Start by marking “Gotrek & Felix: The First Omnibus” as Want to Read:
Gotrek & Felix: The First Omnibus

Gotrek & Felix: The First Omnibus (Gotrek & Felix #1-3)

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,189 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
Gotrek the dwarf trollslayer and his companion Felix are Black Library's most popular fantasy duo. This omnibus edition gives readers a unique opportunity to enjoy their first three adventures through the haunted forests, mountains and castles of the grim Warhammer world.
Published August 8th 2006 by Games Workshop

To ask other readers questions about Gotrek & Felix, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gotrek & Felix

Dan Schwent
Trollslayer: Introducing Gotrek Gurnisson, a dwarven Slayer sworn to die a heroic death and Felix Jaeger, the poet who's sworn an oath to chronicle it. In the stories in the first book contained within this omnibus, Gotrek and Felix encounter cultists, wolf-riding goblins, a ruined dwarven stronghold, a mutant-creating sorceror, and werewolves, among other things.

For years, people have been telling me to read this, saying it's comparable to Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser series. After
Redfox5
May 16, 2016 Redfox5 rated it it was ok
I'm only reading this book because it was given to me. But I don't think it's my first encounter with the Warhammer universe, I'm pretty sure my dad used to have it on the PS1. I can't be sure though. This book contains the first three volumes of the Gotrek and Felix series.

Trollslayer (2/5 stars) - I think the first thing that strikes you about this book is how very 'Lord of The Rings' it is. Gotrek & Felix remind me so much of Legolas and Gimli. Expect Gotrek really hates elves and trees
Fredrik Bergqvist
Aug 17, 2010 Fredrik Bergqvist rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Although William King might have invented the characters, he is a terrible writer, the characters are one dimensional and the descriptions bland.

The books do get better though, especially Deamonslayer had a very epic feel about it, so I still recommend reading the omnibus if planning to read the whole series.
Ezra Klimchock
Mar 05, 2014 Ezra Klimchock rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
William King's Gotrek and Felix is a fantasy tale that follows the poet Felix Jaeger and his experiences in following a dwarf slayer Gotrek Gurnisson. Destined to find a righteous death in combat for a past sin, Felix has promised to follow, and record the tale of Gotrek Gurnisson's saga, and publish it for the world to see. The story goes through their accounts, fighting the hordes of chaos, the rat like Skaven, and even a Daemon in the chaos wastes.

Felix Jaeger is one of the two main character
Skrach The Goblin
May 26, 2011 Skrach The Goblin rated it did not like it
Awful. It seemed to be stories written by a junior high school writing class. There was a laughable but memorable part where the author simply described what was suppose to be a climactic scene almost along the line of "He killed the creature." I understand these stories to be unrelated reprints from magazines or other but gosh, the guy should write with an adult view of the world at least in one of the several plots.
Duncan
Mar 17, 2014 Duncan rated it liked it
The first omnibus was my first introduction to the tales of the Slayer and his human chronicler. Fans of high adventure in the style of Robert Howard will like this book, with its stories of bravado, magic and mayhem. Although not highbrow in anyway the book was fun to read and a nice rendition of the Warhammer world. The author seems to struggle with some repetition of wordplay and his inclusion of 'Scots' dialect is pretty woeful yet I found myself drawn to finish. Colourful and a little crude ...more
Ingrid Spera
Jan 08, 2016 Ingrid Spera rated it really liked it
This book is the collection of the first trilogy: Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, and Daemonslayer. I loved this omnibus! There's no real underlying plot other than Gotrek is trying to die a glorious death in battle and it's Felix's job to write of it. The entire book is just the pair making their way through the land and having squirmishes with wild mutants, crazy sorcerers, and all kinds of things t hat go bump in the night. I absolutely love Gotrek and he's officially my favorite literary badass. ...more
Traci Lee
Feb 03, 2014 Traci Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: warhammer-read
This book (actually a collection of the first 3 books in this series) is incredible! William King is a phenomenal writer. I was sad when Nathan Long took over the series - nothing against Nathan Long, who is also a great writer. But King just fleshes out his characters in such a way that makes you feel like you know them. And that is impressive when writing about elves, dwarves, orcs, goblins, skaven (rat-people), and vampires. I haven't met any of those yet. I have yet to read a William King bo ...more
Skut L
Aug 29, 2011 Skut L rated it it was amazing
Good bloody fun. High adventure in the grim and gritty Warhammer fantasy realm. Like the TRS/WoTC line of shared-world DnD fiction these are pulp fantasy tales. Unlike those others however, Games Workshop's redoubtable publishing arm The Black Library strives to produce works that could stand alongside Fritz Leiber, Robert E. Howard and Michale Moorcock. Oft-times they succeed admirably, and perhaps some of the best examples are found in King's protagonists. Gotrek is a mighty-thewed Dwarvish (o ...more
Davek
Oct 18, 2013 Davek rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much better written than it appears from a first look. This deserves a much wider audience than just fans of Warhammer as its a fine body of fantasy work in its own right.

This was - and continues to be a great suprise - in both content and style it combines much of the best attributes of Fritz Liebers Fahfrd and the Grey Mouser series.

Its set in the Empire of the Warhammer fantasy universe and concerns the travels of The titular characters -
Gotrek - a dwarven Slayer - who is seeking a glorious
Ed C
Jan 23, 2010 Ed C rated it it was amazing
I think Bill King's "Slayer" series is a great epic. Even if you know nothing about the Warhammer World, I think King paints a great picture of it for you, and you tend to learn as you go along, sometimes with the characters themselves.

The two main characters work excellently together, and across the series Felix (the young idealist) ages and hardens to the world as he is dragged along behind Gotrek (the dour dwarven warrior) who remains as craggy and hardened as he was on the first page, in inc
Terence
Oct 26, 2010 Terence rated it really liked it
Gortek and Felix is a book based in the rather infamous warhammer world, Gortek is a dwarven slayer...a doomseeker who must ritualistically commit suicide by finding ever greater enemies and killing them until he finds a monster of such unimaginable power that he himself is destroyed, along the way he meets felix jager a down-on-his-luck drunkard who foolishly pledges to record the doomed slayers life tale, Gortex has unsuprisingly be unsuccsesful killing everything from skaven hordes to bloodth ...more
Christian
Jun 08, 2010 Christian rated it it was amazing
The book Gotrek and Felix: The First Omnibus by William King is a collection of the first three books in the Gotrek and Felix series. The story starts when a young poet/revolutionist Felix Jaeger has his life saved by a dwarf named Gotrek Gurnisson. They soon become friends and Felix eventually finds out that Gotrek is a Slayer; a dwarf seeking out a heroic death in battle to pay for a past crime. That night, when both were extremely drunk Felix vowed to follow Gotrek and record his "death saga" ...more
David
Mar 07, 2010 David rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It was the second Warhammer novel I read and I was completely drawn into the story. It is fast faced and the action never stops. I love Gotrek, he completely hooked me into dwarves. I am more of an elf fan so that is no mean feat. Feix was also interesting and we really get to see him grow as the book progesses.

The first part is a series of short stories that I find really builds up the characters and lets us get to know them. Lots of monsters, lots of fighting, lots of charac
Michael
Mar 01, 2013 Michael rated it liked it
I only read the first book of the series, "Trollslayer" and liked it although I didn't want to. My favorite fantasy authors are Robert E Howard, Fritz Leiber, Michael Moorcock, and Karl Edward Wagner, who I feel are the creators of Dark Fantasy and Sword and Sorcery. I did like the stories in this book and found them to be a quick and easy read. It is enjoyable although derivative. I am not a gamer but for those who are and even those who aren't this is an enjoyable read for fantasy lovers.
Felix
Delray Beach Public Library Public Library
This book tells us about Gotrek’s and Felix’s first major adventures. Their first adventures include fighting viscous undead, mutant trolls, and sinister cultists and mutant beast men. Their second adventure takes place in the city of Nuln, the second greatest city in the empire. There they fight the disgusting ratman, called the Skaven who plan an invasion on the city. Their final adventure takes place in the far north, in a land called the Chaos wastes, where time itself is said to not exist. ...more
Marty
Nov 11, 2008 Marty added it
I loved this book. At first the violence level kinda shocked me, but once i got used to it, the adventures of Gotrek and Felix just get better and better.
Against the backdrop of a D'n'D-like fantasyworld infested with monsters of all kinds and warlike people groups. Gotrek, the outcast dwarve with the magic axe, must seek a heroes doom by dying in battle against a superior opponent. The only problem with that is that he keeps winning all of his battles. Felix is an educated human also outcast fr
Christopher
Sep 17, 2015 Christopher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To be short: It was epic! Loved all three books, and my love for the characters grew with each book. I noticed the style of the book changed when Daemonslayer came along. I personally liked the change, however I did miss the little comments on Felix's part, going over what happened in between. Gotrek was what I expected in a Slayer, and Felix was the reader in essence. Best villain, who I am sensing is going to be a regular, goes to Grey Seer Thanquol. He was the epitome of a skaven over lord, a ...more
Gabe Quinn
This is a great book.It combines the fantasy of the warhammer universe with the stoic stance of pure on adventure!The dwarf Gotrek is a lovely fellow and will really make his way into your heart while Felix is there to keep you feeling like your grounded but in the end this novel is an amazing read.I recommend this book to people who love action books.
Rik
Feb 28, 2015 Rik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rik by: Joseph
I really enjoyed this book, especially Skavenslayer which was hilarious. The Skaven make great characters, well described and full of character. Daemonslayer was a great Dwarf story, with a fantastic end battle. The omnibus ends with some stories told by other authors, which serve to demonstrate how good William Kings writing is.
Christopher Dodds
Dec 26, 2014 Christopher Dodds rated it it was amazing
This book has been awesome to read again, I love the story and the dark humour between the character's Gotrek and Felix that cannot be told about only be read. But my most favourite moment of reading this omnibus is the non stop violence that continues through out it.
Steven Foot
Feb 22, 2015 Steven Foot rated it really liked it
A good set of stories that were well written in a concise and dramatic way. It was thoroughly entertaining and enjoyable, can't wait to read the next compendium.
Nonethousand Oberrhein
The Human poet and the suicidal Dwarf
The international RPG world of Warhammer comes to life with two of the most lovable and unique fantasy characters: Felix Jaeger is a Human poet, quick with his sword, but quicker with his pen (and tongue); Gotrek Gurnisson is Slayer, an expert Dwarf fighter seeking honorable death to redeem himself. The clash of the two adventurers’ cultures and personalities is as captivating and entertaining as the clashes the two endure against any type of foe in the first
Christian
May 26, 2011 Christian rated it it was ok
Good basic fantasy fare. Kinda generic at times but what lifts the book a little is one of the character's (Felix) introspection at the insanity of his situation when he gets into these crazy situations fighting Chaos cultists, undead, daemons, etc. William King writes these kind of thinking characters well and I enjoy listening in on this inner life. Oh and there's even a little romance that humanizes these crazy over the top adventures. Reading about these adventures help pass the time.
Noah Soudrette
May 30, 2014 Noah Soudrette rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This book consists of three previously published books, the first being a loosely linked short story collection. The short stories here are fairly entertaining and decently written. There's not much to say about them as they're really nothing special, just a bunch of raucous fantasy stories to help pass the time in an enjoyable, non-thought provoking, manner.

*addendum*

I never got back to reading the other two parts of this books, and I'm pretty sure I sold it.
Eric
May 18, 2014 Eric rated it really liked it
It started a little shaky, but as the three books went on the author seemed to better find his voice and to set tone with description rather than direct statement. Although some of the earlier parts may have been tedious, by the end, the journey was quite fun. I liked the references to the Warhammer game, and its rules and effects, so the book may have less to offer if you're just comparing it to other fantasy.
Ron
Dec 11, 2012 Ron rated it it was amazing
This is a story of a manling (human) sworn to follow a dwarf to his doom and record the events. Unfortunately for Felix (the human) the oath was remembered when he sobered up. The action is intense and the story line consistently well written. It's not highbrow literature and I'm looking forward to getting into the next omnibus.
Nicholas Mastrodicasa
I read the first 8 books but they followed to close of a pattern so I ditched them. Still the Warhammer setting is interesting and Gotrek is such a cool badass character that it kept me going. I liked the insight into the Dwarves as well and Gotrek's quest. I'd suggest reading them for these reasons.
Jason Hoff
Jan 26, 2014 Jason Hoff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Black Library knows how to put an omnibus together. Not only do you get three amazing books but you get a handful of fun short stories.
Jon
Jul 05, 2011 Jon rated it really liked it
Shelves:
Good, fun, mindless fantasy. The writing is solid and the chapters are almots short stories, so the reading goes quickly. The setting is a bit darker than the usual sword and sorcery fare, but it's very good. Very enjoyable stuff.
  • The Chronicles of Malus Darkblade Volume One
  • Manslayer
  • Brunner the Bounty Hunter
  • Heldenhammer
  • Gotrek and Felix: The Anthology
  • Dwarfs
  • Vampire Wars (Von Carstein, #1-3)
  • Caledor
  • The Blood Angels Omnibus, Volume 1
  • Road of Skulls
More about William King...

Gotrek & Felix (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Trollslayer (Gotrek & Felix, #1)
  • Skavenslayer (Gotrek & Felix, #2)
  • Daemonslayer (Gotrek & Felix, #3)
  • Dragonslayer