Start by marking “The Biggest Snowball Ever!” as Want to Read:

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  77 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
A little snowball fight turns into the biggest snowball ever, sweeping up everyone in its path -- and tomorrow is Christmas Day! Will the children be rescued in time?
Published October 1st 1998 by Candlewick Press (MA) (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Biggest Snowball Ever!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Biggest Snowball Ever!

Jessica LeBaron

John Rogan

This book is about children that go out to play in the snow. They build snow men, and start having a snowball fight. A boy named Paul gets hit with a lot of snowballs, and to try to get his friends back, he goes to the top of the hill and starts pushing snow down the hill towards his friends. He ends up slipping and gets caught in the ball of snow rolling down the hill. The giant snow ball gets bigger and bigger and captures a lot of Paul's friends as it rolls
Sandgraham
Jan 28, 2016 Sandgraham rated it liked it
Cute book to read with young students. I especially liked the rhyming words.
Natalie
Mar 04, 2016 Natalie rated it liked it
This story is about Paul and Claire on Christmas Eve. There is snow outside and they bundle up to build a snowman with their friends. They gather old clothes that no one wears anymore to dress up their snowman. Then Claire has the idea to throw a snowball at her brother Paul. A snowball fight begins. Paul then decides to make a really big snowball, but gets trapped in it along with all their other friends. Claire was lucky enough to not get caught and goes for help so they will be able to enjoy ...more
Rosa Cline
Feb 17, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, christmas
This is a simple written storybook, that a beginner reader could read alone, or like us have it be read to the young children that can't read. The story begins at Christmas Eve with a big snow. The siblings go out to build a snowman then neighbor children join and they begin a snow ball fight. Then a big snowball turns into a HUGE snowball that gets lots of the children mixed in. But they do make it out in time to go to sleep for Christmas the next day. A fun written story that will bring giggle ...more
Jenna Arntz
Sep 08, 2015 Jenna Arntz rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I love this book! It was one of my childhood favorites. This is a very creative story and I would read it to my younger elementary school students; probably kindergarten or first grade. I think the children would find the story humorous, especially when all the children get stuck inside the giant snowball. Many children would probably see this story as a mirror story, because many children have snow ball fights in the winter.
Meg McGregor
Jan 22, 2015 Meg McGregor rated it it was ok
A little improbable tale but fun enough, for an adult, to read one time.

Paul decides to get revenge on his friends for pummeling him with snowballs. He creates a huge snowball but gets trapped inside it!

As he rolls down the hill, the snowball gets larger and larger, and soon traps most of Paul's friends with him.

A humorous tale. Little ones will probably want to hear it over and over again.
Aesha☆
Dec 01, 2009 Aesha☆ rated it it was amazing
i read this book every day in the winter

summary:

a little snowball fight suddenly turns into the biggest snow ball ever,
sweeping up everyone in its path-including Paul and his friends-like a giant bowling ball.
oh, look! its caught another pair! and tomorrow is Christmas day! will the children be rescued in time?
Maria Kiguthi
The pictures are good and if you don't have easily scared kids it is a fun story. My son (7) worried that the kids in the snowball would be killed before the parents could get them out. If your family has experience with avalanches or similar maybe don't read to/with them.
Anna
Dec 18, 2008 Anna rated it liked it
I read this story to my students (sixth grade) today and it was so-so. I guess the idea of a huge snowball that eats people is kind of funny and the kids kept laughing about that but the ending is really inconclusive and abrupt. I'd opt for some other holiday book instead.
Christie Rice
May 02, 2010 Christie Rice rated it it was amazing
This would be a great book to read on a snow day!This book explains how the entire community comes together to help the children who are tracked in a huge snowball.
D.shelton
This is just a fun book to read in the winter months especially if you are expecting snow.
Diana Pettis
Feb 09, 2013 Diana Pettis rated it really liked it
Xander and I read this book today. It reminded me of the snow outside.
Sarah marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Cathy
Cathy rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Jocelyn Stark
Jocelyn Stark marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
ForemanTeaches
ForemanTeaches marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Amber
Amber added it
Jan 25, 2016
Nicole
Nicole rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Liz Palma
Liz Palma rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2015