kids love the There Was An Old Lady series. This one is the perfect read for the fall season.
Heather Torgersen
This story is the fall spinoff to There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Fly. In this version, the Old Lady swallows leaves, a pumpkin, rope, hay, a shirt, pants, and a tall stick, and eventually throws up a scare crow. I never really like the endings when she regurgitates everything back up, but children always love that gross factor. This story is great when teaching sequential order in math, and you can also associate ordinal numbers to the objects once you have them in order. This book always ...more
Sally
Sep 28, 2014 Sally rated it really liked it
Fun fall read aloud! "Perhaps she'll sneeze!" Find out what happens when she does!
Easton Mcdonald
bxehcnhecbnuwcdyhgvbdscyhgbaidhgfyhvhfrduvhsduchdnszuc nxzd8suvhsd8csa8hvy8devyc8wuc
Paula
Sep 19, 2015 Paula rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Another home run!
Dominique St-pierre
Because I was enamored with Simms Taback's, There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly, this book fell short for me. It is definitely a fun read but didn't seem to have the "flow" or "ease" I was hoping for. I found that the illustrations were a bit hard to capture...there was so much going on on that small page. Nevertheless, I would probably read it to my K students...I'm sure they would get a kick out of it (Don't let it follow There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Fly - that's way too funny!) ...more
Megan MacDonald
Jan 18, 2011 Megan MacDonald rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fall-books
This is a silly book to read during the fall season that kids will have fun and laugh as they are reading or listening! Each page uses rhyming words and therefore is a good book to help children understand the concept of rhymes. Also, another good use for this book would be to practice choosing the beginning, middle, and end of events and stories. This is an important concept that can be used throughout life to understand sequences. Definitely a fun read that can lead to many activities!
Amber Lynch
Nov 23, 2010 Amber Lynch rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
In this story the old lady swallows different things that go along with the season of Fall. In the end she creates something that also goes with the fall theme. This book is cute with a nice ending.

I would once again compare and contrast it with other versions. I would also have students write about what the old lady could swallow next and create a class book with students having their own page to create about a theme everyone had decided on (for example: Snowman)!
Shamilah Gillani
This book is part of the "There was an old lady who swallowed a..." series. The book is about an old lady swallowing some fall time objects. In the end, she created a scarecrow with all these objects. The book is a great way to integrate math by teaching cardinal and ordinal numbers, as well as sequencing. I would also teach repetition with this book so students can see an example and use it in their own writing. Many things can be taught out of this wonderful book!
Msjennifers Corner
Oct 22, 2013 Msjennifers Corner rated it it was amazing
A cute take on "swallowed a fly". There is no dying involved in this one BUT I did ask the kids after reading the title if they would swallow leaves. I asked it as if it was ridiculous... and told them you should never swallow anything that isn't food or drink (just to cover my own butt).
This is a nice fall book. The woman swallows all the makings of a scarecrow then sneezes him out. I always sing any "there was an old lady" book. Makes for a lot more fun!
Lara
Jan 25, 2016 Lara added it
Weird
Michel Butler
This book is a fun twist on the original There Was An Old Lady tale with a much happier ending. In this book, the old lady swallows a number of items, and in the end, she coughs up a scarecrow. Not only does this book teach sequencing, it's a part of a series by Lucille Colandro that can be used by teachers during different times of the year. I love doing story baskets, and this series makes it really easy to keep the old lady in my class.
Elines Flores
Apr 11, 2015 Elines Flores rated it really liked it
This book made me laugh with all its repetition and overall silliness. The illustrations are drawn by Jared Lee (who also illustrated the Black Lagoon books). They were big, bold, and engaging! used this story as a read aloud lesson for a kindergarten class and the students LOVED IT!! They got kick out of trying to figure out why the old kept swallowing strange objects. Great for fall themed lessons.
  • Let It Fall
  • I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie
  • Pumpkin Town!  Or, Nothing Is Better and Worse Than Pumpkins
  • Fall Mixed Up
  • Leaf Trouble
  • Apple Trouble!
  • The Legend of Spookley the Square Pumpkin (with CD)
  • Snowmen All Year
  • Fall Leaves Fall!
  • The Littlest Pilgrim
  • Chester Raccoon and the Big Bad Bully (Chester the Raccoon (Kissing Hand) #4)
  • We're Going On A Leaf Hunt